Attack on Titan is a harsh and unforgiving setting, but it doesn't mean our heroes can't bask in camaraderie, remember their valiant efforts, and look forward to a hopeful future.
Warning: Spoilers Off applies to these pages. Please proceed at your own risk.
"To You, in 2000 Years: The Fall of Shiganshina, Part 1"
- Carla's concern for her only son's life. She perishes the thought of losing him outside the Walls.
- Armin is being bullied by three louts who have been listening to the Wall Cult too much. Eren charges them down in defence of his once only and oldest friend and he has done so many times before.
"That Day: The Fall of Shiganshina, Part 2"
- The root of all Eren's rage against the Titans is his mother's death. Although he seemed to slightly resent her protectiveness; his love for her is as absolute as hers was unconditional and his desire to avenge her drives him in even his darkest moments.
- Armin protecting Eren from his own foolishness when he kicks an unsympathetic Garrison Soldier in the shin and gets beaten in return.
- Mikasa putting a suicidal Eren in his place when he lashes out unjustly at Armin. She effectively drums it into him that they have to rely on the kindness of Wall Rose's government and that "auntie" Carla made her promise to keep him safe.
- Armin's grandpa taking part in the Wall Maria Take-back Operation. Evidently doing it so his grandson will have a better chance at survival. That's old viking going to fight a bear levels of selflessness.
- Eren's ambition to overcome all the odds of the Titan Invasion for the sake of Humanity as well as his vengeance, spurring his friends to join the Cadets with him. But EMA have to understandably struggle over letting each other face mortal peril. With the only compromise being that they stay as one and face it all together. Now that's true friendship.Eren Jaeger: The Titans are the cause of all this. If only we could defeat them. Our place in the world would be ours again. Armin, I'm going to apply for the Cadets next year.Armin Arlelt: (shocked and dismayed)Mikasa Ackerman: (closes her eyes, resigned but mournful)Eren: I'll gain the strength to fight them!Armin: ... Me too.Eren: (horrified) Armin?!Armin: (resolved) Me too!Mikasa: I will as well.Eren: Mikasa! You don't need to! You said yourself that staying alive is what's important!Mikasa: Yes. that's why I'm doing it. So you won't die.
"A Dim Light Amid Despair: Humanity's Comeback, Part 1"
- Sasha offering Keith Shadis "half" of her steaming potato, after admitting that she took it and ate it because she didn't want it to go cold. The instructor is so confused that, although he punishes her for stealing food by running laps, he appears genuinely a bit touched.
- Reiner and Bertholdt taking Eren and Armin on the head-clearing moonlit hike into the mountains. Just lads being good lads, taking in nature, sharing motivations and reminisces while bolstering each others resolve for the training to come. Though later reveals make this warm scene where Armin encourages Bert not to be ashamed of his fear and Eren holding new-found esteem for Reiner as a role-model become so much more painful.
"The Night of the Graduation Ceremony: Humanity's Comeback, Part 2"
- During Jean and Eren's fight in the mess hall, Mikasa steps in and tries to ease tempers. All she does is grab Eren's hand, and he calms down. This says a lot about their relationship. Eren was furious at Jean's selfishness but Mikasa's touch calmed him down immediately and he backed off just because she wanted him to. He even looked ashamed of himself for getting so worked up. This proves that Eren doesn't really consider Mikasa a bother like some fans think, and he really does care about and listen to her.
- The trio meeting Hannes again after graduation. They greet and joke with each other at first, and then Hannes tells Eren that Carla's death still haunts him. Eren reassures him that it wasn't his fault, apologising for his naivety and how they will endeavour to defeat the Titans.
- In Chapter 17, Eren tries to impress Annie with his kick to which she teases back that he's hopeless at it. When he asks her about her technique, it's the only time in the manga to date that we see her sincerely smile. Also heart-warming because it signifies the beginning of an unlikely friendship.
"First Battle: The Struggle for Trost, Part 1"
- "Please... Don't die."
- Eren shakes off a severed leg and what must be multiple fractured bones in order to save his oldest friend from a Titan's gullet. That level of brotherhood is beyond Shakespearean.
"The World the Girl Saw: The Struggle for Trost, Part 2"
- The little girl thanking Mikasa for saving her during the evacuation of Trost. Made even sweeter by Mikasa's reaction; she smiles and salutes, making the girl gasp with admiration.
- In the flashback where Eren rescues Mikasa from human traffickers, Mikasa, still in shock from the whole ordeal, mentions that she's cold. Eren immediately takes off his scarf and wraps it around her in as comforting a gesture as he can manage, being Eren's first of a few rare Adorkable moments in the series.
- This is the same scarf that Mikasa continues to wear as an adolescent and symbolises the red string of fate that joins two souls forever along the same destiny.
- We also see that Grisha was far more worked up about his only son risking his life so recklessly rather than the fact that Eren had just committed double homicide at the tender age of nine! When Eren cries that he simply didn't know how else to save Mikasa, his father stops his admonitions cold and can only stare at his son with a faint mixture of pride, worry and awe that Eren's actions didn't stem from bloodlust but from a fanatically genuine desire to protect innocence and freedom.
- The fact that after the deaths of Mikasa's parents, the Jaegers took Mikasa in without a moment's hesitation. And judging from what we saw of her interactions with Carla and Grisha, it's clear that they treated her with the same love and care they gave their own son. Though it came on the heels of one of the darkest times in her life, it is rather nice to know that Mikasa spent the aftermath of that horror in the care of genuinely good people.
"Small Blade: The Struggle for Trost, Part 3"
- Right before Armin and Connie find Mikasa, she's about to give up and let a Titan eat her but then we get this beautifully tear-wrenching, life-reaffirming soliloquy.Mikasa: Why? I was sure I'd given up... Why... am I standing? Why... am I struggling? What for..? After all... I've lost any reason to live. ... So what's driving me?Past!Eren: Fight! Fight! Fight!Mikasa: Eren...Past!Eren: Fight! You have to fight! FIGHT! FIGHT!Mikasa: I'm so sorry, Eren. I won't give up anymore. I'll never give up again. Because if I died... These memories of you will die with me. So... I'll do whatever it takes to win! Whatever it takes to live!
- As she takes strength from her remembrance of Eren's rare happy moments. We see a flash of what Mikasa was doing in the first episode while Eren was sleeping under a tree, looking uncharacteristically at peace. Mikasa for a moment watched him slumber closely with a look of utter adoration on her cherubic face!
- When Armin gives Mikasa his remaining gas and plans to commit suicide to avoid being Eaten Alive, she tosses his remaining blade over the roof edge, and tells him to come with her because she'll never leave him behind.
"I Can Hear His Heartbeat: The Struggle for Trost, Part 4"
- Marco assuring Jean that he galvanised the troops properly and would make a good leader because he can empathise with the weak-willed; knowing what it was like to still have some of that lingering frailty.
