Here are some of the characters who have appeared in the Toriko anime and manga.Warning! Spoilers ahead!
open/close all folders
The main duo of the story, the Gourmet Hunter Toriko and the five-star chef Komatsu, the series follows their gourmet adventures and are the center of the group. However, they're joined by others, depending on the arc.
- "10 Fold, Spiked Punch!"
- Action Duo: With Komatsu.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade/Razor-Sharp Hand: His Fork and Knife techniques, where he uses his hands as a fork (for stabbing) and a knife (for cutting). This later extends to his legs, which are even sharper due to the legs being three or four times stronger than the arms.
- Adaptive Ability: Due to his Gourmet Cells, he can adapt to the harshest environment, whether it be in a sub-zero ice cavern, low-oxygen environments or even places with high gravity. He can also gain Acquired Poison Immunity.
- All-Loving Hero: Very merciful and kind...as long you're not two things: food or people who disrespect food.
- Anti-Hero: While he's definitely not bad, Toriko only fights for his own goals. That said, he does have a heart of gold.
- Through Character Development, he becomes a genuine hero. For example, while in the Gourmet World after rescuing Komatsu he spent the entire time hunting for numerous and rare ingredients to help the people of the Human World. When he comes back he shares all that food without a second of hesitation, single handedly stopping Midora's famine.
- Armed Legs: His Leg Knife and Leg Fork, which are more powerful than his hands due to the legs being 3-4 times stronger than the arms. He has Flying variants of them as well.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: He only ever uses his bare fists (later on, his legs) and fighting techniques in combat.
- Barrier Warrior: His Fork Shield, which he can use to protect himself from attacks or enhance the power of his Nail Punch.
- Instant Armor: His Fork Armor, which is a suit of armor made of many many forks.
- Battle Couple: With Rin.
- Berserk Button: Hurting Komatsu and disrespecting life (ex. killing an animal without eating it).
- Big Eater: Even moreso than Goku and Luffy, which is saying a lot.
- Came Back Strong: Implied after his second, brutal fight with Starjun. The Eight Kings, aka the rulers of the Gourmet World, immediately realize they are in danger when he wakes up.
- The first time when he fights Starjun, he is overwhelmed by the latter until he takes the Jewel Meat and proceeds to defeat him easily, becoming much stronger than before.
- Character Title
- Converging Stream Weapon: His Cannon Fork, where he sends a barrage of Flying Forks that all combine into one really big Flying Fork.
- Ethical Hedonist: His stated life's goal is to eat lots of good food and compile his own personal ultimate full-course menu, but he also respects food and refuses to kill any creature he doesn't plan on eating.
- Game-Breaking Injury: He loses an arm fighting Tommyrod, but thanks to a process fueled by Body Horror, he's able to get it back.
- Game Face: When he's really psyched, his face contracts into a devilish grin, and a Hannya-like intimidation starts.
- Healing Factor: After mastering Food Honor and Immersion, Toriko gains a high degree of regeneration. To the point where he can regenerate his arm and leg that were cut off by Starjun and repair his broken leg in minutes.
- The Hero: One of Shonen Jump's smarter and older protagonists.
- Heroes Fight Barehanded: Toriko fights with his bare hands, although he can also manifest a knife and fork to attack stronger enemies with.
- Heroic BSOD: When Komatsu is kidnapped by Starjun, he becomes sullen and loses the will to eat.
- Idiot Hero: Averted. He's rather intelligent, using cunning and trickery in battle as well as being Mr. Exposition
- Image Song: "Fight And Eat!!"
- Large Ham: Well, he eats everything else, why not the terrain as well?
- Megaton Punch/Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs: His Spiked Punch combines these two. Its power/how many times it hits depends on how much he charges. He can also use both fists at once for double the hits.
- Also his Nail Gun, which is just the former trope, being a punch with the combined force of multiple consecutive punches.
- Mr. Exposition: A rare main lead in Shōnen example. He often relates how the biology of animals work and the economy of the Gourmet World in general.
- Mugging the Monster: When he came to Jidar, some gangsters with guns tried to mug him. That is, they tried to use pistols to threaten a guy who can curbstomp monsters you can't scratch with a tank. Justifiable in that Jidar was not part of IGO, meaning they didn't know that he was a world-famous Gourmet Hunter.
- Nice Guy: Despite his profession and his gluttony, he is a kind man.
- The Nose Knows: In fact it can gauge power levels and the ingredients used in recipes through the oils of the skin.
- Only One Name
- Power Makes Your Hair Grow: During the Bubble Fruit Arc when Toriko finally masters Honoring the Food, he eats an incredible amount of Bubble Fruits to give him a power boost. In the process the nutrients from the fruit make his hair grow really long.
- This is implied in the Gourmet World; Toriko has slightly longer hair and some stubble and mentions that it tends to grow much quicker than normal when he's there.
- Rated M for Manly: Of course!
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Has a blue demon inside of him along with the red demon he usually projects. Inverted in that the blue one is apparently bad enough for even the red demon to be afraid of.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: His inner demon is this.
- Sword Beam: Kinda, he learns how to use techniques similar to this trope, although they're more like "Flying" forks and knives. He can also use "rapid-fire types" as well. He speculates that they may be composed of "Appetite Energy". Later on, he can combine them with his sense of smell to turn them into Homing Projectiles that track the targets' scent.
- Thou Shall Not Kill: While he will kill, Toriko believes in only killing when he wants to eat. This separates him from some other Gourmet Hunters. Though he did try to kill Tommyrod, though no one can blame him, considering what a monster Tommyrod is.
- Took a Level in Badass: To give a quick example, Toriko could only do a 5 Fold Spiked Punch a couple of times before getting exhausted. In current chapters, he can do a 50 Fold with ease.
- Also, the Breath Dragon that gave him trouble when he first entered the Gourmet World, he dispatched with a single Flying Fork the second time they met.
- Even more badass after Timeskip. He's not intimidated at all by beasts with capture levels of 770, is the only Heavenly King who could find Ichiryuu's Main Course by just smelling the trail Ichiryuu made long ago. Even Coco exclaims that he can't see that far into the past with his electromagnetic waves.
- Unstoppable Rage: During one of the earliest arcs, after the mother Battle Wolf is shot, Toriko loses it.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: It was actually black when he was an infant, but turned blue for some unknown reason. Probably not anything important. His hair turns black again after his Blue Appetite Devil temporarily leaves his body to fight the Horse King.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: The Derous Knife he gets from Melk II. It's sharp enough to make a giant gash in a mountain from simply swinging it.
- Action Duo: With Toriko.
- Action Survivor: He survived having his eardrums being burst, and it gets crazier from there.
- Ascended Fanboy: Spends a lot of time fanboying over the more well-known chefs in the story that he idolizes, and it hasn't quite sunk in to him yet that he himself is now a famous chef with plenty of his own fanboys. This is especially true after the Four Beasts arc, when he becomes one of the Top 100 chefs in the world. During the Cooking Festival he spends quite a bit of time trying to get autographs from other competing chefs.
- Butt Monkey: Early on, he was often at the receiving end of many darkly humorous punishments, including dying from a heart attack thanks to Toriko Crackers.
- The Chick: Easily the most emotional and The Heart of the group, despite being a male example of this trope.
- Cowardly Lion: He is a very meek man, but he begins to overcome his fear through his adventures with Toriko.
- Gonk: Initially had an exaggerated flat nose but he has gotten cuter Particularly since the Meteor Spice incident and the timeskip of years in the Gourmet World; he now has more defined boyish features and looks EXTREMELY handsome.
- Game Face: Komatsu himself doesn't have one until the Gourmet World arc, but his Derous Knife does. When he draws the knife to defend himself, the beast attacking him perceives the Derous Dragon's presence and flees.
- Said "real" game face is a near exact replica of how Froese looks when invoking God Cooking.
- Healing Shiv: His Derous knife turns out to have the properties of a Revival Knife, due to Derous' having extraordinary regenerative powers. This basically makes him The Medic.
- Image Song: "Let's Cooking!", also used as a leitmotif for the "Gourmet Fortune" segment.
- Knife Nut: Well, he is a chef.
- Morality Pet/Chain: To Zebra.
- Nice Guy: He bares no ill will to anyone without reason and his kind heart is what attracts food to him.
- Oh Crap!: Has often this reaction to many scary/powerful beasts or fighters. One of the best examples could be chapter 217, after realizing that he's alone in a very dark tent with Starjun.
- Odd Friendship: With both Zebra and Brunch.
- Older Than They Look: The guy is 25. Really.
- Progressively Prettier: He has noticeably become less Gonky as of recent chapters.
- After eating the billions birds egg takes this to the extreme, as he looks like pre timeskip rin.
- Ship Tease: With Melk II not to mention the abundant Ho Yay between him and Toriko.
- Supreme Chef: He's able to cook extravagant foods, than he learns Food Honor and becomes able to cook difficult foods more easily, enough to compete with top ranking chefs.
- Took a Level in Badass: He's gone from being scared out of his mind by Level 5 to 9 creatures, to confronting ZEBRA on his actions. And gains his respect.
- Not only that, but his cooking's leveled up immensely. In order to make enough antidote cooking to save everyone, he asked for ten minutes to come up with a way to allow regular chefs to make a high-level special preparation dish. With just a few seconds remaining, he succeeds, only for it to be revealed that he found the method in FIVE minutes. The rest of the time he devoted to making it taste even better.
- Most recently, he cooked a meal that was so good, Midora said he could leave Bishokukai after promising that for any chef who could make him say their food was delicious. And he did it with the left behind ingredients that weren't stolen by NEO, some of which were probably Gourmet World ingredients he'd never seen before.
- Survives 1.5 years in the Gourmet World and thrives in it!
- He not only manages to prepare AIR, but manages to make it tastier than using the normal preparation method would have!
- Wound That Will Not Heal: Receives one after Teppei rips out and crushes his heart. Somehow Teppei also rendered the wound impossible to heal even with "Dark" techniques. Dark techniques can revive the dead — that's how bad the wound is. Since the "wound" is a gaping hole in his chest and a missing heart, this is a very bad thing. "PAIR" is the only thing that may be able to heal him.
Four Heavenly Kings
Tropes Associated With the Four Heavenly Kings
- Badass Crew: Ooooh yeah...
- Boxing Lessons for Superman: They all learn Food Honor, except Zebra.
- They also learn Enbu.
- Combined Energy Attack: The "Dinner of Kings", a giant ball of "Appetite Energy" that "eats" the target completely before releasing its "pre-chewed" meat.
- Happily Adopted: They're all orphans from poor countries adopted by Ichiryuu, who they see as a father figure.
- Power Fist: After eating "AIR", they become able to turn their left arms into the arms of their Appetite Demons. PAIR does the same for their right arm.
- Took a Level in Badass: They all take several levels in order to enter the Gourmet World.
- Upbringing Makes the Hero/Tyke Bomb: They were all raised by Ichiryuu to be not only the Human World's best Gourmet Hunters, but also its defenders.
Voiced by: Takahiro Sakurai (Japanese), Jarrod Greene (English)
- Acquired Poison Immunity: To the point where he can make new antidotes and poisons in only a few minutes.
- Aura Vision: Due to his eyes being able to see light spectrums that normal people cannot, he can see the electromagnetic field around living beings, allowing him to predict their future going off the field's size, color an movements.
- Bad Powers, Good People: Coco is kind, soft-spoken, and polite. He can also generate and release deadly toxins at will.
- Big Damn Heroes: During the Regal Mammoth arc.
- The Chessmaster: Coco is a brilliant strategist, as shown in the Regal Mammoth Arc and even more so in the Livebearer Arc. Hell, his actions against Livebearer put him very near Magnificent Bastard territory.
- Fortune Teller: His "day job".
- Game Face: Coco's "intimidation" resembles a Japanese-style ghost (long black hair and a Scream-like expression.
- Image Song: "Poison Teller".
- Locked into Strangeness: The results of the fight with Grinpatch show it ended in a complete draw - Coco's Devil Poison(comparable to say, Sunny's Satan Hair) damn near killed him to use, Grinpatch went a bit crazy after it got in him, and Coco's hair turned white from poison overuse.
- Master Poisoner: Coco is not only able to create and secrete various poisons in his own body - he also expert in all kinds of poisons, which suitable, since his enemies often has immunity, and he has to get crafty to kill them. Not only he can create poisons with various effecr, from ones, that paralyse targets to ones, that make their flesh melt away, he also developed adaptive poison, which can adapt to wictim immune systems and strike down foes, who normally would be immune to it. He so skilled, that he can poison even robots - by using gases, which turns into highly-corrosive acid on certain metals. Surprisingly, he is most nice person out of Four Kings.
- Nice Guy: He's called the "Gentleman of the Four Kings". Though, compared to Toriko, Sunny, and Zebra, anyone would seem like a gentleman.
- Only Sane Man: Compared to just how quirky or downright crazy his fellow Kings can be, he is the most normal in the group.
- Poisonous Person: He's afraid that he can hurt people with his great amount of poisons, so he shuts himself in, only interacting to tell people their fortunes...that is, until the Puffer Whale arc. After mastering Honoring the Food, he can produce more poison at once and newer types of poisons.
- Poison Is Corrosive: Can create acidic poison as well.
- Prophecy Twist: The two times he saw a Death Omen on somebody, they took fatal wounds, but they recovered from them.
- More specifically, they were physically dead, as in their hearts stopped. It's just that they were revived moments later.
- The Smart Guy: While all the Four Kings are smart, Coco is easily the one with the most use of it. The databook notably gives him a 10/10 in intelligence.
- Spontaneous Weapon Creation: He can create weapons out of poison by combining it with the clotting agents from his blood. To date he has made a katana, a bow and arrow, a spear, and even a suit of armor.
- Me's a Crowd: He can make clones of himself out of poison. After the time-skip he can bring them to life.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Technicolor Toxin: In the manga, his skin turns red and supposedly his poison is also red. In the anime, it's purple. It seems that the stronger his poison gets, the darker its color.
- Tonight Someone Dies: He gets "Death Omens" when somebody is close to getting killed. However, see Prophecy Twist.
- Universal Poison: The only way to describe his Poison Virus, a virus that that adapts into a poison to counteract the target's immune system.
Voiced by: Mitsuo Iwata (Japanese), Aaron Roberts (English)
- Agent Peacock: Flamboyant and powerful.
- Ambiguously Gay: He's flamboyant, but nothing has suggested that he likes other men.
- Anime Hair
- Attack Reflector: His Spatula technique in which his hairs take force and reflect it back.
- His Super Spatula uses multiple hairs for a single force and multiply it by varying degrees (depending on how many hairs he uses).
- Bishie Sparkle: Particularly in the anime.
- Don't Think, Feel.: This is what Yosaku tells him to do to increase his power, and it works.
- The Fighting Narcissist: A rare non-evil version.
- Hammerspace Hair: Weaponized. To the extent that he can absorb energy attacks and spit them right back at his attacker with his Satan Vomit.
- Image Song: "Arienhodo Beauty".
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's vain, superficial and narcissistic, but he cares for his friends and brothers and always does what's right.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: OH YEAH.
- Megaton Punch: By gathering a lot of hair together, he can create what looks like a devilish ghost to deliver great punches. He doesn't like to use it, though, because it's "not beautiful".
