Characters: Tales of Hearts
open/close all folders
Kor Meteor / Shing Meteorite
- "If an adult has to hurt someone, even to save the world... I'll just be a kid!"Voiced by: Tetsuya Kakihara
- Accidental Pervert: When he hears Peridot is in the hot springs with Kohaku and Lithia, he rushes in to save the girls. Only they weren't really in danger and the girls didn't appreciate him busting in.
- Adorkable: Certainly has his moments. For example, Chalcedony mentions that Byrocks sometimes sews little bunnies on his clothes. His response? He thinks they're cool and wants to see one right away.
- Adults Are Useless: Or so he thinks, because "they can't save the world because they cannot bring a smile of one girl!". Unfortunately, he spews it in front of Chalcedony...
- Awesome McCoolname: His Japanese surname is a few letters from "meteorite".
- Berserk Button: Seeing Incarose hurt someone or suggesting they can't beat her makes him positively flip. You also do not want to hurt Kohaku in his presence.
- Butt Monkey: He gets mistaken for a pervert, gets egged on a lot by Hisui, and even once got to Kohaku's bad side... poor guy just can't catch a break.
- Catch Phrase: "Gandoko ikō", a shortened version of "ガンガンどこまでも", which roughly means "let's go all out". Chalcedony ends up saying it too.
- The English version gives him "Kor Meteor doesn't try. Kor Meteor DOES!". Though not always going to match with the above.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Though his feelings for Kohaku are genuine, he's not above overhearing the girls' conversations in the bath... among other things. It usually ends badly for him.
- Declaration of Protection: The first thing he promises Kohaku after her Spiria Core is shattered. It blossoms into romance over time, and is even one of his level up quotes.
- Dub Name Change: The first time in quite a while since Genius and Refill became Genis and Raine, respectively; his name is changed from "Shing" to "Kor" for the English release of Hearts R. It's fitting since "Kor" means "heart" in Italian, and "Shing" is meant to mean "Heart Weapon", and his surname is reduced from "Meteoryte" to "Meteor". Also this makes his English name sounds like "Core Meteor".
- Enemy Within: Creed.
- First Name Basis: Chalcedony doesn't appreciate the familiar tone Shing uses. Shing doesn't care. Taken a step further when they become friends and Chalcedony becomes just "Chal".
- The Hero
- Heroic BSOD: Kor didn't take it well when he found out that Creed was sealed within him since birth and that succumbing to his desire for revenge caused Creed to materialize into the world.)
- Idiot Hero: Hisui and Beryl concur.
- Kid Hero: He is only sixteen, after all.
- Leeroy Jenkins He has a lot of these moments:Hisui: There they are. We need a plan.
Kor: Here's the plan: Charge 'em with all we've got!
- Light 'em Up: He gains a lot of Light-elemental artes in his arsenal.
- Like Father, Like Son: He takes after his mother, who was quite tomboyish and carefree. His Catch Phrase also came from her, even though she had long stopped using it when Kor was born.
- Love at First Sight: Towards Kohaku.
- Meaningful Name: His Japanese name is composed of readings that mean "weapon" and "heart". "Asteria" is the Greek word for "stars" (meaning all his evolved weapons are named after constellations and astronomers), but is also the name of a flower Creed, Lithia and Fluora planted on Minera, hoping that it will become a peaceful place by the time it bloomed. This comes full circle when Kor brings Fluora's Soma Link plan into fruition.
- Missing Dad: Does he even have a father?
- Missing Mom: His mother passed away long before the story started.
- Nice Guy: He's a refreshingly good-natured, all-loving boy, even if he's a bit dense.
- Not So Different: In the ending, he lampshades to the party about how Creed is exactly what he would've become without his family and friends to teach him the meaning of bonds.
- Older Than They Look: Was described as having a child-like face in his wanted poster.
- The Peeping Tom: "Watching the hot springs is a man's romance!" It doesn't quite work like that for him.
- Playing with Fire: Also has a lot of Fire-elemental artes, though not as much as the others.
- The Power of Friendship
- Raised by Grandparents: His grandfather, who was very close with his deceased mother.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: When possessed by Creed.
- Shock and Awe: His main element. He gains skills that power up his Lightning artes, as well as boost his resistance to Lightning. His mystic arte is also Lightning-elemental.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Although he is kind to all the girls in the game, the only girl he has feelings for is Kohaku.
- Unstoppable Rage: Kor has a tendency to lapse into this if provoked. The act of doing so weakens the seal on Creed.
- What the Hell, Hero?: From a recently recovered Kohaku, of all people. She does not appreciate him turning his back on Lithia and leaving the entire world at Creed's mercy.
- "I believe you. A bad person couldn't use a Soma anyway."Voiced by: Marina Inoue
- Action Girl: See Took a Level in Badass below.
