Kor Meteor / Shing Meteorite
"If an adult has to hurt someone, even to save the world... I'll just be a kid!"
A young boy who wants to either save the world, become a grown-up or help Kohaku, depending on his mood. He has a very powerful sense of empathy which allows him to connect with just about anyone, both literally (via Soma Link) and metaphorically. Despite this, he can be quite a clueless dork in some cases, such as Beryl's flirting.
He uses the Soma Asteria
, a sword-and-shield combo, and his favored elements are Light
. He mainly uses sword techniques, and is one of two party members without inherent spells.
"I believe you. A bad person couldn't use a Soma anyway."
A girl on the run from a mysterious and powerful sorceress. Her Spirune — the core of her Spiria — is shattered early in the game, reducing her to an emotionless doll. The first act of the game revolves around the party's quest to restore her to normal by traveling the world and finding the missing pieces of her Spirune. She is kind and energetic, but a little clumsy with people.
Her Soma, Rondeau
, is composed of an anklet and a flaming baton. She fights using martial arts, combining baton strikes with kickboxing. She also possesses several elemental (primarily fire
) and healing spells.
"Yeah, I'm scared all right, but not of you. I'm scared that my sister and all these monkeys with me are gonna get hurt."
Kohaku's older brother and hot-blooded antithesis. He's fiercely protective of his sister because they lost their mother at a young age. Late in the game, he strikes up a relationship with Lithia Spodumene.
His Soma is Gale Arc
, a wind-elemental double-bowgun bequeathed by Ines. He is also the primary healer of the party, combining healing techs with powerful projectile attacks.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: He refuses to believe the existence of "fairy tale creatures" like the Xerom until he Soma Links for the first time and sees them with his own eyes. He also doesn't believe that his sister has a voice in her head telling her things.
- Berserk Button: Don't suggest you've been looking at Kohaku's legs. Or remind him that Kor may one day become his brother-in-law.
- Blow You Away: His main element, attribute-wise.
- Butt Monkey: Tied with Kor and Beryl for being the butt of jokes. He's had it rough in the two skits about his Soma, where everyone in the party shoots his own Soma at him to see what would come out.
- Character Development: Starts off very hot-headed and brash but mellows out into a mature young man in the second half of the game, thanks to Lithia. He still has some hot-blooded moments still after.
- Combat Medic: One of the rare male main healers in the Tales series. Combines long-range arrow artes with wind spells and area-wide healing. His brash behavior is the exact opposite of what you'd expect from a healer. He's a healer who can blow you away if given the opportunity.
- Dub Name Change: Same like Kohaku, he's called Jadeite in Graces ƒ.
- Elemental Powers: Ice, water, and plenty of wind.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Averted. He puts his googles on during combat, which makes perfect sense considering all those wind techs he's throwing around.
- Hot-Blooded: The greatest source of fiery energy in the team.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He makes no excuses of berating everyone, especially Kor, but he also lets out some soft sides. Especially on Lithia.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: He's actually a dog lover, as revealed in a skit, but a side quest centered on him made him wear cat ears and cat paws in order to please Lithia, who loves cats but is allergic to them.
- Knight Templar Big Brother: He really is overprotective on Kohaku, repeatedly beating Kor and on one instance threatening to kill him.
- May-December Romance: Lithia is well beyond his age, but he doesn't care.
- Missing Mother: His and Kohaku's mother passed away long ago.
- The Lancer: His down-to-earth, no-nonsense attitude clashes with Kor's idealistic approach, but he mellows out.
- Nephewism: His mother died right after giving birth to Kohaku, leaving him and his sister to be raised by their aunt.
- Power Gives You Wings: His Mystic Arte in Hearts R.
- Rain of Arrows
- Technicolor Eyes: Lavender, just like Kohaku's.
- Trademark Favorite Food: He likes his aunt's Mabo Curry.
- Tsundere: A rough Type A to anyone who does as much as get too close to Kohaku, particularly Kor.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: His relationship with Kor starts off antagonistic, becomes reluctantly civil and finally culminates in this.
- Why Did It Have To Be Water?: He can't swim and gets nauseous on boats.
- Would Hit a Girl: Has hit Beryl on more than one occasion.
"My painting isn't about "adventures" or "heroes" any more. It's about "things you can't fight". Shing, you're perfect for it!"
A childlike girl whose ambition is to become an Imperial Painter. She's eighteen years old, but looks and acts a lot younger, frequently slurring long words and using her immaturity to get her own way.
