Vera Ann Farmiga (/fɑrˈmiːɡə/; born August 6, 1973 in Clifton, New Jersey) is an American actor and film director of Ukrainian descent.
She made her feature film debut in the 1998 drama thriller Return to Paradise. This was followed by supporting roles in the 2000 romantic film Autumn in New York and the 2001 television series UC: Undercover. She was also cast in the 2001 thriller 15 Minutes. Her other film appearances and roles include the 2003 comedy Dummy, the 2004 drama Down to the Bone, the 2006 crime thriller The Departed, the 2007 horror Joshua, and the 2008 historical drama The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. She made her directorial debut in the 2011 drama film Higher Ground, which also starred her sister, Taissa Farmiga.
Farmiga gained critical acclaim following her performance as businesswoman Alex Goran in the 2009 comedy-drama Up in the Air, for which she was nominated for an Academy Award, a BAFTA Award, a Golden Globe Award, and a Screen Actors Guild Award for Best Supporting Actress. She also starred as Kate Coleman in the 2009 horror film Orphan, Capt. Colleen Goodwin in the 2011 action-thriller movie Source Code, and famous paranormal investigator Lorraine Warren in the 2013 horror film The Conjuring. From 2013 to 2017, she starred as Norma Louise Bates in the A&E TV series, Bates Motel, for which she won the 2014 Saturn Award for Best Actress on Television, and was nominated for the 2013 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series.
She was married to Sebastian Roché from 1997 to 2004. Since 2008, she has been married to rock band Deadsy member Renn Hawkey, with whom she has two children.
- Roar (1997) as Caitlin
- Law & Order (1998) as Lindsay Carson
- Dust (2001) as Amy
- Dummy (2003) as Lorena
- Iron Jawed Angels (2004) as Ruza Wenclawska
- The Manchurian Candidate (2004) as Jocelyne Jordan
- Neverwas (2005) as Eleanna
- Running Scared (2006) as Teresa Gazelle
- The Departed (2006) as Madolyn Madden
- Joshua (2007) as Abby Cairn
- The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (2008) as Elsa
- Orphan (2009) as Kate Coleman
- Up in the Air (2009) as Alex Goran
- Source Code (2011) as Capt. Colleen Goodwin
- Higher Ground (2011) as Corinne Walker note
- Safe House (2012) as Catherine Linklater
- Bates Motel (2013 — 2017) as Norma Louise Bates
- The Conjuring Universe (2013 — present) as Lorraine Warren:
- The Judge (2014) as Samantha Powell
- Special Correspondents (2016) as Eleanor
- The Commuter (2018) as Joanna
- Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams (2018) as The Candidate
- Captive State (2019) as Jane Doe / Priscilla Scott
- Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) as Emma Russell
- When They See Us (2019) as Elizabeth Lederer
- Hawkeye (TBD) as Eleanor Bishop
She provides examples of:
- Hidden Depths: Vera is Ukrainian American (her first name means "faith" in Ukrainian) and was raised in an insular ethnic community that spoke Ukrainian as first language. She did not learn English until she was six.
- Massive Numbered Siblings: She is the second of seven siblings. Also a case of Practically Different Generations since she and Taissa, the youngest sister, are over 20 years apart in age.
- Ms. Fanservice: Many of her roles are qualify as this.