In it, New York detective John Blacksad is hired by Sonia Dunn, the owner of a boxing club who inherited it after her father, Joe Dunn, was found dead in a suspected suicide. The job consists of investigating the disappearance of the club's star boxer Bobby Yale, who was about to fight in the biggest match of his career; if he won, the reward would have saved the club from its long-standing financial woes. Instead, she finds herself on the brink, and Blacksad, who is also largely broke, must go to seediest underbelly of NYC to locate Yale.
Tropes present in this game:
- Dialogue Tree: These are used for regular conversations, interrogating witnesses and suspects, and making decisive story choices.
- Flash Back: Certain dialogue options can sometimes trigger flashback scenes: they are not limited to cuscenes either, but can be outright playable sequences.
- Funny Animal/ Little Bit Beastly: Like in the comic, the male characters like Blacksad himself are largely the former, while the female characters are typically the latter, with a much more human-looking appearance and animal features often consigned to the ears, shape of nose and skin tone.
- Intrepid Reporter: Here, it's a literal weasel named Weekly.
- Neck Snap: Blacksad can potentially die like this at the very opening of the game, hwn
- Obvious Beta: The game was originally meant to launch on November 5th, 2019, but was delayed by for the sake of technical polish. Yet, it accidentally launched on PS4 and Xbox One on November 5th anyway, and the experience for those who got it too early obviously wasn't great, with even the reviewers' copies suffering from issues like audio bugs.
- Press X to Not Die: This being a game in the genre defined by Telltale Games and Quantic Dream (Blacksad is even voiced by Barry Johnson, who worked on both Beyond: Two Souls and Detroit: Become Human) quick-time events are a frequent occurrence, and failing them will often result in death and having to restart the section.
- Timed Mission: Many of the game's sequences are timed.
- Your Cheating Heart: The prologue sees Blacksad ambushed at his own office by a charging rhino, who is the husband of his current client, and knows that the Blacksad's investigation is about to reveal his adultery. If Blacksad manages to fend off the assault long enough for him to calm down, he offers a large bribe in exchange for his silence. It's up to the player's conscience whether to take it.