- Multicolored Hair: Justified in that his hairs are a touch sensory organ and each color detects a different stimuli.
- Not Quite Flight: Because of how thin his hairs are, when he uses them to stand on it looks like he's floating in the air.
- People Puppets: He can use his hairs to tie up enemies and control them like a puppeteer.
- It's not just 'tying them up'—that would be his "Hair Lock". Hair Marionette inserts his micron-width hairs into the opponent's body and controls their NERVES.
- Power Dyes Your Hair: His Satan Hair, which is his hair imbued with "Appetite Energy", making it an extremely shiny gold color and eat anything it touches.
- Power Makes Your Hair Grow: After mastering Honoring the Food, his hair count went from 300,000 to 1,000,000 and his range increased from 50 meters to 300 meters.
- Prehensile Hair: Up to Eleven.
- To drive the point home, he can even control his hairs after they've been cut off.
- Razor Floss: He can use his extremely thin hairs to cut through or impale things.
- Running Gag: He always ends up having to fight the ugliest, most disgusting opponents around. Considering that he's a Long-Haired Pretty Boy obsessed with "beauty", this does not make him happy.
- Tranquil Fury: Seeing the rotting corpses left behind by the Gourmet Corp. during the Regal Mammoth arc sends him into a stone-faced rage.
- Walk on Water: Only using his hair like the legs of a water spider.
Voiced by: Kenji Matsuda (Japanese)
- Anti-Hero: For one thing, he doesn't "give humble thanks" before eating something.
- Ax-Crazy: Holy shit.
- Badass: Possibly the biggest badass in the whole series. His first act after getting out of prison? Slaying beasts left-and-right.
- That's not even getting into why he got into prison in the first place. He wiped out 26 entire species. Ones that were strong enough to damage the ecosystem. In the Toriko universe.
- And most recently, he completely curbstomped a NITRO WHILE FIGHTING THREE OF THEM AT THE SAME TIME. The same Nitro that people are shitting their pants over—it's stated Zebra is one of the few people on the Gourmet Island who can completely destroy it in an instant.
- Barrier Warrior: Yes, really. He can use his voice to create armor made of sound that can protect other people. He uses it to protect Komatsu from afar during the Gourmet Pyramid arc. Much later he uses it to protect civilians during the battle with the Four Beasts.
- Berserk Button: "Cocky" people. Also, creatures that annoy him.
- He particularly hates liars, as he feels that lying to someone's face is the most "cocky" thing a person can do. One of the main reasons he likes Komatsu (outside of his cooking) is because he's particularly honest.
- Big Eater: To the point where he ate 26 species into extinction.
- Blood Knight: Toriko himself says that Zebra loves fighting more than anyone else he's ever known.
- Broken Ace: Technically a Type 1, he's the strongest of the four, but lacks the moral restraints of the other three.
- Brown Note: He can modulate the frequency of his voice to instantly kill anyone.
- Catch Phrase: "Don't get cocky!"
- Can't Hold His Liquor: He's insanely Badass, but staying sober is one of the few things he can't do.
- Deal with the Devil: Komatsu has to offer his services to Zebra to encourage him to take part in the Gourmet Pyramid.
- Death from Above: His Thunder Noise and Meteor Noise, the former looking like lightning bolts.
- The Dreaded: The very news of him getting release is enough to cause a global, social, and economic crisis. Entire developing countries disappear because of it.
- Flash Step His Onsoku Idou, allowing him to move at the speed of sound.
- Game Face: Zebra's "Intimidation" resembles a massive, scarred, bat-like creature.
- I Gave My Word: He might be an Ax-Crazy Sociopathic Hero with highly questionable ethics, but he considers lying beneath him. If he says he'll do something, he'll do it.
- Image Song: "Zebra!!"
- Informed Attribute: According to his "Capture Ability Data" Zebra's intelligence is 3/10. While Zebra is obviously the Heavenly King that does the least thinking, he rarely comes off particularly stupid.
- Jerkass/Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He tends to swerve in between.
- Large And In Charge: Bigger than Toriko as well as the strongest of the Four Heavenly Kings.
- Living Lie Detector: Courtesy of his "Hell Ears" and the reason he hates liars so much.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: To the extreme.
- The frequency of the sound vibrations does more damage than the sound itself.
- Megaton Punch: His Beat Punch, where he channels sound vibrations through his punch to do even more damage.
- Elemental Punch: Also his Sound Knuckle, which puts a bubble of sound around his fist to make his punches more powerful.
- Nightmare Face: The left side of his cheek has been torn off, showing all of his jagged teeth
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: Warden Love's pheromones have absolutely no effect on him.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Which is why IGO put him in jail in the first place.
- Rated M for Manly: Even more so than Toriko.
- Sociopathic Hero: Emphasis on "sociopath".
- Smug Super: His overall attitude, he's confident because frankly he has a lot of Badass to back it up.
- Token Evil Teammate: He shows absolutely no remorse for his actions. None.
- Took a Level in Kindness: At the beginning of the series, he was a bloodthirsty sociopath who just ate whatever he wanted; as of recent arcs, he's actively saving people from beasts and villains of his own volition.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Authority Equals Asskicking: To IGO.
- Badass Grandpa: Ichiryuu is, hands down, one of the three strongest men alive. The entirety of the Gourmet Corps' elites, save for Midora, would have no chance against him. The only people who stand on his tier are Midora and their brother disciple Jiro. And very possibly Joie.
- Big Good: Shares this role with Jiro. Jiro might well have to shoulder this burden alone now...
- Good news, Midora spares him!...but then a Blue Nitro finishes him off.
- Cain and Abel: Zigzagged a bit. He and Midora aren't blood brothers, but they're still bitter enemies and refer to one another as brothers, though Ichiryu wishes peaceful reconciliation was possible. Even at the end, Ichiryu seems oddly proud of his brother's power and deeply wishes they could have shared a last meal together.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: When he was younger, he'd pass out after drinking a single drop of booze. He's grown out of it with age, drinking wines with alcohol contents as high as 85% (though he still complains about its strength)!
- Cool Old Guy: To Toriko, and is actually much more humble than his initial presentation presents.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He acts very goofy and senile to Toriko when we first see him. And then the sparring match starts...
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Which is odd, considering he used to have dark, brownish hair.
- Gravity Master: He can create a gravitational pull to draw in creatures much larger than himself, reverse the gravitational polarity to push them away and fly through the air.
- In truth, due to his Winds of Destiny, Change ability, he is able to find the minority atoms that keep living things on the group and then alter the probability of him staying on the ground.
- His Name Is...: After being defeated by Midora, he is struck down by a Blue Nitro before he can speak the name of the true enemy that must be vanquished.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: After basically showing he could kick anyone except the leader's ass easily in the Gourmet Corp., it is revealed that a lot of his Gourmet Cells were sleeping. No telling how strong he will be once he is back to peak condition.
- Killed Off for Real: By a Blue Nitro right after Midora defeated and spared him.
- My Greatest Failure: Implied to have been his failure to kill Midora long ago after besting him.
- Not Worth Killing: Midora claims this is why he spared him.
- Peaceful in Death: After his death, he is shown smiling.
- Promotion to Parent: For all of the Four Heavenly Kings. He loves them like his own sons.
- Old Master: To Toriko, Coco, Sunny and Zebra
- Reality Warper: Essentially his ability to alter quantum physics through minority atoms in order to change the laws and nature of an object, making him able to alter the world's laws as he sees fit.
- Really 700 Years Old: Was the first student of Acacia, a Gourmet Hunter now worshiped as a god.
- Shaping Your Attacks: He can use Appetite Energy to create a pair of giant chopsticks to pick things up or use as melee weapons or projectiles.
- Story-Breaker Power: Ichiryuu's "Minority World" where the minority atoms, which disobey the normal laws of nature and physics, of an object take over effectively making him a Reality Warper.
- Walk on Water: More like he hops across it like a stone skipping on water.
- Winds of Destiny, Change: His signature ability seems to manipulate quantum mechanics. He can switch the probability of events, making miracles happen on a whim (like standing in midair and turning solid ground into quagmire) and reversing the functions of his opponent's own organ systems.
Voiced by: Jurota Kosugi (Japanese), Brian Mathis (English)
- Ax-Crazy: When he releases his Knocking, he fights like a berserker.
- The Alcoholic: All his dishes in his Full Course Menu are to do with alcohol, for one!
- Badass: Not nearly as much as Ichiryu, but so far we have yet to see his full power.
- As for chapter 221, we got a taste...
- Bald of Awesome: He did have some awesome hair back when he was a bandit before meeting Ichiryu.
- Loses it post-Timeskip when he becomes President.
- Blood Knight: When he releases his Knocking, he doesn't know who he's going to attack.
- Catchphrase: "Did you just call me HANDSOME?!"Everyone present: "No."
- Cool Old Guy: Although not old as Ichiryu especially considering that Ichiryu is over 400 years old, he's pretty much the closest thing to a Team Dad that the main group has.
- Death Glare: To the Gerold, followed by a "Would you mind getting back inside?" and a Curb-Stomp Battle.
- The Juggernaut: When he goes all out, as some unfortunate mooks found out.
- Megaton Punch: "FRYING PAN PUNCH!"
- When he goes all out, he has "WANTED PUNCH".
- Oh Crap!: When Toriko breaks the glass of the arena.
- Reformed Criminal: Was a bandit in this youth, until he was defeated/recruited by Ichiryu.
- He's now the president of IGO!
- Running Gag: People call him by name, only for him to mishear "Handsome". To the point that he mishears a panicking baby Regal Mammoth's shouts for "Handsome", at which point everyone and everything—including the panicking baby Regal Mammoth—stops to correct him.
- Super Mode: He also can use Knocking, this time to boost his stats up as well as his size. Or so we thought; the Knocking LIMITS his power, and he releases it to fight at full power.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: His immediate concern for the wellbeing of the devastated Human World, despite being heavily injured himself, causes Defense Director Rei to humor Mansam's Running Gag and falsely admit to calling him "Handsome".
Voiced by: Asami Tano (Japanese), Leah Clark (English)
- Action Girl: Tries her best to be one, though she's sadly overshadowed by other characters. Chapter 221 shows that she took an upgrade.
- Back from the Dead: She is technically "killed" by Starjun, but comes back thanks to her Gourmet Cells and a kiss from Toriko.
- Battle Couple: With Toriko now they are engaged!
- The Beast Master: Her job at the first Biotope Colosseum. She uses different scents to either excite or calm down the various monsters before/after they fight.
- Image Song: "Ring Ring"
- Stealth Pun: The kanji that make up her name mean "little bell".
- Improbable Weapon User: Armlets that shoot perfumes and scent clouds. On the other hand, said perfumes includes very useful ones effective against beasts or as a power-up for others.
- Scars Are Forever: Her scar is a bit unique in that she took a razor to her own face solely so she could have scars like Toriko. It hurt too much after the first one for her to keep going, though.
- She's Got Legs
- Sibling Yin-Yang: She's quite a tomboy, as opposed to her incredibly campy brother Sunny.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Toriko. This actually saves her life, believe it or not. And now they are engaged.
- Sweet Tooth: Eats mostly sweets, much to her brother's dismay.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: In the anime, the tomboy to Tina's girly girl.
- Took a Level in Badass: The next time we see her in action against the Gourmet Corp. army, she's putting tons of beasts to sleep at once and takes on Bei, Doshan, and Zaiper with her Fragrance Swords And she wins.
- She's now a Research Chief at IGO.
- Tsundere: Seen to be very rude at Mansam, she also blushes whenever Toriko looks at her.
Tropes Associated With Gourmet Corp.
- Actually A Doom Bot: When not able to fight in dangerous terrain, they send powerful robots called "GT Robots" to get foods for them.
- Always Chaotic Evil: The majority of the Gourmet Corp members we've seen so far are all very violent and malign people.
- The Bad Guy Wins: The three Sous Chefs—Tommyrod, Starjun and possibly Grinpatch—have won against their opponents.
- Midora manages to defeat Ichiryu, but a Blue Nitro kills him off.
- Big Bad: They are this to the series as a whole.
- Big Bad Ensemble: However, with the appearance of NEO, they aren't the only antagonistic group anymore.
- Bishonen Line: The weaker ones on the food chain are outright monstrous in appearance, while the higher-ups are far more human in looks.
- Body Horror: A lot of the Gourmet Corp do nasty things with their bodies.
- Dark Is Evil: Gourmet Corp is associated with hellish and often hideous things when compared to the IGO, which is far more noble and elegant in appearance.
- Evil Counterpart: To the IGO.
- Evil Evolves: As the IGO continue to get stronger by eating unusual foods, the Gourmet Corp do this as well, but they become more terrifying as they grow stronger.
- Evil Makes You Monstrous: Compared to the Bishōnen heroes, most of the Gourmet Corp are monstrous, truly beings of Humanoid Abomination levels.
- Evil Makes You Ugly: As they continue to eat certain foods, they become more and more repulsive in appearance.
- Evil Plan: To control GOD and all of the world's foods and capture chefs to prepare meals out of them; so that they can Take Over the World.
- Evil Poacher: The most Badass (and Jerk Ass) group of these you'd find in anime.
- Exotic Entree: Bugs and rare ingredients are their usual meals.
- Gluttony: All of them have this, but Grinpatch and Midora embody it.
- Humanoid Abomination: Most of the Gourmet Corp have mutated to animalistic, sometimes outright demonic beings.
- Jabba Table Manners: Compared to more mindful Gourmet Hunters, Gourmet Corp tend to be very repulsive when scarfing down food. They also throw away any foods that they don't need, leaving it for scavengers to eat.
- Kick the Dog: Compared to IGO (who will often Pet the Dog), they kill animals For the Evulz and don't even bother eating their kills—which is viewed as a heinous act in the series—and scorn their enemies and their own comrades for weakness.
- Knight of Cerebus: The situation always gets much darker when they show up, especially the Ice Hell and Gourmet Temple Arcs.
- Power-Upgrading Deformation: Compared to the IGO, who become more Badass with each consumption, the Gourmet Corp members noticeably become uglier when they get stronger.
- Unwitting Pawn: On the whole, they were this to NEO in hindsight.
- Villainous Glutton: All of them, Midora and Grinpatch especially.
- Animal Motifs: Tiger, namewise. His Battle Aura beast, however, is a turtle man beast.
- Anime Hair: A huge mass of whip-like Rapunzel Hair.
- Anti-Villain: Type 2
- Antagonist in Mourning: After finally landing the final blow on Ichiryu.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: To Gourmet Corp.
- A Pupil of Mine Until He Turned to Evil: To Acacia.
- Badass: Managed to nearly kill Ichiryu...while holding back.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Has managed to defeat Ichiryuu as of Chapter 254..
- Big Bad: Of the series prior NEO's debut, being forced to share the spotlight with them.
- Big Bad Friend: To Ichiryu.
- Tri-Beard Of Evil
- Berserk Button: It is not a good idea to insult the woman he thinks of as his mother.
- Berserker Tears: After nearly killing Ichiryu.
- Blow You Away/Power of the Void: The power of "Hunger Space, it consumes not only simple matter such as objects, but every atoms that revolves around the "space" that it touches, consuming even air itself, rendering any ability to manipulate atoms around it useless. And since it's invisible and its effects can only be seen by the tracks of its aftereffects...
