Patrick Joseph Wilson (born July 3, 1973 in Norfolk, Virginia) is an American actor and singer.
These days he is mostly known for his roles as Orm Marius in Aquaman (2018) and Ed Warren in The Conjuring and its sequels. However, he also played (a very well-received) Raoul de Chagny in The Phantom of the Opera (2004) and has spent years singing lead roles in major Broadway musicals, beginning with the 1995 national tour of Miss Saigon.
He married Polish actress Dagmara Domińczyk in 2005; they have two sons, Kalin and Kassian.
Not to be confused with the drummer of Weezer.
He appeared in
- Miss Saigon
- Bright Lights Big City
- The Full Monty
- Angels in America
- The Alamo
- The Phantom of the Opera
- Hard Candy
- Barefoot in the Park
- Little Children
- Lakeview Terrace
- Passengers (2008)
- Watchmen (2009) as Dan Dreiberg/Nite Owl II
- American Dad!
- The A-Team
- The Switch
- Insidious as Josh Lambert
- Morning Glory (2010) as Adam Bennett
- The Ledge
- Young Adult
- A Gifted Man
- Space Station 76
- The Conjuring Universe as Ed Warren
- Bone Tomahawk
- Fargo (2015) as Lou Solverson
- Brigadoon (2017)
- DC Extended Universe
- In The Tall Grass (2019)
- Midway (2019)
- Moonfall (2022)
Tropes in his works:
- Affectionate Nickname: As seen in many of their joint interviews, Vera Farmiga affectionately calls him "Aqua-Guy", a reference to his role in Aquaman.
- The Cast Showoff: Got to play guitar and sing "Can't Help Falling In Love" in The Conjuring II, to the swooning of a thousand fangirls (and Vera Farmiga).
- Dueling-Stars Movie: The theatrical version. The NYCC limited-run revival of Brigadoon was, more or less, just an excuse to watch him play a romantic leading role opposite the equally legendary Kelli O'Hara. The two had wanted to work together for years, and jumped at the chance.
- The Knights Who Say "Squee!":
- Had a pretty serious (and very mutual) case of this going on when he got to star opposite the legendary Kelli O'Hara in Brigadoon. They had always wanted to work together but had never gotten the chance, and this behind-the-scenes documentary shows a lot of mutual squeeing over each other.
- He was equally squeeful upon getting asked to do a duet with none other than Barbra Streisand on her album Encore!, as seen here. They sang a gorgeous rendition of "Loving You" from Sondheim's Passion.
- Like Brother and Sister: With his Conjuring co-star Vera Farmiga, whom he absolutely adores. While they were already friendly beforehand, Farmiga having worked and become good friends with his wife Dagmara Domińczyknote , they have become incredibly close through their work in the franchise. Farmiga spelled it out in an interview:Vera: We are family at this point. Patrick knows the deepest parts of me, hes in the inner circles of my life. We adore each other, and we adore each others families. We have so much in common. That deep friendship is a gift from God.
- Mr. Fanservice: Tends to do shirtless or nude scenes in his films.
- Nice Guy: His characters are often this.
- Papa Wolf: When he plays a parental figure, they're often this.
- Production Posse: Has starred in 6 James Wan films — Insidious, Insidious: Chapter 2, The Conjuring, The Conjuring II, Aquaman, and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom.
- Sibling Team: He and his brothers make up the bulk of The Wilson Van, a band which puts on occasional concerts for charity. (Also included are a few family friends.)
- Star-Making Role: His role as Joe Pitt in Angels in America opened the door to a Hollywood career for Wilson, whose work had been almost entirely confined to the stage until then.
- Tenor Boy: Most of his Broadway roles, as well as the film version of Raoul de Chagny.
- Those Two Actors:
- What Could Have Been: