open/close all folders
Trace was born into a poor family of farmers, but his talents in magic were quickly recognized and he was recruited into the Templar at a young age. He rose through the ranks and eventually took over the organization as Grand Templar following the death of his first wife. He quickly became known as a tyrant, feared by Humans and Keidran alike. His incredible power allowed him to dominate all those who opposed him. Then his memories were stolen along with his deep-seated hatred for Keidran. He now travels alongside Flora, a Keidran he befriended in his ignorance. However, his memories are slowly returning, and with them a past he would prefer remain forgotten.
- Amnesiac Dissonance: The man he is now is a perfectly nice one. The man he was was a psychotic, paranoid Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds Evil Sorcerer who everyone was scared of.
- Berserk Button: Do not hurt the women he loves. Seriously, don't.
- Black Magic: He tried to master this to bring his dead wife back, and is probably one of the most skilled users of it in the world. Unfortunately for everyone, black magic has detrimental effects on a practitioner's sanity...
- Break the Cutie/Corrupt the Cutie: "Templar!Trace" is actively trying to perform this on Trace, presumably to regain control of his body again on a permanent basis. He recognizes Flora as an obstacle in this goal, so he's trying to break them apart, currently favoring fostering doubt of the Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe variety. It helps that Trace and Flora's unborn Half-Human Hybrid is (so far as they know) the first one in a long time, if not ever.
- The Dark Side Will Make You Forget: Trace began studying Black Magic to find a way to bring his beloved wife back from the dead. Somehow, his goal turned from that to "become leader of the humans and turn them into an instrument of Keidran genocide".
- Enemy Within: Trace's Super-Powered Evil Side has recently proven capable of communicating with him, and is in fact trying to turn him against Flora by suggesting she's been unfaithful to him and is now pregnant with someone else's child. Trace initially laughed it off because it was clearly lying, as he tells Flora... but he's just been told she really is pregnant... which it doesn't waste any time trying to use to its advantage.
- Facial Markings: A blue triangle on the lower side of his left cheek. Hilariously, he wasn't aware that he had a tattoo on his face until Keith asked him about it.
- Interplay of Sex and Violence: Trace tends to sport a lot of scratchmarks after he and Flora have sex, due to the combination of her claws, his lack of fur, and their general enthusiasm. Trace accepts them as Worth It.
- Interspecies Romance: With Flora. Which has recently made him the father of an impending Half-Human Hybrid, though he's only just learned this as of comic 738.
- Love Makes You Evil: Trace's Start of Darkness was when a Keidran's poisoned arrow killed his wife. Turning to Black Magic, he promptly clawed his way to the top of the Templar hierarchy and began directing them in blatantly genocidal plans against the Keidrans and Basitans. Admittedly, his mania was intensified by studying the Black Magic; the death of his wife was what pushed him over the Despair Event Horizon and start studying Dangerous Forbidden Technique in hopes of bringing her back from the dead.
- Mayfly-December Romance: He knows Flora is rapidly approaching middle age for a Keidran and it bothers him. A lot.
- Nec Romantic: Trace's initial motivation for learning Black Magic. Unfortunately, The Dark Side Will Make You Forget.
- No Pregger Sex: Averted; he isn't the least bit put off by making love to Flora despite her visibly pregnant state, and in fact is eager to celebrate the truth being out when she suggests they make love afterwards. Afterwards, he's shown commenting on how much he's missed being intimate with her.
- Red Right Hand: His left hand has been left an eerie blackened hue as a result of black magic backlash.
- Superpowered Evil Side: "Templar!Trace", the psychotic side of him that ruled his body before his Laser-Guided Amnesia. It's recently started actively talking to him.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: The Black Magic turned him into one before he became amnesiac, a genocidal, power-hungry, and bitter man who hated the entire cosmos for taking his wife away from him, in particular Keidrans. His Superpowered Evil Side is the part that remains that way.
