Characters: Dead or Alive 5
Here are the characters introduced in Dead or Alive 5
. Enjoy, and help out with the blurbs!
Also, beware of possible spoilers.
open/close all folders
Original Dead or Alive 5 characters
Rig - Canada
Rig as he appears in "Dead or Alive 5".
You're gonna be in for some pain.
A new character, making his introduction in Dead or Alive 5
. Little is known about him so far, other than that he is a Taekwondo fighter from Canada
. He lacks recollection of his past, though Christie seems to know him for some reason. Bass is one of his coworkers out on an oil derrick. In reality, Rig is the son of Victor Donovan and together they have apparently plotted the entire events of 5.
- Action Genre Hero Guy: In appearance anyway.
- Affably Evil: Even if he's Donovan's son and his amnesia is just a facade, doesn't stop him to be nice for his fellow oil rig workers
- Buzzcut of Evil
- Canada, Eh?
- Subverted. His actual nationality isn't known.
- Evil Counterpart: Rig could be considered this to Helena considering that they're both the children of powerful businessman related to DOATEC.
- The Dragon: To his father, Donovan.
- Faking Amnesia: His amnesia was nothing more than a ruse to serve as part of Donovan's plan.
- Human Notepad: His body is covered with tattoos, many of which are physics equations (including Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle) and molecular structures.
- Identity Amnesia: Christie seems to know him, but he has no memory of her.
- Subverted. Rig had his memories the whole time and whole amnesia ordeal was merely an act.
- In the Blood
- In the Hood
- Meaningful Name: Seems fitting that a guy named Rig would work at an oil rig. The verb "rig" also means "to manipulate fraudulently", as in rigging a tournament.
- Mysterious Past
- Only Known by Their Nickname: "Rig" is just a pseudonym; he doesn't remember his actual name.
- Chances are, he probably does as his amnesia was merely an act.
- Overlord Jr.
- Pet the Dog: Went out of his way to save his fellow oil rig workers, Bass included, when the oil rig was blown to bits. Considering Rig already had his memories as Donovan's son and was just playing amnesiac, this act was pretty much this trope.
- Walking Spoiler: Can you see how much of this page is in white?
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Bass.
Mila - Spain
Mila as she appears in "Dead or Alive 5".
Yeah. I'm here to fight!
The second new character introduced in Dead or Alive 5
. A waitress at a diner with an affinity for fighting, Mila is a mixed martial arts practitioner. She's a big fan of Bass Armstrong and also recognizes Tina, who offers to spar with her when the two cross paths. She joins the fifth Dead or Alive Tournament hoping to face Bass in combat.Unfortunately, she doesn't get the chance, since she loses to Hitomi in the quarter-finals. Not that that discourages her to keep trying in the future, though.
- Action Girl
- Animal Motifs: Bees — probably a reference to Muhammad Ali's catchphrase "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."
- Ascended Fangirl
- Bare Your Midriff: In her default costume.
- Boyish Short Hair
- Brown Eyes: Apart from her Squee moments and despite being quite enthusiastic, she's actually more level-headed than most of the other female characters... More on the physical side, she's curiously the first Caucasian (or European Hispanic) female character in the series that has them.
- Captain Ersatz: Of Gina Carano.
- Cute Bruiser:
- Gendered Outfit: One of her DLC outfits is a gendered version of Bass' first outfit from his appearance in 5 (with the American flag bandanna around her left bicep) as seen on his folder, elevating her Ascended Fangirl status.
- Genki Girl: An uncommon Western version.
- Greasy Spoon: Her place of work.
- The Knights Who Say Squee: She may be a talented martial artist, but she's still a fangirl of Bass and Tina Armstrong
- Meaningful Name: Suitably for a martial artist, "Mila" is a diminutive of the Spanish female name "Milagros", which means "miracles".
- Mixed Martial Arts: Her stock in trade: rather than go crazy with the types of moves and holds that could have and had been used in competition (triangle headlocks, rear mounted sleepers, ect) Mila favors quick, powerful strikes and rather accurate throws and takedowns, with more exotic arm bars and leg locks reserved for counter moves, and a proper, though slow, take down to ground & pound and transition body slam.