Her Soma, Terracotta
, is a hat-and-paintbrush set. She mainly casts earth and water-elemental spells, and also wields supportive magic.
- Black Mage: Subverted. Covers the widest selection of elemental spells (see Elemental Powers below) and has the highest Will in the party, but she also learns an assortment of status-boosting spells.
- Broken Pedestal: Her great admiration and enthusiasm for the world-renowned artist Sumisona is shattered when she learns he faked his own blindness to escape the stress fame brought him.
- Butt Monkey: The game loves throwing random things at her. Oh, so you won a bunch of money by gambling on the most unlikely outcome and wanted to buy a paintbrush? Sorry, it just so happens we need a bed for Kohaku and the only available one is an incredibly expensive suite. And then there's the part where everyone is jumping down the city walls, only to land on her one by one... Not to mention her wanting to sketch Kohaku AND Ines, IN THE NUDE...
- The Cameo: She appears as a plushie in Katz Korner in Graces.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: "WHY IS EVERYONE ALWAYS PINNED ON KOHAKU!?" She got better.
- Cute Witch: Even if she isn't a witch, she certainly projects this image.
- Elemental Powers: Has the greatest selection of elements since she's the only party member that's highly magic-oriented. Said elements include ice, water, darkness, earth and lightning. Wind, light and fire are left to the rest of the magic knights. Her Meteoric Rise is Non-Elemental.
- The Gadfly: Beryl may be the world's joke, but she loooves teasing people when she can, especially a certain pair of lovestruck main characters.
- Gratuitous English: Her physical Artes combine this with Japanese onomatopoeia.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Can't admit it until they return to her hometown. She always wanted people to approach her because of who she was, and not because her grandfather is the greatest painter in history. From that point, she and Kohaku become inseparable.
- Improbable Weapon User: Her weapon is a paintbrush.
- Nice Hat
- Older Than They Look: She's actually 18.
- Squishy Wizard: She's a great spellcaster, but has the defense of a paper bag.
- Token Mini-Moe: Teased by Kunzite for this. When asked whether he is into "lolis", he makes a pun about being "lonely" and suggests "loli" is a far more apt characterization for Beryl. Beryl protests she's way beyond that age.
- Tsundere: She keeps finding excuses about why she's helping everyone until her Character Development kicks in.
- Youthful Freckles: Hardly visible, but they're there.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A
Ines Lorenzen / Ines Lorenz
"An adult is someone who does what's necessary, even if it hurts."
The beautiful manager of the the traveling Soma shop "Every Day is a Peaceful Day"/"Wanderlust". She has superhuman strength and several contacts as shifty as she is. She is (mostly) composed and graceful, and often ends her sentences with "I wonder?" ("~kashira?").
Her Soma, Folseus
, is a pair of greaves and a huge axe-like blade. Her element is water, but she has few techniques that utilize it, choosing to instead specialize in artes that enhance her abilities and deliver powerful blows to the enemy.
"Now requesting... negative. Please, I ask of you... everyone, in order to protect Master Richea, please lend me your power!"
ID Code IS206-mark-11 Jack-type Mechanoid, and Guardian Knight to Lithia Spodumene. He insists that his only motivation is to serve his master, but many times he shows a hot-blooded or kind side of his personality, especially when dealing with Richea or Kohaku. As he gradually realizes his own nature, he gains titles to match, starting from "Cold-blooded Mechanoid" and ending with "Like Human".
His Soma, Vex
, incorporates katars on his arms and extra blade arms mounted on his back. He also uses offensive dark and wind type magic and can cast debilitating spells.
- Become a Real Boy: His final reaction
- Big Sleep: In order to protect Lithia from dying, he lets her sleep in his Spiria, which will make him permanently fall asleep as well.
- Declaration of Protection: Towards Lithia, his one and only master.
- Do-Anything Robot: His functions include battle capabilities, a power scanner, navigation, a hair salon, the ability to measure a person from a distance, a massage session and the ability to hear Lithia's conversations when she's within reach.
- Elemental Powers
- Heroic Sacrifice: At the end of the game he chooses to enter a permanent state of hibernation so that the dying Richea can live on in his Spiria.
- Knight Templar: At first, which caused him to fight the party after temporarily joining them. Then he got better.
- Never Tell Me the Odds: Spoken before the final battle.