Flora was born in the southern rainforests but her tribe was attacked by raiders when she was three. Her parents were killed and she was sold into slavery. Flora was lucky enough to be purchased by a friendly human family who treated her more like a daughter then a slave. Thus, Flora recalls her days of slavery with an unusual fondness. She has no memory of the day her tribe was attacked. Flora eventually was allowed by her human family to return to her people. Due of her knowledge of human nature and language, she was chosen to be a representative of the Tiger Clan and a marriage was arranged between her and a prince of the Wolf Clan. The arrangement fell through, though, when her caravan was attacked. She was saved from the human attackers by Trace, who had just recently lost his memories.
- A-Cup Angst: Flora is very petite in terms of bust-size, and she really doesn't like it much. She often gets mildly jealous of more buxom newcomers.
- Divine Intervention: Flora's half-human baby is due to Neutral's intervention. Although it's strongly implied it's more that the god in question has been preventing human/Keidran sex from producing crossbreeds until now.
- Cat Girl: Though further down the Sliding Scale of Anthropomorphism than most; she has feline-like digitigrade legs, a full-body coat of fur, and what is implied to be a muzzle-like face, though this is less pronounced than it is with the Wolf and Dog Keidran we've seen.
- Half-Human Hybrid: She's currently pregnant with one of these, though she takes a while to accept she's pregnant, and doesn't reveal it to the father until comic #738.
- Interplay of Sex and Violence: Trace tends to sport a lot of scratchmarks after he and Flora have sex, due to the combination of her claws, his lack of fur, and their general enthusiasm. Flora does feel guilty about it, but they just tend to keep happening.
- Interspecies Romance: She originally had an Arranged Marriage with the Prince of the Wolf Keidran, and she's now in a sexual/romantic relationship with Trace, a human.
- Longest Pregnancy Ever: It's taken over 5 years of real-life time for Flora's pregnancy to advance a few months in-comic.
- Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe: She's initially terrified that Trace will accuse of her of being unfaithful when he discovers her pregnancy, because humans and Keidrans have never had children together before. So far, he shows no signs of disbelieving her, but everyone else around them is skeptical, which means she's still worried about this.
- No Pregger Sex: Averted; once she finally comes clean and Trace shows he accepts her claim, she's quite eager to make up for the recent lack of sex in her life. She's quick to agree with Trace about missing it, afterwards.
- Obvious Pregnancy: Subverted. Flora's only just starting to show and so her bulge is still quite subtle; the largest it's been so far is in the chapter 16 title page.
Keith was born on the Basidian Islands, a large landmass located near the mainland. His father was a General, his mother was a soldier, but she sheltered him from military life for much of his childhood. Like all Basitins, he did eventually join the military, but at 8 years of age, late for most Basitins. Keith was blamed for his parents death at the age of 13 and banished from the islands. He was ordered not to return until he brought back the Grand Templar.
- The Atoner: Mostly for things that weren't his fault, though he actually did kill his father.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He and his dad were at ends for most of his childhood, he came home one evening to find his dad had apparently murdered his mom, then he accidentally killed his dad whilst defending himself. For this, he was exiled from the island until and unless he could bring the leader of the Templars back to the Basidian Islands. He was taken in by a female fox keidran, Laura, and was going to give up on going home and get married... and then she cheated on him before the wedding, so he left her and went on in search of his quest.
- Fantastic Arousal: Like all basitins, his ears are very sensitive, and so it's easy to turn him on by touching or kissing him there.
- Word of God also proclaims that foot-fetishism is effectively universal amongst Basitins, hence the reason why bare feet are considered obscene. It's unclear if Keith still has this fetish, or if spending so long amongst keidrans, who run around bare-pawed all the time, has caused him to lose any sense of eroticism to them.
- Fragile Flower: He cries a lot.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Made clear in Comic #809; he does genuinely see Natani as "one of the guys", but despite that and his own heterosexuality, he is attracted to Natani as well.