- Multicolored Hair: Dark red and black.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Tina's red. Well, at least by comparison.
- She-Fu: Completely averted, unlike much of the rest of the female cast. Her moveset is very obviously tailored around MMA and uses fairly correct implementation, Acceptable Breaks from Reality notwithstanding
- Squee: Mila finds herself reduced to being starstruck when Tina Armstrong walks into the diner where she works.note After gushing for awhile the two ladies agree to do a little sparring.
- Spexico / Toros y Flamenco: Thankfully averted.
- Not Even Bothering with the Accent: Though strangely, she doesn't have a Spanish accent in the English dub (her voice actress plays her with an American accent), even though fellow Europeans Christie and Helena are voiced according to the their nationalities (English and French).
- Spirited Competitor: She would make a great addition to the UFC, enjoying fighting, the competition, the training and demonstrates respect towards her opponent.
- Stripperiffic: Mostly AVERTED. With the exception of the DLC bikinis, Mila is the most modestly dressed female character in the entire series so far (at least by its standards). Her most revealing costume is a sport bra that doesn't go much further than Bare Your Midriff, and even then it makes sense that she wears it being an MMA practitioner.
- Tomboy: Her look — especially her alternate costume, which is jeans, t-shirt and a plaid shirt.
- Youthful Freckles
False Kasumi - Unknown
False Kasumi as she appears in "Dead or Alive 5"
She is one of the many clones of Kasumi. Created by Victor Donovan and the Dead or Alive Tournament Executive Committee, She was a creation of Project Alpha, an experiment with the aim of creating the perfect fighter and human weapon. She is a perfect Alpha clone that acts perfectly like the original. Working with Helena to stop Alpha-152.
Momiji - Japan
Momiji as she appears in "Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate".
It is an honor.
A Canon Immigrant
from the Ninja Gaiden
series. She was also the first character confirmed for the Updated Re-release Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate
, being this her debut in the series.
Momiji is the last shrine maiden of the Hayabusa village. She got into this role after her older sister, Kureha, got killed during the events of the first Xbox Ninja Gaiden
game. However, she was trained as a kunoichi by Ryu himself, and although she had a rough start, she quickly became much stronger and now is a full-fledged Kunoichi whose abilities never cease to impress her mentor.
Rachel - Vigoor Empire
Rachel as she appears in "Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate".
Come and fight.
The second Canon Immigrant
from Ninja Gaiden
debuting in Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate
A fiend hunter from the Holy Vigoor Empire, Rachel helped Ryu Hayabusa during the events of the first Xbox Ninja Gaiden
game. She was somewhat a tragic heroine, since she and her twin sister Alma were afflicted with a blood curse that turns humans into fiends. Rachel still maintained her human form and became a fiend hunter.
- Absolute Cleavage: Her main costume.
- Action Girl
- Boobs of Steel: Rachel seems to be Tina's biggest contender for this trope, both in physical strength and breast size! Then Honoka came along....
- Canon Immigrant: From the Ninja Gaiden series.
- Combat Stilettos: Her main costume features these to go with her Thigh-High Boots, and they are put to use in a way that would make Ivy proud.
- Dogged Nice Girl In a rare female example, Rachel by the end of the first Xbox game has taken quite a liking to Ryu, but he promptly seems to refuse.
- Fictional Country: All characters come from Real Life countries except her, due to Intercontinuity Crossover with the Ninja Gaiden series.
- Hopeless Suitor: The Xbox continuity is established as prequels to the NES and then Dead or Alive continuity, by then Ryu is already Happily Married, certainly not with Rachel.
- Kill the Ones You Love: Rachel reached this conclusion with her beloved sister Alma, she doesn't think there is other way to save her sister anymore.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Nice Girl: Don't let her seemingly tough demeanor fool you, she's one of the nicest characters in the game besides Kasumi.
- Naughty Nurse Outfit: One of her costumes in 5 Ultimate. Just in case Team Ninja's renewed commitment to Fanservice wasn't clear enough.
