For Americans, he's Son Goku. Plain and simple.
Sean Christian Schemmel (born November 21, 1968 in Waterloo, Iowa) started dubbing in 1999. His first (and breakout) role would be the providing the voice for Goku in Dragon Ball Z (in other words, he became the English voice of possibly the most powerful and famous Shōnen hero of all time). He originally wanted one of the villain roles, since he only saw a few episodes of the series before being cast, and NEVER knew who Goku was before walking into the recording studio! Once he saw that he was pasted on all the posters on the wall, he realized he was cast as "The Guy"! With Kai, and new video game adaptations, he is still voicing Goku to this day.
He did some other roles for Funimation before moving to New York to work for 4Kids Entertainment. Under 4Kids, he got what may be his second most famous role — Lucarionote in the Pokémon franchise and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U, who is often compared to Goku by English-speaking fans for that very reason. He still occasionally returns to FUNimation since Kai started being dubbed and 4Kids Entertainment has since gone by the wayside.
In 2013, he moved to California and currently is doing work there as well.
Notable roles from Sean Schemmel:
- Mr. Akashi and Shigeru Murota in Yu Yu Hakusho
- Amidamaru, Rio, and Nichrom in Shaman King
- Black Narcissus in Sonic X
- Bobasa and Karim in Yu-Gi-Oh!
- Dr. Vellian Crowler, Ojama Yellow, Elemental Hero Neos, Neo-Spacian Dark Panther, Mr. Phoenix, Mathmatica, Mad Dog, Doctor Collector, Thelonious Viper, Crystal Beast Cobalt Eagle, Trapper, Elroy Prescot, Sky Scout, Guardian Baou, and Chaos Sorcerer in Yu-Gi-Oh! GX
- Greiger, the MC, Zigzix, Rudolph Heitmann, and Hans in Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's
- Paradox in Yu-Gi-Oh!: Bonds Beyond Time
- Bronk Stone, Orbital 7, Kaze, Tetsumi Stone (Bronk's mother), and Kazuma Tsukumo in Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL
- Elliot Grant in Mew Mew Power
- Gaston and Conrad in Berserk (1997) and Berserk: The Golden Age Arc. Lampshaded in the Outtakes, where Guts asks "So, which one of you is Goku?"
- Adult Goku, King Kai, Nail, Goku Black, Vegito, and Gogeta (the latter two with Christopher Sabat) in the Dragon Ball series
- Mr. Haywood in Magical DoReMi
- Helmeppo, Hachi, and Kuroobi in the 4Kids dub of One Piece
- Dr. Indigo in the FUNimation dub of One Piece: Strong World
- Morrison, Archie, Juan, and Cyrus in Pokémon
- The titular character in Munto
- Onsokumaru in Ninja Nonsense
- Batman in The Dark Knight Rises Gameloft Game. Yes, Goku is also the Goddamn Batman.
- Black Doom and Doom's Eye in Shadow the Hedgehog
- Goku, King Kai, Nail, Tokitoki, Vegito, Gogeta (the latter two with Christopher Sabat), and Goku Black in video games based on the Dragon Ball series
- Hamilton Horstachio in Viva Piñata
- Horace in Skullgirls
- Lucario in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
- Makuta Teridax in BIONICLE: The Game (yes, really)
- Ricardo Gomez in Shadow Hearts: From the New World
- Strong and various ghouls in Fallout 4
- Sun Wukong in Smite
- Zander in Dinosaur King
- Charlie Grimsley in Lego Scooby Doo: Knight Time Terror
- Dickie Ranford in Speed Racer: The Next Generation
- Fender in Car's Life 2
- Gonard (and additional voices) in Kappa Mikey, who is rumored to be a Goku Expy. He stated it was a coincidence. He also voices nearly all the Large Ham Villains Of The Week.
- Dark Opal in the DC Super Hero Girls: Hero Of The Year
- Sh'Okanabo, Constable Biggles, Master Khan, and about three dozen minor characters in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Mirage Raphael from Turtles Forever
- Slim and King Habib on Sofia the First
- Truth or Punishment Cube in Star vs. the Forces of Evil
- Valtor/Baltor in the 4Kids version of Winx Club
- Veruca Salt's father in Tom and Jerry: Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
Tropes concerning Sean and his roles:
- Approval of God: He has met Masako Nozawa, the Japanese voice of Goku, and been on panels with her at various conventions, and, while he considers her the true voice of Goku, she approves of him dubbing the character in English.
- Hot-Blooded: Has a tendency to let his emotions come out, often without thinking about something before he speaks or does anything about it.
- For instance, he doesn't like taking credit for another actor's works, and he really doesn't like it when someone takes credit for his, as stated in his interview with Geekdom101. This lead to him getting Peter Kelamis uninvited from Kamehacon in 2018 (Kalemis alluded to this on twitter), but soon had them reinvite him when they talked about it afterwards.
- Irony: Despite the fact voicing Son Goku is his best role ever, he really doesn't have a high opinion on Goku during Super and honestly thinks his actions there are really weird. He's not the only one, since there are others who have major problems with how Goku's portrayed in Super. That being said, Sean still gives it all in his performance.