- Impossible Task: Keith was set the impossible — perhaps even suicidal — task of "bring back the Grand Templar" as a condition of his banishment. He was just as surprised as anyone when an amnesiac Trace cheerfully accepted his invitation.
- Killer Rabbit: He's the smallest member of the group, with even Flora being almost a head taller than him. He's also incredible strong and tough, immune to poison and heals a lot faster than a human does. He's the only one besides Natani and Red who remembers his training as Trace is an amnesiac.
- Incompatible Orientation: Invoked. Though he does have feelings for Natani, he doubts anything will come from it, since he knows and respects that Natani's a female-to-heterosexual-male transgender and is, as far as he is aware, either asexual or only interested in women. Keith is very shy to kiss Natani, but with comic 808, though, he's been educated otherwise, making for an apparent subversion of this trope. He admits in the next comic, his reluctance is because he recognises Natani as male, just as Natani sees himself as being male.
- Interspecies Romance: Used to have one with Laura, a fox keidran, and there's presently a fair amount of Ship Tease with Natani, a wolf keidran.
- Love Dodecahedron: Where to begin? Prior to the Basitin Isle arc, Keith had his ex-girlfriend Laura, who he tried to forget about, and then he and Natani started developing something. Then, on the Basitin Isles, said ex-girlfriend comes back looking to start things up again, a random female guard (Madelyn) becomes infatuated with his fighting skill, and it's strongly implied that his best buddy Alaric is a gay man with a crush on Keith and a perfect willingness to flirt. It then seems to boil back down to a Love Triangle when Laura and Alaric end up dead, and Madelyn joins the crew.
- Love Hurts: After being exiled from the islands, he fell in love with a fox keidran and almost married her... but then she went and slept with someone else before the wedding day, so he wandered off heart-broken. Then he starts running around with Trace and Flora, a human/keidran couple who initially bring back bitter memories of his unfaithful lover, causing him to be quite hostile towards them. Then he gets involved with a crazy wolf keidran who is physically female but thinks of herself as male, with hints of a mutual crush forming between them. Then his old fiancée returns and reveals she was drugged before the wedding to trigger her heat... but, before they can sort things out, she gets killed. Then Natani, the aforementioned wolf keidran, offers to help him get some closure with a spell... but he can't bring himself to end it, despite the fact that he knows it's an illusion that's sapping his life-force...
- Finally seemingly averted when Natani comes clean about his crush on him and they start a tentative relationship.
- Mistaken for Gay: First by Flora, then by Maddie, both times due to his interactions with Natani. Just how well this trope applies is highly debateable, due to the confusing and somewhat self-contradictory nature of sexuality when it comes to Keith and Natani's involvement.
- Our Orcs Are Different/Our Dwarves Are All the Same: Basitins seem to be based a lot on tropes often applied to both Orcs and Dwarves. They're a small but immensely strong and tough species, very warlike, naturally inclined to military service, resistant to poisons, and with no natural affinity for magic, even compared to Keidrans.
- Trauma Conga Line: See the Dark and Troubled Past entry above? That's Keith's backstory. And then there's what's happened to him since the story started: he found out Laura had been drugged to make her sleep with someone else and that she'd been looking for him to try and reconcile, only for her to get killed saving him. And then his best friend from when he was a kid got killed. And then he found out his mother had been murdered by an old "friend" of his father's because he thought she was no good for him, implying his father had basically committed suicide on Keith's spear. And then Natani cast a spell to try and help him come to terms with Laura's death, but he almost died from the strain of it.
- You Can't Go Home Again: Keith learns this the hard way. He survives, but loses what little left he holds dear.
Natani was forced to live homeless with his brother Zen after their parents and tribe were destroyed by human Templars. He eventually disguised himself as male (Natani identified as female at the time) and, along with his brother, joined an assassins guild to make ends meet. Due to an accident during an assassination mission, Natani became magically and permanently linked to his brother, and much of his brother's personality overpowered his own, as did Zen's gender identity. Though Natani realizes his body is not what is traditionally considered "male", he identifies as male and is therefore a man.
