Warning: Spoilers Ahead!
open/close all folders
The main protagonist of this film, a troubled teenage girl who doesn't like robots, at least until she encounters 7723.
- Action Girl: She fights off robots at one point in the movie.
- Anti-Hero: The protagonist of the movie... who is also a rebellious, law-breaking teenager who almost kills another girl.
- Badass Adorable: A cute teenage girl who can fight off robots when she has to.
- Boyish Short Hair: Mai cut her hair as she became a teenager and she is very much a Tomboy.
- Childish Tooth Gap: Mai has an obvious gap in her front teeth.
- Deadpan Snarker: Mai makes some snarky comments every now and then.
- Delinquent Hair: Mai has short, purple, punk hair.
- Kid Hero: She's only a teenager and our protagonist.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Her father had an argument with her mother that caused him to leave their house, and is implied to have died not long after. And she spent years of being neglected by her grieving mother, and was bullied at school by Greenwood.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Mai is moody, cynical, rude, sarcastic, rebellious and a bit violent, but her heart is in the right place and she genuinely cares for her mom and (later) 7723 .
- Passionate Sports Girl: Mai seems to like soccer and baseball.
- Tomboy: A rebellious girl who loves sports, painting graffiti, can fight off robots and generally isn't very feminine.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: 7723 finds an origami unicorn in her bag.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Had she not come across 7723 accidentally, Dr. Rice may have been able to prevent anyone (specially himself) from getting hurt by Ares or Mai/7723's own actions.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Mai has purple hair, and considering that she had it even before she became a rebellious teenager, it's safe to assume that it's her natural hair color, somehow.
- Youthful Freckles: Mai has freckles on her cheeks and is a teenager.
- Cute Machines: He is quite lovable for a robot who has weapons implemented into him.
- Deuteragonist: To Mai's protagonist.
- Lightning Bruiser: As his battle with Ares shows, he is both agile and strong.
- My Skull Runneth Over: His memory storage unit becomes damaged, forcing him to rely on the much more finite internal storage and thus have to manage which memories he gets to keep as time progresses. As he grows to care for Mai this becomes more difficult as he cherishes all his memories of her too much.
- Nice Guy: 7723 is a loyal friend to Mai and always tries to avoid conflict whenever he can, even if he isn't always succesful
- Speaks Fluent Animal: It doesn't really amount to much besides comic relief but he can translate Momo's barks.
- Pacifist: He REALLY doesn't want to fight nor harm anyone. Even against Ares he doesn't really fight back until he realizes just how deranged and insane Ares really is.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Despite being 1/5th of Ares' size he is able to hold his own without his weapon system against the latter, and utterly trashes him once he gets them back.
- Mama Bear: She goes BERSERK on Ares' Justin Pin puppet body, beating it down into the ground senseless while shouting insults in quick succession for trying to kill her daughter.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After being saved by Mai, she apologizes over her neglect and promises to be a better mother in the future.
- Parents as People: She loves her daughter, but her grief over her husband's absence and implied death has made her neglect Mai in favor of finding comfort in the Q-Bots. She comes to realize this and eventually apologizes to Mai, after being rescued from Ares' clutches.
Mai's pet dog.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: And how! His swear words are all bleeped out, however.
Mai's Disappeared Dad
Citizens of Grainland
- Alpha Bitch: The undisputed one of Grainland's School. At least until Mai shows her how much her bullying damages people. Interestingly enough, she is more tomboyish than the most.
- HeelFace Turn: After Mai takes her retribution too far, she realizes how wrong she was in bullying her and not only befriends her but also helps her fight against Ares and his minions.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Realizes, after nearly getting killed by a furious Mai, that she was wrong in bullying Mai, and eventually apologizes and teams up with her to stop Ares' plans.
- Took a Level in Kindness: She goes from brutally bullying Mai to seeing her as "cool" and being pretty good friends with her.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Light, grayish-blue to be specific.
- Adorkable: Ani is shy and awkward, but also one of the nicest characters in the movie.
- Ambiguously Gay: Some of her behavior makes it look like she has a crush on Mai.
- Fiery Redhead: Averted, or at least downplayed. Ani is a redhead, but she is also very shy and fairly level-headed. That said, she does demonstrate this trope a bit when she calls Greenwood out for being mean to her.
- Nerd Glasses: Ani is a fairly unpopular, geeky girl who wears glasses.
- Nice Girl: She is kind and polite to Mai and at one point, she calls Greenwood out for being a Jerkass to everyone.
The CEO of IQ Robotics. A charismatic inventor who enjoys cracking jokes.
- Big Bad: Appears to be this at first, but then it's revealed that the real Justin Pin was killed by Ares before the events of the movie and was replaced by a robot copy.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: A CEO of IQ Robotics who is obviously planning something nefarious... Subverted, as all of his evil acts come from being controlled by Ares.
- Dead All Along: Ares replaced him with a robot prior to the events of the film.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: The real Justin Pin considered Ares to be his greatest creation and thus would flatter Ares by calling him a "perfect machine". This led Ares to legit believe that he was superior to everyone else.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He (or more specifically Ares) has the goal of making a better world... by wiping out all of humanity.
Dr. Tanner Rice
A scientist working for Pin. He created 7723 in secret in an attempt to counteract Justin's plans.
Dr. Rice's assistant bot.
Pin's bodyguard, a large black hulking robot that never leaves Justin's side.
- Dragon-in-Chief: "Justin Pin" is actually a bionic puppet Ares controls remotely, meaning Ares technically fulfills the role of the Big Bad and The Dragon at the same time.
- Dark Is Evil: Ares has a very dark color scheme and is the Big Bad of the movie.
- Kill All Humans: He wants all humans dead, and plans on using the Gen 6 Q-Bots to do his job, by getting them in all human residences and blowing them up.
- Laughably Evil: Enjoys cracking jokes after committing murderous/vile acts.
Gen 6 Q-Bots