open/close all folders
Hidden Mist Village provide example of:
- Making a Splash: The village specializes in water jutsus.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Particularly, the seven swordsmen and potential members.
- Public-Domain Character: Zabuza and Haku are based on Kirigakure no Saizo (Saizo of the Hidden Mist), a legendary ninja who also lends his nickname to the Hidden Mist Village. Zabuza got the badass reputation and his supposed fog-based abilities as well as his Water dragon (which here is just another Water jutsu), while Haku got the feminine appearance and cross-dressing.
Voiced by: Unshou Ishizuka (JP), Steve Blum (EN), Ricardo Tejedo (Latin American Spanish), David García Vázquez (Spain), Mathieu Moreau (French)
As I was used by Gatō, I used Haku. That was all. I've said it already... in the world of shinobi, there are only those who use and those whom are used. We shinobi are simply tools... what I wanted was his blood, not him... I have no regrets.
The first major antagonist of the series, a renegade shinobi from the Hidden Mist Village hired to kill Tazuna the bridge-builder.Before the series, he lead a coup attempting to oust the Mizukage and take control of the Village for himself; this failed, and Zabuza barely escaped with his life. Since then, he's been hiring out his sword to the highest bidder, hoping to raise enough funds for another go at the Mizukage.Zabuza was one of the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist (like Kisame), making him one the strongest ninja in the Hidden Mist Village before his defection. He knows a great deal of Water-Style jutsu and has the ability to shroud himself in mist, making himself invisible. Plus, of course, he's got a BFS. In a slight subversion of the Sorting Algorithm of Evil, Zabuza was far too strong for Naruto or Sasuke as they were at the beginning of the series to take on; they had to leave him to Kakashi.Zabuza attacked Team 7 twice during the Land of Waves arc, first with a collection of hirelings, then with his protege Haku. He battled Kakashi to a draw both times before Haku's Heroic Sacrifice caused him to turn on and kill his employer, Gato. He dies in the process, and asks to be buried along with Haku.In Shippuden, Sasuke takes Suigetsu to Zabuza's grave so that Suigetsu can take Zabuza's BFS. Much later, Kabuto resurrects him and Haku with Edo Tensei, and he is not the least bit happy about it. He is quickly defeated by Kakashi.
- Alas, Poor Villain: The earliest pure example in the series (though Haku also got a bit of this by default). He was a Shinobi molded by the Ninja system taught to suppress his emotions and view shinobi to be nothing more than tools. Unfortunately in his last moments, Zabuza realised how deeply he truly cared for Haku because of Naruto, he then sacrifices his life to kill Gatō, and dies wishing he could join Haku in the afterlife.
- Animal Battle Aura: He can focus his chakra / sheer Killing Intent into one. It looks like a demon, hence his epithet of "The Demon."
- Anti-Villain: His attitude as a mercenary was strictly professional, and the Mizukage he tried to overthrow wasn't exactly a good guy himself.
- Arc Villain: Although Gato is the driving force behind the antagonism, Zabuza serves as the main threat as a hired hitman of the "Land of Waves" arc.
- Back from the Dead: In the Fourth Shinobi World War, Zabuza was reincarnated by Kabuto Yakushi to fight against the Allied Shinobi Forces, infuriating Zabuza who did not want to obey someone who would stoop so low as to use the dead.
- BFS: Weapon of choice. It is named the Kubikiribōchō ("Decapitating Carving Knife").
- Bloodbath Villain Origin: Kirigakure held the practice of pitting academy students against each other in death matches as a final exam. When he was a kid he walked into the Academy graduation exam and killed every single one of the one hundred Academy students despite being untrained as a ninja. The practice was discontinued and he would thereafter be known as the "Demon of the Hidden Mist".
- Blood Magic: His sword regenerates and repairs itself using the iron in an enemy's blood.
- Contract on the Hitman: Gato hires a bunch of mercenaries to kill Zabuza, who has become a "liability". Backfires BIG time.
- The Cynic: His cynical view of the world consists of the used and the users, as well as viewing shinobi to be nothing more than tools. Despite this, Zabuza grew to care deeply for Haku and viewed him to be far more than a tool.
- Cynical Mentor: He raised Haku to be an efficient tool to be discarded when he had no use to exploit. Despite this, Zabuza grew to care deeply for Haku and viewed him to be far more than a tool.
- Deadly Graduation/Enfant Terrible: When he was a kid, he killed an entire graduating class of pre-genin, 100 total, despite not even being a student himself.
