open/close all folders
Voiced by: Kenjiro Tsuda (JP), David Matranga (EN)A veteran plainclothes detective in the STMP, he's the one assigned to babysit the important new arrival from behind the Gate and isn't too pleased, especially given that he's just lost his longtime partner to some thugs.
- Always Accurate Attack: Due to his long attachment to his faithful P226R, it's gathered enough latena to auto-aim his shoots if he's slightly off the mark while aiming for a specific target in mind.
- Badges and Dog Tags: The light novels imply that he was a former Marine who had combat experience in Semania.
- But Not Too Foreign: He's a Japanese American.
- Cowboy Cop: Largely averted. Kei would like to throw the regs out of the window to get his revenge for Rick, and he does bend them quite a bit, but in the end he's far more of the By-the-Book Cop.
- Deadpan Snarker: The air of sarcasm around him is thick enough to be cut with a knife.
- Fantastic Racism: Downplayed, but he doesn't like those pesky otherworlders due to his experiences in the war, but he doesn'tlet it rule his actions and his time with Tilarna helps him largely get over it.
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: Inverted. Kei relies on guns while Tilarna uses a sword. Then played straight in the final battle with Zelada, as Tilarna shoots Zelada and Kei uses Tilarna's sword to behead him.
- Hero of Another Story: Was involved in military ops in Semanian territory when he was with the Marine Corps.
- Just for Pun: Kei has a rather questionable grasp on Semanian, so only by the end of the second episode he figures that "Kaye Imatuba", the way his new partner was mangling his name all that time, means "scary kitty".
- Lead Police Detective: A veteran plainclothes detective who's been on the force for a long time, and is known to get results, even if he bends the regs quite a bit.
- Old Cop, Young Cop: Kei is a Detective Sergeantnote and is in mid-thirties, while Tilarna is eighteen in Earth years and still quite inexperienced in an actual police work.
- One-Man Army: In the climax, after killing Ronald Chan, he completely mops the floor with Zelada's puppets using only a single handgun, despite having been tortured earlier.
- Weapon of Choice: Packs a SIG-Sauer P226R as his sidearm. When the situation gets bad, he has a Remington Model 870 with an extended barrel and saddle installed on the stock for additional shells.
Voiced by: Mayu Yoshioka (JP), Felecia Angelle (EN)The very liaison from the other world Kei was assigned to work with, a somewhat young and inexperienced Knight sent to rescue a kidnapped fairy.
- Action Girl: She's a Magic Knight from Semania to track down a missing fairy.
- Character Development: Parts of the series contribute to Tilarnia's character from looking down on humans to actually understanding the fears of living with Semanians in San Teresa and making the decision to stay put and work with law enforcement to police San Teresa and apprehend anyone trying to commit crimes, especially anti-Semanian racist activities.
- Deadpan Snarker: Of no less proportions than Kei himself, making for a lot of Snark-to-Snark Combat.
- Dirty Harriet: Tilarna is sent to infiltrate a "dating club" in episode 7 and winds up being paired with an up-and-coming politician. She is less than pleased at how long the other cops take to bust in.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: Sings the ending theme, "Connected". For bonus points, the ending sequence outright shows her singing.
- Drives Like Crazy: destroying two of Kei's cars in a span of couple of days. She even considers it to be something of a high.
- Fish out of Water: Tilarna has never been on Earth, so she gets constantly curious about all sorts of things, like elevators and cars.
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: Inverted. Tilarna uses a sword while Kei uses guns. Later played straight in the final battle with Zelada, as Tilarna uses Kei's gun to shoot Zelada and Kei uses Tilarna's sword to decapitate him.
- Mystical White Hair: Tilarna has pale purple hair, and is one skilled Magic Knight.
- Occult Detective: A bit, being a Magic Knight and encountering a lot of magic-based crime, even if she's a bit new to the whole "Detective" thing.
- Old Cop, Young Cop: The inexperienced rookie to Kei's Inspector.
- Older Than They Look: Tilarna looks twelve, but is actually eighteen or even 26 (in Semanian years).
- Spell My Name with an "S": So it's Tirana, like the Japanese actors pronounce it, or Tilarna, as in the official romanisation?
- Strong Girl, Smart Guy: Not that Kei's useless in the fights, but being an experienced officer he normally acts cautious and tries to follow the regulations, while Tilarna is still more of a knight rather than the cop, and tends to rush into a fights as if they were a battle. Which frequently gets them yelled at by Da Chief.