- Big Damn Kiss: Lays one on Keith in Comic #465. They don't have time to talk about it until Comic #806 onwards, over 340 comics later.
- And then he does it again in Comic #809 after Keith admits he does see Natani as one of the guys.
- Can't Spit It Out: Natani cannot bring himself to admit his feelings to Keith. Justified due to the fact he's still struggling to admit his attraction to Keith to himself and the fact Keith just lost his former lover.
- Averted in the May 5 2014 comic (aka, Comic #807), where he finally starts talking with Keith about his possible feelings for him. In the very next one, Natani unthinkingly blurts out that he wants Keith to kiss him.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Eventually admits his attraction to Keith... and he reciprocates. Doesn't want to outright call it a relationship, though, because of how hard it is for him to wrap his mind around it.
- Incompatible Orientation: Sort of. Natani is biologically "female", and retains enough of his former persona to find men (or possibly only Keith) attractive, but the bulk of his mental persona is heterosexual male, meaning he's repulsed at the thought of being with guys at the same time he's attracted to them. This is, understandably, leading to a lot of frustration on his part... especially now it turns out that Madelyn is on-board the ship now. Eventually, he forces himself to admit to Keith that he's attracted to him.
- Mistaken for Gay: Both Flora and, as of comic #820, Maddie, think Natani is a gay man in love with Keith. The truth is... rather harder to describe.
- The Nose Knows: One of Natani's problems is a purely visual disguise won't fool other Keidran; she has to fool their sense of smell as well.
- Love Triangle: It looks like a Type 3, tentative Type 4 is developing between him, Madelyn and Keith; Natani is attracted to Keith, though he can't admit it to him or himself, Keith has at least some attraction back to Natani but is mostly caught up on his dead first love, and Madelyn is quite obviously interested in Keith, who is unaware of her crush on him.
- Master of Illusion: Natani's a decently skilled wizard in his own right. His focus is on illusions, and he's quite good with them, but like most Keidran he has little inherent magic power and needs an external power source for anything persistent or fancy.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: For an assassin, Natani is a pretty lousy fighter. Even the comic's author notes that the "famous Magi Brothers" owe much of their hype to luck and their own boasting.
- Transsexual: Due to having parts of his soul filled in with his brother's, Natani's gender identity is male, despite his body not "matching up" to what is normally viewed as male.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: When he was younger (and identified as female) and initially joined his brother in Assassin Training.
- You Should Know This Already: Natani is transsexual.
Karen is the hyperactive younger of the Taverndatter sisters. She doesn't care about races or wars or religions. She just enjoys interesting stuff, and if nothing interesting is happening, she tends to cause it. Karen's set of Keidran ears were given to her as a curse by Trace, whom she was annoying. The curse backfired, however, when Karen decided she loved the ears and wanted to keep them.
Maren is the bossy elder of the Taverndatter sisters. She's one of Trace's current "girlfriends," though Trace and her were never seriously involved. They met at her tavern as Trace was passing by during his missions. She knew Trace still loved his wife, who had passed away years before; and she knew she was really just being used by Trace as a momentary distraction. But she stayed with him, nonetheless.
He was one of Trace's friends from the Templar Academy. However, he dropped out after a few years when he showed little magical development. He later joined the local militia of his hometown. He hates and distrusts all Keidran, which causes complications when circumstances force him and his friends to make common cause with Sythe. He's also developed a crush on Raine, which rocks his whole world when her true nature is revealed
The daughter of Trace's predecessor Grand Templar Mary Silverlock and High Templar Euchre, a male wolf Keidran shape-shifter unknowingly accepted into the Templar ranks. Raine has a powerful magic potential but no formal training, so her results tend to be erratic. Like her father she has a human and a Keidran form. Unlike her father she has little control over her transformations between them because her mother hid this ability from her using a series of increasingly powerful magic artifacts. Losing control over her emotions means losing control over her form. Raine currently only retains her human appearance due to the powerful spell on the metal cuffs she wears, but as that spell only works while the cuffs are closed she constantly risks exposure.