- Not So Stoic: Kunzite has a few hotblooded scenes, which the other characters take note of. And when you encounter Lithia Cattleya, an ancient Xerom who wants to become Lithia, the poor robot nearly explodes. "Never before have I felt such anger!"
- Power Level: Can scan'em.
- Power Perversion Potential: He can hear Lithia's conversations from a distance. Hisui and Kor make use of it in the hot springs. Pain ensues.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: First playable one in the Tales Series. However, he turns out to be the least human compared to the rest of mechanoids.
- Spock Speak
- The Sixth Ranger: Can also double up as The Smart Guy due to his sensors.
- Supreme Chef: Has been one ever since he began serving Lithia. His food is simply superb, even more so when he learns the Peach Pie recipe from Beryl's grandmother.
- Tin Man: His first reactions
- You Shall Not Pass: Chooses to take on both all of Creed's minions at once to give a chance for the rest to escape.
Chalcedony Arcome / Chalcedony Akerman
"If you would bear the weight of the world on your shoulders, I will hold you up."
Captain of the Valeia Church Crystal Knights 13th Unit, also called the Chalcedony Squad. He begins as a Crystal Knight who wants to capture Kohaku's Spiria under the orders of his father, one of the people who fought Creed seventeen years before the game began.
His Soma, Wahrheit
, is a breastplate that produces large wings as well as a BFS
. It was formerly used by Iola Hearts, mother of Hisui and Kohaku.
He is promoted to playable party member in Hearts R
- The Ace
- Affectionate Nickname: Is called "Chal" by Paraiba and, eventually, Shing.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: In front of Marine while she's turned into the Lonely Veronica Zerom. He finally gets the guts to admit it after seeing her repeatedly angst over his lack of any non-formal communication with her.
- Badass: He takes on TWO Incaroses. Bonus points in R where it becomes a solo boss battle. Possibly the most badass party member in R.
- Berserk Button: Or rage switch, as Peridot calls it. Imply he's not giving his full for his favourite lady, and...
Shing: If an "adult" would sacrifice someone's life to save the world, I'm okay with being a "child". A guy who can't even bring back the smile of the girl before him can never save the world!
Chalcedony: The smile of the girl before him... huh... Peridot, Pyrox. Stay your hands.
Peridot: Uh oh, looks like he got a bulls-eye on the Captain's anger switch.
- Big, Thin, Short Trio: Pyrox is the Big, Chalcedny is the Thin, and Peridot is the Short.
- Break the Haughty: He starts off calling Shing a powerless boy and completely ignoring his plea for Kohaku's Spiria Core. He then proceeds to play puppet in the power struggles between the church and the army, only to be branded a criminal and hurt Marine. It takes him down a notch.
- Combat Medic: Gains the same selection of healing spells as Kohaku, but not as powerful as Hisui's.
- Dub Name Change: His last name is changed to "Akerman" in the localized version of R.
- Heroic Sacrifice:Chalcedony doesn't die, but his body is incapacitated. Averted in R where he joins the party.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: In a skit, he was arguing with Hisui and Kunzite over pet choices. He prefers cats.
- Knight In Shining Armour: Despite his arrogance, he genuinely believes he's doing the best for the world. And he specifically became a Crystal Knight for his beloved Marine.
- Last Name Basis: He specifically calls Shing by his last name because he doesn't consider him a friend, but once they actually connect, he finally lets loose.
- Leeroy Jenkins: He is usually level-headed and tries to act more mature than the rest. Until you mention the possibility that Marine is locked in a castle full of rampaging Zerom, at which point he wants to fly in through the windows on his own, break the doors and rescue her.
- Lethal Chef: You do not let Chalcedony cook. He can't even hold the plates properly.
- Light 'em Up: His main element.
- Magic Knight: Quite literally. His offensive stats are above average, but equally divided between physical and magical attacks. Gains about as much spells as he does physical artes, and also a Combat Medic.
- Missing Mother: Like Kor and the Hearts siblings, his mother is not present in the story for she passed away.
- Not So Above It All: He and his squad are far more goofy than they let on.
- The Paladin: A perfect example. He has the looks, the personality, works for The Order, has the power to purify people afflicted with the disease, his main elements are thunder and light, and he has healing artes. What else can a man ask for?
- Power Gives You Wings: It also makes him have the power to summon the Global Airship Reinheit in R.
- The Rival
- Sheltered Aristocrat: Surprisingly, he's extremely naive about affairs that do not concern the church or the empress. He is also incapable of unbuttoning his pajamas or ironing his own clothes.
