Djimon Gaston Hounsou (born April 24, 1964) is a Beninese-American actor and model.
He's been acting in films and TV series since 1990, and gained recognition with his role of Joseph Cinqué in Amistad (1997). He's been nominated twice at the Academy Awards, for Best Supporting Actor.
- Stargate as Horus
- Amistad as Joseph Cinqué
- ER as Mobalage Ikabo
- Gladiator as Juba
- In America as Mateo
- Lara Croft: Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life as Kosa
- Alias as Kazari Bomani
- Constantine as Papa Midnite
- The Island as Albert Laurent
- Elephant White as Curtie Church
- Blood Diamond as Solomon Vandy
- Eragon as Ajihad
- Never Back Down as Jean Roqua
- Push as Henry Carver
- The Tempest as Caliban
- Black Panther (animated series) as T'Challa/Black Panther
- Marvel Cinematic Universe as Korath the Pursuer
- How to Train Your Dragon 2 as Drago Bludvist
- Furious 7
- The Legend of Tarzan as Chief Mbonga
- Dc Extended Universe
- The King's Man
Tropes associated with this actor's works:
- Bald of Awesome: Not sure how long he's sporting it though.
- Black Best Friend: His roles always tend to be The Lancer.
- Deuteragonist: He's usually cast as the secondary focus of the story, and as mentioned throughout this article, he's almost always The Lancer.
- Large Ham: The man will chew the scenery if it needs him to.
- Mr. Fanservice: He's a fashion model, after all.
- Scary Black Man: Averted for the most part, as his roles tend to be friendly/helpful lancers, though ones you shouldn't piss off.
- So My Kids Can Watch: He took up the role of Korath the Pursuer in Guardians of the Galaxy because, "I have a four-year old son who loves superheroes from Spider-Man to Iron Man to Batman. He's got all the costumes."
- Star-Making Role:
- His first real taste of success was actually in a rather small but memorable role, playing the Arms Dealer Bomani in a few episodes of Alias. Since then, he's been landing increasingly successful and larger roles to this day.
- Invoked as Juba in Gladiator, though he first made an impression with critics as Cinque in Amistad.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: He's 6'2".
- What Could Have Been: He was supposed to play Black Panther in a sequel to the 2005 Fantastic Four movie, but Rise of the Silver Surfer wasn't deemed successful enough to warrant more movies. He still got to voice him in the animated series.