- Body Horror: He produces several tongues out of his mouth to attack and defend himself.
- Cain and Abel: The Cain to Ichiryu's Abel, albeit by adoption rather than blood.
- Combat Tentacles: Can do this with his tongue, by multiplying it into several thorny tendrils.
- Cursed with Awesome: Undying hunger sucks, but Midora has managed to put it to good use in battle. His entire battle strategy is to basically eat everything around him.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Midora's response to Ichiryu's "Minority World"? He stops his own heart, making his survival the least probable possibility, and therefore reality.
- Gluttony: The embodiment of this, eating several mountains of food at a time, and he even weaponizes it with his tongue.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Midora may be a Villainous Glutton with an unceasing appetite who wants to deprive other humans of food, but even he thinks the Blue Nitro are crude gluttonous beasts that embody the worst parts of the Gourmet Age.
- Evil Counterpart/Shadow Archetype: To Toriko. Further details on his past show that he's what Toriko would be, had the latter not learned kindness and restraint.
- He's also this to Zebra, as the latter was very close to being like Midora had Komatsu not influenced him for the better.
- Freudian Excuse: Born to a village that would attempt to feed their infants to wild pigs, he had no one and stole food till he met Froese.
- Her death in trying to save his life. The kicker, he risked his life in order to find the Cure Water needed to make her feel better. From that point on, he became a Villainous Glutton incarnate.
- Generation Xerox: Is very similar to Toriko in his youth, in not only Big Eater tendencies but had an uncanny resemblance to the latter, especially as a young man.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has scars running over his eyes.
- Improbable Weapon User: Uses the Overly Long Tongue to digest high level beasts in seconds and produce a myriad of thorny tongues as well.
- Not to mention how he can tear the landscape in half with just a tongue.
- Instant Death Radius: His "Hungry Space" in which an invisible "Dinner of Kings" (yes, like the one the Four Heavenly Kings used) fills the vacuums created by his tongue and thus consumes everything within its radius.
- Misanthrope Supreme: Despises humanity in general, believing that they do not deserve the bounty of the Gourmet Age. So he single-handedly ended it, bring about a worldwide famine.
- Morality Chain: Froese's kindness turned him from a feral predator to a human being, and after inadvertently becoming the final factor that caused her death he not only plunges right back into total selfishness, but also blames the rest of humanity for what happened, shirking his own guilt.
- Never Speak Ill of the Dead: Despite him defeating and declaring that his brother was Not Worth Killing, when a Blue Nitro slays Ichiryu and tries to eat him, Midora claims that his brother is far too high a quality meal for scum like it, and he vows to bring Ichiryu's body to a place he cherished in life.
- Not So Different: His backstory of being a poor starving child is rather similar to Toriko's.
- Not So Stoic: Nothing rattles him in the present, but he actually cries when killing Ichiryuu.
- Off Screen Moment Of Awesome: Subverted, as chapter 246 is about to get into the details of how Midora beat Ichiryu.
- Overly Long Tongue: Weaponized.
- Picky Eater: Not even Century Soup can satisfy him, claiming only GOD can truly be a dish to be savored.
- Post-Stress Overeating: The reason for Midora for being a massive Villainous Glutton is because he's actually binge eating in order to cope with the loss of Froese.
- Pure Is Not Good: Froese notes that he truly respects food, especially since he shed Tender Tears at someone who wasn't grateful for food. Zoom to the present, and his pure obsession for food has turned him into something else.
- Rapunzel Hair: Black one, seems to resemble Sunny's and Starjun's hairstyle.
- Really 700 Years Old: Was apparently a student of Acacia.
- Rule of Three: Has three scars under each eye and his beard is tri-pointed.
- The Stoic: Even Century Soup, which can make anyone smile goofily did absolutely nothing for him.
- Story-Breaker Power: Midora's "Hungry Space" which is essentially an invisible "Dinner of Kings" that fills the vacuums created after his tongue eats the air giving him an Instant Death Radius.
- This also includes Midora's "Chameleon Cells" which lets him copy ANY AND ALL signature moves used against him. He's completely copied Ichiryuu's Minority World power, thus making him a Reality Warper; he used this power to revive completely dead soil in an instant for his eldest brother's grave.
- The Unseen: Until chapter 171.
- Unwitting Pawn: He was Acacia's. Acacia manipulated him into gathering Cure Water for some reason. Midora was also unaware that several of his higher ranked subordinates, including his tech expert and his head chef, were actually members of NEO.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Played with. While he started off as being extremely hostile, having to fend for himself in order to get food, he becomes a very lively child with Froese and Acacia's influence.
- But then Froese dies trying to save him, the kicker being that Midora only got that way in order to cure her. From then on, he was evil.
- Tiger Versus Dragon: With Ichiryu.
- Villainous Glutton: Like most of the Gourmet Corp, but Up to Eleven as he leaves a large pile of bones after each meal.
- He weaponizes it by making his tongue into an instant digestive, landscape-cutting, tendril-mass-attacking and blocking weapon.
- It's also Played for Drama, as he literally can never fully satisfy himself.
- Villain Teleportation: He seems to be able to do this. It's actually a form of Chameleon Camouflage.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Very much so, the one person that showed him kindness died protecting him, right after he risked his life to save hers. This pushed him into the final step towards evil.
- World's Strongest Man: When Toriko met him face to face, he was convinced that Midora is the strongest being on the planet and could easily destroy it. Even Jirou a fellow disciple of Acacia believes that he is now no match for Midora.
- Younger Than They Look: Even if he was a student of Acacia 400 years ago, he looks far younger than he should be (40s at least) when his fellow disciples Ichiryu and especially Jirou are much older-looking in appearance.
- Battle Butler: As Midora's waiter and personal aide, this trope seems to apply to him.
- The Dragon: To Midora.
- Improbable Weapon User: He uses plates to cut down the Hellboros and the Parasite Emperor, beasts that are ranked in the 80s level in power and didn't seem like a big deal to him.
- Know When to Fold 'Em: Even though he's completed his goal of getting the Century Soup, he had planned to go after Toriko in his weaken state to eliminate a threat. Only to be confronted by Setsuno who broke all of his plates by pressure alone as a warning if he attempted it. Realizing the task would be more trouble then it worth, he wisely withdrew from Ice Hell.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Eight arms to use his weapons.
- Noble Demon: With Starjun, the least psychotic and vicious of his organization and more than intelligent to know when he's outmatched.
- The Stoic
- Almighty Janitor: Despite being the second-strongest Gourmet Corp member, there are more than just a few people who rank above him. But, thanks to him still being a high-ranking member, the below also applies.
- Arch-Enemy: Is this to Toriko especially after making great impacts on each, Starjun finally finding a possible Worthy Opponent and Toriko suffering his second loss to a Sous Chef and Komatsu being taken away as a result.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He's implied to be the strongest of the Sous Chefs, thus earning justified fear from the lower ranks.
- Turns out to even more of one with the recent reveal of his true position as the second strongest of the group.
- Badass: Manages to stand up after taking over a 100 Nail Punches, and laughs about it.
- Following Tommyrod, he's the second Sous Chef to beat Toriko in a fight.
- Badass Cape: Worn over a Badass Longcoat that Toriko proceeds to destroy in a barrage of 50 Nail Punches.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Following Tommyrod's example, he manages to defeat Toriko albeit being beaten badly.
- Bishōnen: Cue fangirl Squee. He does have burn scarring on the side of his face and neck, but it doesn't detract much from his bishie splendor.
- Black Knight: His appearance with his helmet and medieval style clothing invokes this.
- Blood Knight: Is elated when Toriko literally "beats" the clothes off of him.
- Cool Mask: His Shiva Helmet. Toriko manages to destroy it in Chapter 218, in his No-Holds-Barred Beatdown.
- Cool Sword: For a while it seemed like an Ornamental Weapon, which is lampshaded by Toriko at one point; then in Chapter 236, he uses it to No Sell Toriko's barrage of knives and forks by melting them with fire.
- According to him, it's a special preparation knife.
- Cyclops: His Intimidation.
- The Dragon: First appears on a flying dragon? Check. Snags a Knight of Cerebus moment when his power isn't even fully transmitted by a remote control robot? Check. It takes everything The Hero has to beat him in that weakened state? Check. Able to No Sell an attack from every single Heavenly King in his first real fight? Check. Withstands a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown from Toriko just to measure his growth? Check. Shakes it off and defeats protagonist? Check. And for the kicker, Joie then confirms that Star is the second in strength among the Gourmet Corp., as Starjun's Gourmet Cells awaken for the first time as a result of fighting with Toriko!
- Dragon with an Agenda: He seems to be looking for a mysterious ingredient, and has partnered with Ootake for his Food Luck.
- The Dreaded: Even his own comrades shit their pants just by being in his presence.
- Evil Counterpart: Interestingly, he seems to be this to Ichiryu - absurdly strong, holding back in almost every appearance, and it was recently revealed that his Gourmet Cells were sleeping for much of the series. And since Ichiryu defeated Midora in their first match while Midora triumphed in the rematch, the next Starjun/Toriko fight should be very interesting.
- Flaming Sword: His Burner Knife, which "cuts and grills" at the same time.
- Generation Xerox: In the current arc, he looks a lot like a younger version of Midora.
- Giant Flyer: The first time he appears he's standing on a colossal, serpent-like dragon. During the assault on the Chowlin Temple he rides the even more colossal Big Bang Shark.
- Knight of Cerebus: Just look at his helmet!
- But for real, he is the first major antagonist to make an appearance (by proxy) and marks the introduction of the Big Bad group in the series (by extension). Even though he's in a robo, he takes one look at Toriko and Coco and immediately puts them both on high alert. He then walks right past them. And slaughters everything in his path on his way out of the cave.
- Lightning Bruiser: The new G.T. Robots can faithfully reproduce the user's movements with a measurement error of less than a millisecond. For Starjun, that's still too slow.
- I Let You Win: His "fight" as a G.T Robot counts as this, since his full power wasn't displayed inside the machine
- Noble Demon: So far, he seems to be the least murderous of the Gourmet Corp, only killing when presented with an obstacle, compared to his colleagues who'd soon as kill anything that moves for no reason and then not even eat it.
- No Sell: So far he's used his flames to negate Coco, Sunny and Zebra's attacks, and later do the same with his sword.
- Playing with Fire: Seems to have some mastery over heat—the first time he appears, he roasts a Butt Bug alive by touching it, and later it makes a candle's fire grow just by moving his hand over it.
- Rapunzel Hair: Has already long hair in his debut, but it's taken Up to Eleven to the point he resembles a younger version of Midora without his outfit.
- The Rival: More and more of their interactions set up him being this to Toriko.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: In chapter 217, he appears inside the completely enclosed tent where Komatsu and Zaus were supposed to cook. Komatsu notices him only after being grabbed by the arm.
- The Stoic: Starjun reacts to most things with abject boredom, only getting excited when Toriko manages to hurt him.
- Technicolor Fire: In the anime at least, his flames are blue.
- Third Eye: Grows one after his fight with Toriko awakens his hidden potential.
- Took a Level in Badass: If it were possible, after having his Gourmet Cells awoken in his fight with Toriko, he's become even stronger than he already was.
- Wreathed in Flames: His Camp Fire technique.
- Worthy Opponent: He sees Toriko as this, especially after becoming elated when his over 100 Nail Punches manage to strip him of his clothes and mask, and leave him very bruised.
- Animal Motif: Parasitic insects in general, though his Intimidation is a weird octopus thing.
- Animalistic Abomination: The only way to describe his Intimidation, really.
- Ax-Crazy: The most blatant one of the Vice Chefs.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Takes down Toriko, though he loses an arm in doing so. He's then defeated by Teppei, while exhausted from his fight with Toriko.
- Blood Knight: Seeks battles in order to compete over food.
- Body Horror: He contains the insect eggs in his stomach and they hatch when he spits them up. Urrrgh...
- The Beastmaster: Of the parasitic variety, and God is it scary.
- Bee Afraid: Not just bees, though. ALL KINDS OF INSECTS.
- Bee Bee Gun: One of his techniques allows him to do things similar to this. With his mouth.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: He can spit these out. The manga implies that after being beaten by Toriko, Tommyrod's Gourmet Cells have evolved to let him keep even worse bugs in his arsenal.
- Combat Tentacles: Cuts Sunny's hair with a huge, pincer-tipped tentacle seemingly composed of different insectile parts merged together, and worse, it comes out of his mouth, complete with Nightmare Face.
- Establishing Character Moment: Kills a Wall Penguin's parents and calls them trash, and does so for no reason other than they annoyed him by being "noisy".
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: He doesn't seem to understand why people why people would be angry at his actions, often responding to their outrage with a blank stare.
- Evil Counterpart: At first Tommyrod is this to Toriko, being pink-haired to his blue, uncaring to others while the latter is kind to others. Represents repulsive bugs that devour everything while Toriko represents the forest that protects all in its presence. Has a strength normally in long range, but has skill in close range, while the latter has the skill set in reverse. Finally, Tommyrod loses his cool as the fight goes on while Toriko remains calm.
- Then once he fights Sunny it's obvious that they're the most emotional of the main trio of fighters in their groups, Sunny being extremely empathetic and passionate while Tommyrod is extremely unstable, though he hides it with a facade of calmness. Both focus on long range moves, which Sunny prefers to be elegant while Tommyrod doesn't mind being hideous.
- Faux Affably Evil: Unlike Starjun and Grinpatch, his politeness (barely) covers up the fact that he is a disgusting sadist who would soon kill his own allies and intimidate them with death rather than care for them.
- Graceful Loser: His last thoughts before being eaten alive by Sunny's hair are that he had fun fighting Sunny.
- Humanoid Abomination: The most obvious of the whole Gourmet Corp so far, as he is a multi-fanged humanoid with functional wings, containing thousands of insects within his body, as well as being the largest of the three main attackers of the Corp.
- Jerk Ass: Unlike Grinpatch and Starjun, he is unpleasant and uncaring, spending an entire arc showing how much of a jerk he is to everyone he knows.
- Kick the Dog: His role in the Century Soup arc is this, killing a penguin's parents and not eating them while calling them trash (he did it because he thought they were annoying), tries to kill his own allies once they lose, kicks his own bugs because he considers the failures to be trash...
- Killed Off for Real: By Sunny.
- Eaten Alive: He's finally put down by Sunny's Satan Hair's Appetite Energy, which devours him completely.
- Knight of Cerebus: While Starjun was the first serious threat, the Darker and Edgier as well as Bloodier and Gorier elements truly appeared once Tommyrod unleashed his monstrous nature into what was a tame series for the most part. As well as the fact that he brings Toriko to the brink of death for the first time.
- Lack of Empathy: He doesn't even seem to care about his subordinates, and Toriko notes this about his personality in their battle, comparing him to a bug.
- Large And In Charge: While not obvious at first, one can even say he's normal-sized compared to his imposing fellow chefs. That's until he removes the bands that restrain his full power, and he bulks up—and by bulking up, we mean being twice the size of Toriko, who had dwarfed him before this.
- Lightning Bruiser: Especially after taking off his limiter bands.
- Nested Mouths: He has bugs that burst out of his mouth, but but until he released the Parasite Emperor, a ghoulish face would show up frequently.
- Nightmare Face: When he's ready to kill, though his "standard" look isn't exactly normal or comforting, either.
