Quark: You're right. We're going to need help.
Rom: We could put together a commando team. Gather the toughest mercenaries we can find. Nausicaans, Breen, Klingons.
Quark: Shh. We don't need Nausicaans, Breen or Klingon.
Quark: We'll just use Ferengi.
Rom: Then we'll all die!
When Ishka is captured by the Dominion, Quark decides to prove that the Ferengi can as heroic as any race in Starfleet by assembling an all-Ferengi team to get her back.
- Affably Evil: Yelgrun, who is quite friendly with Ishka. He's a Vorta, so it goes with the territory.
- Air-Vent Passageway: Quark and Rom do a Crawl And Talk through the jefferies tubes, but take a wrong turn and open the hatch in Sisko's office. As they slowly shut the door, you can just see Sisko decide "I do not want to know."
- Analogy Backfire: Quark brings up a battle that the Ferengi fought in as part of his Rousing Speech, and Gaila points out that the Ferengi in that battle got their asses kicked. Then again, it could be their version of the Alamo.
- Answer Cut:Quark: Now, the only question is, who's our first recruit?
Nog: Not me.
- Arson, Murder, and Admiration: Leck's summation of the mission:Leck: This is the sloppiest, most amateurish operation I've ever seen... If you ever do something like this again, count me in.
- Asshole Victim: Let's face it, nobody liked Keevan.
- A-Team Firing: The Ferengi are absolutely terrible shots during their holosuite training. Brunt suggests something easier, like ambushing some Bolians. Nog replies "You couldn't ambush a Bolian if he was blindfolded and tied to a tree!"
- Badass Boast: Kira warns Quark to not turn his back on Keevan, as he's not to be trusted. Quark's response is "Neither am I."
- Made more awesome because Quark delivers on it.
- Black Comedy: No other way to describe Keevan's corpse being driven around. And left to endlessly walk into the wall.
- Canon Discontinuity: Given the outcome, and the opening where Odo points out that Quark will never be lauded as a hero, Quark pulled off a result worthy of a Magnificent Bastard. Every one treats him like a money-grubbing coward from here on out... which is now only half-true.
- Captain Obvious: Nog's tricorder confirms that the Vorta with a smoking hole in his heart is dead.Quark: Thank you, Doctor Nog.
- Chekhov's Gun: The still-functional medical equipment, which Nog uses on Keevan's corpse.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Keevan predicts that the Dominion will condemn him to a very painful death for his failure to commit suicide.
- Comically Missing the Point: After Nog cuts Ishka's hand to see if she's a changeling, and Ishka administers her own "test" by slapping him repeatedly on the forehead:Rom: That's no way to tell if he's a changeling!
- Continuity Nod:
- The return of both Empok Nor and Keevan.
- Every one of the Ferengi are ones that have shown up in past episodes, with Gaila and Brunt shown as having paid the price for their actions in their previous appearances (though Leck, who only was momentarily seen in "Ferengi Love Songs" and indicated in a deleted line to be an oyster farmer, is now retconned into being an assassin for hire).
- Furthermore, the way Keevan's body gets remote-controlled is somewhat similar to what was done with Spock in the infamous TOS episode Spock's Brain.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The Battle of Prexnak, the "most important battle in Ferengi history." Ten Ferengi stood alone against 273 heavily armed Lytasians... and were promptly slaughtered.
- Deadpan Snarker: Sisko's completely nonchalant reaction to Quark and Rom popping out of a hatch in his office.Sisko: May I help you, gentlemen?Rom: [To Quark] I was following you!Quark: We must have taken a wrong turn.Sisko: It looks that way.
- Did You Just Scam Cthulhu?: After Keevan got shot, Quark had to change his plans on the fly. As a result, Ishka is rescued, Starfleet gets a new Vorta prisoner and the Dominion are left empty-handed.
- Dirty Coward:
- Brunt tries to surrender to the Jem'Hadar in the training simulation. He's promptly blasted. Also Gaila, who tries to run away when the Jem'Hadar start shooting.