- Tsundere: Of the haughty and snarky type, but still with a huge soft spot for Kei, as her talk with Cecil demonsrates.
- Well, Excuse Me, Princess!: Has shades of this, given that she is an actual aristocrat.
San Teresa Metropolitan Police
Voiced by: Yuuki Sanpei (JP), Chris Burnett (EN)The very same partner that Kei lost in the very first episode. Not much is known about him except that he had a family and was Kei's old friend.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Doesn't have much details except that he's working with the STMP for a long time.
Voiced by: Satoshi Tsuruoka (JP), Jacob Browning (EN)A quiet and unassuming detective in the Special Vice squad who often works with Kei.
- The Big Guy: When his size is needed to make someone talk, the STMP gets to call him in.
- Gentle Giant: Rather calm and quiet guy, who prefers Tony to be speaking.
Voiced by: Ryousuke Takahashi (JP), Anthony Bowling (EN)Godunov's partner and another detective frequently working with Kei.
- Alter Ego: McCloud, a Macho Camp guy who acts all tough and streetwise which is rather unlike Tony's normal persona, whic is why he hates acting out this role.
- Camp Gay: One of the fruitiest guys around, and certainly on the force.
Voiced by: Mai Nakahara (JP), Jamie Marchi (EN)One of the two female officers in the Vice Squad.
- Action Girl: Jamie gets in the action, seen backing up Kei and the others in undercover cases.
Voiced by: Marina Inoue (JP), Monica Rial (EN)The second female officer in the Vice Squad.
- Action Girl: Cameron gets in the action, seen backing up Kei and the others in undercover cases.
Voiced by: Kenji Hamada (JP), Andy Mullins (EN)Kei and Rick's department chief who oversaw the kidnapped fairy case.
- Da Chief: For the first arc.
- The Mole: Works with Zelada to start a racial war between Earth and Semania due to fears that illegal immigrants from the latter will outnumber Earth's natives.
Voiced by: Shinpachi Tsuji (JP), Gabe Kunda (EN)The new chief after Roth was removed.
- Badges and Dog Tags: Used to be with the USMC prior to being a police officer.
- Bald, Black Leader Guy: Well, balding.
- Da Chief: The second chief Kei and Tilarnia work under.
- A Father to His Men: Up to throwing weekend parties for his department at his home.
- Hot Blooded Sideburns: Wears Seventies-style facial hair and is quite a Large Ham.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He gets reallty insightful quite regularly, and stands by his people.
Voiced by: Fumiko Orikasa (JP), Apphia Yu (EN)STMP chief medical examiner and Kei's ex-girlfriend.
- Amicable Exes: In fact, still has feelings for Kei.
- Cop and Scientist: Has this dynamic with Kei, their being a Workplace Romance.
- The Coroner: Her actual position.
- Hot Scientist: Quite easy on the eyes, which brings her a solid share of her own admirers. Kei even jokes that her grumpy assistant actually has a crush on her.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Cecil is in her thirties, just as Kei, thus easily being twice Tilarna's age.
- Odd Friendship: Hits it off with Tilarna almost immediately, largely on the grounds of being exasperated with Kei.
Voiced by: Masaya Matsukaze (JP), Kyle Igneczi (EN)The antagonist of the first arc, a Semanian thug and Zelada's partner.
- Cop Killer: Indirectly used a fairy bomb to turn a couple of STMP uniformed officers into body puppets and had them killed on command.
- Starter Villain: For both Kei, Tilarnia and the STMP in policing San Teresa.
- Villain with Good Publicity: He's a Semanian known to own one of San Teresa's nightclubs.
Voiced by: Hochu Otsuka (JP), Barry Yandell (EN)An evil Semanian wizard who uses magic for sowing crime and chaos around. Implied to become a regular antagonist.
- Big Bad: The closest thing to one, anyway.
- Hero Killer: Responsible for killing most of Matoba's squad members during a military op conducted in Semania.
- Never Found the Body: The STMP never closed the case on Zelada after the fairy dust bombing attempt since he was mortally wounded, but officers never found him. Episode 11 shows he survived.
- Off with His Head!: After being shot several times by Tilarnia, Kei finishes him off by decapitating him.
- Spell My Name with an "S": In Japanese, he's known as Zerada.
- This Cannot Be!: When he's finally defeated.
Voiced by: Takuya Sato (JP), Jeremy Inman (EN)A corrupt FBI Agent who has allied himself with Zelada.