- Defiant to the End: Was initially going to do this with Kakashi. But then after Gato shows up and insults him by kicking a dead Haku's face and stating You Have Outlived Your Usefulness, he instead borrows a kunai from Naruto so that he could take out his former employer.
- Determinator: Even with his arms out of commission, he charges through a whole mob of hired thugs and cuts through them with nothing but a kunai held in his mouth just so he can get to and kill Gato; not even being stabbed from every angle is enough to impede him.
- Dragon-in-Chief: He is much stronger than Gato, the Big Bad of his arc, and carries much of the fighting.
- The Dreaded: Kakashi does seem a little fearful of him when they first meet. And at the end as he's dying with lots of weapons stuck into his back, his Death Glare is still enough to scare the henchmen hired by Gato into making room for see Haku one last time before finally keeling over.
- Emotion Suppression: He followed standard shinobi procedure and regarded ninja as tools to be used and discarded.
- Enemy Mine: As soon as Gato "cancels" his contract with Zabuza, the latter immediately ends his quarrel with Kakashi. He then borrows one of Naruto's kunai to take out his former employer. For their part, Naruto and Kakashi simply watch as Zabuza beelines towards Gato through all of his henchmen, surviving long enough to kill his former boss, and then to say goodbye to Haku one last time.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Expresses his disgust with Gato for double crossing him (and desecrating Haku's corpse), and is extremely pissed off because Kabuto brought him and several others back from the dead to use as mindless drones."This is bullshit, I don't want to fight for someone who would stoop this low."
- Excalibur in the Rust: The Legendary sword Kubikiribōchō is pretty much an oversized cleaver with a very slow Healing Factor. Compared to, say, Kisame's sword it can be a bit of a letdown until you see why it got the name.
- For the Evulz: He recalls the incident of slaying the academy students as fun.
- Genocide from the Inside: He wiped out 100 academy students within his own village as a child, and years later as an adult he attempted a failed coup d'état on the Mizukage.
- Handicapped Badass: Tears through Gato's army with his arms heavily damaged and unusable. By simply using a kunai in his mouth, along with his legs.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: One of the deadliest ninja in the Naruto-verse. And he is by using... mist, basic water ninjutsu, a relatively normal BFS, and well fined skulking. He's good enough with using the mist that Kabuto actually goes out of his way to make sure that the rest of the swordsmen act as meat shields so that he can keep the mist up.
- Hitman with a Heart: His realization towards the end of his life was that he deeply cared for Haku and wasn't the tool that he made him to be.
- Hungry Weapon: Kubikiribōchō uses the blood of enemies to repair itself.
- I Cannot Self-Terminate: Begs Kakashi to stop him and Haku as he feels his mind is being sealed away by Kabuto.
- Implausible Fencing Powers: He is a member of the seven swordman of the mist, but besides that, he was good enough to force Kakashi to face him with the Sharingan and killed dozens of Ninjas in seconds after being revived by Kabuto.
- Knight of Cerebus: The villains before him were an easily-defeated Jerkass intending to use Naruto and Ebisu, who's played for laughs and mostly harmless. The moment he and his minions show up, it's clear they intend to kill their opposition in cold blood.
- Lightning Bruiser: Able to keep up with Kakashi in their fight.
- Making a Splash: All of his jutsus are water style.
- Manly Tears: Displays some after Naruto berates him for thinking of Haku merely as a tool, and not as a human at all:Zabuza: You talk too much. Your words cut deep... deeper than any blade. While he fought you, his heart was breaking in two. You see, Haku was always too soft and too kind. He felt pain and sorrow, and now, curse him, I feel them, too!"
- Master Swordsman: As one of the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist, he's this.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Has them under his facial wraps.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: "Zabuza" means "never cut twice".
- No Sympathy: Responds to Haku's Heroic Sacrifice with a single Beat Panel of Stunned Silence, before smiling and mocking Kakashi, then commenting that he "sure chose a good tool" (i.e. Haku)... Ultimately averted, however, as Kakashi remarks that Zabuza is actually greatly affected by his loss. Most notably he hesitated to immediately cut through Haku to get to Kakashi.
- In part 2, when Kabuto made this an Invoked Trope, it triggered Kakashi's Let's Get Dangerous! moment. In short, Kabuto sacrificed Haku in order to prevent Kakashi's Lightning Blade from hitting Zabuza, only this time Zabuza unflinchingly cut Haku in two in order to get to Kakashi, making Kakashi realize what a desecration of the humans that Zabuza and Haku were in life the Impure World Resurrection really was by reducing them into emotionless tools.