- Made his ultimate one, complete with extremely wide, red eyes, as he prepared to kill Sunny.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: From keeping hideous bugs within him to having razor-sharp fangs, he can even become bigger and more disgusting.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Twice. The beatdown he gives to Toriko is the first time Toriko has felt so close to death. Then he beats Sunny to a pulp.
- The Noseless: Lacks a visible nose.
- Monster Clown: Looks like one, and is definitely a monster compared to Starjun and Grinpatch.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: And actually uses them to bite chunks out of Toriko.
- My Death Is Only The Beginning: Well, he didn't die, but his release of the Parasite Emperor, when he knew he would be drained by it, counts.
- Power Limiter: The bands around his arms, legs, and abdomen. When he takes them off, he bulks up to ridiculous proportions.
- Doubles as both a One-Winged Angel as well as a crippling weakness, as he is now much easier to strike.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Not him, the sad bug in his mouth— the Parasite Emperor, a Level 81 Mutant Hybrid Insect.
- Winged Humanoid: He has cockroach wings, probably surgically attached.
- Villainous Breakdown: In his fight with Toriko, he went from smug to a snarling monstrosity full of rage.
- Worthy Opponent: Considers Toriko one after fighting him, and Sunny as the latter is killing him.
- You Gotta Have Pink Hair
- You Have Failed Me: He immediately tries to have Bogey and Barrygamon be eaten by bugs in a fit of rage for losing to their enemies. Fortunately, Toriko saves them, even if the gesture is not returned.
Voiced by: Yuji Mitsuya (Japanese), Chris Rager (English)
- Affably Evil: Laid-back and playful. The evil part comes from him literally wanting to eat Toriko.
- Ambiguously Gay: A lot of his interaction with Toriko show that Grinpatch might be have more in mind than just eating him.
- The I'm a Humanitarian angle is the only thing keeping it from being completely overt.
- Animal Motifs: The mosquito.
- Acquired Poison Immunity: See Extreme Omnivore. His body acts as a filtration system for any and all toxic agents, even Coco's Poison Virus (which adapts to get around the victims' immune system) was useless.
- Ax-Crazy: Like Tommyrod, but has Dissonant Serenity to back it up.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Implied with Coco's fight, since he emerged from the hole that the latter drove him into, though Coco is later revealed to have survived the conflict.
- Black Eyes of Crazy/Black Eyes of Evil: Black eyes with three white pupils.
- Blow You Away/Super Breath: With a straw.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Chapter 262 reveals that Joie "cooked" him at some point, leaving Grinpatch listless and unresponsive.
- Breath Weapon: What he can do with those straws.
- Brilliant but Lazy: Was able to fight on par with Toriko, but threw it because he was being lazy and thus there is no gauge of his full power as of yet.
- Especially since he got out of his fight with Coco unscathed compared to his colleagues.
- Gluttony: Aside from Midora embodies this the most out of the Gourmet Corp.
- Extreme Omnivore: Swallows tons of blobs of Coco's extremely corrosive poison and claims it's tasty.
- I'm a Humanitarian: He MEANS it when he says he wants to drink up Toriko and Terry.
- Improbable Weapon User: Who says straws can't be badass?
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Has four arms, but the second pair is implied to be grafted on.
- Noodle Incident: Whatever happened in the pit with Coco is a mystery, but from what is seen, Grinpatch seemed to have won.
- However, it is later revealed that Coco survived.
- Off Screen Moment Of Awesome: Whatever happened during the fight with Coco is unseen, but from Grinpatch's appearance, it seems the latter won.
- Right-Hand Attack Dog: His giant beetle. Unlike many Gourmet Corp. members, he's pretty nice to it.
- Scary Teeth: Black pointy ones.
- Vacuum Mouth: Another thing he can do with the straws.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: In comparison to his two now one colleagues, he wears no clothing other than bandana, pants and shoes.
- Achilles' Heel: His sacrum bone. When Takimaru shoots it out of his body, he becomes paralyzed, though he eventually manages to heal it.
- Animal Motifs: Hermit crabs, both for his masks and his disgusting "Lodge" ability. To drive the point home, his co-worker Cedre calls him "Hermit Crab freak" at one point.
- Blondes Are Evil: Without his mask.
- Body Horror: He can elongate his body because he has a skeleton composed of 4000 bones and 4600 joints.
- Cool Mask: Too bad he ditches it after his initial appearance. He manages to get another one by the next raid on the Gourmet Chefs.
- Eaten Alive: The Hellboros gulps him down after Teppei revives it. He manages to survive, though.
- Epic Flail: He holds a weight and sickle in each hand while using his arms as the chains to emulate a kusarigama.
- Grand Theft Me: His flexible body allows him to take control of all sorts of bodies.
- Rubber Man: Played with; his bone structure allows him to elongate his body to become very flexible.
- Smug Snake: Despite having an overwhelming advantage over Takimaru, his ego prevented him from finishing him off.
- Suicidal Overconfidence: Takimaru is only able to defeat him because Bogey's arrogance gave him enough time to concentrate enough for the final blow.
Voiced by: Kimura Masafumi (Japanese), Mark Fickert (English)
- Armor Is Useless: Averted—wears a skimpy but extremely durable armor made from the Crush Turtle's shell. Too bad it's no match for Match's katana.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Prides himself on his brute force.
- The Brute: Relies on brute strength and isn't too bright.
- Fangs Are Evil: More like tusks.
- Lightning Bruiser: He's surprisingly quick and agile for such a big guy.
- Slippery Skid: Sort of. He can secrete oil from his skin to deflect gunfire.
- Spikes of Villainy: Sports some on his helmet and armor in chapter 221.
- Wrestler in All of Us: His attacks are similar to wrestling moves.
Voiced By: Takahashi Hiroki (JP)
- Blood Knight: When he gets going...
- Fate Worse Than Death: Brunch charges every one of Elg's bodies with electricity that will shock him as long as he's alive. Since Elg is immortal...
- Turns out it exhausted even the immortal life capacity of the Herac, leading to his death.
- Healing Factor: Up to Eleven, as he regenerates from a lightning attack into an army of clones!
- Go Out with a Smile: Dies content when Tengu assures him that his hideous face would have been normal, or even handsome, in Tengu's home village.
- Gonk: His true face is utterly hideous.
- Implacable Man: Takes all of Tengu's attacks without flinching due to his regenerative powers.
- Immortality: Due to merging with a rare horse beast called "Herac", he achieved regenerative immortality.
- Killed Off for Real: By Brunch the Tengu.
- Me's a Crowd: If he's ripped to pieces, each piece will regenerate into a full copy of himself.
- Not So Stoic: Tengu's defiance brings out his Nightmare Face angrily stomping on him for thinking he stood a chance
- One-Man Army Literally.
- Our Centaurs Are Different: For one thing, it gives him immortality.
- Was Once a Man: He merged with a baby Herac, with the implication that it was forced.
- Really 200 Years Old: By his own admission, making him officially the second-oldest member behind Midora.
- Red Baron: "Ageless Elg".
- Villainous Breakdown: Has one over the course of his fight with Brunch the Tengu.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Initially in the anime, but they fixed his hair color by the next appearance.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: His eyes are black, with lavender irises.
- Curtains Match the Window: Lavender hair and irises.
- Karma Houdini: He beat up Komatsu and got the Century Soup, and so far in the manga has suffered no repercussions for this.
- Kick the Dog: Yuu's taking of Komatsu's rightfully sought out Century Soup, causing trauma for the latter.
- Improbable Weapon User: He uses seasoning to fight. Which appears to be corrosive.
- Lightis Not Good: Wears lighter colors than most of the Gourmet Corp, but is just as evil as the rest.
- You Gotta Have Lavender Hair
Voiced by: Bin Shimada (Japanese), Brad Venable (English)
- Amazing Technicolor Population: Has light purple skin.
- Evil Genius
- Gadgeteer Genius: In charge of the GT Robots' R&D. Grinpatch also ordered him to make a new straw, which suggests his skills aren't limited to robots.
- Glasgow Grin: His mouth has stitches around it...
- The Mole: Is really a member of NEO.
- Non-Action Guy
Voiced by: Tetsuo Kaneo (Japanese), Bill Jenkins (English)
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He's the head chef of the Gourmet Corp.
- Badass Mustache: It's like... bat wings or something.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: "Cooked" by Joie so he would join NEO.
- Black Eyes of Evil/Black Eyes of Crazy: Has black sclera with white pupils.
- Nice Hat: A really tall black chef's cap.
- Supreme Chef: The Head of the Gourmet Corp chefs.
Voiced by: Yave Masahito (Japanese), Chris Cason (English)
- Adaptational Modesty: His speedo was lengthened into shorts for the anime.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: He's green-skinned.
- Fan Disservice: Guy hangs around in a tiny black speedo and is as ugly as sin.
- Humanoid Abomination: Resembles a goblin.
- Kick the Dog: He's the one who kills Terry's mother and boasts about it.
- Oh Crap!: When he realize he's just bumped into Starjun's boots.
- Red Baron: "Bei the Omnivorous".
- Small Name, Big Ego: Believes himself to be very powerful. As Joejoe noted, he took the equivalent of 16 lethal attacks from both Toriko and Mansam.
- Sore Loser: His rant after he loses to Toriko is really something to behold...
- Stupid Evil: Immediately kills Terry's mom for no reason, while gloating, which provokes Toriko enough to kill him. In addition, he is unable to control the robot to its full extent and uses the slicer attack attack constantly which Toriko easily counterattacks, leading to his defeat.
Voiced by: Chika Sakamoto (Japanese)
- Barrier Warrior: Her Manaita Shield, which is just an over-sized chopping board she uses as a shield. In the anime, it's is composed of Appetite Energy.
- Body Horror: Can fillet you to a skeleton from a distance, leading to certain death.
- Cool Old Lady: Chiru and Gourmet National Treasure Chin miss her greatly and laud her cooking, until...
- Et Tu, Brute?: Everyone is shaken by her reappearance, coming to slaughter them all.
- The Dark Chick: Lacking the stamina of the other members and being Weak, but Skilled, she's still a crazed force to be reckoned with.
- Eyes Always Closed: Since it's not a pretty sight when she opens them.
- Face-Heel Turn: She used to be a nice old lady who cooked at Disappearance Cuisine and was versed in Honoring the Food at a Master's level. When she comes back, she's riding a gigantic zombie condor with a lyebeast and a new member of Gourmet Corp., and her first act is to show how delicate her 100 Million Yen Slice is... by removing all but the bones of an Apprentice Master's midsection... some fifty feet away... without visibly moving.
- Heel-Face Turn: It appears she's turning out this way after being nursed back to health by Chin, Setsuno and Nono in chapter 257.
- Fallen Hero: Especially on how Chin laments on how far she fell from the Cool Old Lady she was.
- Freudian Excuse: The death of her son drove her to become a Gourmet Corp member.
- Hero Killer: Slaughters most of the Gourmet monks before Toriko arrives.
- Knife Nut: It's not really the knife that's dangerous, it's the fact that she can fillet you from a great distance, making you bones in an instant.
- Madness Mantra: "Gratitude, gratitude...can you appreciate this? Gratitude, gratitude..."
- Mama Bear: The death of her and Chinchin's son was her breaking point. She couldn't "appreciate" that tragic event the way Honoring the Food demanded of her, and she joined Gourmet Corp. because one of the ingredients they are seeking is the rumored hors d'oeuvre of Acacia's Full Course, which can raise the dead. She wants to use it to bring her son back.
- The Noseless: Lacks a visible nose.
- Never Mess with Granny: Lady Chiyo might not be one of the Gourmet National Treasures, but a single swipe of her knife was valued at 100 MILLION yen. She also completely removes the flesh, muscle, and organs of Apprentice Master Wagon from his underarms to his hips... without him feeling a THING. Only Coppwo was able to tell Wagon to watch out as she was attacking him, but to everyone else, Chiyo moved so fast no one saw a thing.
- Nightmare Face: Seriously, her facial expressions can be even scarier than those of Tommyrod.
- The Resenter: To Setsuno.
- Going to Driven by Envy extremes.
- The Smurfette Principle: The first female Gourmet Corp member to be shown.
- Supreme Chef: Master of Honoring the Food and Food's End, capable of cooking and eating all of Disappearance Cuisine's dishes.
- Sword Beam/Razor Wind: Seems to be able to do this, since she can fillet her victims at a distance with her kitchen knives.
- Walking Spoiler: One can't talk about her past identity and Face-Heel Turn without revealing one of the biggest twists of the Bubble Fruit Arc.
- Weak, but Skilled: She has precision in executing filleting and barrier techniques, but has notably less stamina than most of the members due to her age.
- When Elders Attack: Lady Chiyo arrives at Chowlin Temple in order to kill one of the Gourmet National Treasures and all of the Apprentice Masters, as doing so will render the ultimate technique of Honoring the Food, "Food's End", no more threat to Gourmet Corp.
Voiced by: Hiro Yuki (Japanese)
- Ambition Is Evil: Though Starjun likes the ambition he has.
- Took a Level in Badass: When we first see him, he's a normal human. When he reappears, he has Gourmet Cells implanted in him.
- Freudian Excuse: Was raised in an orphanage; however he considered his past shameful and ignored them after he graduated. Even so the kids there were extremely proud of him...until an incident where they all accidentally ingested poison and died. After this he came to realize just how much they admired him and felt incredibly guilty about the fact that he'd ignored them, as well as his lack of fame at the time they died. Now he's obsessed with doing everything in his power to raise his reputation, so at least they'll have something to be proud of in heaven.
- From a Certain Point of View: When Starjun calls out his claim of being Midora's partner, Otake simply retorts that Midora said he considered all chefs in the Gourmet Corp. his partner.
- Meaningful Name: Komatsu means "Small Pine", while Otake means "Great Bamboo". And there's a popular story about a bamboo stalk and a pine tree... and like the bamboo, he "bent" to evil.
- Rival Turned Evil: He came to Chowlin Temple to show Komatsu his new skill and proclaim his intention of making GOD as the partner to the Gourmet Corp's leader Midora, with his words before leaving that Komatsu and Toriko should polish their skills to see who the stronger combo is when they next meet.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Apparently, he was much kinder and less arrogant in his youth, just wanting to be a good chef...
- Took a Level in Jerkass: ...Now all he cares about is the money and prestige that comes with being a famous chef.
- An even bigger one when he stabs Komatsu and revels in the destruction of the temple.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: ...Now all he cares about is the money and prestige that comes with being a famous chef.
- Arm Cannon: The "Armored" model can shoot bullets from his hands and shoulders.
- Fire-Breathing Weapon: The Giant model is equipped with a flamethrower.
- Flechette Storm: Its Peeler Shot where it shoots its hairs at its target.
- Frickin' Laser Beam: It can fire one after opening its beak horizontally. This is likely based on the Blue Nitro.
- Killer Robot
- Ridiculously Nitro Robot
- Giant Mook: The second variety to the Giant Model.
- Elite Mook: As seen with the first shown one, dominating over everyone.
- Humanoid Abomination/Animalistic Abomination: Varies on the individual. Some lean to troglodyte features while others are simply demonic.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: They're artificial creatures that are composed of various animals.
