In a Gangster Land, there's the Neighbourhood-Friendly Gangsters and then there's these. These are not your Neighbourhood-Friendly Gangsters, where crime syndicates treat the inhabitants inside their areas with at least some respect. Instead, they are just as violent towards the civilians in their areas (and any civilian that accidentally crosses their path), treating them just like a rival crime syndicate.
In many cases, they would have some form of a de-facto Police State that watches over the neighbourhood (or sometimes a Secret Police), Fascists' Bed Time in the form of violent crime overnight, The Aggressive Drug Dealer-styled drug enforcement or even forced Conscription into the gangster ranks. Sometimes said Police State would overlap with State Sec, if said crime syndicate is very close to the enforcers. Professional Killers would be commonplace in the area. In more severe cases, they would become an N.G.O. Superpower, rivaling the government in military power (or even being able to overpower it). Needless to say, these types of gangs may be seen as just as bad, if not worse than police corruption. Sometimes, the civilians would either become The Informant, (minus the criminal part) or actively try to rebel against the syndicate. When the civilians do try to rebel against the gangs, if they do suppress it, then they would crush the populace or even resort to a Final Solution.
See also Vice City, Caught in the Bad Part of Town and The City Narrows. Compare with Taking Over the Town, Gangster Land and Wretched Hive. Compare and Contrast Ruthless Foreign Gangsters, in which it's the Crime Syndicates outside the area that are being ruthless and N.G.O. Superpower, in which although it does mean non-governmental organisations rivaling governments, doesn't just refer to Crime Syndicates.
- In Batgirl (2011), the Disgraced were a gang who attempted to take over Gotham's Cherry Hill District in order to run it according to their own extreme version of law and order.
- In Hobo with a Shotgun, Hope Town is portrayed as a Wretched Hive where every manner of horrible acts run wild and free under the thumb of the Drake and his sons, a crime family who has every cop paid off to let them get away with every horrible deed imaginable in public and duly punish anyone who so much as says anything bad about them. They are so cartoonishly evil, their Establishing Character Moment involved the Drake brutally killing his own brother in broad daylight in front of civilians just to make an example out of him.
- Banlieue 13: In the walled-off crime-ridden districts of Paris, the major gangs function as de facto feudal overlords, as the government has all but given up on trying to police the area. For instance, they're perfectly capable of kidnapping the protagonist's sister from her job as a supermarket clerk with nobody batting an eye.
- Blue Bloods: The Bitterman Housing Projects , from season 3's final two episodes The Bitter End and This Way Out, has been turned into a hellhole with the residents hounded and terrorized by the vicious Los Lordes Gang, led by the monstrous Santana. Things have become so bad that one young mother kills herself and her baby to escape. Following the police refusing to drop the investigation, Santana declares war on them as if they were only another gang, arranging multiple ambushes including one that kills Danny Reagan's partner and friend Vinnie. It's only a massive number of police storming in and arresting them which stops this.
- After Empire City becomes quarantined when the Ray Sphere explodes in Infamous, the three different sections of the city are soon overrun by gangs trying to take over the now lawless metropolis. The Neon District is swarmed by the Reapers, who were allegedly drug-dealers and petty criminals before being revealed to just be regular citizens Brainwashed and Crazy by the conduit Sasha. The Warren District is taken over the Dustmen, Empire City's homeless population who have been gathered under the telekinetic Alden Tate. While not a gang, the First Sons are an Ancient Conspiracy organization who take over the Historic District similar to the other gangs under the rule of their leader Kessler who manipulated everything since before the beginning in order to mold Cole MacGrath into the perfect hero.
- Many drug cartels act like this, being responsible for numerous killings, kidnappings, and trafficking of civilians, mainly Mexican civilians, though foreigners and government agents (both from Mexico and USA) can suffer this fate as well. They also have experience in the slave trade, which involves the kidnapping of women and children to be sold by other crime syndicates with questionable ethics.
- Some Third World countries let the gangsters run their prisons, only leaving the wardens with ensuring nobody escapes. In some cases, it results in gang-less or foreign inmates getting extorted, enslaved and sometimes murdered.