- Not So Stoic: Shows this at the end of his life, as he notes that not even he can completely kill his emotions.
- Ominous Fog: The Hidden Mist Jutsu, which he used to perform his Silent Killing. By creating a thick mist, Zabuza could blind his targets, making it difficult for them to defend against him. In this manner, Zabuza was capable of carrying out stealthy attacks even in completely open spaces, able to suddenly disappear from an enemy's sight and then strike unseen. His skill with this jutsu was such that he could create an impenetrable mist without the need of an immediate source of water nearby.
- Only Mostly Dead: Suffers from a Faux Death thanks to Haku. Since the latter appeared to be hunting him down, Kakashi and the others think nothing of it at the time. But it's quickly revealed that Haku actually saved Zabuza from really being killed by Kakashi had he not intervened when he did.
- Pet the Dog: It's indicated he still treated Haku kindly enough despite claiming to see him as a mere tool.
- Professional Killer: He makes it clear that he has nothing against the people in his way; business is just business.
- Punch-Clock Villain: See above. The instant he's aware of Gato terminating his employment, he deadpans that he and Kakashi have nothing more to fight about.
- Rasputinian Death: There is a reason why he is the Poster Man of a Human Pincushion.
- Red Baron: "Kirigakure no Kijin" / The Demon of the Hidden Mist.
- Redemption Equals Death: When he realizes how much Haku meant to him, he charges Gato and his men, killing them but being mortally wounded in the process. His arms were both disabled, but he could still hold a kunai with his mouth to take out Gato.
- Self-Duplication: He could create water style clones, which he could maintain several of at the same time, often using them as diversions.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: To Haku, who he deemed as a weapon and tried to force him to kill his "heart"... but he was secretly proud of him all along.
- So Proud of You: To Haku at his last moments of life and done after the resurrection via Kakashi.
- Starter Villain: The first Jonin level threat that Team 7 encountered. He was, initially, a match for Kakashi and pushed the rest of Team 7 to undergo training to meet him a second time in battle.
- Stealth Expert: He specialized in stealth kills which he enforced with the Hidden Mist jutsu.
- The Svengali: His relationship with Haku. In death, he realizes Haku was much more to him.
- Taking You with Me: Pulls one of these on his traitorous employer Gato.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: He's the first genuine threat in the series, showing the Team 7 genin both how out-classed they are and also how brutal the ninja world can be.
- Weapon of Choice: Being one of the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist, he wielded a large blade known as the Kubikiribōchō.
- Weapon Tombstone: Until Suigetsu retrieved it. In the anime, it was pinched by a crime lord before Taka went after him to obtain it.
- Why Won't You Die?: The last words of Gato. Pretty Justified.
- Worthy Opponent: Considers Kakashi to be one. Acknowledges Naruto as one before his death.
Voiced by: Mayumi Asano (JP), Susan Dalian (EN), Carola Vázquez (Latin American Spanish), Ana Esther Alborg (Spain), Nathalie Hugo (French, original series), Marcha Van Boven (French, Shippuden)
I want to protect the person important to me... I want to work for that person. I want to fight for that person. I want to make that person's dream come true... That is my dream.
Zabuza's Battle Butler. An extreme case of Dude Looks Like a Lady (or maybe a Creepy Crossdresser; resulted in Unsettling Gender Reveal for Naruto).Haku was born in a cold village orphaned during the wars. At the time, there was a prejudice against people with kekkai genkai; unfortunately, Haku's mother had one, which he inherited.. When Haku's dad and the villagers learnt it, they killed Haku's mom and tried to kill him, but he killed them with his newfound powers instead and ran away. Zabuza encountered him and, thinking he might be useful, took him in and raised him. After only a few years, Haku was almost as good an assassin as Zabuza himself.An Anti-Villain, Haku serves Zabuza because he lacks any other sense of purpose in life, claiming to be nothing more than Zabuza's tool. Zabuza treats him as such.Haku's kekkai genkai, the one he got from his Missing Mom, allows him to fuse the water and wind elements to generate ice. He uses this ability to perform the devastating Demonic Ice Mirrors (Crystal Ice Mirrors in the dub) jutsu. Demonic Ice Mirrors generates a dome of mirrorlike panes of ice around his opponents, each with an image of Haku reflected in them. Haku can travel between the panes at high speed, attacking with needle-like senbon while in transit. The panes are all but indestructible, so Haku can fight defensively, avoiding damage and wearing his opponents down bit by bit. It takes the combined power of Sasuke's Sharingan developing and the Nine-Tailed Fox's chakra manifesting for the first time to break the mirrors.Haku first appears after Zabuza's first encounter with Team 7 disguised as a Mist Village "hunter-nin", claiming that he's been assigned to kill Zabuza for betraying the Village. In reality, however, Haku merely stunned Zabuza, allowing the pair to escape unharmed. He later appears to give Naruto some advice (since Haku was wearing a mask during their first encounter, Naruto didn't recognize him), and then again at the arc's climactic battle on the bridge, where he engages Naruto and Sasuke while Zabuza faces down Kakashi (and poor Sakura, uh, looks on helplessly, since she's stuck shielding Tazuna). After a lengthy battle, Haku jumps in front of Zabuza to protect him from Kakashi's Lightning Blade. Zabuza, realizing how much he valued Haku's companionship, ceases his pursuit of Tazuna and turns on Gato, killing him and lots of his minions in a desperate and badass Foe-Tossing Charge before he dies.Kabuto later resurrects him and Zabuza with Edo Tensei. He sacrifices himself (again) to prevent Kakashi from killing Zabuza (again).