- The stern-faced Mikasa bawling her eyes out when she finds Eren alive and well. The fact that he was found controlling the body of a Titan doesn't register for a second when she runs down the street towards him. That she had just earlier accepted his demise makes her breakdown all the more powerful as she's overcome with joyous relief that he's safe and anguish that she must unstitch her emotional wounds and may lose him again.
- Additionally, when Armin sees Eren's regenerated arm and leg he remembers that they were trying to reach for each other when the Titan snapped its jaws shut and swallowed him; Armin crouches down and laces their fingers together sobbing in gratitude to see his best friend returned whole to him. Making up for not being able to take his hand before.
"Whereabouts of His Left Arm: The Struggle for Trost, Part 5"
- Levi's introduction initially makes him seem like a cold neat-freak who gets pissed when he gets Titan blood on him, but when his subordinate is bleeding to death, he ignores all the gore on the injured soldier's hand in order to grasp it in comfort and solidarity and reassure him that his sacrifice was not in vain; that his death and every other will bolster his own spirit in order to end the war for good.
- Neither Armin and especially not Mikasa have a moment's doubt before being shown to be willing to sacrifice their lives, social standing, and everything to run off with Eren after the military and pretty much everyone turns against him. It isn't even a plot point, it isn't discussed. Their support to Eren is a given and completely unconditional. That, my friends, is a true bond.
"Response: The Struggle for Trost, Part 6"
- The sheer bromantic levels of trust Eren and Armin have for each other. The positive feedback loop goes something like this: "you've saved my life before and you never knew it. I'd gladly rely on you again because you are the most reliable man I know!" "I trust you more than anyone in this world. I was a fool to never realise you trusted me just as much. If you say jump. I ask how high!"
- The little nod Eren gives Armin when he quails under the pressure, giving Armin all the fuel he needs to light one hell of a fire in his heart.
- It appears Armin failed in his negotiations and he's about to be attacked. Cut to Mikasa drawing her blade, ready to pounce at a moments notice, and Eren raising his hand to his mouth, prepared to transform just minutes after his last transformation. It goes without saying, don't even think about messing with these True Companions.
"Can't Look Into His Eyes Yet: Eve of the Counter-attack, Part 1"
- During Eren's trial, one merchant makes the mistake of assuming that Mikasa is a Titan too, because he's operating on panicked mob psychology or something. Eren takes offence to this, yelling that though he may be a monster, Mikasa has nothing to do with it.
- Remember: Eren has... a bit of a temper. You would assume that he snaps long before they accuse Mikasa, like when they suggest he be dissected. That part would usually be when anyone would protest in their own defense. But he doesn't. He remains calm. (Well, as calm as he can be under the circumstances). He snaps only when they threaten Mikasa, and he realizes that he needs to come to her aid. This shows that the loyalty and protectiveness in their relationship doesn't just go one way. He does care deeply about her, he just doesn't show it as overtly.
- And during the same trial, when Levi begins kicking the shit out of Eren (as part of the plan to get the court to give the responsibility of handling Eren to the Survey Corps), Mikasa begins to walk over, getting ready to beat Levi up, Armin grabs her by the arm and tells her to wait, and Mikasa lets him hold her back. She could've easily broken out of his grip anytime she wanted to, but she doesn't. It really displays how much she trusts him and values his way of thinking.
"Special Operations Squad: Eve of the Counter-attack, Part 2"
- When Squad Leader Hange Zoë talks to Eren about her experiments with Sawney and Bean, the rest of Levi's squad leaves the room, knowing what's going to happen. From her chipper defence-reflexive attitude, you get the impression that Hange is aware of how she comes across. Eren, wanting to make a good impression with the eccentric senior officer, gladly asks to hear more about her experiments anyway. Which absolutely delights her.
- Hange's bizarre interactions and personality fascination with captive Titans is also astonishingly compassionate considering the state they've reduced humanity to. She even admits she still holds a great deal of hate in her heart but decided that she needed to cast it away for a fresh perspective. The mark of a dispassionate scientist but when it comes time to test Titans for further weaknesses, (often in the form of torture), Hange is beside herself at causing them to suffer.
"What Needs to be Done Now: Eve of the Counter-attack, Part 3"
- When all of Eren's friends in the 104th decide to become members of the Survey Corps, Christa starts crying out of fear of fighting the Titans again. Ymir tells her, "If you're gonna cry, you shouldn't stay." But the way she said it wasn't really "If you're gonna be a big baby then go home." It was more, "If you're scared, you don't have to stay. It's okay if you wanna leave." Which is really nice coming from someone like Ymir.
- Eren has spent all day mucking out the castle's stables but he's rewarded when his duties are finished and he walks outside to spy familiar faces. We see Eren in a rare moment of delight to know his classmates followed him into the Survey Corps because of his passion.
- Jean swallowing his pride and honestly putting his trust in Eren's capabilities on behalf of all the rest of the top ten; nearly begging him to make sure their faith isn't misplaced. Eren is genuinely honoured and overwhelmed at Jean's turnabout.
- During the outset of the 57th Expedition, Eren sees two little children staring at him from a window and talking about how cool the Survey Corps are. The genuine smile on his face is enough to make your heart melt. This poor kid has been through so much, he deserves something to smile about.
"Female Titan: The 57th Exterior Scouting Mission, Part 1"
- Minor given the greater scope of things, but the scene where the Female Titan spares Armin. She just slaughtered a number of the Survey Corps by hand and countless others by luring the Titans towards them, and will continue to kill others afterwards, which almost includes Jean. Yet when she has Armin at her mercy, she merely checks to see that it is in fact him before running off. In the end, it seems that out of all her fellow trainees, Armin was the only one Annie really seemed to like.
"Bite: The 57th Exterior Scouting Mission, Part 3"
- Eren unknowingly transforms into a Titan and Levi's Special Operations Squad assigned mainly for his protection immediately turns on him. After Levi explains their reasoning to Eren and they find out that he really did transform unknowingly, Eld and Gunther admit that they acted too rash. The squad members nod at each other knowingly and simultaneously bite their hands like Eren does when he transforms into Titan (even Oluo), Eld remarks to Eren that it's impressive how he can bring himself to inflict such self-harm. Then, a clearly guilty Petra apologizes to him for being rash and asks Eren to have faith in them from now on, as they will try to have faith in him as well.
"Defeated: The 57th Exterior Scouting Mission, Part 6"
- After their failed mission against the Female Titan, Levi takes the badge off of one of the deceased. We cannot confirm who it is, but it is believed by some to be Petra Ral's badge. After another soldier risks himself and others attempting to recover the body of his dead friend, Levi gives him the badge, telling him that it belonged to the man's friend. Doubles as a Tear Jerker.
"Smile: Assault on Stohess, Part 1"
- Annie, in her own way offering her support to Marlowe if he dares to shoot the corrupt MP officers. She and Hitch are the only two to intervene and stop Marlowe's beating as well.