- Statuesque Stunner
- Power Creep, Power Seep: She's not as powerful as Ryu in Ninja Gaiden, but she can still fight and defeat Greater Fiends (assuming the player is skilled enough) during team play, and is explicitly said to have superhuman strength. Given that, she really shouldn't have any trouble drop-kicking people like Jann Lee and Helena into the next time zone in DOA.
- Granted, this is a universe where a regular human (Jann Lee) can punch out a T-rex so maybe not as much as it looks.
- Stripperiffic: Rachel's choice of clothes for fiend hunting are unique to say the least.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Essentially, she is Nicole-458 from DOA4, but with some unique moves of her own taken from her playable outings in the Ninja Gaiden series' Updated Rereleases.
- Thigh-High Boots: Her main costume features this, which helps cover her legs considering she's not wearing any pants.
- Waif-Fu: Rachel is very strong despite her slender figure, due her cursed fiend blood she can best enemies many times her size and obviously more muscular than her.
Marie Rose - Sweden
Marie Rose as she appears in "Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate Arcade Edition"
Let the red rose of blood bloom forth.
A new character (in every sense of the word) debuting in the arcade version of Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate
. A maid from Sweden who uses a martial art called "Systema".
Phase- 4 - Unknown
Phase-4 as she appears in "Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate Arcade Edition"
Why must I fight? Is it my sole reason to live?
Another new character added to the arcade version of Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate
. She is a new Kasumi clone from the M.I.S.T. organization, presumably to replace the rogue Alpha-152 (and also presumably more advanced, hence her name "Phase-4"). It later revealed that she was the one who attacked Bayman and his unit.
- Action Girl
- Cloning Blues
- Difficult but Awesome: Her gameplay is based around canceling her attacks into teleports for powerful combos. However, said teleport cancels require extremely precise timing in order to be performed during certain moves.
- In the Hood: Wears a shroud that makes her seem very similar in appearance to Jill Valentine from the beginning of Resident Evil 5. It can be pulled down as an alternate version of her attire.
- P.O.V. Cam: Used very briefly when she attacks Bayman and his unit.
- Reluctant Warrior: She doesn't like to fight or hurt people, but has no choice in the manner.
- Scarf of Asskicking: She wears a scarf in her alternate costumes.
- Teleport Spam: A majority of her moves will end with her teleporting with reckless abandon.
- You Are Number Six: The name "Phase-4" implies she is the most recent attempt at cloning Kasumi.
- Younger Than They Look: She looks the same age as Kasumi, but as a clone she was only created recently.
Nyotengu - Unknown
Voiced by: Akemi Sato (JP), Brina Palencia (EN)
Nyotengu as she appears in "Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate Arcade Edition"
My deception...rules all...of creation!
Yet another new character added to the Arcade Edition of Ultimate
. She is, as her name suggests, a female Tengu from the same dimension as Bankotsubo from Dead or Alive 2
. She even uses the same fighting style as him: Tengu-do
Honoka - Japan
Honoka as she appears in "Dead or Alive 5: Last Round"
Promise me, you won't tell anyone...
A new character added to Dead or Alive 5: Last Round
. Said to be a "schoolgirl with a mysterious power".
- Action Girl
- Animal Metaphor: Some of her alternate costumes show a cow motif in reference of her...assets.
- Ass Kicks You: She hits a lot with her butt.
- Badass Adorable: A girly girl that can still kick your ass six ways to Sunday.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Despite being friendly, she doesn't seem to have any qualms when it comes to break some bones.
- Boobs of Steel: The new bustiest female character in a cast famous for its busty female characters, with a whooping 99 cm/39'' size. And despite her slender build, many of her moves come from physical strength orientated fighters like Tina or even Bass.
- Evil Hand: Her power appears to be sealed within the gloved hand. One of her throws demonstrates this power (she grabs her opponent then surges some of her energy through her arm, which takes the form of some kind of dark red flame).
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Wears a glove with a skull and crossbones on her right hand, possibly connected to her "mysterious power".
- Genki Girl: Has a lively personality.
- Girlish Pigtails: A side pigtail, although leaving most of her hair loose.
- Guest Fighter: Averted. Even if you're a fan of Love Live!, this Honoka could remind you of the other one, whose last name is Kousaka.