- Anti-Villain: Probably the friendliest one you can find in Anime history.
- Apologetic Attacker: On occasion in games in the series.
- Artistic Age: Despite appearing almost younger than anyone in Team 7, he's actually 15.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: The sole reason he works for Zabuza was because he was nice to him while an orphan in a city. Though he knows Zabuza is just using him for his power, he was still taken care of while young.
- Blow You Away: One half of his Ice Release techniques, which fuses water and wind chakras together.
- Broken Bird: Broken after seeing his mother murdered by his father and having to kill said dad in self-defense, he then became a Street Urchin and wandered aimlessly until he was found by Zabuza Momochi. From then on Haku considered himself merely as a weapon for Zabuza's plans, and that ended up in tragedy.
- Creepy Crossdresser / Wholesome Crossdresser: His pink civvies cause Naruto to mistake him for a girl. (As for Creepy vs. Wholesome... he's an Anti-Villain, remember?)
- Cruel to Be Kind: How he "kills" Zabuza after the latter's first defeat against Kakashi. Zabuza later complains about getting hit in that particular area in his neck, but is thankful for being saved from really being killed by Kakashi if given the chance.
- Deadly Doctor: A more subtle example. He puts Zabuza into a fake death state with a thrown needle in order to trick Team 7. Later, in the bridge battle, he specifically only targets Sasuke in non-vital areas in an attempt to dissuade and not kill him. The obvious implication is that he could have gone for fatal shots from the start if he so chose.
- Death By A Thousand Cuts: Attempts to do this to Naruto and Sasuke. It almost works on the latter, but only serves to piss off Naruto to the point he has a Traumatic Superpower Awakening and suffers from a Curb-Stomp Battle as a result. Only when Naruto sees his face does his anger subside, recognizing him from an earlier encounter in the forest.
- Dies Wide Open: Kakashi closes his eyes.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Naruto says he's 'prettier than Sakura'. Doesn't help that he has long hair either.
- Flechette Storm: His Thousand Stinging Water Needles of Death which also serves as an example of Death In All Directions.
- Fragile Speedster: He's noticeably vulnerable provided you can catch him.
- Heroic Sacrifice: His self-assigned purpose is to serve and protect Zabuza, even if it costs him his life. Twice.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Is one of the few characters shown capable of using one-handed seals.
- An Ice Person: Courtesy of his kekkei genkai/bloodline limit: Ice Release.
- Kick the Dog: Has a literal example when he kicks one that's barking at him while digging through some garbage for discarded food. But his treatment by his father upon finding out about his abilities causes him to Go Mad from the Revelation. After killing his wife, he attempted to kill Haku, who then ends up killing them in self-defense.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: The fact that he's working with Zabuza is supposed to be a twist in his first appearance. Try telling that to anyone with even vague knowledge of the series and they'd probably laugh at you.
- Magic Mirror: His Demonic Crystal Ice Mirrors which serve as a Portal Network.
- Making a Splash: The other half of his Ice Release techniques.
- Malevolent Masked Man: Although his Anti-Villain status puts the his level of malevolency in question.
- Minor Major Character: Haku, for all intents, was the Starter Villain of series. He died during the first major arc. Despite this,he has been the major influence behind Naruto's personal code, a code which itself has been picked up by other characters in the series such as Hinata, Neji, and Gaara as well.
- Muggle–Mage Romance: Is the result of one.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: Assists Zabuza (sometimes contrary to his orders) even though he's a criminal, although he does put Sasuke into a death-like state rather than kill him.
