In a Gangster Land, there's the Neighbourhood-Friendly Gangsters and then there's these. These are not your Neighbourhood-Friendly Gangsters, where crime syndicates treat the inhabitants inside their areas with at least some respect. Instead, they are just as violent towards the civilians in their areas (and any civilian that accidentally crosses their path), treating them just like a rival crime syndicate.
In many cases, they would have some form of a de-facto Police State that watches over the neighborhood (or sometimes a Secret Police), Fascists' Bed Time in the form of violent crime overnight, The Aggressive Drug Dealer-styled drug enforcement or even forced Conscription into the gangster ranks. Sometimes said Police State would overlap with State Sec, if said crime syndicate is very close to the enforcers. Professional Killers would be commonplace in the area. In more severe cases, they would become an N.G.O. Superpower, rivaling the government in military power (or even being able to overpower it). Needless to say, these types of gangs may be seen as just as bad, if not worse than police corruption. Sometimes, the civilians would either become The Informant, (minus the criminal part) or actively try to rebel against the syndicate. When the civilians do try to rebel against the gangs, if they do suppress it, then they would crush the populace or even resort to a Final Solution.
See also Vice City, Caught in the Bad Part of Town and The City Narrows. Compare with Taking Over the Town, Gangster Land and Wretched Hive. Compare and Contrast Ruthless Foreign Gangsters, in which it's the Crime Syndicates outside the area that are being ruthless and N.G.O. Superpower, in which although it does mean non-governmental organizations rivaling governments, doesn't just refer to Crime Syndicates. Could be the result of an Anarcho-Tyranny, where the tyrannical government deliberately lets the gangs have their way in specific parts of the country.
- Black Lagoon: The criminal gangs of Roanapur rule over their Wretched Hive with an iron fist, and Hotel Moscow stands above them with their extreme ruthlessness and military-style precision (and level of firepower). Most, if not all, kinds of ruckus within city limits that merits them coming to deal with it ends with a brutal bloodbath, and in one arc where Balalaika is asked by her bosses to assist a Yakuza clan they were trying to ally with over on Japan, Balalaika finds it better (not to mention more exciting) to just kill everybody and perform a full-blown occupation.
- In Batgirl (2011), the Disgraced were a gang who attempted to take over Gotham's Cherry Hill District in order to run it according to their own extreme version of law and order.
- In Hobo with a Shotgun, Hope Town is portrayed as a Wretched Hive where every manner of horrible acts run wild and free under the thumb of the Drake and his sons, a crime family who has every cop paid off to let them get away with every horrible deed imaginable in public and duly punish anyone who so much as says anything bad about them. They are so cartoonishly evil, their Establishing Character Moment involved the Drake brutally killing his own brother in broad daylight in front of civilians just to make an example out of him.
- Banlieue 13: In the walled-off crime-ridden districts of Paris, the major gangs function as de facto feudal overlords, as the government has all but given up on trying to police the area. For instance, they're perfectly capable of kidnapping the protagonist's sister from her job as a supermarket clerk with nobody batting an eye.
- The Crow: Top Dollar's crime syndicate regularly engages in arson around Detroit and has the citizens living in those buildings robbed, brutalized, and murdered on a regular basis. At a conference, he suggests that he and his fellow gangsters should just forget about actually profiting from their crimes and instead burn the entire city to the ground for shits and giggles.
- The Axe Gang in Kung Fu Hustle rule all of Shanghai and spend an awful lot of time, energy and resources to snuff out any sign of dissonance. They were able to spook the entire Shanghai Police Department and clear out the streets just to kill the Crocodile Gang (which has been reduced to just four guys and the boss' defenseless wife after the Axe Gang recruited former Crocodiles), they send an army of goons to ransack the impoverished Pig Sty Alley when two of their lowest goons fail to intimidate them, they hire two of the most deadly (and expensive) assassins in the world when three of their tenants manage to fend them off, then they break out the Beast - who was being held at a government facility for being the deadliest man on Earth - when that fails.
- Blue Bloods: The Bitterman Housing Projects , from season 3's final two episodes The Bitter End and This Way Out, has been turned into a hellhole with the residents hounded and terrorized by the vicious Los Lordes Gang, led by the monstrous Santana. Things have become so bad that one young mother kills herself and her baby to escape. Following the police refusing to drop the investigation, Santana declares war on them as if they were only another gang, arranging multiple ambushes including one that kills Jamie Reagan's partner Vinny Cruz (himself a kid from the projects), and tricking a mentally ill kid into shooting and paralyzing the Mayor during a town hall meeting. With some additional witnesses flipped, the police are able to orchestrate a massive raid of the complex to flush out the Los Lordes.
- After Empire City becomes quarantined when the Ray Sphere explodes in inFAMOUS, the three different sections of the city are soon overrun by gangs trying to take over the now lawless metropolis. The Neon District is swarmed by the Reapers, who were allegedly drug-dealers and petty criminals before being revealed to just be regular citizens Brainwashed and Crazy by the conduit Sasha. The Warren District is taken over the Dustmen, Empire City's homeless population who have been gathered under the telekinetic Alden Tate. While not a gang, the First Sons are an Ancient Conspiracy organization who take over the Historic District similar to the other gangs under the rule of their leader Kessler who manipulated everything since before the beginning in order to mold Cole MacGrath into the perfect hero.
- Many drug cartels act like this, being responsible for numerous killings, kidnappings, and trafficking of civilians, mainly Mexican civilians, though foreigners and government agents (both from Mexico and USA) can suffer this fate as well. They also have experience in the slave trade, which involves the kidnapping of women and children to be sold by other crime syndicates with questionable ethics.
- Some Third World countries let the gangsters run their prisons, only leaving the wardens with ensuring nobody escapes. In some cases, it results in gang-less or foreign inmates getting extorted, enslaved and sometimes murdered.