- Armin's frank 'Good Person' analysis, plus his using Annie's subdued but real feelings of friendship for him and Eren to try and capture her non-lethally.
- Eren practically begging Annie to prove him wrong about her being a Titan infiltrator and Armin joining in, saying that there's still a chance to settle things without violence; they just have to sit down and talk.
"A Choice with No Regrets"
- When meeting Levi, Isabel and Farlan for the first time, Hange tells them they were amazing in taking down their first Titan and how "it was sincerely awe inspiring". This meeting leaves an impression on the trio, as Farlan later points out that even Levi was beginning to get attached to the other members in the legion. It's fitting that this chapter is called "The Heart".
- The trio's friendship in general is this. Even sweeter is that they don't act so much as friends as they do siblings.
- Sasha rushes to a village to evacuate people. She finds only a woman being eaten by a Titan while her child sits there with a blank look on her face. When it becomes clear that she can't kill it, she grabs the child and runs. Along the way, she tells the child to keep running and not stop until she finds people. After successfully blinding and escaping from the Titan, she rushes on to find the child only to discover that she's already been picked up by villagers, Sasha's father among them. Her father relates to her what the girl told them and comments that Sasha has become a splendid person.
- Reiner saving Connie's life in Utgard Castle by shoving him aside and nearly dying in his place. Then attempting a Heroic Sacrifice to save the others.
- Christa's concern for everyone, then bandaging Reiner's fractured ulna and radius with her skirt while apologising for how dirty it is. But Reiner assures her it's fine, even repeating his internal desire to marry a keeper like her!
- Historia cradling a bloody and dismembered Ymir in her arms after the toppling of the castle tower and telling Ymir her real name as she promised. Ymir falls into a healing coma with a genuine smile of contentment instead of her usual snidely cynical smirk.
- Reiner, in his own twisted way, trying to offer Eren an out by peacefully accompanying him and Bert back to their home town. He's disassociated his sins to the point that he believes Eren values their friendship over what he was forced to commit five years ago. Before realising with stark horror that he's a miserable excuse for a human being to think that that would ever fly with any one person in a million years.
- Reiner protecting Bertholdt from Mikasa by shoulder-checking her clean off the Wall. There is an abiding fraternal love between these two young men that is as strong as Eren and Armin's.
- As Eren is in Titan form and duking it out with the Armoured Titan at the foot of the Wall, what is everyone up top doing? Cheering him on! At one point Hange even trusts him enough to land on his shoulder to advise him on strategy. After all the crap he's been given due to his Titan powers, seeing all of Eren's friends and fellow soldiers rooting for him, in his Titan form no less, is a truly satisfying sight.
- When Mikasa hamstrings Reiner, Eren recognises her as she flies past and in his mind he utters her name with a surprising note of affection for her aid, while also at the same time sounding concerned that she's so close to his battle. In the English dub for the same line, Papenbrook even manages to make his guttural monster voice while in Titan form sound almost tender!
- It is sweet to see that Hannes still looks out for the Shiganshina Trio, he offers to get Armin some food and water while he is watching over Mikasa and ruffles his hair affectionately.
- Hannes' talk with Mikasa and Armin, sharing army rations and reminding them how they would always help Eren whenever he picked fights.
- Reiner finding common ground with Ymir, saying how he wants to save Christa from the dark fate the Walls faces just as much as she does. He is even completely transparent in telling Ymir how her life will be compromised if she cooperates with them and that she can only affect Christa's fate for the better. To which Ymir is all too ready to agree.
- Bertholdt showing some pity for Ymir and Eren's situations, realising how ignorant they are about the origins of their Titan Powers and not being able to bring himself to blame Ymir for the death of his comrade.
- Ymir becoming terrified that Historia will hate her for the choices she's made to keep herself safe, and Historia assuring Ymir that, no matter what she does or whose side she ends up on, she will always be her ally.
- Doubling as a Moment of Awesome, Historia boldly correcting Connie about her name and then tearing Ymir a new one for lying to her once again. Followed up immediately by declaring that from now on, they should live for themselves only and that she will never fear anything as long as they can be together.
- Mikasa smiling and thanking Eren for everything including the scarf that he gave to her while being surrounded by Titans with all hope lost.
- Eren replying that he'll always wrap that scarf around her, promising her that they will make it out of this seemingly hopeless situation alive.
- There's also Ymir, in Titan form, stroking Christa's hair and face as a means of saying goodbye to her, before murmuring "So-rry" to her as she makes to aid the traitors.
- Mikasa clutching onto Eren with all her might as they ride back to Wall Rose. In the manga she is clearly sobbing with unrestrained relief.
- Eren looking to the sky, his heart burdened with loss but still remembering Hannes as he lived and not how he died.
- A couple of extra pages were added to Chapter 50 after it was collected in tankōbon form which show what happened to Reiner, Bertholdt and Ymir after they escaped from the Titan horde which provides a lot of insight into their feelings.
- Reiner tells Ymir that, if she wants to escape now is the time since he and Bertholdt are exhausted. Ymir declines saying that she is too tired and that the two of them will be in trouble if they don't bring someone back with them to their Homeland. It really shows the depths of Reiner's character that he was willing to let his only hostage go in gratitude for her saving them.
- Bertholdt asks Ymir why she came back and saved him when she could have escaped. Ymir admits that, while it may not have been intentional, the two gave her back her life after she ate Marcel and that she owed them. Ymir also admits that she is the only one in the Walls who can understand their pain and vice versa. Bertholdt is clearly touched by this, especially since he voiced doubts about Ymir's trustworthiness earlier in the arc and can only thank her in tears and apologise for what she will have to endure. Ymir tells him not to worry about it and, after raising her hand to the moon, comments that being a goddess isn't so bad after all.
- Didn't think an Opening of AOT could reach almost Tastes Like Diabetes sweet proportions of sheer wholesomeness? Think again. Red Swan knocks it out of the park, alongside a touching montage of our Shiganshina Trio's childhood shenanigans that encapsulates their incredible bond as well as their wanderlust and desire for adventure beyond the Walls. Accompanied with what little good was in Levi's, Erwin's and Historia's early lives. Capped with a still of Carla and Grisha doting over a newborn Eren. And we see our boy the Jaeger-bomb is remembering those halcyon days with steel in his eyes; he's going to take everything back! It ends with the current new page image which is just about the purest illustration of innocence and joy we'll ever see in the Series.
- Now that Historia has dropped her Christa Lenz persona, who will be the Team Mom of the Levi-Squad Reborn? Eren of course! As he takes the lead in cleaning out the cabin. And there is some great subtext here beyond the fan-teasing: "must please Heichou!" of the Ereri shippers. Eren knows that the last big sweep-up operation he was involved in was with his former comrades, killed at Annie's hands, and that any negligence on their part may bring back bad memories for the Captain.