Tropes Associated with NEO
- Brainwashed: Going by Teppei's example, at this point it's impossible to tell who was a NEO spy all along and who was brainwashed into switching allegiance. According to Alfaro, all of the Gourmet Corps' chefs were brainwashed into joining NEO. To make matters worse the only way currently known to undo it is to beat it out of them, the problem being they most likely will not survive the level of beating you need to deal.
- Evil All Along: Those that belonged to the IGO at first.
- The Mole: Almost all of the elites in the IGO and Gourmet Corp are actually spies for NEO.
- Nothing Is the Same Anymore: Before its appearance, it was a classic battle of good and evil with IGO and the Gourmet Corp. Following NEO's debut, the struggle has now become a three way battle, with former two being severely crippled in staff and resources.
- Tomato in the Mirror: Most of the members are actually characters that we'd come to associate with other groups, making the surprise more legitimate.
- Walking Spoiler: Once they appear, the entire conflict undergoes a major game changer.
Voiced by: Kouji Ishii (Japanese), Doug Goodrich (English)
- Authority Equals Asskicking: As the former 2nd in command of IGO.
- Bad Ass: Gives Mansam a hard time without even powering himself up.
- Dying as Yourself: The mortal injuries inflicted by Toriko restore his true self right before he is devoured by predators. In his final moments he apologizes to Ichiro.
- Growing Muscles Sequence: After opening both eyes and removing the thing on his nose, he becomes much more muscular and wild-looking.
- The Mole: He's actually an agent of NEO.
- Ambiguously Gay: A lot of lines suggest this.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: As he reveals his evil nature by killing off higher ups of IGO.
- The Mole: He's actually an agent of NEO.
- Not So Harmless: Would you have expected that a guy who looks like Prince Valiant crossed with Leisure Suit Larry would even be dangerous, let alone evil?
- On top of that, despite Mansam never having released his knocking after Ichiryu taught him a lesson and he joined the IGO... he was completely aware of just how strong Mansam is. Makes one wonder just what kind of power he's hiding away.
Joie/ God of Chefs, Froese
Voiced by: Keiichi Nanba (Japanese)
- Action Girl
- Battle Couple: With Acacia. If indeed this is Froese... As a human, yes. Now, nooope.
- Came Back Wrong: If Joie is truly Froese, who was dead...but there are serious doubts.
- Chapter 253 shows something happening to Froese's grave as the ground begins to move up. Whether Joie has anything to do with that is currently unknown.
- Chapter 338 reveals that Froese's spirit refused to return. Another Food Spirit was drawn in to her revived body.
- Dead Person Impersonation: Jiro and Setsuno think this is the case, because the monster in front of them isn't Froese. Eventually confirmed. It's indeed not Froese but an evil Food Spirit that took her body.
- Demonic Possession: Sorta, the body was already long dead. But is being inhabited by a food spirit.
- The Dreaded: People are petrified of him. The knowledge he's on his way is treated as seriously bad news.
- The Dragon: To Darnil Kahn.
- More of a Dragon-in-Chief with the recent reveal.
- The Heavy: Strongly implied to be this to NEO as a whole. Given he put a scar on Zaus...
- Justified—Joie's been confirmed to be THE God of Chefs, Froese, making her one of the most powerful if not the single most powerful character in the entire series, predating even Midora. Though Jiro and Setsuno have doubts this is truly Froese, as Joie's monstrous inner beast is nothing like Froese's...
- Evil Old Folks: He's over 200 years old, and probably far older.
- Face-Heel Turn or Face Monster Turn: He can change a person's "flavor", and in turn alter their morality, basically brainwashing them into joining his cause.
- Face-Heel Turn: The Foreshadowing here is so thick you could cut it with a plastic knife—Froese is heavily implied to be the Dark Chef Joie, as Joie calmly retorts to Setsuno's exclamation that Cinderella (the best, highest-quality, legendary Great Knife) belongs to Froese: "Yes... that is why it is mine... Do you understand what I'm saying?"]]
- Chapter 243 pretty much confirms it...though it raises questions if this is truly Froese.
- Subverted, it's not her to begin with. Just a spirit using her body.
- Face-Heel Turn: The Foreshadowing here is so thick you could cut it with a plastic knife—Froese is heavily implied to be the Dark Chef Joie, as Joie calmly retorts to Setsuno's exclamation that Cinderella (the best, highest-quality, legendary Great Knife) belongs to Froese: "Yes... that is why it is mine... Do you understand what I'm saying?"]]
- Humanoid Abomination: Implied to be a failed clone of Froese, especially with the cracked skin.
- I Am A Humanitarian: Was seen seeking a book on the preparation of human flesh...coupled with the fact that he broke a certain taboo centuries prior...
- In the Hood: Wears quite the nice cloak to hide her true face.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: 'The Dark Chef.' God Chef.
- Person of Mass Destruction
- Physical God: All but a step away from this. Jiro and Setsuno have confirmed that, whether or not Joie is Froese or something else entirely, whatever it is, it utilizes absolutely 100% of its Gourmet Cells at 100% efficiency—a feat only made possible by eating the entirety of Acacia's Full Course.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Froese is drawn in a much more lighter tone than most of the characters.
- Samus Is a Girl: Frequently referred to as male, but is actually the female God Chef and Acacia's Combo Partner—or at least a clone.
- Supreme Chef: The real winner of the first cooking competition, but his title was stripped away after he...broke certain rules.
- Underestimating Badassery: She calls out Jiro on his Can't Hold His Liquor attitude. Jiro responds by literally stopping the world's axis by punching it.
- Villainous Harlequin: His or rather her appearance invokes this.
- Walking Spoiler: She's a girl and more importantly, may be in fact Froese, or at least a clone of her.
Voiced by: Shiro Saito (Japanese), Doug Burks (English)
- Evil Old Folks
- Foreshadowing: In the Ice Hell arc, he assembled a group of Gourmet Hunters to retrieve the Century Soup. Now we know why.
Voiced by: Unshou Ishizuka (Japanese)
- Actually A Doom Bot: When confronted by Toriko after his group beats Livebearer.
Voiced by: Hamada Kenji (Japanese)
- Badass Grandpa: Not only is he the number one chef in the world, but he's also incredibly skilled with a blade both in battle and in the kitchen.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: The reason he's with NEO is because he's been brainwashed by Joie. Getting hit by Midora's Meteor Spice snaps him out of it.
- The Combat Pragmatist: Skewers Chiyo without looking while explaining his plans to Setsuno.
- Evil Old Folks: He's a member of NEO, though not by choice.
- Diagonal Cut: His Rinne Oroshi, which cuts down to your genetic makeup so that even your offspring will carry the scar.
- Knife Nut: Wields a rather large one.
- The Rival: To Setsuno.
- Supreme Chef: The NUMBER ONE CHEF IN THE WORLD.
- Voiced By: Mugihito (JP)
- Badass Grandpa
- Energy Absorption: His "Shokujutsu: Calorie Gui" which absorbs calories from a person.
- Evil All Along: He was an agent of NEO along with Zaus and Kuribo.
- Evil Old Folks
- Humanoid Abomination: The contrast between his guise as a serene old man and a multi-tentacled thing with an eyeball where its mouth should be is jarring, to say the least.
- The Mole
- The Stoic
- Voiced By: Kozo Shioya (JP)
- Battle Couple: With Froese, as it turns out the latter is female.
- Blinding Turban: His eyes are always covered with a turban till chapter 243.
- Generation Xerox: Maybe unintentional, but Acacia resembles an Older and Wiser Coco with a much sterner look with the reveal of his eyes.
- The Man Behind the Man: According to Kuriboh, he fed GOD to the rich and powerful to gain their loyalty. They and their descendants formed NEO.
- Person of Mass Destruction: The Gourmet Monster sleeping within him will devour the world.
- Posthumous Character
- Really 600 Years Old: He was in his 600s on his deathbed.
- Scars Are Forever: The reason he wears a turban is to hide the one on his forehead.
- Shrouded in Myth
- Supreme Chef: The meal he created from GOD ended a world war.
Voiced by: Sakiko Uran (Japanese), Juli Erickson (English)
- Badass Boast: "How many decades... No... How many centuries has it being, I wonder, since I've shed blood. So, then, what is it you're doing, Kuribo? Depending on your answer, you may not get out of this unharmed, you child!
- Beware the Nice Ones: Setsuno is a Technical Pacifist who avoids violence when she can, even against monsters, and overall is a very kind and helpful person. But if you manage to make her truly mad... well, Toriko's world is not a gentle world and she is considered a national resource for a reason.
- Blow You Away: She can manipulate air pressure.
- Your Head Asplode: Her "Great Pressure Cooker", where she increases the air pressure so much that any creatures in the area will explode.
- Alternatively, she can decrease the air pressure in order to make the air so thin that her opponents normally lose consciousness.
- Cool Old Lady
- Gag Boobs: Is one more well-endowed characters in the series, in spite of her being a petite old granny.
- Healing Factor: Probably thanks to Food Honor, but it's not sure she can receive a diagonal cut so deadly that can be hereditary for dozens of generations and shrug it off without effort in seconds.
- Made of Iron: Kousairou's Calorie Gui steals TEN MILLION Kilocalories from her and she doesn't bat an eye—even after she's also squeezed by Kuribo AND hit with Cooking King Zaus's Rinne Oroshi, which is a cut so deep it ingrains itself INTO YOUR GENETIC MAKEUP AND IS PASSED ONTO YOUR DESCENDANTS—she healed the wound in moments without much effort.
- Morph Weapon: Her kitchen knife "Takitsuba" can change its blade's shape.
- Never Mess with Granny: Seriously...don't.
- Person of Mass Destruction: There is around half a dozen creatures on the planet that could force her to go all out. Cutting tsunamis the size of mountains and miles wide took her less effort than Komatsu cutting a radish, for example.
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: "You had best not drive my blood pressure any higher... You'll at least want some time to regret your actions, won't you?". Doubles as a Badass Boast, too.
- Supreme Chef/Chef of Iron
- Super Reflexes: She managed to nearly stop a storm of sub-atomic blades that wiped out a city, the mountain range and a dozen or so miles of the ocean behind her while protecting the chefs and suffering only superficial wounds.
- Walk on Water: By hitting the water so fast and lightly as to defy gravity and create perfect balance. And she can move faster than the speed of sound.
Knocking Master Jiro
Voiced by: Toshiyuki Morikawa (Japanese), Philip Weber (English)
- The Alcoholic
- Badass Grandpa
- Big Good: Shares with Ichiryu.
- Cool Guns: His Hard-Type Knocking Rifles.
- Cool Old Guy
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: We first see him as a harmless drunk on a train asking for booze. It turns out he is one of the three mightiest beings in the entire planet.
- Finger Poke of Doom: His ability of knocking is so extraordinary that not only he can decapitate a super-powered resuscitated Nitro with a flick, but create an absolute paralysis at the same time for a beast of over 200 capture level, whose biology is made to be near-immune to paralysis.
- Older Than They Look: In the Gourmet World, Jiro can make himself look younger. He also used to be a student of Acacia, making him over 500 years old.
- The Paralyzer: He's called the Knocking Master for reason, to the point that he doesn't even need to touch you or even get near you to neutralize you.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Destroying entire islands would be a mere nuisance for his abilities. It goes to the point that he can create apocalyptic world-wide damage by the SIDE EFFECT of one of his attacks.
- Physical God: Just like all of Acacia's disciples, he is THE apex predator even in the Gourmet World. To the point that he managed to stop the rotation of a planet the size of Saturn with a single punch.
- Shaping Your Attacks: His "Shourou Guinness Punch" a spiraling beam of "Appetite Energy" in the shape of a wolf's head.
- Story-Breaker Power: "Grand Knocking", which lets him paralyze the entire planet and everything on it.
- The Worf Effect: To everybody in the gourmet competition. A single offhand attack managed to stop all of the Bishokukai, the strongest chefs, Nitros, and the Heavenly Kings.
- Temporary Bulk Change: He can turn into a giant by jabbing some knocking guns into his shoulders.
Voiced by: Kikuchi Kokoro (Japanese)
- An Ice Person: She has the ability to freeze things.
- Luminescent Blush
- Nice Girl
- Older Than They Look: She looks like a little girl, but she's clearly an adult.
- The Quiet One: She's very silent and discrete.
- Token Mini-Moe
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Mint green.
- All Animals Are Domesticated
- Ambiguous Gender: Due to inconsistency, it's still not for certain what Terry's gender is. Similar to Crona in Soul Eater, the dub refers to Terry as a boy by default. If a theory early in the manga is correct and anything resembling real-world biology can be said to apply to this series, then Terry was produced parthenogenetically by the mother wolf, and is therefore also female.
- Badass: Even just a day old, Terry is a certified badass who can take on elder beasts with zero difficulty.
- Badass Adorable: She's a puppy, a puppy that can kick the ass of full grown beasts. Even near full grown, she's still adorable.
- Canine Companion
- Cool Pet:
- Last of Her Kind: Possibly? Terry's mother was created by the IGO's cloning techniques, so there could be others of the species, but none have been shown or commented on. We've now seen another Battle Wolf, one of the Eight Kings no less, in the Gourmet World.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Noble Wolf: Just like her mother, she's one of the most powerful and noble wolves in fiction.
- Picky Eater: She'll only eat BB Corn and Crab Pig.
- All Animals Are Dogs: It acts like a dog.
- Cool Pet
- Defeat Means Friendship: After it was beaten by Terry, it became his servant.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: It's a Obsaurus (whatever that is).
- Heel-Face Turn/Face-Heel Turn: Due to intimidation, it'll become anyone's servant
- Spare Body Parts: It has two faces, but one mouth and tongue.
- Undying Loyalty: To Toriko and Terry.
- Clever Crows: He's an Emperor Crow. Unlike many examples, it's a positive character.
- Cool Pet: To Coco.
- Everything Is Better With Spinning: His preferred method of attack is to spin like a drill and pierce through things with his beak.
- Feather Flechettes: Although he just uses it to obstruct an opponents' vision.
- Fluffy the Terrible
- Giant Flyer
- Chekhov's Gunman: As it turns out, the final ingredient to the Century Soup is Wall Penguin saliva.
- Cool Pet: To Komatsu.
- Everything's Better with Penguins
- Hidden in Plain Sight: In one of the "Run Run Yun" segments, his stomach served as the sunset background of the picture he was supposed to hide in. Tina did admit this was cheating a bit. Chapter 316 reveals that he can also create a "Rest Room" like the Octomelon and the Denshark.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter
- Verbal Tic Name
- Cool Pet: To Sunny.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: Averted.
- Snakes Are Sexy: Sunny seems to think so.
- Your Size May Vary
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: It's as tall as the Gourmet Towers.
- Cool Horse: A Zebra to Zebra.
- Cool Pet: To Zebra.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Especially with its red eyes.
- No Name Given
- Accidental Misnaming:
- He's called Zombie, for one, due to his name sounding similar to that.
- Even the closed caption has gotten it wrong.
- An Axe to Grind: His weapon of choice, although it looks more like a butcher's knife.
- Butt Monkey:That poor man accidentally becomes Bambina's wife because Zongeh just look exactly the same to Bambina's deceased lover. Later, Zongeh passes out because the eight king kisses that poor soul so many time and puts him into coma.
- Fartillery: Frustrated by his inability to so much as startle a Surprise Apple, he farts on it. This works, putting the apple at "Surprise Level 80".