- Blessed with Suck: Sythe tells her that her Keidran form is pretty cute but Raine, who doesn't want to be a Keidran, doesn't want to hear it.
- Chained by Fashion: She has to wear enchanted shackles because without them her ability to control her form-shifting is too unstable and she reverts back to Keidran form.
- Cute Little Fangs: in her human form. She also has yellow eyes and shaggy fur-like hair.
- Cute Monster Girl/Petting Zoo People: By comic #811, she's managed to partially shift back into human form, leaving her with a form that has Keidran ears, tail, forearms and legs with a human torso, upper arms and face.
- Cursed with Awesome: Raine suspects that her Involuntary Shapeshifting is a punishment from the gods for her parent's transgression of (unintentionally) exploiting Euchre's shapeshifting abilities to create the first human/keidran hybrid.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Her father is the Keidran shape-shifter High Templar Euchre and she has inherited his shape-shifting ability. Her mother is Mary Silverlock, Trace Legacy's predecessor as Grand Templar. When she is calm and her limiter breaks, she transforms only half-way. This may or may not be her "true form". It's hard to tell with shapeshifters.
- Interspecies Romance: Raine is the Half-Human Hybrid result of one of these, and there appears to be a mutual crush between her and "Red". Sythe also thinks she's cute, but there's no sign that Raine reciprocates.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting: Her emotions can cause her to shape-shift from human to Keidran.
- Most Fanfic Writers Are Girls: As a gag, there's a story she wrote about "Mrs. Nibbly" in the character section where she claims Mrs. Nibbly is a widower who wanted something more. She further claims that is why she was brave enough to join the two-legged beasts.
- Mystical White Hair: In both forms, though she's got a lot more hair in her wolf form. She inherits this from her father, who was a white wolf Keidran in his natural form and a white haired Bishōnen in his human form.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: She's the daughter of a wolf Keidran who had the innate ability to shapeshift into a human form and she can shift shapes as well. She even references the trope.
- Sarashi: binds her breasts for modesty even while in wolf form.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Raine can change her form but this ability has been suppressed her whole life so she never developed much control over it.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not Symbolic?: Raine's magic anti-transformation talismans are slave shackles
- White-Haired Pretty Girl: in her human form.
- Windows of the Soul: Red initially believes she's been replaced by a Keidran but one good look into her eyes convinces him she hasn't.
Prince of the Wolf clan and Flora's former fiance. During a raid on the human village Sythe is forced to choose between his loyalty to his people and killing humans he actually knows. Unfortunately for him he hesitated just a bit too long and was forced to throw in his luck with Raine, [Database Error], and the Taverndatter sisters to seek a place where Keidran and Human can live and let live.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: He and Red take the role of leader when it is clear an assassin is after them.
- Awesome McCoolname: Zigzagged, he's named after the scythe but he misspelled it.
- Category Traitor: Thanks to Karen, he is now considered a race traitor and Zen believes his punishment for it will be death. He is equally horrified to learn that a Keidran is working with the Templar.
- Cloudcuckoolander: He shows signs of them when he's shown to be Not So Above It All. Antagonized by Red for so long and under the threat of death by the assassin, he snaps a bit and pulls his weapon on a squirrel (he thought it was the assassin trying to sneak up on him) which he then adopted and started calling "Mrs. Nibbly". Red points out that he's started to refer to the squirrel as a person and that it's weirding both he and Raine out.
- Deadpan Snarker: Notable even among the "B" crew, who tend to be fairly snarky as a group. It causes problem with Red when he rejects all of his plans outright.
- Foil: He is this mutually with Red. He is a non-racist Keidran who is a lot more snarky. He is also smarter or at least more in control of his thoughts whereas Red digs himself into holes. He also plays the part of warrior, but is really the Non-Action Guy, at least compared to Blood Knight Red. Their whole subplot involves them fighting whereas Raine has to be the mediator.