- Armin and Eren fussing over Mikasa as she brings in firewood. With our golden-haired cinnamon-bun imploring Mikasa to rest, as it was only a week or so since she was nearly crushed by a Titan. Eren commiserates with his friend, saying she wouldn't listen to his own insistence that she stay in bed; we can even imagine that she probably showed him she could do sit-ups without pain to get off the hook.
- To which Jean of course rears up at Eren with jealousy and tries to act the White Knight on Mikasa's behalf, but it's all too clear that the two are fast becoming Vitriolic Best Buds, as Jean grows fonder of Armin and in turn, sees more positive traits in Eren, their old rivalry fast becoming a bickering that is more habit than any real malice.
- Armin trailing after Mikasa like a concerned little-brother, saying "she's not a wild animal!" When she idly retorts that she musn't get soft.
- Eren continues utilizing his rediscovered sensitive-side to hear out Connie's grief over his family, turned by the Beast Titan. Then he gets Historia to come out of her depressive shell, admitting that he always found "Christa" to be a bit creepy and unnatural, but he thinks that the real her is a sincere and normal girl who's just "stupidly honest". We can see that Eren is unused to being an emotional sounding-board and his expression as he tries to explain his views to her is almost Adorkable.
- Moblit defending Hange from Djel's snide remarks about the Corps. He may constantly berate her eccentricity but its clear he has a deep reservoir of respect for her.
- Mikasa showing concern for Armin's predicament at the hands of the molester and also asking Levi after the state of his leg.
Eren Jaeger: You sure got preachy after you joined the Survey Corps, didn't you.Jean Kirstein: Huh?! Oh yeah? What about you? You've just turned into an indecisive whiner!Connie Springer: No, Jean, he's right. It really is creepy how serious and responsible you got all of a sudden.Armin Arlelt: You still look like a bad guy though...Jean: Hey, you guys! Don't forget I'm the one who swooped in and saved your precious Mikasa!Eren: Thanks, Jean.Jean: ... Huh?!
- Eren's guilt-ridden but heartfelt apology to Mikasa, at the beginning of Chapter 51 as she's stretchered away, Mikasa plaintively raising a hand, reassuring him that she's fine, telling him he's not at fault; all while Armin silently places a hand on Eren's shoulder, supporting his best friend.
- Connie has collapsed in tears following the horrific mission, and Jean takes a moment to get him back up. It's quick but helps to reinforce how much Jean cares for his teammates.
- Eren calling after the Commander when Erwin finally collapses from blood loss; clearly thinking it was his fault and he continues to note the amount of crippling wounds among the Corps that have returned alive. In quiet agony he asks Jean after the butcher's bill for his rescue. And when he's told we can clearly see that Eren's heart is about to crack from the strain of the onus he bears to honour their sacrifices.
- After Jean gives Eren a small Rousing Speech, we get this great exchange that shows how the team have managed to retain their sanity while being able to banter like only true friends can.
- Hange ensuring that Mrs. Springer, the only survivor of Ragako, is treated well even though she's a Mindless Titan, commanding her subordinates to pull out the stakes they've put in her useless hands and feet.
- Relatively minor, but Hange comforting an obviously rattled Levi after it's revealed Titans may actually be humans with a firm, "Didn't I say that it wasn't confirmed yet?" that goes against everything she had said up to that point. Then, Levi returning the favour in the next chapter when she is noticeably upset about Pastor Nick's death and her part in it, and as a result is too afraid to try anything else, although it's more of a What the Hell, Hero? speech. Point is, it's obviously tailored to her needs at the moment, and at the end he gives her the choice of what they should do next (not to mention he calls her by her name and nothing else throughout the entirety of it, a rarity up to this point in the story).
- Levi stating that he's going to push Eren into "complete desperation" by having all his remaining friends from the 104th become the new Levi Squad. While it's clear that he is placing Eren's age-mates around him to encourage his young charge to fight harder than ever instead of invoke The Chains of Commanding.
- Eren tries to take up arms against the First Interior Squad but his panic over Historia when she's sedated distracts him at a critical moment and he's tranqued as well.
- Mikasa yells Jean's name when she sees he is about to be shot. It's a small but poignant reminder that Mikasa values everyone in her troop outside of Armin and Eren.
- Levi and Sasha saving Jean and Armin respectively from another volley of shots from the First Interior Squad.
- Levi holding a struggling Mikasa back from tearing after Eren, even though he's covered by three fire-arm-totting MPs and being driven away across open fields. Necessitating a tactical retreat in the face of losing more of his team.
- Levi assuring Armin that he did the right thing in saving Jean's life by killing the MP who was about to shoot him, even if it was in cold-blood. At the same time he reminds Jean not to give up on his values. After all, he's telling them what's pragmatic for their survival, not what's right. Even pinning Jean with the Armor-Piercing Question: "were you really wrong?"
- Jean handling the Dirty Old Man for Armin, who previously felt him up him in the last chapter. Later on, we see Jean consoling him after the whole ordeal.
- Sasha glaring at Levi for manhandling Historia, who she's in the process of soothing. Not even his reputation can stop her from showing him what she thinks of his bullying her friend.
- Reeves spoiled son, Flegel, who told humanity's strongest to get him a drink in the most obnoxious way possible, said that he would make Levi airborne with one punch if he ever saw him lay a hand on Historia again. While the outcome of such an action is obvious, the sentiment was very sweet.
- Captain Ackerman calling Levi "his pride". Harsher in Hindsight, but still...
- In the anime. Kenny reveals Levi's Ackerman lineage to right-hand woman, Traute Carven. Stating that he raised him and knows he will come after him again. In his own twisted way, he admires the man Levi has become, if nothing else but for his mirrored level of tenacity.
- Mikasa has reached nearly the end of her tether when Hange tells the group how Eren is going to be dinner for a Titan to gain his powers. As she makes ready to storm out, Levi acts once again as the stern distant cousin he unknowingly is and drills some restraint into her while more or less stating how much he wants to get Eren back as well.
- Erwin's solemn promise to Reeves' wife and daughter that he will bring his murderers to justice.Commander Erwin Smith: In the battle of Trost District, Mr. Reeves delayed the evacuation by trying to bring along all his wealth.Mrs. Reeves: So what?! Are you saying he deserved to die?!Erwin: However... given the current situation with Trost on the verge of collapse... he planted his feet in the city and using any means possible, he aided those with no place to go. While striving to revive his home. Now, someone has quashed those hopes. I promise you... I will avenge him.
- He tries his best to comfort the family because Erwin knows full-well what it's like to lose a family member to the government's Totalitarian regime.
- Hitch turning out to be a warmer person than she initially appeared, being genuinely upset over Annie's disappearance and fighting to save Marlowe rather than running away when she thinks he's in danger.
- Marlowe acknowledging that the Corps have always protected humanity and that he made the wrong choice of division, thinking he could do more good in the MP's by cleaning up the corruption. When he sees that he can play a part in ensuring the canker infecting the government is burnt out, he jumps on it without hesitation.