- Badass Adorable: See Beware the Nice Ones
- Beware the Nice Ones: You seriously do not want to piss sweet little Kohaku off, or else you're going to get a lot of kicking.
- Blow You Away: She has a very limited selection of wind spells, presumably learned from Hisui.
- Cherry Blossoms: She's named after a cherry tree, "kohakuzakura". Her Final Fury features cherry blossoms, while her dual Mystic Arte with her brother is named after his bird-themed attacks and her floral theme.
- The Chick: A rare Badass version. Even emotionless, she manages to keep the party together.
- Cooldown Hug: A master of this, even while emotionless. She administers this on three occasions: when Kor loses it, Tourmaline breaks down crying and Chalcedony is too distressed to let his Soma evolve.
- Combat Medic: The first Tales heroine that is a cross between a martial artist, spellcaster and healer, though she's not as effective as her brother. Her example would later be followed by Sophie and Leia, though neither have offensive spells.
- Distressed Damsel: Several times.
- Dub Name Change: Both the translation patch and Graces ƒ call her "Amber", which is the literal translation of "Kohaku", in keeping with Hearts' gem-based Theme Naming. However, she keeps her original name for the English release of Hearts R, which is fitting since she's from a village that's considered foreign.
- Emotionless Girl: For about... 30 minutes. Then she starts gaining them one by one.
- Establishing Character Moment: The intro movie when she grabs Hisui and jumps off a cliff with him after he hesitated because he can't swim.Kohaku: "Well I've always been afraid of heights, so this is going to be unpleasant for both of us!"
- Father, I Want to Marry My Brother: Hisui says little Kohaku wanted to grow up and become his wife. She was evidently very cute.
- Hime Cut: Though not a princess, she is considered an important figure in her home because she houses the revered Richea. It also signifies her traditional Japanese-styled beauty, since her culture is considered foreign in the game world.
- Idiot Hair
- Kick Chick: A result of training for years in her room since she was a child. She wanted to become strong enough to protect Lithia. It's also a description in her wanted poster where it says she kicks like a mule.
- Lethal Chef: She puts miso in all of the things she cooks. She's so bad about this that even Kunzite threatened to destroy anything she cooked that had miso on it.
- Light 'em Up: She has the same selection of light spells as Chalcedony.
- Male Gaze: For some reason, especially in VS and Hearts R, the camera/cut-in loves showing off her back. And her ass.
- Megaton Kick: In particular her Arte Kaishinkyaku. Looks like a normal push kick, but it has a gigantic knockback event. Hisui says the echo of her kicks while training was enough to cause avalanches near their village.
- Missing Dad: Does she and Hisui even have a father?
- Missing Mom: Her mother passed away before she was born.
- Playing with Fire: Her main element, also present in a lot of physical attacks.
- Sexy Backless Outfit: Ines correctly guesses it's due to her homeland being in the middle of snowy mountains. When she was at home, she had to wear impossibly thick clothes, so when she saw how warm the rest of the world was, she wanted to enjoy it as much as she could.
- She's Got Legs: A fact constantly lampshaded by other characters. She admits she sometimes does it on purpose and one of Kor's confessions in the church in Hanselear is that he finds himself looking at them a lot.
- Shout-Out: "This is my... Satsugeki Bukouken!"
- Strong Family Resemblance: Resembles her mother, Iola, in both looks and personality.
- Technicolor Eyes: They're lavender.
- Took a Level in Badass: While at first she seems meek, once she got her Courage Spirune back, she starts kicking ass and officially joins the party.
- Tsundere: Elevated to a Type B in Hearts R towards Kor.
- Trademark Favorite Food: She loves miso to the point that she puts it in anything.
- When She Smiles: Kor remarks her smile was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen, even though he only saw it once. One of the reasons he promises to make her smile again.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Has a phobia of heights because she fell from a high window as a child. She tries to suppress it, but it becomes downright paralyzing when her Fear Spiria Crystal is one of the first emotions she regains and she keeps finding herself well above ground.
- "Yeah, I'm scared all right, but not of you. I'm scared that my sister and all these monkeys with me are gonna get hurt."Voiced by: Masaya Matsukaze
- Arbitrary Skepticism: He refuses to believe the existence of "fairy tale creatures" like the Xerom until he Soma Links for the first time and sees them with his own eyes. He also doesn't believe that his sister has a voice in her head telling her things.
- Berserk Button: Don't suggest you've been looking at Kohaku's legs. Or remind him that Kor may one day become his brother-in-law.
- Blow You Away: His main element, attribute-wise.
- Butt Monkey: Tied with Kor and Beryl for being the butt of jokes. He's had it rough in the two skits about his Soma, where everyone in the party shoots his own Soma at him to see what would come out.
- Character Development: Starts off very hot-headed and brash but mellows out into a mature young man in the second half of the game, thanks to Lithia. He still has some hot-blooded moments still after.
