Western Animation: Happily N'Ever After
Happily N'Ever After is a 2007 animated film set in a troperiffic fairy tale land. Cinderella's Evil Stepmother gains control of the land's magic and uses it to cause all the fairy tales to have unhappy endings.The film was critically panned, and failed to make its budget back at the box office, but made enough in home video to justify a Direct-to-DVD sequel.
Happily N'Ever After provides examples of:
- Abnormal Ammo: The Dwarves use diamonds as ammo.
- Adorkable: Mambo
- All-Natural Gem Polish
- Apple of Discord: The hero causes the wolves to fight over who is stronger with this.
- Blondes Are Evil: The Stepmother.
- Damsel in Distress: Played with. Prince Humperdink hopes Ella is one, but in the end she kicks more ass than he does.
- Deadpan Snarker: Rick
- Disney Villain Death: Subverted: the stepmother is pushed in a bottomless fiery pit, but she flies back to the room thanks to the scepter. She's defeated when Ella push her in the dimensional portal.
- Evil Stepmother: Ella's stepmother.
- For the Lulz: The Evil stepmother Frieda decides to take over the Wizards' wand and give a bad ending to all the various fairy tales... for fun...
- Fractured Fairy Tale: The whole point of the film. Even when evil is vanquished and everybody gets a happy ending, not all of them are traditional (Ella, for instance, decides not to marry the Prince).
- Greek Chorus: Mambo and Munk.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Rick makes one for Ella in the climax.
- Impossible Hourglass Figure: The Stepmother.
- Indecisive Deconstruction: Happily N'Ever After is a Partial Deconstruction; it comes close to deconstructing the typical Disney fairytale storyline, but since it's a kids' movie couldn't go all the way.
- Limited Animation: Largely due to sending animation to several studios even though it had a moderate budget.
- Off Model: The film had three Canadian studios and one Japanese studio. This is the result.
- Orcus on His Throne: Notable aversion: as soon as her mooks fail to capture Elle, Frieda decides to go after her herself.
- Our Trolls Are Different: Huge, dumb monsters with bunny ears.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Cinderella's magically made dress, which is Pink.
- Prince Charmless: Prince Humperdink.
- Title Drop
- What Happened to the Mouse??: Ella's stepsisters disappear early on in the film, despite the fact that their mother is the main villain.
Happily N'Ever After 2: Snow White Another Bite @ the Apple provides examples of:
- Art Evolution: Inverted. The animation is much worse, on par with or worse than fellow sequel Space Chimps 2, Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future and the early Transformers Generation 2 commercials.
- Ascended Extra: The 7 Dwarfs. They appeared in a scene in the first film.
- Bishonen Line: The Evil Stepmother of this movie starts out ugly and is turned beautiful.
- Black Best Friend: Bo Peep to Snow White. Also, Little Red Riding Hood seems to be Snow White's Arab Best Friend, complete with headscarf-esque hood.
- Continuity Nod/The Cameo: A picture of Ella and Rick.
- Dance Party Ending: The song even has "dance party" in the lyrics.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: If Lady Vain had just gotten married (to illustrate, Snow White was OK with this), she would've had a chance to have Snow White and King Cold killed off eventually and not be punished due to Villain with Good Publicity in play. Unfortunately....
- Disproportionate Retribution: Lady Vain tries to kill Snow White for being more humble than before, to illustrate, Snow White was actually ok with her marriage as long as her dad was ok with it. Lady Vain basically threw away her chance to rule for her own pettiness.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: In Happily N'Ever After, Rumpelstiltskin starts out evil and later turns good. In the sequel he's back to being evil, with no explanation given. Logically, the movie should take place before the first movie, since the dwarves already met Snow White; despite this, it is flat out said to happen AFTER the events of the first movie in the introduction.
- Villain Ball: Lady Vain was going to become queen, even Snow White, who had gotten past her own selfishness, was going to allow the marriage, but then she just had to decide to kill her
- Walk Through The Camera: A scene where a group of trolls begin walking toward a light shining at the castle. A pink one walks into the camera and walks back out.