Highly popular voice actor known for his high, effeminate voice, Richard Steven Horvitz, born on July 29, 1966, is usually type casted as very crazy and dimwitted characters who tend to do a lot of screaming. If they're small, nasal, manic, and slightly hammy, there's a good chance Richard Horvitz is involved somewhere.
His best known works include the voice of the original Alpha 5 in Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Power Rangers Zeo, and Power Rangers Turbo, Raz in Psychonauts, Billy in The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Daggett in The Angry Beavers, Kaos in Skylanders, the Berserker in The Darkness video game, the title character Zim from the show Invader Zim, Rodney J. Squirrel in Squirrel Boy, and as Orthopox in the Destroy All Humans! series. He was also Alan Eakin in the obscure Carl Reiner film Summer School, one of his first (and few) on-camera performance.
Notable roles include:
- Daggett in The Angry Beavers
- Rodney J. Squirrel in Squirrel Boy
- Billy and his father Harold in The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
- Zim in Invader Zim
- Aviarious in Kim Possible
- Grey Matter, Sublimino, Additional Voices from Ben10
- Theodor in Totally Spies!
- Crayon Boy in Codename: Kids Next Door
- Jimmy Osgood in Static Shock
- Mixadel, Scrud, Splasho, Freezi-Breezi, and Boopsie the Mixie Cat in Mixels
- Kaos in Skylanders Academy (Role Reprisal from the games below)
Live Action TV
- Alpha 5 in Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Power Rangers Zeo, and Power Rangers Turbo, as well as Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie
- Datascammer in Power Rangers in Space
- Smogger in Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue
- Mantamobile in Power Rangers Time Force
- Alpha 7 in Power Rangers Wild Force
- Sherry the Fairy in The Adventures of Timmy the Tooth
- Minotaurbot's second voice in VR Troopers
- Raz in Psychonauts
- The Berserker in The Darkness
- Orthopox in the Destroy All Humans! series
- Rumble, Ziggs and Heimerdingernote from League of Legends
- The Kabbage Boy Guitarist, Jack the Lift-Op, various voices in Brütal Legend
- PMCSoldiers in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
- Fel Imp (Warlock minion), Saboteur Kip'tilak, Kaz'tik the Manipulator in World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria
- the Slipskull Chimera in Resistance
- Kaos in the Skylanders series
- Space Weaver in Broken Age
Tropes associated with Richard Steven Horvitz
- Ax-Crazy: Several of his characters, most notably Zim.
- Large Ham: About 80% of his characters tend to eat the sets.
- Man of a Thousand Voices: Despite his pigeonhole in terms of roles, Richard does have a moderately good vocal range. Case in Point: Compare Rumble/(new) Heimerdinger or the PMC Soldiers to any of his other roles.
- No Indoor Voice: Many, many, many of his characters, Zim however was apparently the hardest/worst one because of this. This was best illustrated at a convention appearance in which he and other notable voice actors did a live reading of the script of The Avengers.Quinton Flynn: (as Raiden) You don't have to yell.
Horvitz: (as Zim) HAVE YOU NOT SEEN MY SHOW?!
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: Mostly plays very crazy and dimwitted characters who tend to do a lot of screaming or are considered very obnoxious.
- Vocal Dissonance: He's actually made jokes about the fact that telemarketers who have called him have mistaken him for his wife.