- Combat Medic: One of the rare male main healers in the Tales series. Combines long-range arrow artes with wind spells and area-wide healing. His brash behavior is the exact opposite of what you'd expect from a healer. He's a healer who can blow you away if given the opportunity.
- Dub Name Change: Same like Kohaku, he's called Jadeite in Graces ƒ.
- Elemental Powers: Ice, water, and plenty of wind.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Averted. He puts his googles on during combat, which makes perfect sense considering all those wind techs he's throwing around.
- Hot-Blooded: The greatest source of fiery energy in the team.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He makes no excuses of berating everyone, especially Kor, but he also lets out some soft sides. Especially on Lithia.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: He's actually a dog lover, as revealed in a skit, but a side quest centered on him made him wear cat ears and cat paws in order to please Lithia, who loves cats but is allergic to them.
- Knight Templar Big Brother: He really is overprotective on Kohaku, repeatedly beating Kor and on one instance threatening to kill him.
- May-December Romance: Lithia is well beyond his age, but he doesn't care.
- Missing Mother: His and Kohaku's mother passed away long ago.
- The Lancer: His down-to-earth, no-nonsense attitude clashes with Kor's idealistic approach, but he mellows out.
- Nephewism: His mother died right after giving birth to Kohaku, leaving him and his sister to be raised by their aunt.
- Power Gives You Wings: His Mystic Arte in Hearts R.
- Rain of Arrows
- Technicolor Eyes: Lavender, just like Kohaku's.
- Trademark Favorite Food: He likes his aunt's Mabo Curry.
- Tsundere: A rough Type A to anyone who does as much as get too close to Kohaku, particularly Kor.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: His relationship with Kor starts off antagonistic, becomes reluctantly civil and finally culminates in this.
- Why Did It Have To Be Water?: He can't swim and gets nauseous on boats.
- Would Hit a Girl: Has hit Beryl on more than one occasion.
- "My painting isn't about "adventures" or "heroes" any more. It's about "things you can't fight". Shing, you're perfect for it!"Voiced by: Saeko Chiba
- Black Mage: Subverted. Covers the widest selection of elemental spells (see Elemental Powers below) and has the highest Will in the party, but she also learns an assortment of status-boosting spells.
- Broken Pedestal: Her great admiration and enthusiasm for the world-renowned artist Sumisona is shattered when she learns he faked his own blindness to escape the stress fame brought him.
- Butt Monkey: The game loves throwing random things at her. Oh, so you won a bunch of money by gambling on the most unlikely outcome and wanted to buy a paintbrush? Sorry, it just so happens we need a bed for Kohaku and the only available one is an incredibly expensive suite. And then there's the part where everyone is jumping down the city walls, only to land on her one by one... Not to mention her wanting to sketch Kohaku AND Ines, IN THE NUDE...
- The Cameo: She appears as a plushie in Katz Korner in Graces.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: "WHY IS EVERYONE ALWAYS PINNED ON KOHAKU!?" She got better.
- Cute Witch: Even if she isn't a witch, she certainly projects this image.
- Elemental Powers: Has the greatest selection of elements since she's the only party member that's highly magic-oriented. Said elements include ice, water, darkness, earth and lightning. Wind, light and fire are left to the rest of the magic knights. Her Meteoric Rise is Non-Elemental.
- The Gadfly: Beryl may be the world's joke, but she loooves teasing people when she can, especially a certain pair of lovestruck main characters.
- Gratuitous English: Her physical Artes combine this with Japanese onomatopoeia.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Can't admit it until they return to her hometown. She always wanted people to approach her because of who she was, and not because her grandfather is the greatest painter in history. From that point, she and Kohaku become inseparable.
- Improbable Weapon User: Her weapon is a paintbrush.
- Nice Hat
- Older Than They Look: She's actually 18.
- Squishy Wizard: She's a great spellcaster, but has the defense of a paper bag.
- Token Mini-Moe: Teased by Kunzite for this. When asked whether he is into "lolis", he makes a pun about being "lonely" and suggests "loli" is a far more apt characterization for Beryl. Beryl protests she's way beyond that age.
- Tsundere: She keeps finding excuses about why she's helping everyone until her Character Development kicks in.
- Youthful Freckles: Hardly visible, but they're there.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A
Ines Lorenzen / Ines Lorenz
- "An adult is someone who does what's necessary, even if it hurts."Voiced by: Shizuka Ito
- Action Girl
- The Alcoholic: Loves alcohol a lot. Her love for alcohol probably rivals Gall's.
- An Axe to Grind: A blue and large variation of an axe is her weapon.
- Berserk Button: Striegov showing her Lapis's Core made her real pissed.
- The Big Girl
- Boobs of Steel: She has the largest bust size in the party, and she's the most powerful melee-oriented female.