- I Know Mortal Kombat: He got his "skills" from playing RPG videogames.
- Joke Character: For one thing, all the ingredients on his Full Course Menu have Capture Levels of 1 or less.
- Mugging the Monster: When he first appears, he tries to bully Toriko into giving him some of the drinks the latter bought. After Toriko uses a bit of intimidation on he backs down, but when they meet up at the Gourmet Hunter tavern before the Ice Hell arc, he insists on acting like he and Toriko are equals. The other Gourmet Hunters are stunned by this.
- Small Name, Big Ego
- Throwing Your Axe Always Works: No it◊ doesn't.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: He seems to believe the world operates to RPG logic. And that he's the hero. Even parodied in chapted 221 where he claims that he got a lot of experience from playing a lot with the Musou Series.
- Genre Savvy: However, he turned out right in there was a shortcut to the Gourmet Show Window in the Century Soup arc, which saved the lives of everyone.
Voiced by: Kousuke Toriumi (Japanese), Jason Douglas (English)
- Cool Sword: His katana "Dragon King".
- Dissonant Serenity: His ultimate technique requires him to be calm for three minutes, then when he explodes, he EXPLODES!
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: Explicitly stated to be one.
- Scars Are Forever: He got into a fight with Zebra... it didn't go well for him. On the other hand, he did survive, so it could've been worse...
- Bishōnen: Borderline Dude Looks Like a Lady thanks to his face shape.
- Body Horror: His abilities are able to dislocate bones and skeletal structures, especially if he concentrates enough.
- The Fettered: He's a member of the Gourmet Knights, who have very strict rules about what they can and can't eat.
- Archer Archetype: He's pretty good with a bow and arrow, turning Jerryboy into a pincushion in seemingly one volley.
- Authority Equals Ass Kicking: He's the leader of the Gourmet Knights.
- Plague Master: He can "eat" diseases and produce cures for them. Not to mention he can turn all 100 TRILLION bacteria in his body into viruses and infect someone with them causing them to rot away.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Toriko.
Voiced by: Masaya Onosaka (Japanese), David Wald (English)
- The Ace: Guy is able to take down Tommyrod at full power (to be honest though, Toriko fucked up Tommyrod badly before he stepped in).
- Forget that, this guy took down ZEBRA (with help from Yosaku).
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Oh hell yeah, he is.
- Face-Heel Turn: Came with Joie in a black outfit, implying he's now with NEO.
- Green Thumb: He uses plants and trees to aid him in combat.
- Plant Person: He can now turn his arm into a mass of hand-shaped vines.
- Heroic BSOD: After receiving a huge shock thanks to Joie.
- Hypocritical Humor: Leans toward this. Tells other people to be silent only to blab important info recklessly, and when talking about how reckless revivers are bringing back dangerous ingredients, he admits that it's mostly his doing.
- Motor Mouth: Despite swearing to secrecy, he has a tendency to blurt out what he's trying to keep quiet.
- The Paralyzer: He can use a form of Knocking with his bare hands called "Impact Knocking".
- Technical Pacifist: While Teppei's not a killer, he will use Knocking on his enemies until they can't stand. After being "cooked" and recruited into NEO, this no longer applies. Something Komatsu finds out the hard way when Teppei rips out and crushes his heart.
- Terrible Artist: If the "Run Run Yun!" segment in episode 114 is anything to go by, his drawings are as awful as his handwriting.
- Thou Shall Not Kill: He adopted this belief when he, on a trip with his grandfather Jiro, found a barren wasteland from hunting.
Voiced by: Banjō Ginga (Japanese), Bruce Carey (English)
- Badass: Handed Sunny his ass in a sparring match (Himself only getting a single wound — which he admits is quite a feat on Sunny's part) and is cited by the IGO as someone capable of entering the Gourmet World.
- He also took down Zebra
- Blood Is the New Black: Both his outfit and his office are covered in old bloodstains. He claims he leaves them there to remind him of his failures.
- Combat Medic
- Dr. Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Drifts towards this. He's honestly a decent person, but so very rough with his patients. He's also a loudmouth with no manners.
- Old Master: He's Teppei's.
- Super Spit: His saliva acts as a strong adhesive.
- ‹bermensch: Frequently spouts about how rules are made to be broken.
- Warts and All: When first meeting him, no one in Toriko's group could believe that the loud, obnoxious man was a legendary Gourmet Reviver who could heal any disease.
Voiced by: Matsui Naoko (Japanese)
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: She has a crush on Zebra.
- Bare Your Midriff: As an effect on her pheromones on people, causes them to see her wearing this.
- Distracted by the Sexy
- Ms. Fanservice: What she causes men to see.
- Gonk: What she actually is.
- Master of Illusion: Kind of. She can manipulate her pheromones to make animals obedient and men perceive her as more beautiful than she actually is.
- Older Than They Look: Even though she looks like a small child, she's old enough that she's a grandmother.
- Winged Humanoid: She has bee wings which she uses to fly.
Voiced by: Akio Ohtsuka (Japanese)
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Back when he was the leader of the Gourmet Casino and being of the top 20 chefs in the world
- Big Bad: Of the Gourmet Casino Arc
- Blatant Lies: He claims he would never cheat, because of his pride as a gambler... And then starts cheating on his first turn!
- Body Horror: His face constantly warps in an Off Model way, and he just does not look right.
- Crazy-Prepared: He went pretty damn far in stacking the deck... not that it helped him much in the long run.
- He has contact lenses that let him see what each cards ingredient and point value is.
- Every ingredient used in the game is something he can kill, cook, and consume.
- And if that weren't enough, he can alter his body to neutralize any toxins he might consume.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Coco beats the tar out of him so badly, the battle is not even shown.
- Defeat Equals Friendship: After watching Komatsu work so diligently to prepare the Meteor Garlic, and being reminded of his former self, he helps prepare the Meteor Garlic, and hands the Gourmet Casino over to Match, hoping to return to being a respectable cook.
- Dual Wielding: Slices and dices the Gourmet Corp. monster mooks with two huge, black sword-sized knives.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Got sliced in half by a Nitro, but thanks to his doping cooking he didn't suffer at all and he was cured almost immediately.
- Heel-Face Turn: Due to his Curb-Stomp Battle and reminder of his former diligence when seeing Komatsu
- Flat "What.": His reaction to Toriko and friends not giving up.
- Identical Stranger: Physically speaking, he's very similar to Grinpatch. Wheter this is a coincidence or not, is yet to be revealed.
- Kick the Dog: He absorbs all memories, even those of happy moments.
- Knife Nut
- Large And In Charge: During his rule over the Gourmet Casino.
- Mega Manning: How he got his culinary abilities, by eating the information off genuine chefs.
- Mind Rape: He takes away the most treasured eating memories of the losers of Gourmet Casino, some of which contain birthdays of their family.
- Nightmare Face: Since his face warps in very Off Model ways.
- Oh Crap!: When he realizes Coco's plan to make him eat Poison Potato at its maximum toxicity.
- And again when he realizes just how far ahead Coco has planned his defeat.
- Smug Snake: As the game goes on, he reveals more and more that he's stacked the entire situation to his favor and enjoys being at the advantage; leading to a...
- Out-Gambitted: Coco manages to predict which foods to nullify his immunity to poison so therefore Livebearer would not take a gamble
- Sore Loser: And he was cheating the whole time to boot.
- Supreme Chef/Chef of Iron
- Villainous Breakdown: After being Out-Gambitted, he throws away the game and tries to kill the group. Tries is the best word to describe what happened
- Yandere: To Komatsu, at least his memories.
First Generation Melk
Voiced by: Hiroshi Naka (Japanese)
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Melk the Second learned the techniques to make these from him.
- BFS: Makes knives larger than your normal human.
- Gentle Giant: Especially with his child, Melk the Second.
- Old Master
- The Stoic: Believed to be this, but in actuality is a very talkative and friendly man—he just has a very tiny voice that's almost impossible to hear.
- Vocal Dissonance: A mountain of a man who talks in a whisper.
Melk the Second
Voiced by: Akiko Yajima (Japanese), Martha Harms (English)
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Makes these as a living.
- Berserk Button: Being considered weak due to his belief that strength is what matters in sharpening. Komatsu helped her over that.
- Happily Adopted: By the First Generation Melk.
- Scars Are Forever: Has a pair of scars on his left cheek from a pair of knives falling off a table and cutting him as a child.
- Ship Tease: With Komatsu.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: With Komatsu.
Voiced by: Yusaku Yara (Japanese)
- Absent Minded Sensei: He constantly gets people's names wrong...but only in casual conversation. When he's watching from a distance, it is the only time he gets Toriko's name right.
- Alliterative Name: His full name is Chin Chin-Chin; the title name removes the other two "Chin" from his name
- Badass Grandpa
- Enlightenment Superpower: The apparent by-product of his teachings of "Food Honor", if "Spoon" is anything to go by.
- Retired Badass: A world renowned Gourmet Hunter; he now spends his days teaching at the Chowlin Temple, but...
- Shaping Your Attacks: Spoons of "Appetite Energy" which he uses to scoop things, seal people inside of and uses as shields and even wings.
- Training from Hell: His method of testing Toriko and Komatsu? Tossing a 5 km class mountain at them while at "Death Falls" and seeing if they survive.
Voiced by: Susumu Chiba (Japanese)
Voiced by: Kawada Shinji (Japanese)
- Ascended Extra: He gets a larger role in the anime.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Deep-Fried Whatever: Weaponized, he deep fries one of Gourmet Corps.' beasts.
- Oil Slick: He can produce oil from his body.
- Scary Black Man: Subverted, he's a nice guy despite his intimidating apparel.
- Supreme Chef: He's ranked 14th on the IGO Chef ranking.
- Walk on Water: He can ski across it due to the fact that oil repels water.
Brunch the Tengu
- Amazing Technicolor Population: Has red skin.
- Anti-Hero: Described as the "delinquent" among chefs.
- Cyborg: Implied to be such since he has battery slots in his neck.
- Elemental Punch: His "Electric Punch", so powerful that it can turns whole beasts to ashes.
- Gag Nose: Like his namesake, he has a long nose.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He reveals his golden heart when he sees how happy ingredients are around Komatsu. And what else do you call a guy who comforts a dying enemy who tried to enslave him? Tengu sees Elg's hame over his hideous features and gently consoles him he would have even been handsome in Tengu's home village, let Elg die happy.
- Laser Blade: Kinda, he can make a blade out of electricity.
- Shock and Awe: He has an electric organ (kinda like an electric eel) so he can generate and control electricity. He uses the aforementioned batteries to increase the voltage.
- It's not just electricity - Brunch has revealed that it doesn't matter WHAT kind of energy it is, he can transform it into electrical energy. Fire, Solar, Hydro, it doesn't matter - he uses the kinetic energy of Elg beating the crap out of him to build up a gigantic charge for a Series-Type Electrical Attack.
- Super Speed: He was able to catch up with Komatsu in a matter of seconds. To really drive the point home, he can do this while wearing those ludicrously tall Tengu Geta.
- Supreme Chef: He's the 3rd ranked chef in the world.
- Tengu: It's in his name.
Voiced by: N/A
- Dirty Old Man: He has a lot of adult magazines.
- Grumpy Old Man
- Hair-Trigger Temper: He's a Nitro, so it's to be expected.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Talking Animal: In a sense, he's the first Nitro shown to be able to speak.
Voiced by: N/A
- Black Bead Eyes
- Cool Car: His Croakswagon, a creature that's part frog and part car.
- Flash Step: He's fast enough to dodge a laser.
- Mr. Exposition: He gives the Kings info on the various places in the Gourmet World.
- Sacrificial Lamb: He offers to be one for the Air Trees.
- Talking Animal: He can talk both "Human" and "Frog".
Voiced by: N/A
- Afro Asskicker: Showing to have this under her turban when she is blasted away by Bambina's blast.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: See The Mole below.
- Chekhov's Gunman: She was in the Gourmet Pyramid during the Mellow Cola arc and was awoken from her cryptobiosis by Komatsu's actions.
- Cute Monster Girl: Who'd of thought female Nitros looked this cute? At least, until her face opens vertically...
- Impersonation Gambit: The Kaka that the Four Heavenly Kings meet is impersonating the real Kaka in an attempt to kidnap Komatsu.
- Nice Girl: Compared to Chichi. It's an act though.
- Poisonous Friend: It's implied she's only trying to help Komatsu to get the recipes he retrieved Gourmet Pyramid. This is a potential reason she tried to approach Komatsu in secret during the fight with Bambina, though what exactly she intended to do is still unknown.
- Supreme Chef: She, Chichi and a third Nitro called Jiji have the title of Gold Chef, Silver Chef and Bronze Chef.
- The Mole: A distinct possibility, considering she's actually a Blue Nitro. She was certainly planning on doing something to Komatsu that she felt the Heavenly Kings wouldn't permit and they appear to harbor suspicions towards her as well.
- Token Good Teammate: She's the first and (currently) only Nitro not to show any hostility towards humans or even a Hair-Trigger Temper Averted when Kaka reveals as a blue nitro.......
Voiced by: N/A
- Cute Monster Girl: More so now we can see her mouth.
- Cute Ghost Girl: She's a Food Spirit.
- Distressed Damsel: She's kidnapped by Joie's Appetite Demon.
- Motor Mouth: She likes to over explain things.
- Nice Girl: Compared to virtually every other Nitro (Red and Blue), she's a sweetheart.
- Supreme Chef: She's the Bronze Chef of the Flavor Sages.
- Tertiary Sexual Characteristics: She has very feminine eyes, complete with long eyelashes.
Voiced by: N/A
- Badass Mustache: Subverted. They're actually his eyebrows.
- Purely Aesthetic Glasses: Part of why people assume his eyebrows is a mustache is due to him wearing sunglasses above them.
- Supreme Chef: He's the Gold Chef of the Flavor Sages.
Voiced by: N/A
- Affably Evil: Expresses genuine admiration for Toriko and Komatsu's "combo", though he doubts they will be able to defeat Bambina.
- Badass: One of the Blue Nitro, whom Acacia himself considered unbeatable.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Appears in the Ozone Herb arc, making him the first Nitro seen in the series. Turns out to be a member of the Gourmet Nobility and a personal acquaintance of Acacia, meaning he is a hugely important character.
- Picky Eater: Spat out the Ozone Herb, the most delicious vegetable in the Human World, because it didn't live up to his standards.
- Token Good Teammate: So far, he appears to actually respect humans, making him a rarity among the Blue Nitro. He also showed no hostility when he encountered Toriko and Komatsu in Sky Garden.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Wants to revive Neo in it's Perfect Form so they can finally kill it and seal it in order to finally stop it from eating everything. The plan will cause all life on Earth to be wiped out.
Voiced by: Nana Mizuki (Japanese), Morgan Garrett (English)
- Bare Your Midriff: In her working outfit.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: She's gets plastered pretty quickly whenever she drinks or eats anything alcohol related.
- Canon Foreigner: Made exclusively for the anime and mostly used to pad some of the episodes. Usually whenever she's showcased, it for filler-made adventure alongside the canon material. Though she has likewise tagged along on a few canon adventures as an observer as well.
- Cool Pet: Her Balloon Carrier Pigeon, Cruppo.