- Nice Guy: You cannot find a more likable Anti-Villain if you tried - he even struck carefully during the fight with Sasuke and Naruto, so that he only hit certain vital points and didn't kill Sasuke. This after claiming he would "kill" his kind heart for Zabuza, too.
- Pressure Point: Specializes in hitting these with acupuncture needles and he can do this well enough to induce false death in the heat of battle.
- Reluctant Warrior: Tried to avoid killing Naruto and Sasuke if at all possible. Unfortunately neither one of them backed down, and continued to struggle, forcing him to weaken them to the point they couldn't get back up. And when he seemingly kills Sasuke, that only pisses off Naruto.
- Retcon: His physical traits changed noticeably in his Shippuden appearance. While already extremely androgynous or feminine-looking, the second appearance cranks this Up to Eleven, even going so far as changing flashbacks to his original debut in order to give him bigger, softer eyes, more feminine eyelashes, and even lipstick, for some reason.
- Rule 63: Female versions of Haku are very common in fanfiction.
- Self-Made Orphan: Killed his father in self-defense.
- Silk Hiding Steel: A rather odd example, considering that he is male.
- Sorting Algorithm of Evil: Haku is an aversion of this trope. The boys were majorly outclassed with this one — they were just lucky that he's a Technical Pacifist.
- Speed Blitz: While using the Demonic Ice Mirrors.
- Taking the Bullet: For Zabuza. Twice.
- Technical Pacifist: Finds it hard to kill people. Results in a lot of Faux Death at his hands.
- Undying Loyalty: To Zabuza, who sort of rescued him while he was an orphan struggling to survive in the city.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Drops one on a thoroughly confused Naruto.Haku: And by the way? I'm a man.
Naruto: NO WAAAAAAAY!
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Gender Flipped as he's a guy but let's list the other traits: loyal and submissive to Zabuza, kind and polite to others, strong inner iron, and works as a female ninja.
Voiced By: Yurika Hino (JP) Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (EN)
A very beautiful adult woman who is currently leader of the Village Hidden in the Mist and apparently relatively new to the position. She does not remember the previous leadership fondly. Tends to coddle her younger bodyguard.During the Kage Summit, she acts rather dodgy when asked about rumors that Akatsuki formed in her village, and when she finds out Danzo is capable of Mind Control she suspects him of using it on the previous Mizukage. She manages to nearly kill Sasuke during the meeting, and initially helped guard the daimyo of the Shinobi Countries. She then fights the revived Madara Uchiha alongside the other Kages, but despite their impressive teamwork they still end up losing to Madara's might.Years after the war comes to an end and during some point at the epilogue, Mei passes down her title to her former bodyguard Chojiro. Hilariously, she never finds a nice looking decent man, thus ensuring that she will forever grow up without ever marrying.
- Action Girl: A very efficient one, for a change.
- All There in the Manual: She is never addressed by her real name in-universe, only as "Lady Mizukage" or some other variant.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: In the Hidden Mist Village, the title of Mizukage is granted to the strongest ninja in the village, regardless of age or experience. As the Fifth Mizukage, she is the strongest active ninja of her village, and it shows when Madara Uchiha is wary of her techniques.
- Black Mage: She avoids getting in the thick of things preferring to unleash barrages of elemental ninjutsu from a distance.
- Berserk Button: The mere mention of anything regarding her age or relationship status, or lack thereof, within earshot. It doesn't even have to be directed or about her. It doesn't even have actually be a mention of age or relationships, but similar sounding words.
- Beware the Nice Ones: By far the nicest of the Kages, charming and affectionate. But as the Mizukage she is very formidable to the point where even Sasuke struggled to endure her wrath.
- Breath Weapon: She has various techniques which involve shooting things out of her mouth.
- The Chick: Of the Five Kages
- Christmas Cake: She takes issue with any comment even vaguely related to her age or ability to get married.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Part of her Lava Release jutsu.
- Dissonant Serenity: Maintains a smile on her face and a cheerful attitude even when making a death threat or trying to melt off someone face.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Several female fans do, but it's hard not to see why.
- Foil: One to Tsunade. They are both the 5th generation kage, women and Christmas Cakes. While Tsunade doesn't care, it's Mei's berserk button. Their fighting styles are opposite, Tsunade uses super strength, while Mei's uses her Kekkai Genkais. The most obvious is Tsunade is the Fire Shadow, while Mei is the Water shadow.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: She gracefully wipes a drop of dissolving goo she spat out from her mouth. It looks like it's white and kinda thick. It doesn't help that she looks hungrily at it and comments on Sasuke's handsomeness while doing so. Doesn't apply in the anime where the color shows she is wiping lava from her mouth.