- Buxom Is Better: A bit flanderized in her wanted poster description stating that the writer of the poster was too distracted by her assets to get the description of her Soma.
- Cool Big Sis
- Cool Mask: Part of her soldier uniform. It becomes an attachment that everyone can wear in R.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: A miniskirt, specifically. She always fights in it.
- Dub Name Change: Becomes "Ines Lorenzen" in the localized version of R.
- Elemental Powers
- Glacier Waif: Don't let her figure fool you. She can dish out as much damage as she can take.
- Gratuitous French: ALL her moves
- Lady in Red
- Love Martyr: Before her Heel-Face Turn, she pretty much has the mindset that she doesn't give a crap about the world as long as Silver's heart is saved.
- The Mole
- Promotion to Parent: After Silver's death, she looks after his daughter.
- Super Strength: Apart from her having the highest attack in the entire party, a majority of skits and events having to do with her deal with her insane strength.
- Verbal Tic: "I wonder?"
- "Now requesting... negative. Please, I ask of you... everyone, in order to protect Master Richea, please lend me your power!"Voiced by: Hozumi Gouda
- Become a Real Boy: His final reaction
- Big Sleep: In order to protect Lithia from dying, he lets her sleep in his Spiria, which will make him permanently fall asleep as well.
- Declaration of Protection: Towards Lithia, his one and only master.
- Do-Anything Robot: His functions include battle capabilities, a power scanner, navigation, a hair salon, the ability to measure a person from a distance, a massage session and the ability to hear Lithia's conversations when she's within reach.
- Elemental Powers
- Heroic Sacrifice: At the end of the game he chooses to enter a permanent state of hibernation so that the dying Richea can live on in his Spiria.
- Knight Templar: At first, which caused him to fight the party after temporarily joining them. Then he got better.
- Never Tell Me the Odds: Spoken before the final battle.
- Not So Stoic: Kunzite has a few hotblooded scenes, which the other characters take note of. And when you encounter Lithia Cattleya, an ancient Xerom who wants to become Lithia, the poor robot nearly explodes. "Never before have I felt such anger!"
- Power Level: Can scan'em.
- Power Perversion Potential: He can hear Lithia's conversations from a distance. Hisui and Kor make use of it in the hot springs. Pain ensues.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: First playable one in the Tales Series. However, he turns out to be the least human compared to the rest of mechanoids.
- Spock Speak
- The Sixth Ranger: Can also double up as The Smart Guy due to his sensors.
- Supreme Chef: Has been one ever since he began serving Lithia. His food is simply superb, even more so when he learns the Peach Pie recipe from Beryl's grandmother.
- Tin Man: His first reactions
- You Shall Not Pass: Chooses to take on both all of Creed's minions at once to give a chance for the rest to escape.
Chalcedony Arcome / Chalcedony Akerman
- "If you would bear the weight of the world on your shoulders, I will hold you up."Voiced by: Hiroshi Kamiya
- The Ace
- Affectionate Nickname: Is called "Chal" by Paraiba and, eventually, Shing.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: In front of Marine while she's turned into the Lonely Veronica Zerom. He finally gets the guts to admit it after seeing her repeatedly angst over his lack of any non-formal communication with her.
- Badass: He takes on TWO Incaroses. Bonus points in R where it becomes a solo boss battle. Possibly the most badass party member in R.
- Berserk Button: Or rage switch, as Peridot calls it. Imply he's not giving his full for his favourite lady, and...Shing: If an "adult" would sacrifice someone's life to save the world, I'm okay with being a "child". A guy who can't even bring back the smile of the girl before him can never save the world!
Chalcedony: The smile of the girl before him... huh... Peridot, Pyrox. Stay your hands.
Peridot: Uh oh, looks like he got a bulls-eye on the Captain's anger switch.
- Big, Thin, Short Trio: Pyrox is the Big, Chalcedny is the Thin, and Peridot is the Short.
- Break the Haughty: He starts off calling Shing a powerless boy and completely ignoring his plea for Kohaku's Spiria Core. He then proceeds to play puppet in the power struggles between the church and the army, only to be branded a criminal and hurt Marine. It takes him down a notch.
- Combat Medic: Gains the same selection of healing spells as Kohaku, but not as powerful as Hisui's.
- Dub Name Change: His last name is changed to "Akerman" in the localized version of R.
- Heroic Sacrifice:Chalcedony doesn't die, but his body is incapacitated. Averted in R where he joins the party.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: In a skit, he was arguing with Hisui and Kunzite over pet choices. He prefers cats.
- Knight In Shining Armour: Despite his arrogance, he genuinely believes he's doing the best for the world. And he specifically became a Crystal Knight for his beloved Marine.
- Last Name Basis: He specifically calls Shing by his last name because he doesn't consider him a friend, but once they actually connect, he finally lets loose.
