Pat & Stan (Pat et Stanley) is a French animated TV series created by Pierre Coffin and animated by Mac Guff (both of the Despicable Me fame). The show follows a pink hippopotamus Pat and the orange dog Stan - two best friends who turn the world around them into all sorts of crazy adventures.
From 2004 to 2010, there were released 362 half-minute long shorts, 39 7-minute episodes and the 26-minute movie The Treasure of Pit and Mortimer (Le Trésor de Pit et Mortimer). All of them can be viewed here.
Pat & Stan provides examples of:
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: Most of the time this is the dynamic between The Ditz Pat and Straight Man Stan.
- Deadpan Snarker: Stan is often extremely snarky towards Pat and makes fun of him when he thinks Pat is acting like a coward for no reason. He's also often proven wrong afterwards and ends up being on the recieving end of things.
- Hates Baths: Stan really hates baths. First 7-minute episode "Bath Time" reveals that Pat has a whole day dedicated to cleaning his friend, which Stan is obviously not happy about.Pat: You have so many layers of dirt, I feel like an archaeologist! I could be rubbing and scrubbing all day.
- Herr Doktor: Professor Chi Chi speaks with German accent, always wears a white labcoat and creates strange inventions.
- Name and Name: Pat & Stan.
- Not Where They Thought: In the short "Peeing 2", Stan is desperately waiting outside of what he thinks is the bathroom door. Pat comes by and fixes the door, so Stan runs in. That's when Pat reveals that it was actually their closet door.Pat: That's funny. Why is he going in the closet? The bathroom's right here.
- Sluggish Sloths: Stuart is a narcoleptic and has a Running Gag of falling asleep at the most inopportune times.
- Something Person: Pat & Stan's superhero identities, Patman and Woofman.
- Toilet Humour: Sometimes invoked by Pat. For example, the "Cloud" short, where the duo creates various weather effects while sitting on the cloud - Stan makes rain by peeing, while Pat causes lightning by farting.
- Stan: Okay, that's about enough for today, folks. See you next time!Pat: But wait, where's the joke?Stan: We don't have to make a dumb joke every time we come out here! (slips on Pat's Banana Peel and falls)Pat: I happen to like dumb jokes. (laughs) See you around!