- Formerly Fit: Mei put on some weight by the time Boruto's time, gaining Hartman Hips and a number of wrinkles as the years went by. Justified though, given how long after the original series the story takes place and the relative peace of the era.
- Hollywood Acid: Boil Release, which is a mix of Fire and Water.
- Impossibly-Low Neckline: If it wasn't for her chainmail, we could probably see her nipples... Though given the nature of chainmail, we probably already could.
- Lady of Black Magic: She's the in-universe equivalent of one as an older and elegant Kunoichi who uses powerful elemental Ninjutsu to attack from afar.
- Magma Woman: Lava Release, mix of Fire and Earth.
- Making a Splash: Part of her Boil Release jutsus.
- Meaningful Name: "Mei Terumi" actually means "Shining beauty".
- Mrs. Robinson: She spends her entire conversations with Sasuke pointing how he is at her taste − and let's not even mention the "mouth-wiping" scene. Sasuke is 17! She is also a bit too attentionate to Chōjūrō − not that the latter minds, really.
- Ms. Fanservice: Her incredible hotness is jokingly considered a bloodline limit in its own right on some forums.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Her left eye is often covered by her bangs.
- Playing with Fire: Part of her Lava Release and Boil Release jutsus.
- Pre-Asskicking One-Liner: To Sasuke, saying he is cute before melting freaking Susanoo with a single attack.
- Rapunzel Hair: It goes almost all the way down to the floor even though she's wearing it in a long top knot. She shortens it considerably in her later years.
- Superpowerful Genetics: Superpowerful enough to be blessed with two blood inheritances.
- Superpower Lottery: In addition to having control over three regular elements, she also has two bloodline limits each giving her another element.
- Story-Breaker Power: Her Boil Release managed to melt Susanoo in seconds making it the single strongest heat attack until now... and barely taxes her at all. Not even Madara Uchiha wanted to be anywhere near it.
- Twisting the Words: May take any random comment as a statement about her age or relationship status (or lack thereof), even if that person wasn't talking to or about her.Ao: What have you engaged for us to eat tonight? You have arranged our meals, Chojuro, haven't you?Mei: (thinking) Engaged... Engaged to be married?!
- You Need to Get Laid: Self-imposed and doubles as her Berserk button.
Voiced By: Tadahisa Saizen (JP) Steve Blum (EN), Philippe Résimont (French)
One of the Mizukage's body guards. Middle-aged and wears an eyepatch. Critical of his teammate Chojuro's indecisiveness, likely as a result of his upbringing during the time when the village was known as "the Blood Mist".When Mifune suggest Danzo to lead the inter-village effort against Akatsuki, Ao reveals that he has a Byakugan under his eyepatch and uses it to discover that Danzo's eye and arm are that of a ninja he previously fought named Shisui Uchiha, who had the ability to control others minds without their knowledge. He then goes after Danzo's group when they flee, but falls for Fu's trap, with Danzo not too happy about him possessing abilities taken from a Konoha ninja. He is eventually saved by the 5th Mizukage and Chojuro, and is currently serving in the Allied Shinobi Forces as captain of the Sensor Division.He was been killed by the Ten Tails' destruction of the Allied Shinobi Forces HQ, along with Inoichi and Shikaku. Or so it seemed.
- An Arm and a Leg: Lost his arm and leg in the Fourth Shinobi World war, replacing them with mechanical prosthetics.
- Artificial Limbs: Due to his injuries he received from the Ten-Tails' attack, Ao became a patient of Katasuke, who used Scientific Ninja Tools to rehabilitate him. Equipped with a prosthetic left leg and hand.
- Aura Vision: With the Byakugan he could determine if an individual was under the influence of genjutsu and distinguish chakra colours of certain individuals.
- Blood Knight: Ao also seems to possess a colder and battle-hungry side as he is accustomed to the ways of the "Bloody Mist Village". Even 16 years after the 4th Shinobi World War, he looks forward to taking part in combat for the first time.
- Cool Old Guy: He leaves this impression on Boruto after a conversation on a train.
- Crazy-Prepared: His paper-tag earrings, which have seals on them to protect his Byakugan from theft.
- Exotic Eye Designs: The Byakugan in his right eye which is a pupil-less white/silver eye.