- Leeroy Jenkins: He is usually level-headed and tries to act more mature than the rest. Until you mention the possibility that Marine is locked in a castle full of rampaging Zerom, at which point he wants to fly in through the windows on his own, break the doors and rescue her.
- Lethal Chef: You do not let Chalcedony cook. He can't even hold the plates properly.
- Light 'em Up: His main element.
- Magic Knight: Quite literally. His offensive stats are above average, but equally divided between physical and magical attacks. Gains about as much spells as he does physical artes, and also a Combat Medic.
- Missing Mother: Like Kor and the Hearts siblings, his mother is not present in the story for she passed away.
- Not So Above It All: He and his squad are far more goofy than they let on.
- The Paladin: A perfect example. He has the looks, the personality, works for The Order, has the power to purify people afflicted with the disease, his main elements are thunder and light, and he has healing artes. What else can a man ask for?
- Power Gives You Wings: It also makes him have the power to summon the Global Airship Reinheit in R.
- The Rival
- Sheltered Aristocrat: Surprisingly, he's extremely naive about affairs that do not concern the church or the empress. He is also incapable of unbuttoning his pajamas or ironing his own clothes.
- Shock and Awe: Gains a similar selection of lightning spells as Kohaku and Beryl.
- Shorter Means Smarter: He's the shortest male party member in the game, has an eloquent way of speaking, and seems to be far more intelligent than the naive Shing and the brash Hisui.
- Single-Target Sexuality: He has eyes for only his Paraiba-sama which is a mix of Likes Older Women as well since she's at least 6-8 years older than him. Turns out that Marine likes him too. She has known him since he was a baby and even changed his diapers
- Sixth Ranger: A permanent party member in the R version.
- Something About a Rose: His joke weapon is a bouquet of roses he receives from Marine.
- Unholy Matrimony: Subverted. He is engaged to Marine. It's supposed to be out of political reasons since his father arranged it, but Chalcedony and Marine's feelings are mutual, thus it's a happy engagement.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: According to Marine, he was the kindest boy she had ever met and felt comfortable with. His younger self also protected Byrocks from bullying. Adult Chalcedony hasn't gone over to the dark side, but he's considerably distant and troubled by his own failure.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Never even mention bugs. Mythical monsters and mutated soldiers are a-ok, but the mere thought of insects makes him tremble.
- Why DId It Have To Be Insects: One thing he cannot stand are insects. Also mentioned in his confession where he wishes that his fear of insects would not be public knowledge in the Crystal Knights.
Galando Grinus / Gall Gruner
Voiced by Hideo Ishikawa
- "The strength to fight for someone even if you're aware you can't win: that is the strength which forges Spiria."
- An Axe to Grind
- The Alcoholic: REALLY likes alcohol. Even his confessions all talk about his alcohol problems.
- The Big Guy
- Cool Shades
- Cool Old Guy
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Doomed Hometown: The deaths of his wife and daughter served as the disaster that called him to become a Soma Master.
- Dual Wielding
- Dub Name Change: Becomes "Gall Gruner" in the localized version.
- Intercontinuity Crossover: The Stinger shows him returning through the Triverse Gate and reuniting with a group of soldiers led by QQ from Tales of Innocence R.
- Magic Knight: Combines his boomerang, kicks and sword combo with earth and fire spells.
- Mentor Archetype: His Soma Link involves teaching Shing and Hisui how to master their Soma.
- Precision-Guided Boomerang: He can control its course mid-air. While also using his sword or kicks. Damage rate increases the further he from the target.
Richea Spodune/Lithia Spodumene
Voiced by: Kaori Shimizu
- "Believe in yourself. These feelings are yours, and yours alone."
- The Ageless: Her Spiria lives on in the body of her hosts, so her appearance remains the same. Her body is preserved inside the Forest of Thorns, but while it doesn't start aging when she reclaims it, it can't survive for long.
- The Atoner: She's partly responsible for the destruction of her home planet, since she served as Gardenia's core. As atonement, she fights desperately so the monster won't be revived.
- Barrier Maiden: Along with her sister. Richea holds the seal to Cinderellion, while Flora sealed Gardenia into emergency sleep mode to stop its rampage.
- Big Eater: A huge fan of food, to the point where she has Kunzite procure it for her if there are....complications.
- Big Sleep: At the end of the game, she has to go to sleep so she won't calcify. She rests peacefully in Kunzite's Spiria
- Curtains Match the Window: According to her, Quartzians were known for their gemlike hair and pale skin.
- Dub Name Change: Richea Spodune is now Lithia Spodumene.
- Grand Theft Me: Has the power to take over her host and does it when confronting Creed to speak directly to Creed. However, she never forcibly takes control and has always had a friendly relationship with her hosts.