- Identical Stranger: Honoka uses Marie's face model, which suggests that the two of them have some kind of connection. Marie and Honoka are also designated partners in her trailer.
- I Know Mortal Kombat: Her bio says her "Honoka-Fu" fighting style is a style she created by pulling inspiration from movies and pro wrestling.
- Ms. Fanservice: As if breaking the breast size record of the franchise wasn't enough, her attitude is heavily Japanese Gravure idol influenced.
- Muscles Are Meaningless: Improbable busty, yet slender figure notwithstanding, Honoka's body is still that one of a 18-year-old. Doesn't stop her from sending opponents twice her size across stage with one strike.
- Nice Girl: Shows to be very friendly.
- Power Copying: Similar to Necrid, her moveset consists of attacks pulled from other fighters (such as Tina's dropkick and one of Hitomi's strings).
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Her hair is kind of pink-ish, with a sweet, girly attitude to boot.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Being a Japanese high school student, this comes with the territory. Grade B in her standard outfit.
Akira Yuki - Japan
Akira as he appears in "Dead or Alive 5"
You're ten years too early!
Appears as a guest character
in Dead Or Alive 5
. A Bajiquan instructor from Japan, his main objective in life is to discover the meaning of "true strength".
- Alternate Company Equivalent: Sega's answer to Ryu. No, not the ninja.
- Anime Hair
- Badass: If you don't respect him now, you will by the time he's done with you.
- Badass Back: Nearly half his combos end with him slamming his back into his opponent, sending them flying across the arena.
- Catch Phrase: "Juu'nen hayain dayo!" and "Yosshaa!"
- Childhood Friend: With Aoi Umenokouji (who coincidentally shares some similarities with Kokoro).
- Dance Battler: Akira may not look it, but he has one of the most rhythmic fighting styles in the game. There's even a video that showcases some of his best combos (in real time) which matches the tempo of the music.
- Defeat Means Friendship: He's unlocked during Kokoro's Story Mode Chapter when he sees her as a fellow Bajiquan user. They exchange greetings through kata and then have a match.
- Difficult but Awesome: Considered one of the hardest characters to learn, not just in Virtua Fighter but in fighting games period. Also usually one of the best characters as well, though because of the different system in DOA 5 Akira's tools aren't as efficient and he falls more towards the middle of the tier lists.
- Expy: Virtua Fighter's "Ryu" in terms of appearance and stoicism, but his fighting style is a complete departure from what you'd expect.
- Guest Fighter
- Iconic Outfit: Both of his default outfits have been around for quite a while.
- Lightning Bruiser: Akira's movement and attack speed is deceptively fast and he hits like a bullet train, which leads to death combos when fully mastered.
- Martial Arts Headband: Yep, just like you-know-who's.
- Spirited Competitor: Much like Ryu, he lives for the thrill testing himself against strong opponents, as a means of bonding with others through their mutual love for the art.
- To Be a Master
- The Rival: Something of one to Kokoro, given they both practice Bajiquan/Hakkyokuken.
- Walking the Earth
Sarah Bryant - United States
Voiced by Lisle Wilkerson (EN)
Sarah as she appears in "Dead or Alive 5"
Better run home to momma now.
The second Virtua Fighter
character revealed for Dead or Alive 5
. The sister of Indycar driver Jacky Bryant, she is the victim of Judgement 6's advances and is often preyed upon as a potential subject for their twisted "Dural" project.
Pai Chan - Hong Kong
Pai as she appears in "Dead or Alive 5"
Your kung-fu is not strong enough.
The third and final Virtua Fighter
character revealed for Dead or Alive 5
. An actress from Hong Kong, she has a rift with her father, Lau, over the death of her mother. She entered the World Fighting Tournament in order to face him in battle.
- Action Girl: A master of Ensei-Ken, who doubles as a famous Hong Kong action movie star.
- Alternate Company Equivalent: Inverted example to Lei Fang. While Virtua Fighter (and Pai Chan's character) debuted before the Dead or Alive series, the two share subtle similarities in their respective fighting styles and both are extremely technicalnote . Their styles not only compliment each other, when paired together, they even gain a special tag-team intro, a unique team up throw, and a special victory pose where proclaim the power of kung-fu.