- Eyepatch of Power: Conceals a Byakugan eye, which he received from a member of the Hyuga clan that he fought in battle. Thanks to the way the Byakugan works, he doesn't even have to remove the eyepatch to use it.
- Face–Heel Turn: Despite his previous loyalty to Kirigakure, he has not returned to the village since the war's end and has betrayed it to join Kara as an "Outer"...a sleeper agent in the Shinobi world.
- The Force Is Strong with This One: He was also a highly skilled sensor shinobi, a testament to which is that during the Fourth Shinobi World War he was appointed as the Captain of the Sensor Division of the Allied Shinobi Forces. With his sensory skills he could even pick out the reincarnated shinobi out of thousands of White Zetsu clones, a feat that his counterparts could not perform. Along with Inoichi Yamanaka, he was able to erect an immense Sensing Barrier, which allowed him to monitor the battle between the Allied Shinobi Forces and the White Zetsu Army. Ao counts among the few sensors that have shown the ability to sense natural energy.
- Geometric Magic: His sealed earrings.
- Grumpy Old Man: He believed that men should be tough and decisive, constantly scolding Chōjūrō for his pessimistic and weak demeanour. This attitude seemed to be caused by his upbringing during the times when Kirigakure was known as the "Village of the Bloody Mist". He had a tendency of bringing up how things were done during those days, usually while fussing over Chōjūrō's behaviour.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Awaiting imminent death of a tail beast bomb from the Ten Tails, Ao and the Sensor Division resolved to perform the duties they were assigned until the end, and were able to relay one last strategy before the attack reached HQ, destroying the building and killing everyone. He ended up being the Sole Survivor of the Sensor Division.
- Killed Off for Real: He is killed with the Sensor Division by the Ten Tails in the original series, but in the Boruto series it turns out he survived having lost most of the left side of his body.
- Magical Eye: Ao possessed a single Byakugan that he could activate at will, which he transplanted from a Hyūga clan member he defeated.
- Making a Splash: He has the Water Release and can perform water element jutsu due to being a ninja from the Hidden Mist Village.
- Old Soldier: Ao has fought on the battlefields ever since he was a young boy, and is a veteran of the 3rd and 4th Shinobi World War.
- Paper Talisman: His earrings which have a powerful sealing jutsu that form a barrier to protect his Byakugan.
- Prosthetic Limb Reveal: Due to his injuries he received from the Ten-Tails' attack, Ao became a patient of Katasuke, who used Scientific Ninja Tools to rehabilitate him. Equipped with a prosthetic left leg and hand, Ao could resume living a normal life.
- Returning War Vet: He's given a mission by the underground organization Kara 16 years after the 4th Shinobi World War.
- Sole Survivor: He is the sole survivor of the Sensor Division of the Allied Shinobi Forces which was wiped out by the Ten-Tails.
- Spanner in the Works: Ao has messed up a few villains' plans by sheer chance. He saw through the Genjutsu Tobi placed on the Fourth Mizukage Yagura, which led to the end of Yagura's bloody reign. He also uses his Byakugan to see through the genjutsu Danzo was using on Mifune to make himself head of the Shinobi alliance, resulting in Danzo fleeing the Kage Summit.
- Super Reflexes: When Fū trapped him in his Mind Puppet Switch Cursed Seal Technique, Fū attempted to retrieve the Byakugan by making Ao decapitate himself then switching back into his own body, however Ao warned Fū to time it carefully as too soon would allow Ao to dodge and too late would take Fū down as well. Before the true outcome could happen, the Mizukage and Chōjūrō intervened and saved Ao.
- Super Senses: He is a skilled sensor ninja who can sense the chakra of ninja and has a Byakugan in his right eye which contains abilities such as 360 degree vision and telescopic view.
- Took a Level in Cynic: After surviving the Fourth Shinobi World War, Ao has seemingly grown bitter and disillusioned with the Shinobi world. Despite his previous loyalty to Kirigakure, he has not returned to the village since the war's end and has betrayed it to join Kara as an "Outer".
- True Sight: The Byakugan in his right eye has the ability to pierce through visually disabling techniques and illusions. Using the Byakugan years previous, Ao was able to notice the genjutsu that controlled the 4th Mizukage. During the Kage Summit, he exposes Danzo's genjutsu on Mifune.
- Vein-O-Vision: The Byakugan in his right eye can see the chakra network and identify chakra points.
- Victor Gains Loser's Powers: During the Third Shinobi World War, he defeated a Hyūga member and took one of their Byakugan, which he implanted into his right eye socket.