- I Did What I Had to Do: A dangerous amount of this. She admits responsibility for shattering Kohaku's Spirune to protect herself from Creed, and claims she would easily kill Kohaku or anyone else if it meant foiling Creed's plans. Fortunately, she mellows out after a while.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Has adored cats since her early days, but her allergy prevents her from touching them.
- Last of Her Kind: One of the three surviving Quartzians, residents of the planer Quartz that was destroyed 2,000 years before the game's story. By the end, she's the only one left.
- Mind Rape: Chlinoseraph traps her in his Spir Maze and has her relive the moments of Quartz's destruction over a thousand times in order to break her Spiria. She survives because she knows her sin better than anyone and cannot go down before stopping Creed.
- Must Make Amends: The only reason she still keeps herself alive, even though she doesn't believe she deserves it.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Her sister believed Creed's plan to use Gardenia and absorb the feelings that brought war to Quartz was far too reckless. Richea saw no other way, however, and joined Creed by serving as Gardenia's core. When the monster began rampaging and absorbing everything indiscriminately, she felt all 6 billion victims' anguish and resolved to forever keep it sealed.
- Mystical Waif
- Power Strain Blackout: Uisng her artes takes a serious toll on her Spiria. Develops into a Heroic RROD later, to the point she almost crystallizes if not for her Shing's succesful Spir Link which gave her a little more time.
- Protectorate: For the whole party, but specifically Kunzite and Hisui.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Really 700 Years Old: Her real body is kept in stasis while her Spiria is preserved within her hosts.
- Secretly Dying: Shortly after regaining her body, she can no longer sustain the burden her artes place on her Spiria and slowly begins crystallizing. She has Kunzite and Hisui keep quiet about it.
- Shrouded in Myth: Her visage is worshipped as the sleeping goddess on the Flying Whale. In truth, she is a 2,000-year old alien.
- Silk Hiding Steel: She looks like a dignified fairy tale princess, but is acknowledged to have an indomitable will even by Creed, who despises her. Her Spiria does not break even after repeatedly reliving the worst moments of her life.
- Song Of Courage: Her lullaby. She used to sing it to Kunzite and even taught it to Iola when Hisui was still a child. When Kunzite first complimented her on the beauty of her voice, she took it as a sign that her knight is developing genuine feelings within his Spiria. She uses it to encourage him and make him believe his feelings can defeat Chlorseraph.
- Walk, Don't Swim: Despite others thinking swimming is her specialty, she bashfully reveals her race's weight prevents her from swimming. She saves Hisui from drowning by walking at the bottom of the sea.
- Weight Woe: She is evidently very heavy despite her skinny figure, as was common for her race. Reminding her of it gives her a Luminescent Blush, especially in front of Hisui.
- You Gotta Have Emerald Hair
Antagonists (Major spoilers)
Voiced by: Shinichiro Miki
One of the last survivors of the Quartz race, Creed is at the centre of events in Tales of Hearts. Two thousand years ago, Creed created Gardenia: a device that would end the wars raging across the world by calcifying any Spiria that held a desire to fight. Unfortunately, it worked too well and calcified everyone on the planet save for his lover Flora, and her sister Richea. Flora pulled a Heroic Sacrifice and became a Barrier Maiden to stop Gardenia, but Creed, distraught by her loss, attempted to force her back out at the cost of reviving Gardenia. Richea moved to stop him, and the ensuing battle separated their minds from their bodies. Since then, Creed and Richea have battled throughout the generations by jumping from body to body.At the beginning of the game, Creed is sealed within Shing's Spiria. The seal is broken by Incarose tapping into Kor's anger, and Creed fully possesses Kor until he returns to his real body. He then attempts once more to unseal Gardenia and save Flora.
- Bad Boss: To his Mechanoids.
- Bishonen Line: His final and strongest form inside his Spiria is basically his normal form with a glowing red collar.
- Dark Is Evil
- Evil Counterpart: Kor thinks he would have ended up like Creed, if his parents and friends hadn't supported him all the way through.
- Evil Red Head: More on the crimson level, but it's still red regardless.
- Evil Is Not a Toy: He attempts to use Gardenia to revive the civilisation he accidentally destroyed. The party tries to tell him that it doesn't work like that. He tries anyway. Gardenia devours Flora. Cue complete mental breakdown.
- Gone Horribly Right: Gardenia.
- Grand Theft Me: To Kor, and to the previous Maximus Emperor, Zirconia.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Gardenia's Spiria is a copy of his own. The reason it absorbs all it finds is because it's seeking affection in the same way someone as lonely as Creed did. His inability to admit his weakness even at the face of Flora brings about his downfall.
- Love Makes You Evil
- Redemption Equals Death: Once he finally accepts his failure, he uses the last of his energy to teleport the party to safety.
- Sealed Inside a Person-Shaped Can
- Sissy Villain: He glitters.