- Always Second Best: See the Overshadowed by Awesome entry.
- Anime Chinese Girl: She's Virtua Fighter's poster girl for the trope. Her default costume and appearance can be seen in the picture to the right.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Invoked during her tag-team victory pose with Lei Fang.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her alternate outfit.
- Berserk Button: Anything to do with her father Lau, though they're starting to patch things up...
- Big Damn Heroes: ...after she saves him from being killed by a murderous monk.
- Birds of a Feather: She spent five tournaments trying to defeat her father, to avenge her dead mother, but her reasons eventually changed to trying to prove herself to him. Just as Lei Fang has spent the past four DoA tournaments trying to prove to Jann Lee that she didn't need his help. Which later changed to simply wanting to prove herself to him as well.
- Boyish Short Hair: Which is one of several selectable hairstyles she has.
- Braids of Action: Depending on which of her costumes the player chooses, she alternates between twin braids, Girlish Pigtails, and an odango hairdo. DoA 5: Ultimate gives you the option of manually selecting her hairstyle, by holding down any of the shoulder buttons, while choosing her costume.
- Calling the Old Man Out: To her father Lau for his obsession with martial arts indirectly killing her mother.
- Cry Cute: Her lose animation.
- Difficult but Awesome: While not as dominant as Lei Fang, Pai Chan is nothing to scoff at either. Her fighting style is stance heavy and many of her moves and combos require complex controller + button sequences that must be entered correctly with the proper timing. When fully mastered, she proves to be one of the most effective characters in the game.
- Famed in Story: In Virtua Fighter's canon, she's a famous Hong Kong actress, who's starred in several big name action films.
- Fragile Speedster: She's fleet-footed, evasive, and can chain lengthy combos, but she's a lightweight when it comes to attack power and stamina.
- Guest Fighter
- Kicking Ass in All Her Finery: Her costume from Virtua Figher 5◊ is available as part of a free DLC pack for DoA 5. It consists of an elegant red Chinese robe◊ with detached sleeves, black shorts with gold inlays, and comes complete with a pair of gold sandals.
- Lady of War: She ties with Lei Fang and Helena Douglas for having some of the most jawdropping and graceful looking combos in the game.
- Missing Mom: Her mother died from overwork and a terminal illness.
- Our Kung-Fu is Stronger Than Yours: Seen during her team up victory pose with Lei Fang, where they proclaim the power of kung-fu over their fallen opponents.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Despite her proficiency in Ensei-Ken and regardless how much she improved, she lost every time she challenged her father, Lau, in the World Fighting Tournament. After realizing he was terminally ill and didn't have much longer to live, she finally settled for trying to prove she was worthy of carrying on his legacy instead.
- Stance System: She has several stances, including Bokutai and Meishouho (lit. "Sway Step"), which can either be entered manually, or automatically at the end of certain attacks if the button is held down. While Hakkeshou (lit. "Eight Triagrams Palm") is a new stance she gained for both Virtua Fighter 5 and DoA 5. Each stance enables a specific subset of moves, adding to the complexity of Pai's character.
- Tsundere: Type B (default dere-dere). It's said that her mood can change from outgoing to cold and distant at a moment's notice but, for the most part, she's very kind.
- "Well Done, Daughter" Girl: After repeat attempts to defeat her father, she began to wonder what was it that motivated him to pursue mastery of his art at the expense of their family. She eventually learned he was looking for a successor, due to his illness, and decided since she couldn't defeat him, she'd at least prove she was worthy of carrying on his legacy.
Jacky Bryant - United States
Voiced by Eric Kelso (EN)
Jacky as he appears in "Dead or Alive 5"
YEAH! Less talk, more action!
The fourth Virtua Fighter
character to join the Dead or Alive
cast, added in the Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate
update. An Indy car driver and Jeet Kune Do practitioner, his reason for entering the World Fighting Tournament is often concerned with getting revenge for J6's misdeeds against him and his sister (J6 sabotaged his race vehicle, resulting in a very serious injury requiring over a year of rehab).