- Jean, in his own way admitting that Eren's suicidal bravery and idealism is an inherent trait to join the band of misfits that is the Survey Corps.
- Flegel Reeves' declaration to protect the citizens of Trost from retaliation by the Military Police in his father's stead and Hange ruffling his hair in pride.
- Nile proclaiming that he is a human of Wall Rose and refusing point-blank to shut the gates of Stohess when ordered to by the corrupt court officials.
- Levi Squad celebrating their fugitive status being revoked.
- Connie and Armin are even weeping in joy.
- The shots of President Reeves, Flegel, the reporters Roy and Beaure, and everyone else who contributed to the success of the revolution against the corrupt monarchy. It shows that violence and brute force was not the deciding factor at the end of the day; it was those who chose to overcome their fear and complacency and make a difference, even at the cost of their social standing or livelihoods and in the case of Dimo, his life.
- Levi once again apologising to Hange for getting Nifa, Abel and Keiji killed. You can tell he doesn't think too highly of himself, what with wandering the countryside ineffectively and gaining one piece of tangential information on his lineage while Hange helped organise an uprising.
- Zackly acknowledging that Erwin has the most painful duty of them all being on the front lines of the fight while not knowing anything about the true nature of their World. And in his own strange way, laying his soul bare to Erwin when he reveals his less-than-noble motivations for helping the Survey Corps. Finally, he asks Erwin after his own reasons for overthrowing the false monarchy. To which we see that Erwin just wants to prove his father right and gain some measure of closure.
- Freida being the Cool Big Sis to Historia. Teaching her to read and write, taking her on horseback rides, even in one panel in the manga we see from Historia's perspective that she's being flung up in the air by Frieda as a parent would for their infant child!
- Historia guilelessly claiming that if she wants to emulate and be like anyone else, it would be Freida. Causing her half-sister to blush in embarrassed surprise and hug her forcefully. Almost crying that little Historia's already a person others should emulate for her own kindness and purity. Historia doesn't realise her elder sibling's sadness and laughs happily at the affection; causing Freida to giggle along with her and simply share a moment of unvarnished joy.
- Kenny was not killing randomly, but watering the ground with the blood of MPs who were hounding his grandfather for the crime of being an Ackerman. Kenny even tried to track the family line that headed for the mountains near Shiganshina, probably to protect them.
- In a strange way, Kenny (of all people) telling off Rod for being a self-absorbed jerk who doesn't actually give two craps about his own daughter is this. It's clear he even feels bad for Historia since it's obvious to him that her dad is just using her to get what he wants. It's enough to disgust even him.
- Historia being unable to go through with her father's demands because of her care for Eren and Ymir's reminder to live a live she could be proud of.
"Outside The Walls of Orvud"
- This great exchange between Eren and Historia as she tries to unlock his manacles.Eren Jaeger: Forget about me, Historia! Since that Titan's of the Reiss Family, just let him come and eat me! Get out of here!Historia Reiss: Hell no!Eren: Why won't you listen to me?!Historia: I might be humanity's enemy, but I'm your ally, Eren. I can't be a good girl. And I don't want to become God either! But... When I see someone crying, saying... no-one needs them... I want to tell them it's not true! No matter who! No matter where! I'll come to their rescue!
- Mikasa rescuing Historia from hitting the crystal walls when she's blown back by Rod's transformation wind-blast and sharing probably the only girly moment we'll ever have in AOT.
- Jean trying to buoy Eren's shattered confidence in the manga by telling him he's solved plenty of stuff by himself before.
- In the anime, Jean's line is changed to him sternly reminding Eren that they have only come this far by working together and he can cut out the pity-party. Show some remorse, Jean!
- Eren consistently trying to put himself last over the needs of his friends. Its only when Levi quietly reminds him that they may need his power in this situation that he breaks from the depths of despair to try one more time for the sake of his friends before the end.
- Armin reaching out his hand to take Eren's as they clamber out of the caves is really sweet.
- Historia apologising to Eren for her lack of moral scruples when she considered going through with Rod's plan; telling him she was being purely selfish. But she also reassures Eren that his father did what he did for the sake of humanity and to free them from the Will of the First King and that by extension Eren's life is a one-in-a-million chance that must be preserved.
- Conny and Jean trying to stand up for Historia's right to decide whether she has to become queen or not and Historia thanking them gladly before taking up the gauntlet anyway.
"Ruler of the Walls"
- Armin comforting Eren by reminding them that everything has changed since that day. Their collective power can save this city from the fate that befell their own.
- Mikasa almost embracing Eren from behind to stop him from beating himself anymore, while looking guilt-ridden at his tortured emotional state.
- Eren, in part, punching himself not only for his perceived weaknesses but also for his cruel, dismissive attitude towards his two closest friends when they were younger. Hoping that he's got rid of "the brat" that held him back all this time from positive change. Then smiling genuinely for the first time in ages and reaffirming his desire to be Humanity's hope.
- The three children in Orvud District watching Eren's Titan defend them from Rod's monstrous Abnormal.
- Erwin allowing Historia to take part in the battle against her father while joking in his own taciturn way that he's in no condition to stop her.
- The First King's Will has brought nothing but repression and false peace to the People of the Walls but when it is manifest in Uri Reiss, he changes at least one life for the better. He renounces the Royal Family's persecution of the Ackermans, even though he was nearly assassinated by a descendent of that same family.
- Kenny rescuing his orphaned and starving nephew. Making sure he's fed and teaching Levi everything he knows about the only skill he has. How to survive by brutalising your enemies.
- Uri and Kenny's Odd Friendship. In the manga, Sannes notes that the King made the former Ripper his bodyguard; such is the boundlessness of his heart. Uri also reminds Kenny that it was forgiveness that brought them together and Kenny doesn't have the heart to refute his naive hopes for World Peace by saying his respect was only earned by the contrast of such a powerful being showing undue mercy.
- Indeed it went deeper than that. Uri embodied a sense of empathy and compassion that Kenny admired more than anything he had ever witnessed in this cruel world. But he could never quite fathom and reconcile it with the life of violence he had led.
- Kenny's last moments of honesty with Levi, telling him what little he knows and passing on the last thing he has left.
- Eren and the others are shocked that Historia actually goes through with the testing of her queenly prerogative by whacking Levi on the arm, but all of them, Mikasa included, are absolutely floored when Levi reacts to this by smiling and thanking them.
- The reason why he thanks them takes a trip to the Fridge to get, but adds to the moment; Levi is reeling from a particularly heavy revelation about his past, and probably really needed cheering up a bit. Luckily the rest of his Squad are on hand to do just that (albeit unknowingly), possibly by reminding Levi that he's not as alone as he might be thinking at that moment.
- Reiner was willing to stand up to his dreaded superior and fight the Beast Titan one-on-one for the right to switch their objectives and rescue Annie first. All the poor lad wants to do is get her and Bert back to their home safely.