- Together in Death: With Fluora.
- Villainous Breakdown: After Gardenia devours Flora.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He created Gardenia because Minera was a Crapsack World, even by usual Tales standards. After Gardenia calcifies everyone, he then decides that the best way to fix things is to absorb Spirias from Organica.
- Worthy Opponent: While he usually considers the party far beneath him, he compliments Kor for managing to graze him. Once he loses to the party's Somatic Bonds in the final battle, he finally acknowledges The Power of Friendship.
Voiced by: Junko Minagawa
A mysterious sorceress who is chasing after Kohaku Hearts. She murders Zex Meteoryte, shatters Kohaku's Spirtune and does everything in her power to piss off Shing and stop the party from reuniting the Spirtune pieces. She is a mechanical being similar to Kunzite, and was created to serve Creed. She is classified as a "Queen-Type" mechanoid, and is an experimental model with seven bodies linked to a single Spiria.
- Alas, Poor Villain
- Assimilation Backfire: She uses the Seraph bros' remains to upgrade herself, but they end up rebelling from within.
- The Dragon: To Creed.
- Eye Scream: Courtesy of Chalcedony slicing her eye off. Taunting him with the screams of his dying friends was a very bad idea.
- Love Makes You Evil
- The Man Behind the Man: She basically plays all the major factions to her advantage until she has no more need of them.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: The party is worried that they might have to sacrifice someone to get to Gardenia. After Incarose's boss battle, she accidentally falls into the chair and gets sacrificed instead.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Ridiculously Human Robot
- Soft-Spoken Sadist: She employs a rather gleeful low tone when torturing people, which is in sharp contrast to her normal emotionless voice.
- Strike Me Down with All of Your Hatred: Most of her actions are needlessly cruel to get a rise out of Shing. He walks right into it.
Chlorseraph & Clinoseraph
Voiced by: Koji Yusa and Kenjiro Tsuda
Two robotic brothers that serve Creed's faction. They are classed as "Ace-Type" mechanoids, the strongest fighting type. They can also resonate their artificial Spiria in order to boost their abilities, in a manner similar to the party. Chlorseraph is the one at the front with the twin blades; Clinoseraph is the one at the back with the stronger armour.
- Axe Crazy: Both, but Clinoseraph is this in a more quiet way.
- Creepy Twins
- Dragon with an Agenda: Neither are truly loyal to Creed and have their own agendas that puts them at odds with the party. This bites Incarose in the ass when she fuses with their spare parts and Spiria.
- Foe Yay: An in-universe, one-sided variation. Clorseraph is very fixated on Kunzite.
- In-Series Nickname: Roa and Rino.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Chlorseraph's obssession with both Kunzite and Richea. He will have Richea's head to free Kunzite and he will be the one to kill him.
- Primal Fear: Chlorseraph, the very Mechanoid who wants to create a world only for the superior machines and despises being bound to a master, is the only mechanoid to fear death above all.
- Ridiculously Human Robots
- Undying Loyalty: Chlinoseraph's devotion to Flora runs even deeper than Kunzite's loyalty to Richea. To the point he sacrificed his Spiria for a chance to save her favourite bird and stabs his own brother because he considers him a danger to Flora.
Voiced by: Tomoko Kaneda
A Robot Girl who serves as the Villainous Harlequin of Creed's faction. As a Joker-Type mechanoid, she's designed more for practical use and data-gathering rather than battle. She's obsessed with gathering information, and is driven more by curiosity than anything else.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Creed installed a program that had her follow his orders, but she was in fact very scared of him. She latches onto Richea as soon as the latter rescues her from him because of her kindness.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: With Beryl, of all people. Corrundum is the boke, Beryl is the very reluctant tsukkomi. The rest of the cast are left laughing.
- Mega Twintails: And she hands you a Drill Ribbon if you're nice to her!
- Small Annoying Creature: Her voice and speech patterns were designed to make her as irritating as possible.
- The Unfought
- Villainous Harlequin
Paraiba Marine De Rais
Voiced by: Mamiko Noto
Second Supreme Empress of the Max Empire and Chalcedony's childhood friend.
- Chained by Fashion: Her oversized imperial cape and chains are designed to invoked the aura of a caged bird, mirroring how trapped she feels.
- Childhood Friend Romance: She even used to change Chalcedony's diapers! Too bad he became so distant as they grew up and pushed her weak mental state further. When she hears he reciprocates her feelings, she finally gets a grip.
- Extreme Doormat: A result of being raised as a doll with no purpose other than to serve as a puppet empress. She tries to do something about it, but the warring factions simply threaten to send her away from the castle if she really gets in their way.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Kohaku's Sorrow Spirune magnified her bottled-up feelings and made her madly jealous of her maid, who had found a new lover instead of wallowing in sadness like Marin does.