- Entitled Bitch: Really comes off this way sometime figuring since she's a reporter, she's entitled to whatever story she comes across despite a lot of the areas she visits are off limits to civilians and usually need permission to enter let alone showcase content. One of the IGO reps, Johannes, has a lot of run ins and headaches with her since she'll always argue with him and wave the "freedom of speech" card at him despite just trying to do his job. Though she is moral about what she showcases such as refusing to put Terry on the air knowing Battle Wolves are rare and he'll likely be hunted if she does.
- Hot Scoop
- Image Song: "Miracle of Only 1 Gram", also used as a leitmotif for the "Dishing with Tina" segment. The sixth ending song "Lovely Fruit" may also count.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: She occasionally makes these at the end of her news segments.
- Intrepid Reporter
- Ms. Fanservice: Her working outfit.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The girly girl to Rin's tomboy.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: No matter what amazing things she films, circumstances stop every one of them from being shown. Most blatantly done in episode 39.
Voiced by: KitaōjiKinya (Japanese)
- Animal Motif: Dragons
- Badass: He was able to take out Starjun, Grinpatch and Tommyrod at the same time.
- Big Bad: Of the Bishokushin Special Menu movie.
- Defector from Decadence: He only joined Gourmet Corp to get his hands on the Infini Bee, once he got it he left since he had no more use for them.
- Elemental Punch: His "Flame Fist".
- Humanoid Abomination: See One-Winged Angel below.
- One-Winged Angel: After eating the Wolf Fire Dragon, he turns into demonic looking dragon-man... thing.
- Playing with Fire: To go with his whole dragon motif, he can produce blue flames and use it as a weapon. He's like a more powerful version of Starjun.
- Winged Humanoid: He has huge reptilian wings, like a dragon.
- Genius Bruiser: Instead of using brute force alone, it has entered a symbiosis with dangerous leeches, which it uses to track down its prey.
- Multi Legged And Dangerous
- Never Smile at a Crocodile
- Off with His Head!: How Toriko kills it in the manga. In the anime, due to Bloodless Carnage, he has his neck snapped instead.
- Starter Villain: Although "villain" may be a little bit far-fetched, since it's only "crime" was overeating, destabilizing it's ecosystem.
- Bad Ass: They were hailed as such during their initial debut, although later beasts would have far higher Capture Levels.
- Badass Grandpa: The Troll Kong silverback.
- Everything Is Better With Monkeys: Well, apes, but anyway...
- King Mook: The Troll Kong silverback.
- Know When to Fold 'Em: The silverback is stronger but also more cautious, which will often make him less aggressive than his younger counterparts.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous
- Oh Crap!: The Silverback's reaction to Toriko's Intimidation. The one in the arena has one upon seeing the Devil Serpent gorging on the other animals.
- Incredible Shrinking Whale: They're originally six meters in length, but the immense water pressure squashes them down to a small size.
- Puffer Fish
- Non-Indicative Name: Despite being called a whale, it's only about the size of a carp.
- Sensory Overload: It is extremely sensitive — the slightest shock will set off its poison sac and make it inedible.
- Big Eater: The one in the arena gorges himself on all the other beasts.
- Breath Weapon: Can spit his own stomach acid.
- Healing Factor: Can regrow his arms, like a salamander, but faster.
- Multiarmed And Dangerous: Despite his name, it has several arms all over his serpentine body.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent
- Rubber Man: Can stretch his arms and can also make his elastic skin harder.
- The Worf Effect: Rumored to be the Battle Wolf's rival. Judging on the performance, perhaps they meant "chewtoy"...
- As of chapter 252, we know that there appears to be a subspecies of the Devil Serpent that actually lives up to its fearsome reputation.
- Beast of Mass Destruction
- Posthumous Character: Though in Toriko: Gourmet Monsters they reappear as recurring antagonists lead by the "Death Gore Chimera".
- Predators Are Mean: Inverted. The world was nearly wiped out by a pack of herbivores, until they were all wiped out by a predatory Battle Wolf.
- Walking Wasteland: They nearly caused the end of the world due to their insatiable appetite for trees, which wiped out whole forests and turned them into deserts.
- Badass It's so badass that it is one of the Eight Kings, it's Capture Level? 6090!!!
- Canis Major: It can grow to the size of a skyscraper.
- Died Standing Up: Terry's mother.
- Lightning Bruiser: According to the description, they can go from 0 to over 100 kmh in half a second.
- Mama Wolf: Terry's mother, who attacked the Devil Serpent right when it looked at Terry after devouring all the other animals.
- Single-Stroke Battle: The battle between Terry's mother and the crazed Devil Serpent.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: It can grow to be over 1500 metres long.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: Aside from the already mentioned, it has wings. Small wings.
- "Fantastic Voyage" Plot: It has regular sized beasts living in its body and basically act as an immune system for it.
- War Elephants
- Vacuum Trunk: It has two trunks, one for sucking up food and the other for spitting out waste.
- The Worf Effect: An adult Regal Mammoth was murdered in a single shot by the Fang King.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: A Sphinx.
- Inelegant Blubbering: Toriko and Zebra made it do this to produce the Mellow Cola.
- Mix-and-Match Critters
- Overly Long Tongue: A very prehensile one at that.
- Panthera Awesome
- Razor Wind: It could do this with a casual flex of its paw.
- Swiss Army Tears: Other than the fact that its tears are the Mellow Cola, said cola gave Toriko and Zebra the extra boost they needed to fight the Nitro.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: It copied Toriko's Nail Punch after seeing it once. The one Toriko and Komatsu met in the Sky Garden copied the method of eating the Ozone Herb after seeing them do it just once.
- Bad Ass: It could take both Toriko and Zebra at once. And that was a starving Nitro on its death throes, which had just awoken from a god-knows-how-long slumber. The one in Sky Garden had no trouble reaching the place and simply leapt off of it after rejecting the Ozone Herb. The Nitro in Honey Prison was only a child but still terrified the prison's fearsome execution beasts. Certain types seem to be more Badass than others, as Acacia told his students and Froese that the Blue Nitro were unbeatable.
- Body Horror: Unlike the Red Nitro who have regular beaked mouths with rows of teeth, the Blue Nitro have their mouths open vertically.
- Deep Sleep: Nitro can survive for millennia without food and water through cryptobiosis. The downside to this is that they cannot wake up without outside interference. They also need to replenish themselves immediately after waking up.
- The Dreaded: To those who know of their existence which is a closely guarded secret. The higherups of IGO are put on alert when they find signs of increased Nitro activity in the Human World. Chef Yuda's panic when he sees the Gourmet Corp unleash several Nitros during their invasion says it all.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: They were called "Nitro" because of their hard-to-predict temper, ready to explode at any time. Curiously, the one Toriko encountered in Sky Garden didn't give off any hostility. It may have been a Blue Nitro. Even The Taste Hermit has a temper. Granted, the Four Kings did wreck havoc in his house and inflicted a head injury on him. That would make anyone mad.
- Hero Killer: The Blue Nitro attack — possibly kill — at least several members of the 0th Isotope. One also finishes off Ichiryu after Midora spared him.
- Humanoid Abomination: An apish creature with a bird like face filled with rows of teeth and empty eyes, an image so unnerving that the Gourmet Corps decided to copy it for their GT Robos. Friendly Nitro like Chichi, Kaka, and the Red Nitro seen in the flashback depicting the lost civilization of Area 7 where they lived in harmony with humans and monkeys have visible pupils in their eyes, making them seem less creepy.
- Lizard Folk: According to young Midora, the blue Nitro look like a lizard when Acacia and Froese set on a journey with Blue Nitros during the eclipse.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Is a Toothy Bird that has rows of teeth covering the top of its jaw
- Picky Eater: The Nitro in sky garden spits out the Ozone Herb, the finest vegetable in the Human World, because it is used to even better ingredients.
- Precursors: To modern day chefs, having advanced techniques to cooking specialized animals long before humanity even came up with the methods to do so.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: There are two subspecies of the Nitro, the Red and Blue. The Red have Hair-Trigger Temper, while the Blue are much calmer, but are arguably more heinous than the former. The Red Nitro were originally the Blue Nitros' slaves. The Blue Nitro even went so far as to crush the Red Nitros' vocal chords so they could never speak.
- Slave Race: The Red Nitro were slaves to the Blue Nitro. Their masters even crushed their vocal chords rendering them unable to speak to make them more like animals.
- Super Speed: One bit an Ozone Herb twice so fast that the Herb thought it was bitten by two people at once.
- Supreme Chef: An entire race of these. Acacia discovered "God" by observing the Nitro from a safe distance.
- Though it seems more like Acacia learned of Nitro through the Blue Nitro - who came to see him a month from the Gourmet Eclipse. "Pair" is even presumed to be a Blue Nitro, meaning they're wholly capable of speaking human language.
- Toothy Bird: Has More Teeth than the Osmond Family
- Winged Humanoid: Some varieties have them.
Four-Beasts/ Four Beast
- Adaptive Ability: The Four-Beast is able to adjust its strength based on the information it gathers from it's appendages
- Animalistic Abomination: Fang King◊, Invite Death◊, King Octopus Kong◊ and Mount Turtle◊
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: A demonic plant-humanoid
- Beast Of Mass Destruction: Each one is amazingly strong, to show case this, Almost the previous locations that Toriko and Co. have visited are completely wiped out including the Sphinx and Regal Mammoth
- The Main Body, is actually even worse
- Bigger Bad: The Four-Beasts turned out to be the appendages of an even more massive plant creature beneath the earth.
- Breath Weapon: Mount Turtle can spit lava from its mouth.
- The Four-Beasts' main body can do this too on a larger scale with its gas.
- Combat Tentacles: King Octopus Kong As well as the original beast
- Conspicuous CG: As if to show how eldritch it was, the Four Beast is animated in CGI for the most part till it reabsorbs the Four Beasts
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The original beast outright destroys the Four Kings in chapter 204, with them lying in their own blood.
- The Four Kings do this to the Four-Beasts respectively
- Death by Irony: The beast that sought to devour humans is slain by the appetites of four humans and cooked into a feast shared by all of humanity.
- Disc One Final Boss: Acts as this as the finality of the test that Ichiryu gives to the Four Kings, as well as the final beast threat to be faced in the Human World before reaching the Gourmet World
- The limbs are this for the main body
- The Dreaded: It has been feared an agent of human extinction for thousands of years
- Eaten Alive: Suffers this fate at the hands (or should we say, maws) of the Four Kings' Oushoko Basan.
- Eldritch Abomination: The main body which is a plant with a traditional jagged mouth face with slanted eyes of a shadowed evil
- Four Is Death: Its name is probably the classic Japanese pun on "Four" and "Death" (shi) being omophones.
- In fact, the literal reading of the name is "Death Beast!"
- Healing Factor
- I'm a Humanitarian: Their favorite food is humans, but as their their effect on areas like Ice Hell, Gourmet Pyramid and 1st Biotope show they're not picky on eating other things as well
- Kaiju: The Four Beast is very much this. Which is lampshaded by Teppei
- Lightning Bruiser: Fang King is fast and agile enough to dodge Kill Sat lasers and strong enough to One-Hit Kill a Regal Mammoth.
- Magma Man: Mount Turtle is literally a walking volcano.
- Man-Eating Plant: On a MASSIVE scale.
- The Minion Master: The main body "grows" beasts to absorb energy from what they eat fot it.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: The King Octopus Kong has multiple tentacles in addition to it's bulking arms
- The Four Beast has several, justified as it is a plant with several roots
- Over 9000: Their Capture Level is over 100.
- The Main Body's capture level is 320 and rising!
- Panthera Awesome: Fang King, a lionesque animal
- Poisonous Person: Invite Death.
- The Main Body is this on an more massive scale
- Shockwave Stomp: Fang King was able to punch the ground sending out a 4 kilometer shock wave.
- Turtle Power: Mount Turtle, though technically it's listed as crustacean.
- Ultimate Evil: Since it's implied that the main body is usually hidden underground and rarely fights. Leading to the idea of an even stronger power behind the Four Beasts is terrifying
- Unwitting Pawn: To Joie.
- Walking Wasteland: Invite Death.
- The Worf Effect: The appendages suffer this at the hands of the Gourmet Heavenly Kings, but not before they literally destroy nearly every natural environment Toriko has visited in his travels in order to show the superiority of the Gourmet World has over the natural world
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: They're winged giraffes unicorn pegasus, which only gets worse when they grow heads of various carnivorous animals.
- Breath Weapon: When in Carnivore Mode, they can spit bolts of "Appetite Energy" at prey.
- Hybrid Monster: They're a Chain Animal (a genetically engineered creature).
- Let's Get Dangerous: Carnivore Mode
- Losing Your Head: Though they can just grow a new, nastier head.
- Mix-and-Match Critter: Part giraffe, part bird, part various-carnivorous-animals.
- The Worf Effect: Subverted. It looks like they die easily when the GT Robos cut their heads, it turns out it is needed to activate their self defense mechanism.
- Blob Monster: In essence, it's made of a black liquid substance.
- Living Shadow: Looks and acts like one for Joie.
- Meaningful/Punny Name: It's name is made up of the kanji for "Translucent Shadow" but is pronounced as the Japanese word for "Lizard".
- Me's a Crowd: It can divide into smaller versions of itself.
- Readings Are Off the Scale: It's Capture Level is 295.
- Breath Weapon: Literally. It can shoot air bullets from it's nostril that can pulverize rocks.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: It resembles a brachiosaurus. Although it's classified as a Mammal beast.
- No Name Given: When it was first introduced in the manga, the anime gave its name but not its Capture Level. It's recently had its name revealed in the manga and its Capture Level is 219.
- Super Breath: See Breath Weapon above.
- The Worf Effect/So Last Season: When first introduced, it smashed Toriko against the cliff side and Toriko was unable to reach it with his Flying Fork, the second time Toriko threw a single Flying Fork it barely dodges by falling on its back and kept flying.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: And how: It's so big, that it literally has a fortress with buildings on top of it's shell.
- Nigh Invulnerable: The Aforementioned flying Fork Toriko threw at the Breath Dragon? The one that it barely dodged and almost killed, as well as with a Winggrizzly with a capture level more then twice that that also barely dodged it. It bounces off the Stronghold Rhino's shell harmlessly without a single scratch.
- Readings Are Off the Scale: It's capture level is 972
- Rhino Rampage: Though its more like dinosaur in overall shape.
- Weaponized Animal: Has an entire battle fortress on its back, but its unknown whether they're decoration or can actually fire ammunition from its torrents.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: While not as big as the Stronghold Rhino, It still is big enough to make Volcanos look like Ant Hills beneath it's feet!
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Though the extra limbs are more like a single finger than actual hands.
- Our Demons Are Different: An Oni with two finger like limbs on its back.
- Readings Are Off the Scale: It's the first beast shown in the manga with a cpture level of over 1000. 1160, to be precise.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: The biggest creature shown in the series to date. It almost crushes the above mentioned Thunderous Devil underneath it's own foot!
- Cthulhumanoid: Combined with with an Elephant, having multiple trunks instead of tentacles on it's face and several eyes.
- Readings Are Off the Scale: Capture Level: 2650!
- Explosive Breeder: It can lay a massive number of eggs at once.
- Gonk: Sunny is reluctant to actually feed the starving populace with the bird since it's so ugly.
- Guide Dang It: The method of hatching and raising a Billion Bird. Suffice to say it's a lot more complicated than just warming up its egg.