- Shock and Awe: Gains a similar selection of lightning spells as Kohaku and Beryl.
- Shorter Means Smarter: He's the shortest male party member in the game, has an eloquent way of speaking, and seems to be far more intelligent than the naive Shing and the brash Hisui.
- Single-Target Sexuality: He has eyes for only his Paraiba-sama which is a mix of Likes Older Women as well since she's at least 6-8 years older than him. Turns out that Marine likes him too. She has known him since he was a baby and even changed his diapers
- Sixth Ranger: A permanent party member in the R version.
- Something About a Rose: His joke weapon is a bouquet of roses he receives from Marine.
- Unholy Matrimony: Subverted. He is engaged to Marine. It's supposed to be out of political reasons since his father arranged it, but Chalcedony and Marine's feelings are mutual, thus it's a happy engagement.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: According to Marine, he was the kindest boy she had ever met and felt comfortable with. His younger self also protected Byrocks from bullying. Adult Chalcedony hasn't gone over to the dark side, but he's considerably distant and troubled by his own failure.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Never even mention bugs. Mythical monsters and mutated soldiers are a-ok, but the mere thought of insects makes him tremble.
- Why DId It Have To Be Insects: One thing he cannot stand are insects. Also mentioned in his confession where he wishes that his fear of insects would not be public knowledge in the Crystal Knights.
Galando Grinus / Gall Gruner
"The strength to fight for someone even if you're aware you can't win: that is the strength which forges Spiria."
A new character introduced in Tales of Hearts R
. Galando is a veteran Soma Master who lost both his wife and daughter to Despir Disease. Believing that Kohaku's unique strain of Despir Disease may hold the key to eradicating the sickness once and for all, he joins Shing and Hisui on their journey to cure her.
His Soma, Astore
, is a set of shoulder pauldrons from which he can draw and dual-wield
an axe and sword. He can also control the axe like a boomerang for medium-range attacks.
Tropes associated with Galando:
Richea Spodune/Lithia Spodumene
"Believe in yourself. These feelings are yours, and yours alone."
A mysterious girl residing within Kohaku's Spiria. She matches the description of the girl in the nursery rhyme, "The Sleeping Princess of the Forest of Thorns".
- The Ageless: Her Spiria lives on in the body of her hosts, so her appearance remains the same. Her body is preserved inside the Forest of Thorns, but while it doesn't start aging when she reclaims it, it can't survive for long.
- The Atoner: She's partly responsible for the destruction of her home planet, since she served as Gardenia's core. As atonement, she fights desperately so the monster won't be revived.
- Barrier Maiden: Along with her sister. Richea holds the seal to Cinderellion, while Flora sealed Gardenia into emergency sleep mode to stop its rampage.
- Big Eater: A huge fan of food, to the point where she has Kunzite procure it for her if there are....complications.
- Big Sleep: At the end of the game, she has to go to sleep so she won't calcify. She rests peacefully in Kunzite's Spiria
- Curtains Match the Window: According to her, Quartzians were known for their gemlike hair and pale skin.
- Dub Name Change: Richea Spodune is now Lithia Spodumene.
- Grand Theft Me: Has the power to take over her host and does it when confronting Creed to speak directly to Creed. However, she never forcibly takes control and has always had a friendly relationship with her hosts.
- I Did What I Had to Do: A dangerous amount of this. She admits responsibility for shattering Kohaku's Spirune to protect herself from Creed, and claims she would easily kill Kohaku or anyone else if it meant foiling Creed's plans. Fortunately, she mellows out after a while.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Has adored cats since her early days, but her allergy prevents her from touching them.
- Last of Her Kind: One of the three surviving Quartzians, residents of the planer Quartz that was destroyed 2,000 years before the game's story. By the end, she's the only one left.
- Mind Rape: Chlinoseraph traps her in his Spir Maze and has her relive the moments of Quartz's destruction over a thousand times in order to break her Spiria. She survives because she knows her sin better than anyone and cannot go down before stopping Creed.
- Must Make Amends: The only reason she still keeps herself alive, even though she doesn't believe she deserves it.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Her sister believed Creed's plan to use Gardenia and absorb the feelings that brought war to Quartz was far too reckless. Richea saw no other way, however, and joined Creed by serving as Gardenia's core. When the monster began rampaging and absorbing everything indiscriminately, she felt all 6 billion victims' anguish and resolved to forever keep it sealed.