- Historia using the Assembly's seized assets to found an Orphanage of Love that gathers all the lost children from both the Underground City and the far corners of the Walls to give them a better life. We even see the newly crowned queen chasing after two infant rapscallions in a firm but caring manner as they decided to grab some snacks early before dinner.
- Captain Levi supported her on the issue of instituting social care policies for homeless orphaned children; being one himself in the past.
- Eren admitting to Historia that he thinks she's amazing and the queen blushing at his compliment.
- There is something rather heart-warming about how Levi kneels next to Eren while handing him a kerchief after his nose begins bleeding and even in a roundabout way, warns Hange to give Eren a break from all the hardening experiments; as he doubts the amount of mineral he can create is unlimited.
- Grisha earnestly proclaiming that the Survey Corps are the wisest and bravest individuals within the Walls and that men like Keith are chosen by destiny to affect great change.
- Though it was tangentially mentioned back in the very first episode, we finally see why Hannes and all of Shiganshina revered the good Dr. Jaeger. Because he single-handedly cured the residents of a plague similar to sweating sickness.
- Grisha and Carla's marriage. It's clear the two adored each other.
- Carla pleading with Keith to stop his egotistical gallivanting outside Wall Maria and when Keith roars a Motive Rant at her from combat fatigue and despair she calmly reminds him that mankind is special no matter their abilities and that she would never want to foist greatness on her son because in her eyes he's already great. D'aaaw!
- Eren seeing his own insecurity in Keith and asking Hange not to reprimand him for an emotional weakness not so easily overcome.
- The Commandant relays the words Carla last said to him to her son. But Eren had already engraved them to his heart and soul when he was all of one year old! "He was born into this world". The very phrase he says to Dream!Armin when first taking control of his Titan Power and placing humanity's fate on his shoulders. His own will and memories of his father's faith allowed him to first use the power as sword and shield that same day but to master it and build back the gate took the residual, subconscious but unconditional and everlasting love of a mother burgeoning his spirit back into the sky.
- The gorgeous shot of Carla nuzzling her baby boy and putting the Madonna to shame.
- Keith had long realized that he wasn't meant to accomplish anything important. But in a meta sense, he really did — think how different everything would've been if he'd never met Grisha and brought him to the place Carla worked. Keith was the indirect cause for much of the good in this series, that's not too shabby.
- Keith sabotaging Eren's gear, way back in the beginning at boot-camp is a misguided but compassionate gesture, considering that he believed Carla would've wished her son to lead a safer existence.
"Night of the Battle to Retake the Wall"
- He has a funny way of showing it, but Levi makes it very clear that he is deeply concerned for Erwin and wants him to survive.
- Connie snaps Eren out of a flashback by reminding him of all the progress they've made as soldiers in their short time in squad Levi. Eren responds by calling him a genius and giving him a pat on the head.
- The dinner scene, while hilarious, is also rather warm as it's been a long time since everyone could be that relaxed and light-hearted. Even the fight between Eren and Jean is oddly endearing because it comes across as more of a nostalgic squabble rather than antagonism. (Both of them actually smirk a bit before the fight starts as if to say "oh, we're doing this again. Alright, bring it on ya bastard!" and Eren doesn't use any of the dirty tricks he learned from Annie to end the fight, like he did in Season One).
- The episode also makes it even clearer that Levi truly does care for Eren, Mikasa, and Armin. He eavesdrops on them as they reaffirm their dream to see the outside world for themselves.
- His eyes are on them as the push for Shiganshina starts up. The look on his face really sells it; this is a guy who would do just about anything to make these kids' dreams come true.
- When the people of Trost come out to cheer the Survey Corps, the older Corps members don't know how to respond at first; no one has ever cheered for them before. Connie, Sasha, and Jean of all people cheer back, but they're at first looked at as a little unprofessional. And then Erwin Smith, Erwin Smith, smiles for the first non-creepy time in the entire manga and ROARS a cheer back to the people as if he's a fresh new recruit again. It's terribly hard not to get caught up in the moment.
"The Town Where Everything Began"
- Armin and Eren's bromance is out-of-this-world wholesome. With both of them sharing their fears of failing the most vital mission of their lives. Eren even admits that all his strength, all his courage, he can lay at Armin's feet. Because his first and once only childhood friend is the one who has inspired him to seek freedom in the face of his glorious dream of the outside world. The two are soul-mates in every definition of the word.
- "I can do this...! No... We can do this! Because from the moment we were born... There was something special about all of us! We're free!"
- Mikasa almost bridal-carrying Eren out of his ossified Titan and giving Eren her own cloak after his own is disintegrated during his first transformation.
- "Believe in your own power."
- Erwin proudly declaring that Armin's mind is one of their greatest weapons.
- Levi paying back Reiner in retaliation for the first casualty among the Survey Corps. No matter the extent of his prior losses, The Captain will always remain a Father to His Men.
- Mikasa, as ever, being desperate to aid Eren as he wrestles at a disadvantage with Reiner.
- Bertholdt notices Reiner's injured condition. He disobeys direct orders from Zeke, the man who threatened them with being Eaten Alive, and held off transforming to go to Reiner and check on him. He asks Reiner for a sign of movement to say he's alive, and gets it. He holds his hand over Reiner's heart and embraces him while promising to end this mess.
- When Bertholdt nukes the area by transforming into the Colossus Titan, we see Eren, in Titan form, holding Sasha and Connie in his arms, shielding them from the blast, and he makes sure not to move until he's sure the explosion has ended. He almost looks like a parent, hugging his children. He will give everything to protect his comrades.
- Levi's decision. "I'm making the choice." He's come full circle from that day he lost Isabel and Farlan. Now it's he that must drag Erwin from the depths of despair to make one last stand against their enemy.
- Erwin's speech. Full stop. Crossed with awesome and tear-jerker of course.
- "Have I ever lied to you, Eren?" He never has. Except now, at the end, when he promised Eren that he would fall back if things got too dicey. And that they would see the ocean together. But alas...
- Armin's final thoughts about entrusting everything to Eren, even his own life, and their dream to see the ocean will be fulfilled by Eren. Such is his faith.
- "You were always the bravest of us all..."
- Levi is faced with a moral choice: use the Titan Serum on Armin (who's actually Not Quite Dead) or Erwin. He decides to use it on Erwin, but Eren reminds him that he said he would use it on Armin. Levi responds that the serum will be given to the one who will save humanity, obviously meaning Erwin. This prompts Mikasa to pull out her blade, and seems to be seconds away from killing Levi for his callousness. Now there's a true friend. Unfortunately, it actually makes things worse.
- For emphasis on the above scene, Eren doesn't just "remind" him to use the serum on Armin, he immediately appears next to Levi, giving one HELL of Death Glare. He's making it abundantly clear that in his view, letting Armin die is NOT, and never will be, an option.
- And considering who Levi is, and how scared Eren was of him, previously, the fact that he does not back down at all, really shows how much he cares. Especially when, even AFTER Levi backhanded him across the roof, Eren crawls all the way back, and grabs Levi's ankle, speaking of the ocean, and how much Armin wants to see it.
