You hate him. But oh my God he just looks oh-so hot. He makes fun of you, is an absolute jerk and there is no one else on the planet you hate more. But still, he looks gorgeous... doesn't he? But no! You hate him despite all that hotness because he hates you too... or does he? And there you have the Handsome Devil. The guy you love to hate or hate to love. Sometimes, it's even both. The Handsome Devil is often someone the main character hates for his or her own reasons. Every other girl is often in love with him. Symptoms of being a handsome devil include being good-looking, rich and a jerk. Often a playboy. May or may not have a relationship gone wrong with the protagonist's best friend. Similar but not the same with All Girls Want Bad Boys. This one is about the fine line between love and hate. All Girls Want Bad Boys often has main protagonists who just like bad boys. May be The Casanova. Compare with Love at First Punch. A more fetishized and kinky version is the Bastard Boyfriend. Contrast Creepy Good, which is an inversion. Not to be confused with a literally handsome devil or "everybody’s favorite psychedelic-rockabilly-jazz-R&B-blues-surf band" That Handsome Devil. Compare Foe Yay, Magnificent Bastard and Draco in Leather Pants.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Dragon Ball Z: Vegeta to Bulma, full stop. The story, being an action comic, skips their romance and gets straight to their Messianic son, but that only fueled a million fangirls worldwide to write fanfics of "the three lost years."
- More than one shoujo and/or Josei romance manga has a handsome asshole as the lead male. Most notable are:
- Kyo Koi O Hajimemasu has Kyouta, who is this to a T, at least for a while, anyway.
- Moe Kare has the Perverted Prince aka Arata.
- Shou from Skip Beat! is an unusual example for shojo because the heroine dumps him in the first chapter and he ends up as her main rival rather than her love interest.
- Ryoki from Hot Gimmick.
- Takeru from Akuma de Sourou.
- Any lead by Mayu Shinjo, with Hakuron from Haou Airen as the biggest example.
- Many stories on Fictionpress follow this trope.
- While Seto Kaiba is not an example of this in canon, any romance-oriented fanfic he appears in will turn him into this.
- In Some Semblance of Meaning, a fanfiction about the 44th Hunger Games, Vale hates Obsidian (even past the point of rational hatred) and is under the impression that he hates her and any niceness he displays is only mockery, but even so, the narration (which is in third-person but still generally follows her) points out that he is good-looking on multiple occasions. And naturally, she does eventually fall for him, and vice versa. Although—again, this being the Hunger Games, it doesn't end well.
- Keifer Porter from A Brother's Price. A jerk, but everyone agrees that he was very pretty.
- Mr. Darcy in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice seems like this to Elizabeth Bennett at first.
- Handsome Devil. Synonyms: Ian Kabra.
- Irial from Wicked Lovely. Hottest Dark King ever.
- James Steerforth from David Copperfield.
- Duke Crocker of Haven. The fact that he's a Magnificent Bastard makes him even more irresistible.
- The synopsis of Taiwanese drama, Devil Beside You pretty much fits this trope exactly.
- It was actually based on Akuma de Sorou, already mentioned in the manga section.
- Henry from Frenemies.
- You could probably stick Chad Dylan Cooper from Sonny with a Chance on this page as the trope picture.
- Gossip Girl: Chuck Bass.
- Once Upon a Time: Captain Hook literally calls himself "devilishly handsome"
- The Mentalist himself is a little like this, although he's a pretty benevolent version.
- Goo Jun Pyo, the leader of F-4 from the Korean Series Boys Before Flowers. Then again, he is based on Tsukasa from Hana Yori Dango.
- Xena: Warrior Princess: Ares is officially the sexiest, baddest God of War ever.
- The Vampire Diaries: Damon Salvatore.
- Invoked in a Cheer Up, Charlie Daniels song.
- "They say that he ain't got a soul/ He'll make your knees lose full control"
- Has no Connection to That Handsome Devil
- Though arguably does to Godforbid and every girl he's ever spoken to, ever. See Dating Tips.
- The Smiths actually did a song called "Handsome Devil"
- After abusing plastic surgery, Peter Griffin of Family Guy becomes an even huger jerkass than he already was, and Lois was willing to accommodate him (at least initially) because he was so attractive.
- Justin is a subversion. He was set up as a handsome devil in the beginning of Total Drama Action, but eventually got reduced to a mere Mr. Fanservice due to his lack of talent, brains, or genuine cruelty. In fact, later episodes suggest that Justin has befriended some of the other contestants (both male and female) for real, without any manipulative or jerkish behavior present whatsoever.