Short hair and two tails on either side of the head that are at least shoulder-length, used to characterize girls who are Tomboys
, or at least don't act in a "proper" girlish manner. Has similar effect as Short Hair with Tail
, because short hair is boyish but the tails makes the hair just girly enough. Sometimes the sidetails are the only visual clue that the character is in fact a girl. Also known as "forelocks" or "payot
Compare Tomboyish Ponytail
, Boyish Short Hair
, Braids of Action
Contrast Regal Ringlets
, Ojou Ringlets
, Girlish Pigtails
, Prim and Proper Bun
, and Motherly Side Plait
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Azumanga Daioh: Both Kagura and her PE teacher, Minamo Kurosawa, have them. Though Minamo keeps hers neater, while Kagura's edge closer to being Hot-Blooded Sideburns.
- Misaki Suzuhara from Angelic Layer, at least in the manga where she is more overreactive and easily excited.
- Tamaki Kawazoe from Bamboo Blade who is a kendo prodigy.
- Souseiseki from Rozen Maiden is sometimes drawn with these.
- Lind from Ah! My Goddess has one of these and is a Valkyrie, a member of the battle division of Heaven.
- Agnes from Zero no Tsukaima, who is captain of Tristain's Royal Musketeers.
- Forte Stollen from Galaxy Angel has one of these and has a very masculine personality.
- Rico from Gunslinger Girl though her sidetails are on the short side.
- Kung-Fu Kid Rio Wesley from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid, though only in her normal form as her Older Alter Ego invokes Power Makes Your Hair Grow.
- Hana, the Badass Adorable fighter of the Urashichiken in Gate 7. However, this trope is used to give hir an androgynous look to emphasize hir No Biological Sex instead of emphasize a tomboyish attitude.
- An interesting variation occurs in Spider Riders. Akune wears earrings with long purple ribbons that are the exact same shade as her tomboyishly short hair. Although not hair, they have visually the same effect, and her status as a Brainwashed and Crazy Dark Action Girl definitely qualifies her as a tomboy.
- Deignated tomboy in K-On!, Ritsu, specifically engineered by her hairband to show off her Forehead of Doom and avoid the sort of Blinding Bangs her hair might normally look like. At one point when she considers letting her hair grow long, Yui thinks she'd be enveloped by two super-sized sidetails.
- Slightly Tomboy Princess Elnavista Leopold in Kyoumen No Silhouette. Also her Identical Stranger Teshio, but in a subvertion, he's a guy..
- Lain Iwakura from Serial Experiments Lain has a single sidetail.
- Crona from Soul Eater has a hairstyle sort of like this, although it's not clear whether Crona is a girl.
- Ryuko Matoi of Kill la Kill grows a pair of these when she activates Senketsu.
- The eponymous heroine of Birdy the Mighty sports a pair and, like the rest of her hair, one lock is white, while the other is hot pink.
- Girls Bravo: Kosame frames her hair with a set to accentuate her professional appearance as a covert operative.
- Mekakucity Actors: Kido had this style as a young girl, but as she got older grew it out into a Tomboyish Ponytail. She still keeps the side-tails (which are the only parts of her hair visible while she's got her hood up).
- Tionne "T-Boz" Watikins, of the girl group TLC, wears her hair like this, even to this day.
- Juno from the Soul Nomad, the commander of all the Nereid land forces.
- May from Pokémon. A variant, as the rest of her hair appears to be tied up under her bandanna.
- Kasuga from Sengoku Basara goes to the logical extreme, with cropped hair at the back and waist-length tails. While still pretty feminine in personality, she is a ninja, so her job requires short hair (not that the tails are at all practical).
- Lakche from Fire Emblem Jugdral, also very hotblooded.
- Savyna from Baten Kaitos has this along with a ponytail, similar to Korra's example below. She's a bit more stoic than usual for this trope, but she still fits.
- Gena from Generation Of Chaos, the Leader of the 8th Dravanian Knight Unit. is belligerent and headstrong.
- Samus Aran sports these along with a ponytail for the Prime trilogy and Brawl, though you don't see it often due to her staying in her armour most of the time.
- Karst from Golden Sun: The Lost Age wears her hair short, with sidetails around her ears and a tail in the back.
- Sheba also has sidetails to go with her infamous bowl cut.