- Props to Levi, though. When Eren first begs him for the serum to save Armin, Levi's actually willing to go through with it, despite desperately wanting to chase down Zeke. He's willing to sacrifice his mission to save what few of his soldiers that he feels has a chance at surviving, as well as respecting Eren wanting to save his friend. He's literally seconds from handing over the serum, before Floch arrives with Erwin that results in the Sadistic Choice.
- Hange holds Mikasa back from attacking Levi and hugs her from behind, sympathizing with her outrage and tells her that she also has people that she wants to bring back from the dead. However, signing up with the Survey Corps means inevitably being separated from the people you love and that no matter what you do, people will end up being killed and die.Hange: I also have people I want to bring back... hundreds.
- Though it's also very sad, Levi choosing to give the Titan serum to Armin and not Erwin, primarily because he knows how tired Erwin has become and doesn't want to force him to continue living as "the Devil" for humanity.
- Erwin's last words to Levi before he charged to his death: "Thank you."
- At the very end, a revived, unconscious Armin emerging from his Titan form is surrounded by his friends, crying their eyes out. It's a pretty fucking powerful way to end what was a roller-coaster of an episode.
- Eren running and hugging Armin after he wakes up, telling him that he's so relieved he's back.
- To add to that, a closer look shows that Eren gave Armin his jacket to wear.
- Levi admitting to Armin that he has a power few in this world can claim and heartedly reaffirming that he will not regret choosing his young subordinate over his beloved commander.
- Levi and Hange have laid Erwin to rest in an abandoned house's bed, covered him with his cape like a funeral shroud and have even placed fresh-picked flowers in a vase on the bedside cabinet in remembrance.
- Mikasa fondly reminiscing about Grisha as she sees the goblet she would bring him, along with a plate of food, in the evenings to take down with him to the cellar.
- Eren and Mikasa open the first of Grisha's diaries in tandem. Ever since the beginning, they will do this together.
- Faye Jeager's cuteness factor in the anime is upped to eleven and it's heart-string wrenching to see the absolute trust and faith she has in her older brother, Grisha. As she allows herself to be innocently lead by the hand even at eight years old. Her Nii-san is obviously her idol.
- Just as Eren's revenge was activated by his mother, Carla's death. So too will Grisha overturn a world-spanning empire to avenge his little sister's gruesome and unfounded murder.
- Grisha standing up for Dina Fritz even after she relays the miserable state of affairs their race is subject to. He proclaims his Undying Loyalty to her branch of the royal family and how they will return the Founder to them to honour their devotion to his people. Dina weeps, overcome and falls into his arms. Smooth... Jaeger-bomb!
- When Eren wakes up screaming from his nightmare, both Armin and Mikasa are immediately there to ask what's wrong. However, take a look at the context. Eren and Mikasa are in two cells, being disciplined for their recent actions against Levi. Armin, who was innocent in the whole affair, is sleeping right outside the cell. In other words, he must have specifically requested that he be allowed to do so, just to be near his friends.
"The Attack Titan"
- After Owl/Kruger saves Grisha from being killed by being fed to a Titan, he promptly destroys the soldiers, their ship, and sits down to explain things to Grisha. As well as tell Grisha his real name. Kruger's first name? Eren.
- Grisha talked a big game, but when it came down to it, unlike both Eren's he could not even hate his sister's murderer when he was being eaten alive. As a doctor, as a man, he believes in the sanctity of life and will not kill except when pushed to the absolute brink... And that eventual breaking-point when he does commit multiple murders likely helped fuel his decision to transfer his powers to Eren from remorse.
- Kruger's magnificent speech: "Our actions will follow us until they are repaid. Unto death, even after death."
- Levi releasing Eren and Mikasa from their cells a few days earlier. Of course, as Levi points out, it would not be right to punish the hero who defeated the Colossus Titan while he and Hange failed to deal with the Armoured and Beast.
"The Other Side of The Walls"
- Historia and Pyxis decide to reveal the truths that were discovered in Grisha's basement to the general public. Since, if they tried to hide it, they would be Not So Different from the corrupt King who erected the Walls in the first place.
- Hange is visiting Roy and Peaure, the two reporters she befriended in the Uprising Arc, to discuss the information found in the basement. Despite the mixed public reception, the news has brought Roy tells Hange that he is proud of her, both as someone who worked with her in the past, as well as a fellow human being. The praise is enough that it makes Hange blush.
- The Survey Corps make it to the ocean! We get a few scenes of the Corps shock and awe at the sight. Sasha, Jean, and Connie even get to play in the water, like ordinary children at the beach. Given the foreboding nature of future events, it's a nice respite for them to be normal.
- A special mention has to be made for the two soldiers guarding the Liberio Internment Zone. Despite being Marleyan, neither of them seem to resent the local Eldians and even have a friendly relationship with Gabi, Falco, Udo, and Sophia.
- Chapter 98 has Reiner buying food for the kids at the festival. For a moment, it looks like he's regretting it, but then he sees how happy they are, actually acting like kids, which makes it all worth it.
- Chapter 100. Eren transforms into a Titan, prompting Reiner to turn around in an attempt to throw himself into Falco's path. The poor guy wants to die more then anything but it shows he stills cares for the lives of others.
- Chapter 101. It turns out that Eren isn't alone, as Mikasa and the Survey Corps are also present to help him fight the Warhammer Titan. Eren is expresses how thankful he is everybody has come to help, while Mikasa asks Eren to come home with them.
- Chapter 104:
- Galliard, upon hearing that both Zeke and Pieck may be dead, has a brief flashback of himself and them enjoying a picnic, showing just how close their friendship and camaraderie was. It's then that Galliard decides to go all out, managing to outmanoeuvre even Mikasa and nearly taking out Eren.
- Falco and Gabi both calling for Reiner to save Galliard is what finally convinces him wake up from his self induced stupor to rescue his comrade.
- Armin being adamant that nobody from the SL be left behind, otherwise the mission might as well be considered a failure.
- Chapter 106:
- Hanji on her own initiative as the new Commander of the Survey Corps took measures to capture all Marleyan Reconnoitres even before Zeke sent his most trusted agent to facilitate communications. And she almost frantically tries to bring them to the diplomacy table despite the horror stories Eren will no doubt have told her about the attitudes' of their enemies.
- Yelena warmly greeting Attack Titan!Eren, saying that she's longed to meet him. It's clear that either her devotion to Zeke carries over to a man who shares his blood or that she holds admiration for one who has beaten back the Warrior's of Marley.
- When Sasha innocently asks why Onyankopon's skin is black, he shares with the team his religious views, saying that the Sky God made the many races of humanity varied in appearance, nature, abilities and temperament for the sake of our differences. He even lauds the unique nature of the people of Ymir! Earnestly saying that their powers are God's Gift and not the Devil's Curse.