- Interrupted Suicide: She tries to drown herself twice within the span of a few minutes, only for Shing to save her the first time and Gallando to stop her the second one.
- Keigo: An early hint about her identity is the use of polite speech and the archaic pronoun "watakushi", usually reserved for high society.
- Loners Are Freaks: She is described as the loneliest person in the world, which is the prime source of her angst.
- My God, What Have I Done?: She breaks down when she realises her uncontrolled emotions almost made her flood an entire city. Thankfully, Kohaku's Cooldown Hug came to the rescue.
- Puppet Queen: And she knows. She lacks the spine to actually control the power struggle between the army and the church going on beneath her nose.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: But after Chalcedony reveals his true feelings, she finally breaks out of her meekness and orders the protection of the citizens. She then makes a public speech transmitted to the entire world where she acknowledges just how horrible a ruler she has been and that the support Chalcedony and her friends give her is enough to help her move. This motivates everyone and the entire populace manages to create a very powerful Soma Link via their connected emotions.
- Stepford Smiler: Sports a very unsettling smile where she keeps her eyes constantly closed under the effects of the Sorrow Spirune. Thankfully, it goes away after she reveals she's positively miserable even without it.
- True Blue Femininity: Blue dominates both her casual and empress outfits and she even has blue hair. She is perhaps the most traditionally feminine woman in the cast, and is actually royalty.
- Unholy Matrimony: Subverted. While it's revealed in the game that she's engaged to Chalcedony out of his father's orders, they share mutual feelings for each other, thus is a happy engagement.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Shing and Kohaku's attempts to get closer to her make her feel slightly better about herself, but they only act as a temporary band-aid to her larger problem.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Peridot Hamilton and Pyrox Ferro
Voiced by: Sakura Nogawa and Kenta MiyakeChalcedony's subordinates and official Crystal Knights of Squad 13. They start off antagonistic, but are slowly revealed to have a familial relationship with their captain.Tropes associated with the squad:
- BFG: Byrocks' Soma.
- Cool Big Sis: Peridot knows how hard it is to be a woman, and even shows kindness to Kohaku when the girl is in a constant state of fear. She also watches over the orphanage she grew up in.
- Custom Uniform of Sexy: Peridot's uniform is the only one that includes a pair of pink thigh-high socks.
- An Ice Person: Pyrox combines ice with Making a Splash spells.
- Improbable Weapon User: Peridot's Soma is a pair of shoes that can produce laser blades.
- Gratuitous German: Peridot's physical artes.
- Kick Chick: Peridot's moveset uses fire spells and fiery kicks, mirroring Kohaku's style.
- Number Two: Pyrox had a long history of being bullied until Chalcedony stuck up for him. He also basically acts as the captain's butler, considering he irons his clothes, cooks for him, cuts his hair and even helps change his clothing.
- Playing with Fire: Peridot.
- Supreme Chef: Pyrox is an astounding cook. He has failed to pass any knowledge of it to Chalcedony, however.
- So Proud of You: Accompanied by comedic Tears of Joy shed by Pyrox in a skit when Chalcedony shows off his newly acquired cooking skills. Also present in their final goodbye to their captain, who has become a man they admire.
Voiced by: Rieko Takahashi
Lithia's elder sister and the original inventor of Soma and the Cinderellion/Mysticete. She grew up with Creed and Lithia in Wonderidel, but was opposed to their plans.
- Absolute Cleavage: Rather ridiculous in her official art, where her breasts are seemingly suspended on their own. Her in-game model at least has the straps act as a sarashi of sorts.
- Barrier Maiden: She sealed Gardenia from the inside by trading places with Lithia as the monster's core. Richea acts as the seal to the "Forest of Thorns".
- Friend to All Living Things: She adopted a small bird she found injured beneath its nest and is shown to be fond of the Fruelle spirits dwelling in Latwick Forest. She also opposed the forced conversion of the Quartzians and considered her mechanoid knights people instead of simple machines.
- My Greatest Failure: She feels she never actually managed to teach Creed and Lithia about the importance of emotions and forming bonds, leading to the Quartzian tragedy. Her final recording left inside the Forest of Thorns shows just what she thinks of herself:"My name is Flora Spodumene. A sad, foolish woman who could not even save her own family."
- Ignored Expert: Despite her expertise on the subject of Spiria, neither Creed nor Lithia took heed to her repeated warnings that Gardenia cannot be controlled. If it weren't for her emergency plan that sealed the beast...
- The Lost Lenore: Creed's goal is to resurrect Quartz...and Flora. Chasing after her has been his prime objective for 2,000 years.
- Posthumous Character: She's not exactly dead, but we only see her in flashbacks and a video recording. When we do finally see her in person, she's so drained from serving as Gardenia's seal that she barely manages to beg Creed to stop.