- We find out here that Vorta are supposed to commit suicide in order to prevent themselves from being taken prisoner, which Keevan declined to carry out, in favour of spending the rest of the war in a Federation detention facility. Despite being sent to bring in Keevan for failing to follow this policy, Yelgrun also fails to kill himself when he's captured.
- Don't Call Me "Sir": Played With:Leck: How can we be sure these schematics are accurate?
Leck: No need to stand on formalities here. Just call me Leck.
Nog: No, I meant you should call me "sir."
Leck: Don't be ridiculous.
Nog: You mean, "Don't be ridiculous, sir."
(Quark moves to prevent an altercation)
Quark: Gentlemen, please! Let's not squabble. We're a team, Nog.
Rom: "We're a team, sir!"
Quark: Stay out of this.
- Dying Declaration of Hate: "I hate Ferengi."
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Granted the Ferengi toe the line on "good", but Yelgrun takes way longer than he should to figure out what's going on with Keevan, assuming that Keevan is dazed and injured and can barely walk due to torture - because it's what the Dominion would have done to a prisoner in a similar situation.Yelgrun: What have they done to him?
- Five-Man Band:
- Foreshadowing: After Keevan questions Quark on why he bothered running after him despite knowing that Rom had disabled the ship's engines, Quark says that Rom's prone to making screw-ups. Screw ups like, say, blabbering about how the reward is actually two-and-a-half times what Quark originally claimed it to be, right in front of all the other Ferengi.
- Friendly Enemy: Yelgrun and Ishka seem to have worked up quite the rapport. She even offers him some investment advice.
- Get Out!: Quark after a round of failed simulator missions.
- I Just Shot Marvin in the Face: Poor Keevan...
- I'm a Doctor, Not a Placeholder: Rom's Eureka Moment."Brother...I think we've been going about this the wrong way. We're not commandos. We're negotiators. We make deals. That's what we're good at."
- Gaila gets into the act:"I'm a weapons dealer, not a soldier!"
- Gaila gets into the act:
- I Owe You My Life: Kira helps Quark set up the Prisoner Exchange as repayment for him rescuing her from the Dominion.
- Internal Reveal: Rom discovers how his mother and the Nagus are lovers. He doesn't take it well.
- I Work Alone: Leck says this word-for-word.
- Karma Houdini Warranty: People who have seen "Rocks And Shoals" will be pleased at seeing Keevan taken hostage, killed by complete accident, having his corpse turned into a puppet and left continuously walking into a support beam.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Keevan was such a despicable person in "Rocks And Shoals" that it's hard to feel sorry for him here.
- Knows a Guy Who Knows a Guy: Quark speaks of doing "business with the nephew of the cousin of the stepsister of a friend of the secretary to the [Balcanar] Consortium's chief accountant."
- Mad Scientist: Nog, when he uses neural stimulators to make Keevan's corpse move (sort of).Nog: If you think about it, medicine isn't that different from engineering. It's all about keeping things running, fixing broken parts.
- The Magnificent Seven Samurai: Well, there's only six, but...
- Mandatory Line: Most of the main cast, except Worf (who doesn't appear) and Quark, who's the main character of the story.
- Mass "Oh, Crap!": When Gaila shoots Keevan.
- The Millstone: Not that any of the Ferengi (barring Leck) are especially at home to begin with, but Gaila easily stands out as the worst of the group, firstly when he lets Keevan escape, and secondly when he accidentally blows a hole in Keevan's chest, killing their all-important hostage.
- Also Keevan. He constantly insults his captors and continuously naysays their plans. It says a lot that he only really becomes useful once he's dead.
- Of Corpse He's Alive: After Gaila kills their hostage.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: The mission that the Defiant went on before the episode starts.
- Oh, Crap!: All the Ferengi during Keevan's escape attempt. Then Nog when he sees dozens of Jem'Hadar on the station. Then all the Ferengi again◊ when Gaila shoots Keevan.Leck: You idiot.
- Played for laughs when the Dominion arrive at the station. It takes a minute for the team to remember that they invited them, and that it just means everything is according to plan.
- Only in It for the Money: Of course, this is seen as a positive thing by Quark:Brunt: Let's do it for equal shares of fifty bars of gold-pressed latinum!
Quark: It always comes down to profit with you people, doesn't it?