- Friend to All Living Things: He is, surprisingly, one of the few non-racist cast members and adopts a squirrel despite being a wolf Keidran.
- Non-Action Guy: Sythe was raised to be a diplomat, not a warrior. He still tries and all it does is lead him to kill the Author Avatar and pull a weapon on a squirrel which he proceeds to adopt instead of eat.
High Templar Euchre
A male wolf Keidran unknowingly accepted into the Templar's ranks thanks to his innate mystical ability to flawlessly transform into a human man in every physical detail. Raine's father, he also mentored Flora during her childhood in his guise as a Keidran indentured servant. Is he an infiltrator or a race traitor? Either way, he appears to be playing a deep game of his own.
- Hot for Teacher: Mary Silverlock was the head of the Templar academy
- Interspecies Romance: Had a sexual relationship with a fellow Templar, future Grand Templar Mary Silverlock, which resulted in Raine.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: He's an anthropomorphic wolf who has the ability to shapeshift into a human form.
- Pet the Dog: Allowed Mary and Raine to escape when Trace wasn't looking
- Smug Snake: Raine describes her father, as described to her by her mother, as being "manipulative and self-serving" by nature. He never even confessed to Mary about what he was until she confronted him on it, having learned by reading the mind of his cousin... who he was willing to let another Templar hang in order to preserve his secret.
- Trickster Mentor: to Flora when she was little.
Raine's mother and Trace's predecessor as Grand Templar, Mary has spent much of her life trying to protect her daughter Raine by concealing her and suppressing her powers.
- Hot for Student: Euchre. That didn't work out so well
- Interspecies Romance: Had a sexual relationship with a fellow Templar, the Keidran shape shifter Euchre, which resulted in her Half-Human Hybrid daughter Raine. Probably counts as an aversion as Mary didn't know Euchre was not human, and learning it broke their relationship.
- Karmic Transformation: Trace turned her into a wolf Keidran and enslaved her after he overthrew her as Grand Templar.
- Old Shame: In-Universe, her secret half-keidran daughter, Raine.
- Missing Mom: Was alienated from Raine throughout much of her childhood, then became separated from Raine while they were attempting to escape to the hidden village of Lyn'knoll, a place where humans and Keidran live together in peace.
- My Beloved Smother: Not in the usual sense, but her habit of using magical artifacts to suppress Raine's powers in order to conceal her shapeshifting prevented Raine from developing much control over her magical abilities.
A white dragon allied with Euchre and tasked with watching over Trace's group.
A young female Basitin who has developed a massive crush on Keith, despite (or perhaps because) of his Dark and Troubled Past
. Originally appeared as an overly energetic guard who acted as a witness to the duel between Alaric and Keith
, she later sneaks on-board Erik's ship as they leave the Basitin Islands, becoming the Tagalong Kid
- Cat Girl: She acts like one despite being a Basitin: Curious, energetic, and has a knack for mischief.
- Animal Eyes: Madelyn has the same eyes as Flora: gold and slitted like a cat. Do note that she's also the only Basitin whose drawn with visible pupils.
- Child Soldier: Like all Basitin she was enrolled in the army at a young age, and is currently 13.
- From a Certain Point of View: Maddie doesn't lie, exactly, but she certainly likes to shade the truth, telling Keith that she "wouldn't leave without informing my superior officer" when she actually just left a note for her mom.
- Genius Ditz/Obfuscating Stupidity: Madelyn can act very silly and juvenile one minute, clever and intelligent the next. Kind of like any thirteen year old, actually, but it's not clear how much of it is an act.
- When Maddie slips a note to Natani (who can't read it) Natani assumes it's just an adolescent girl's juvenile love note to her crush because Maddie covered it with cutesy decorations. Turns out it's actually a vital report on Keith's battle with Alaric... even if it is written in the phonetic equivalent of a Valley Girl accent.