- Mystical Waif
- Power Strain Blackout: Uisng her artes takes a serious toll on her Spiria. Develops into a Heroic RROD later, to the point she almost crystallizes if not for her Shing's succesful Spir Link which gave her a little more time.
- Protectorate: For the whole party, but specifically Kunzite and Hisui.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Really 700 Years Old: Her real body is kept in stasis while her Spiria is preserved within her hosts.
- Secretly Dying: Shortly after regaining her body, she can no longer sustain the burden her artes place on her Spiria and slowly begins crystallizing. She has Kunzite and Hisui keep quiet about it.
- Shrouded in Myth: Her visage is worshipped as the sleeping goddess on the Flying Whale. In truth, she is a 2,000-year old alien.
- Silk Hiding Steel: She looks like a dignified fairy tale princess, but is acknowledged to have an indomitable will even by Creed, who despises her. Her Spiria does not break even after repeatedly reliving the worst moments of her life.
- Song Of Courage: Her lullaby. She used to sing it to Kunzite and even taught it to Iola when Hisui was still a child. When Kunzite first complimented her on the beauty of her voice, she took it as a sign that her knight is developing genuine feelings within his Spiria. She uses it to encourage him and make him believe his feelings can defeat Chlorseraph.
- Walk, Don't Swim: Despite others thinking swimming is her specialty, she bashfully reveals her race's weight prevents her from swimming. She saves Hisui from drowning by walking at the bottom of the sea.
- Weight Woe: She is evidently very heavy despite her skinny figure, as was common for her race. Reminding her of it gives her a Luminescent Blush, especially in front of Hisui.
- You Gotta Have Emerald Hair
One of the last survivors of the Quartz race, Creed is at the centre of events in Tales of Hearts
. Two thousand years ago, Creed created Gardenia: a device that would end the wars raging across the world by calcifying any Spiria that held a desire to fight. Unfortunately, it worked too well and calcified everyone on the planet save for his lover Flora, and her sister Richea. Flora pulled a Heroic Sacrifice and became a Barrier Maiden to stop Gardenia, but Creed, distraught by her loss, attempted to force her back out at the cost of reviving Gardenia. Richea moved to stop him, and the ensuing battle separated their minds from their bodies. Since then, Creed and Richea have battled throughout the generations by jumping from body to body
.At the beginning of the game, Creed is sealed within Shing's Spiria. The seal is broken by Incarose tapping into Kor's anger, and Creed fully possesses Kor until he returns to his real body. He then attempts once more to unseal Gardenia and save Flora
A mysterious sorceress who is chasing after Kohaku Hearts. She murders Zex Meteoryte, shatters Kohaku's Spirtune and does everything in her power to piss off Shing and stop the party from reuniting the Spirtune pieces. She is a mechanical being similar to Kunzite, and was created to serve Creed. She is classified as a "Queen-Type" mechanoid, and is an experimental model with seven bodies linked to a single Spiria
Chlorseraph & Clinoseraph
Two robotic brothers that serve Creed
's faction. They are classed as "Ace-Type" mechanoids, the strongest fighting type. They can also resonate their artificial Spiria in order to boost their abilities, in a manner similar to the party. Chlorseraph is the one at the front with the twin blades; Clinoseraph is the one at the back with the stronger armour.
- Axe Crazy: Both, but Clinoseraph is this in a more quiet way.
- Creepy Twins
- Dragon with an Agenda: Neither are truly loyal to Creed and have their own agendas that puts them at odds with the party. This bites Incarose in the ass when she fuses with their spare parts and Spiria.
- Foe Yay: An in-universe, one-sided variation. Clorseraph is very fixated on Kunzite.
- In-Series Nickname: Roa and Rino.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Chlorseraph's obssession with both Kunzite and Richea. He will have Richea's head to free Kunzite and he will be the one to kill him.
- Primal Fear: Chlorseraph, the very Mechanoid who wants to create a world only for the superior machines and despises being bound to a master, is the only mechanoid to fear death above all.
- Ridiculously Human Robots
- Undying Loyalty: Chlinoseraph's devotion to Flora runs even deeper than Kunzite's loyalty to Richea. To the point he sacrificed his Spiria for a chance to save her favourite bird and stabs his own brother because he considers him a danger to Flora.
A Robot Girl
who serves as the Villainous Harlequin
's faction. As a Joker-Type mechanoid, she's designed more for practical use and data-gathering rather than battle. She's obsessed with gathering information, and is driven more by curiosity than anything else.