Gaila: We're Ferengi.
Quark: And that's why I love you!
- Only Sane Man: Insomuch as there is one among the Ferengi team, it's Nog. Quark is out to scam the others, Rom is prone to panicking and making mistakes, Brunt and Gaila are only in it for the money and ready to take revenge on Quark if the chance presents itself, and Leck, while definitely the most competent of the Ferengi there, is Ax-Crazy.
- On Three: When Quark and Yelgrun release Keevan (at least, his reanimated corpse) and Ishka, respectively.
- Palm Bloodletting: Nog does this to Ishka to prove that she's not a changeling. She is not happy about it.
- Parrot Exposition: Rom does this several times when Quark explains the situation to him.
- Prisoner Exchange: What Quark and his team go with when it becomes clear that they can't carry out an armed rescue.
- Psycho for Hire: Leck, and by extension all "Eliminators" in the Ferengi Alliance, are thought of this way. The Ferengi see assassination as merely the loss of potential customers, never mind that Eliminators enjoy the kill more than the profit.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Brunt sums it up nicely.Brunt: A childnote , a moronnote , a failurenote and a psychopathnote . Quite a little team you've put together!
- Rock Bottom: Gaila, once a wealthy Arms Dealer, has been arrested for vagrancy. Although this is Quark's fault, he has no qualms about working for him to earn more latinum.
- Rousing Speech: Quark starts one for the other Ferengi when it looks like all is lost. Leck joins in.
- Sarcastic Clapping: Brunt when he first shows up.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Brunt, as evidenced when Gaila tries to shoot Quark (but hits Keevan instead).
- Shoot the Hostage: Leck does this during a Virtual Training Simulation, much to Nog's annoyance. He considers it a Mercy Kill.
- Skewed Priorities: By Ferengi standards; Leck is one of the few Ferengi who cares little for latinum, joining in the mission for the opportunity to test himself against the Jem'Hadar. However, he still doesn't like to be cheated.
- Smug Snake: Brunt's in rare form, dismissing each member of Quark's team when he doesn't even currently have a job.
- So Proud of YouRom: My son the soldier.
- And Ishka is proud of her sons.
- Stating the Simple Solution: After all their rescue simulations have ended in complete disaster, Rom asks why they don't just ransom Ishka.
- The Strategist: Nog.Nog: I'm a Starfleet officer. I can't go running off with you on some half baked rescue mission. I have duties to perform.Rom: But you know how to fire a phaser.Quark: Forget it, Rom. Don't beg. Too bad, though. We were going to make you Strategic Operations Officer.Nog: (suddenly interested) You mean like Commander Worf?Quark: Exactly like Commander Worf. Think of it, Nog. You'll devise the tactics, come up with a plan of action...
- Surrounded by Idiots: How Nog feels about being with the other misfits, especially after a botched simulation.Rom: I think we're getting better.
Nog: No, you're not. This is the eighth run through and you haven't been able to hit a single Jem'Hadar. (to Leck) And you shot Moogie!
Leck: I saw we weren't going to rescue her so I put her out of her misery.
Gaila: Who invited him along?
Brunt: Maybe we should start off with something easier.
Nog: Like what?
Brunt: Like ambushing a couple of Bolians.
Nog: You couldn't ambush a Bolian if he was blindfolded and tied to a tree!
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: None of the Ferengi want to work with Brunt, but they're forced to bring him along because he's the only one with a ship.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Keevan, naturally. Every time he opens his mouth.
- The Triple: Rom saying "No" in surprise to what Quark tells him about Ishka and the Nagus (and rising in pitch each time):Quark: They're lovers.
Quark: It's been going on for over a year now.
Quark: She's his secret financial advisor. She helps him run the entire Ferengi Alliance.
Quark: Would you quit saying that?
- What Happened to the Mouse??: Keevan's corpse. By the time Dukat is seen living in Empok Nor in Covenant, Keevan is long gone and Dukat apparently thinks a Vorta's body endlessly walking into a bulkhead isn't interesting enough to mention to Kira.
- Worthy Opponent: Yelgrun genuinely respects Ferengi cunning, and hopes that they can one day join the Dominion.