- She's one of the five officers presiding over Keith's trial.
- She somehow escapes from the brig of Eric's ship despite being locked in a cell.
- She manipulates Flora and Trace by making insinuations about Eric, who is, after all, a Handsome Lech.
- She builds an elaborate structure from random junk because she's bored in 746.
- She then instantly realises that the best way to summon everyone quickly is to disrupt her sculpture, which she does by removing one key component in the next comic.
- King Incognito/Rebellious Princess: Turns out she's actually the daughter of King Adelaide of the Basitins. The others on the ship don't know this yet.
- Love Triangle: Maddie clearly has a crush on Keith. Keith and Natani have a rather complicated relationship developing already.
- Tagalong Kid: To the rest of the main gang, so far.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: Tells Trace and Flora that Erik tried to molest her in order to avoid being sent back to the brig, but her smirk while hugging them implies this may be less than true.
The Author Avatar
. It is a minor Running Gag
that he shows up only to get murdered a few panels later.
A renowned eccentric trader and owner of Keidran slaves, Eric becomes an ally to the main characters early on. In exchange for some opportunities to have Flora model for him, he provides transportation to and eventually from the Basitin Isles.
- Base Breaker: Just how much of a good guy he is elicits a lot of debate and controversy, with assessments ranging from "depraved asshole" to "fundamentally decent and making the best of it he can" to "good but flawed" to "well-meaning but sometimes clueless". This is what happens when a slaver becomes an important regular character.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He's a very good trader, very well read on a variety of subjects, speaks fluent Keidran and Basitin, and is an expert on Keidran anatomy and physiology. He's also a serious lech whose expertise in Keidrans is due to his lustful attraction to them.
- Chivalrous Pervert: He is very much a lech, and loves drawing Keidran erotic pictures, but he's fairly polite and affable. The "Mutiny" story arc, however, casts some sinister suggestions as to just how "chivalrous" he may be towards the Keidran he actually owns...
- Furry Fandom: Is an In-Universe furry fan, well-known for his fetishistic love of Keidrans. He loves to have sex with them, and fills his home with various erotic portraiture and sketchwork, most of it self-done. He has expressed similar interests in Basitin women as well, but three things (their tendency to avoid human territory, their far more prudish culture, and the fact nobody deals in Basitin slaves) has stymied his efforts there.
- Like Brother and Sister: To Kathrin, ironically, despite the fact she genuinely loves him and she's a sex slave.
- Loveable Sex Maniac: The initial assessment/portrayal of him, but after the "Mutiny" story arc, this became a lot more controversial.
- The Pornomancer: Somehow talks a Basitin into posing for one of his nude portraits. Basitins are very conservative and xenophobic; although artwork is exempt from their decency laws.
Kathrin "Spots" Vaughan
Eric's most loyal and dedicated slave, the attractive Kathrin is a selectively bred feline/canine hybrid. Very optimistic and happy-go-lucky, but somewhat naïve, due to being brought up in shelter as a slave.
- Blessed with Suck: A lineage of selective breeding makes Kathrin very physically attractive, and her erotic appearance makes her very valuable as a slave. Thing is, as she explains to Natani, it also causes people to pigeonhole her, because they can tell on sight that she was bred to be a sex-slave. Furthermore, canine/feline Keidran hybrids are infertile, as she is.
- There's also the fact she has the sincere affection and love of her master, which causes him to give her plenty of freedom and respect... but also means he won't touch her sexually, since he sees her like a sister, even though she herself is deeply in love with him and would welcome sex with him.
- Brain Bleach: In-Universe, she's clearly wishing for some after Natani explains Zen got to experience his first heat after they were linked.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Despite being bred to be a sex slave, she is, as her character page entry notes, very naïve about sex.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: She's a sex slave who never has sex. Justified because her owner is very fond of her, but sees her as a sibling and not a sexual partner, despite his general Keidran fetish.