- Irony: The Billion Bird nearly went extinct because predators refused to hunt and eat it because of its foul taste.
- Miracle Food: In theory it can produce an unlimited amount of food that is also extremely nutritious. Too bad it tastes awful.
- Mother of a Thousand Young: Lays an infinite number of eggs that will immediately hatch if it is scared. It still nearly went extinct because predators avoided it due to its bad taste, meaning it wasn't scared too often if ever.
- The Power of Love: Komatsu telling it that it is appreciated and wanted by the world makes the Billion Bird's wings grow. As it takes flight, it lays eggs whose yolk is so delicious that Toriko adds them to his Full Course.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: It's big enough to build a house on top of and can be lived inside.
- Everything's Squishier with Cephalopods: Its a gigantic octopus with a melon pattern.
- Gentle Giant: Despite it's massive size and Capture Level of 265, it's a very docile creature. Komatsu even affectionately calls it "Octo-chan".
- Hidden in Plain Sight: It can create "Rest Rooms" that allow it to move around without being noticed by any other beasts.
- Organic Technology/Bizarre Alien Biology: It has a cockpit in it's head with a tentacle as the steering mechanism.
- Planimal: It's classified as a "Mollusk Fruit Beast".
- Walk on Water: It's buoyant enough to travel across the surface of water.
Hex Food World Inhabitants
- The Cameo: Terraformar and Rikuo Nura are said to live here.
- Cyclops: Dinner, as well as several others.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Despite looking like demons and monsters from Japanese folklore, they're all rather friendly.
- Gonk: According to Brunch, many of them are incredibly ugly.
- Kappa: Nosh is one.
- Punny Name: Nosh and Dinner.
- Was Once a Man: Their ancestors were normal humans who were kidnapped by the Blue Nitro and injected with Gourmet Cells, causing them to become hideous mutants. After they escaped with the help of the Eight Kings, they're descendants "evolved" into humanoid creatures akin to Youkai.
- Youkai: Many of them are based on (or flat out are) these.
- Hidden in Plain Sight: Like the Octomelon, it can create a 'Rest Room' that allows it to remain hidden from the eyes of others. Due to its higher Capture Level, it's better at doing so than the Octomelon.
- Life or Limb Decision: It's "Autonomy Mode".
- Organic Technology: It's a shark with the body of a train.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite it's vicious nature, it sacrificed it's lower body so it can protect Komatsu.
- Sand Is Water: It can vomit on the ground, making a puddle to swim into.
- Threatening Shark: In contrast with the gentle Octomelon, the Denshark is much more aggressive.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: It's the size of a mountain.
- Body Horror: It wears a "suit" of liquified monkey heads.
- Breath Weapon: It spat a beam of Appetite Energy at the Four Kings.
- The Dreaded: The newcomers were so terrified of it, that they killed themselves before it could punish them for hunting without permission.
- Our Centaurs Are Different: It's upper body is that of a gorilla, it's lower body is that of a six-legged zebra.
- No Sell: It can use "Enbu" to ward off the force of attacks, although it doesn't work if it's hit from behind.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Of Gourmet Cells.
- Animal Battle Aura: How they originally manifest. Although Sunny's manifests as his Satan Hair.
- Blue and Orange Morality: They don't care about whether their host is good or evil, their only concern is getting them to eat.
- Breath Weapon: Midora's shot "Meteor Spice" out of its mouth.
- Coco's applies it's "Devil Poison" by drooling it into it's victims mouth.
- The Dreaded: Could be considered this since they invoke fear in the beasts of the world as the hosts' intimidation. The Taste Hermit Nitro is especially wary of Toriko's Blue Appetite Devil. Even Toriko's Red Devil is afraid of it.
- Guardian Entity: They can act as this to their host as shown when Toriko's leaped out of his body and punched Starjun through the chest.
- Energy Being: In a sense. They're bodies are composed of Appetite Energy when they manifest outside the host's body.
- Monstrous Humanoid/Humanoid Abomination: They're appearences vary (usually that of a monster from Japanese folklore), but they're all humanoid in shape. Toriko's resembles a red oni his other resembles a blue oni. Zebra's is a veiny bat-like being he compares to the Grim Reaper. Coco's resembles an "onryo" (albeit not female), Mansam's resembles an Asura, complete with six arms and three faces, Starjun's is a cyclops.
- Partial Transformation: After eating AIR, the Heavenly Kings are able to transform their arms into their Appetite Devils' arms. They suspect that eating the rest of Acacia's Full Course will allow them to gain full mastery over their Devils so they can make complete transformations.
- Planet Eater: The devil residing inside Acacia, called "NEO" will supposedly consume the entire world.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: They can act as this for their host, although see Blue and Orange Morality.
The Eight Kings
The Eight Kings are the strongest animals in the Gourmet World, each one a member of a powerful species. Each one currently rules over one of the areas of the Gourmet World.
Horse King Heracles
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: This is its hoof print. To put it in perspective, that comparatively small octopus creature is about the size of the Empire State Building.
- Awesomeness Is a Force: Its hoof print gave off an aura so strong that it caused the Four Heavenly Kings considerable stress, and it was made over a thousand years ago.
- Cool Horse: The coolest horse in the world. Also it's one of the Eight Kings, just like the Battle Wolf.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Toriko tries to face it shortly after reaching Gourmet World, knowing the fight is hopeless. He doesn't even get to attack; Heracles cuts him in half and creates a town-sized crater by exhaling on him. While Toriko's Blue Devil is able to put up a fight, the Horse King forces it to retreat by inhaling, creating a vacuum with no air to breathe.
- Dying Race: Young Herac cannot reach maturity without "AIR"—in fact, the Horse King can't give birth without sufficient atmospheric content—and the Nitro have been harvesting it long enough that the Herac species is facing extinction.
- But after Komatsu successfully prepares "AIR", an immense volume of air is released, and the Horse King takes a good deep breath and is able to give birth.
- From a Single Cell: It can regenerate endlessly, making it effectively immortal.
- Healing Factor: Not just Heracles, but also the whole species can regenerate their wounds within a second.
- The Needless: It can survive solely on the air it breathes. In other words, breathing is like eating to it.
- Samus Is a Girl: Despite being called the "Horse King", She's female.
- Smurfette Principle: Currently the only female of the Eight Kings.
- Super Breath: It takes only one breath a year, but that single inhalation consumes a volume of air approximately equal to that of the entire Earth. A single snort from its nostrils is equivalent to a WMD.
- Tsundere: Type A. After helping her give birth, she blows away the Steel Clouds, making a rainbow bridge allowing the Four Kings to pass through safely. When Toriko said thank you, she turned her head as if to say "It's not like I wanted to help you. Baka!"
- Vacuum Mouth: Literally. Well... more like "Vacuum Nostrils". It can inhale all of the air in the area, causing all plant life to die and animals to suffocate.
Monkey King Bambina/Bambino
- And Call Him George: Woe to anyone the Monkey King thinks would be a good playmate.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Comes with being one of the Eight Kings. Bambina also set up a system based on this to control predation on the continent. Unfortunately, Bambina isn't all that interested in managing it. As a result, the four Enbu masters under Bambina have become food-hoarding tyrants, leaving the other monkeys to starve.
- Badass: Comes with the territory of being one of the Eight Kings. It's even stronger then Heracles, and proves this by slicing 1,500 meter tall 100 g mountains out of the ground, with his tail, and flings them across a 220,000 kilometer sized planet at speeds of Mach 1 for a week like skipping stones, and does so for fun. Later it wipes out the heroes (really Poison Dolls) in 0.1 seconds. Sunny didn't even see what happened, since he blinked during that time and only survived because the Monkey King thought they were playing hide and seek.
- Berserk Button: If you're playing hide and seek with Bambina, do not give the Monkey King reason to believe you're not looking for him. The anger he released after not being found for a whole day was enough for Toriko to relive his entire life. Thankfully, that anger disappeared when the Monkey King realized he must have picked too good of a hiding spot.
- Blessed with Suck: Being one of the strongest things alive isn't that great when all you want to do is play games with others, since most playmates won't last a second.
- Boisterous Bruiser: It's said to have a playful, belligerent personality, unlike the more stoic Heracles. This makes Bambina one of the most dangerous Eight Kings, because it's liable to attack without provocation.
- Breath Weapon: Launches a beam of Appetite Energy at Kaka that is visible from space.
- Came from the Sky: When Toriko and Co finally reach the top of 100 G Mountain, Bambina falls down from orbit...While still asleep, and the impact doesn't even wake him up.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Tears apart everyone but Sunny in a blink of an eye. Literally—Sunny blinked for 0.1 seconds and when he opened his eyes, he was the only one standing. Luckily, the others were just Poison Dolls created by Coco, who had the foresight to want to gauge the thing's strength, but still...wow. Then it turns out that Bambina was just playing games with them. It more or less tore them apart by accident. When they do fight it for real, even after they mastered Enbu, they are once again completely outmatched. Then we find out he was still holding back, as he blows away Kaka with an Appetite Energy blast visible from space a mere second after they start fighting.
- Dancing Is Serious Business: The true method of obtaining PAIR: a 1000 step choreographed dance in the form of "Kata" with Bambina that occurs in the space of ten seconds. The "games" Bambina played with them before were only the opening moves of the dance. The Kings messing up the last step apparently makes him angry enough to want to kill them for real, but it's subverted when it turns out he was trying to kiss them to complete the dance. Kaka interrupting his dance with the spirit of his former mate, on the other hand, incurs his wrath for real.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: Bambina loves to play. Unfortunately, it's so strong that its playmates usually don't survive the experience. The real reason it set up the "Enbu" system on its continent was to make the other monkeys strong enough to play with it. Heck, Toriko loses another arm just arm-wrestling the thing.
- The Dreaded: His true form. Just seeing it sends every monkey in Area 7 running from 100 G Mountain in a panic.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: The strongest ape and one of the Eight Kings no less!
- Flash Step: He can go from the top of the 100 G Mountain to the coastline of Area 7 in an instant. Later, it tears apart everyone but Sunny in a literal blink of an eye (0.1 seconds).
- Gender-Blender Name: Kaka says that the name Bambina came from the female courted by the last Monkey King. His real name is Bambino.
- Heartbroken Badass: Ultimately, he's just a guy who really misses his dead lover.
- Hulking Out: Once you remove Bambina's "skin", Bambina's dormant power begins to expand and causes his body to swell.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: In chapter 311, we learn that Bambina's current appearance is not his true form, but a form that suppresses his true power. When Toriko tries to grab PAIR, his "clothes" are blown off, revealing a pure white form.
- In a Single Bound: He reaches the stratosphere in less than one second, then passes the Mesosphere and enters the Thermosphere to sleep in near-outer space. Keep in mind that the Thermosphere peaks at 500 KM above the planet's surface, and Bambina reaches that point with a "soft jump".
- Living Macguffin: Food King "PAIR" is part of its body. Specifically, its testicles. Uh...yeah.
- Lonely at the Top: The fact that he taught Enbu to all the monkeys on the continent in an attempt to make at least one being strong enough to survive playing with him all but says this.
- Magic Music: For lack of a better term, Bambina's testicles are called "The Bell of PAIR", and the sound they make permeates a powerful taste that provides nutrients to the rest of the Area 7 continent, and rejuvenates the body of anyone nearby. In other words, PAIR's so good an ingredient that the sound it makes sustains an entire ecosystem.
- Obliviously Evil: The apes in the Monkey Restaurant live under constant tyranny and famine thanks to the makeshift government Bambina imposed, and it messily kills anyone it meets in an instant. Except all Bambina really wants is to make friends and have fun. It just doesn't give any thought to the consequences of its actions or its own immense power.
- Pint Size Powerhouse: Bambina is barely human-sized, making it one of the smallest creatures encountered thus far and probably the single smallest predator in its super-sized personal ecosystem. It's also strong enough to toss Everest-sized mountains across the entire circumference of the planet for a laugh.
- Readings Are Off the Scale: Its Capture Level is 6000, which is only slightly lower than Wolf King Guiness' 6090. But it gets worse: that's the Capture Level of his suppressed form. His true form is undoubtedly higher.
- Except that capture level was stated to measure potential, not current strength. So 6000 was really his maximum.
- Solid Gold Poop: Its testicles are "PAIR" and its actual poop is an incredibly fast form of transportation.
- Tears of Joy: Bambina has this moment when the four heavenly kings are now capable of playing with him during the second match. Shed some tears after Bambina sees his mate after the fight.
Wolf King Guinness
- Badass: You thought Terry Cloth was badass? Since Guinness is the strongest of his species, he should be able to make Terry look like a puppy.
- Covered with Scars: Just like Heracles, this Eight King's body shows the results of its many battles.
- Readings Are Off the Scale: Has the highest capture level shown so far, that level being 6090. and that's actually just the second in command!
- Super Speed: If the other showings of the species are any indication, this canine is fast.
"Mother of all Snakes"
- Animalistic Abomination: It is so big that it can grow to the circumference of the entire Toriko Earth, measuring in at a colossal 220,000 kilometres. Yet, the Mother Snake can create massive hurricanes in gourmet world by simply "passing" the area.
- Badass: The Mother Snake once rivaled the strongest of the Eight Kings, "Moon" that is mentioned below.
- Super Speed: Adult Mother Snakes are said to be able to move as fast as meteors. Given its one of the Eight Kings, it probably moves faster than that.
- The Dreaded: As an Eight King, all creatures of the Gourmet World bow down before the Mother Snake's head, because anything that shows its face is promptly eaten.
- Badass: It is one of the Eight Kings. This is a given!
- Animal Battle Aura: Komatsu's new kitchen knife can release the image of the dragon king itself.
- Dragon Hoard: Midora learns the hard way when he tried to retrieve the precious healing water the descendant of Derous held.
- Giant Flyer: Its size can grow up to an enormous 350m!
- Our Dragons Are Different: Derous is a giant dragon with a giant fang and some noddles-like tongue in its mouth and with 5 pair of EYES.
"Boss Of The Skies"
- Badass: The most badass crow in existence and one of the Eight Kings.
- Giant Flyer: It is so gigantic that its feather easily tower "regular" size humans.
- Animals Not to Scale: Well, it is Toriko universe, but, a deer with a size of a giant land mass is something new to the series.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: It is an eight king the size of an ISLAND!
- Badass: What do you expect from a giant land mass deer?
- Turtle Island Averted on the turtle part though, this deer is huuuuuuuuuge.
Black Hole Whale, "Whale King Moon"
- Animalistic Abomination: It fought the Mother Snake thousands of years ago, and its skin looks like the surface of a meteorite.
- Badass: Among the Eight Kings, the Whale King's power is the greatest of them all.
- Kraken and Leviathan: As the Whale King, it fills in the position of "Leviathan".
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Black Hole is part of this thing's name, which fits with how this thing's power is described.
- Rock Monster: Its skin looks like the surface of a meteorite, because...
- Superpower Lottery: It is the whale that absorbs all light and matter. A meteorite the size of the moon once dropped into the Black Triangle, where the Whale King makes its home, and disappeared without a trace. One guess as to what happened to it, because that's all you will need.
- World's Strongest Man: The strongest of the Eight Kings in terms of power, which says something when the Battle Wolf has held the record for the highest Capture Level in the series up to this point.