- Despite Marley's propaganda about the "Eldian devils," the Eldians of Paradis eventually befriend many of the captured Marleyan soldiers. One of them, Nikolo, is moved when Sasha compliments his cooking, while another one teaches the Eldians about trains.
- After befriending a few Marleyan Soldiers, Armin (and Mikasa), even if it was for a brief moment, show faith that Eldia could make peace with the rest of the world and avoid further bloodshed; it shows that Armin believes there's hope for better future.
- Chapter 107:
- Although Mikasa's mother told her daughter to keep the clan marking completely secret; it's revealed that of course she shared it with Eren when they were children.
- Historia, overjoyed at having the good news of an allied nation, begins to low-key ship Mikasa and Eren, teasing the former on why she showed it to only him in particular. Cue Mikasa blushing as she glances at the young man in question, trying to stutter out an answer to her monarch, but merely managing "uh... that's... um".
- The Queen of the Walls then goes on to joke how she's in the "reliable company" of another burdened with being lost royalty, grinning from ear-to-ear and getting touchy with Mikasa, much to the silent stoic soldier's continued adorable embarrassment. All while Eren smiles softly at the scene...
- After Eren takes the floor to defend Historia from becoming a brood-mother, she can only nearly weep at his concern for her.
- Even though he was a Marleyan soldier, Nikolo comes to pay his respects for Sasha at her grave. This shows how much even a Marleyan could become close to an Eldian.
- Connie thanks Nikolo for cooking for Sasha and comments that Sasha was like his twin, finally stating just how close their bond was.
- In order to honour Sasha, Nikolo offers to cook for her family for free. Mr. Blaus, unlike his fellow countrymen, have no disdain for the Marleyan, is glad to see how many friends Sasha had made over the years and accepts the soldier's offer.
- Chapter 108:
- Mikasa supporting Eren against Connie's understandable mistrust after the Battle for Liberio. Reminding them all that Eren "treasures us... more than anyone else."
- Eren voicing how he must soon decide who to pass on his Power to and the rest of the Squad all take up the mantle gladly, each voicing why the other shouldn't. Mikasa is first to throw herself into the line of fire for him of course, to which Jean and Eren disagree for her sake, then Jean volunteers but Connie won't hear of it and offers himself in turn, Sasha tries to protect him and says she's the most viable candidate and Eren, touched and dismayed by their readiness says he has no intention of letting any of them shorten their life-spans; as they are all too precious to him for him to condemn to his fate and he emotionally wishes them long and fruitful lives.
- To which everyone is struck dumb with "aw shucks!" sheepishness, Eren first of all for his heartfelt confession! Leading to all of the team to descend into shared crimson faces. Mikasa remembers the scene fondly and tells her friends that Eren has only resorted to such extreme measures because he wants to ensure their safety.
- Jean rightly points out that he wouldn't have risked their lives by forcing them into battle if he still cared for them that much; as he never sought to put them in harm's way in the past. And Mikasa, although shaken by Eren's change in character, denies it by insisting it must have been because he had faith in their abilities.
- When Connie is about to tell Mikasa and Armin how Eren reacted to Sasha's death, Jean half-heartedly tells him to stop. Not wishing to disturb Eren's closest friends any further.
- Despite Armin voicing the worst-case scenario to forcibly transfer Eren's Titans to a trusted individual if he wants to go World-breaker, he also announces that he and Mikasa just need to talk to him and ascertain his intentions. Then they can convince the military that Eren is still on their side, just like old times.
- Reiner trying to convince Magath of the need for a lightning-assault on Paradis before Zeke can put his master plan into action. We know it is really for the sake of rescuing Gabi and Falco that he wishes to return to Paradis.
- Chapter 109:
- Mr Blaus and his wife have taken in four orphans at his horse ranch and he doesn't hesitate to take in two more when Falco and Gabi have nowhere to go.
- Floch, Louise, Holger and Wim, firebrand members of the Survey Corps all stand up for Eren and demand his freedom. Even leaking Intel of his imprisonment to the public. Though next chapter makes their concern much darker; they think Eren is Eldia's messiah.
- Louise is the girl Mikasa saved and saluted to all those years ago in Trost. She earnestly claims that she joined the Corps just to be close to her idol.
- Falco and Kaya both commiserating with each other about the violence that has befallen either side of the Marley - Eldia conflict and Kaya proclaiming how she will emulate her own rescuer and show them safely to a Marleyan defector. Unfortunately, that Marleyan defector is likely a cook who had an unknown level of emotional attachment to Sasha...
- Chapter 112:
- Armin attempting to punch Eren after he told Mikasa he hated her, which made her cry. While it's heartbreaking to see the Shiganshina Trio falling apart, Armin doesn't hesitate to stand up for Mikasa. He's come a long way from being the shy bullied boy at the start of the series. When Eren continues to belittle Mikasa, Armin is finally able to land a punch on him. Unfortunately Armin gets beaten up in response, but he did try.
- Chapter 114:
- Tom basically becoming Zeke's surrogate father figure, teaching him everything he knows and treating him like his son ever since his biological son was killed due to Pater Familicide committed by his wife. As for Zeke, it's clearly obvious that he adores the old man back, starting from wearing the same pair of glasses on his adulthood.
- Chapter 117:
Zeke Jaeger: You heroically withstood them all by yourself, Eren. Now leave the rest... To your big brother!
- After rescuing Gabi, Magath immediately scolds her but is ultimately glad she is safe. Also, his next immediate worry is about Falco's whereabouts, showing he is truly A Father to His Men.
- Zeke riding in to save the day and defend Eren against his former comrades. The man has committed atrocities but the only family he swore to never abandon, but one day come and save, is his brother from another mother! And now he keeps that promise he made five years ago in that same city.
- Chapter 118:
This is not a place for children. Go back home.
- Onyankopon risking his life to free Eren's friends. He truly wasn't aware of the wine and the euthanasia plan, and truly believed that Zeke and Yelena wanted to turn Paradis into a self sufficient nation capable of resisting Marley. He is genuinely emotionally distraught at Zeke and Yelena's betrayal of their original purpose.
- Armin still not losing his faith in Eren when everybody else does, deducing that Eren is only putting up a Jerkass Façade to protect them all from Zeke and Yelena.
- Gabi and Colt proceeding the Paradis army headquarters alone in order to rescue Falco, no matter how small the chance.
- Niles goes out of his way to make sure Falco escapes Paradis custody, even so far as risking getting himself shot by Colt as he passes Falco over to him.
- Despite both Falco and Gabi being outed as Marleyans, Mrs. Braus is still concerned about their safety, while Mr. Braus is confident that they are both fine.
- Gabi finally understands Reiner's trauma, realizing just like him that Eldians and humans are Not So Different.
- Falco finally gains the courage to admit his feelings to Gabi, telling her he wanted to become the Armored Titan in order to spare her from a reduced lifespan and his intention to marry her.