- When I Was Your Age...: He had a tendency of bringing up how things were done during his days, usually while fussing over Chōjūrō's behaviour. Years after the 4th War, he meets Boruto and shares his experiences with him.
- Worthy Opponent: He considered Shisui Uchiha as one. At the Kage Summit, he was able to recognise Shisui's chakra from Danzo since it left an impression on him from an encounter.
- X-Ray Vision: The Byakugan in his right eye can see through solid objects, including the eyepatch he wears to conceal it.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: He has blue hair.
- Zen Survivor: After surviving the 4th Shinobi World War and losing two limbs, Ao has seemingly grown bitter and disillusioned with the Shinobi world. Despite his previous loyalty to Kirigakure, he has not returned to the village since the war's end.
Voiced By: Kouki Miyata (JP), Brian Beacock (EN)
Like Ao, he is another bodyguard to Mei Terumi, the 5th Mizukage. One of the 7 Swordsmen of the Mist. Now that Zabuza & Kisame are dead, the only real one left. Frequently annoys Ao because he stutters and seems to lack self-confidence.After accompanying the Mizukage to the Kage Summit, he is currently helping her guard the daimyo of the Shinobi Countries.He later becomes the Sixth Mizukage sometime after the War.
- Badass in Charge: Becomes the 6th Mizukage.
- Character Development: Grows more confident during the Fourth Shinobi World War.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Consistently chastised for his timid nature and indecisiveness, but when things get heated — or the Mizukage needs him — he's ready to rock.
- Drop the Hammer: His sword is a Morph Weapon that can turn into various other weapons, such as a big hammer made of chakra when released.
- Empathic Weapon: Per say. The more chakra Choujuro puts into his blade, the stronger it becomes. Hence, the more confidence he gains, and the more he thinks about protecting the Fifth Mizukage, the longer and bigger, and thus stronger, his weapon's forms become.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: As a kenjutsu practitioner, Chōjūrō wields a dual-handled sword called Hiramekarei, that is linked together at the handles by a chain.
- Likes Older Women: Has a crush on the older Mizukage. Her very peculiar attention to him does nothing to help.
- Master Swordsman: Only one of the Seven Shinobi Swordsmen to still be loyal to the Hidden Mist
- Meganekko: A male example.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Chojuro has pointed, shark-like teeth; a common trait of the members of the Seven Ninja Swordsmen of the Mist as well as apprentices share.
- Nerd Glasses: He wears square, black-rimmed glasses connected to ear protectors.
- Nice Guy: Chojuro is quite humble and friendly. Even when he's Mizukage.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Looks a bit like Chester Bennington.
- Shoot the Dog: Shizuma Hoshigaki claims he has eliminated all records of the Hoshigaki and Karatachi clans from history and has troublemakers interfering with his plans to peacefully modernize the Mist assassinated.
- Shrinking Violet: A lighter version, and a male example.
- Swiss Army Weapon: Hiramekarei can create an aura of different weapons out of chakra.
- Took a Level in Badass: From an awkward teenager to a confident warrior during the Fourth Shinobi World War. And then to Sixth Mizukage, one of the strongest shinobi in the world.
- Wave Motion Sword: Of the extended Laser Blade variety.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Chōjūrō has short, tufty blue hair.
Voiced by: Hideyuki Umezu (JP)
Charisma oozes out of people without eyebrows, you know! Hot-damn! I don't have eyebrows either!One of most powerful Shinobi, Gengetsu Hozuki, the Second Mizukage, was a respected leader of Kirigakure. He was killed during the last confrontation against the Second Tsuchikage Mu, killing him at the same time. Kabuto's Edo Tensei brought him back to life to face the Shinobi Alliance in the Fourth Shinobi World War. Besides being a very tall mustached man with large poofy hair, curious way of dressing and with no eyebrows, not much is known about him other than he was a Master of Illusion, a laid back and very charismatic leader concerned with the wellfare of the Secret World and that he loathed the Second Tsuchikage. It is revealed in chapter 556 that he was a member of the Hozuki clan, like Suigetsu and his brother. Uniquely to the former two his hydrification technique manifests itself in the form of producing an oily, water like substance.
- Arch-Enemy: To the 2nd Tsuchikage.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Like all kages.
- Badass Beard: Also possesses an awesome goatee.
- Berserk Button: While very laid back and charismatic, Mu could send him in a rage with only two words. He was also was pretty upset that the Shinobi army couldn't hurt him at all. Also doesn't like having his mustache called 'whiskers'.
- Black and Gray Morality: While he is morally ambiguous like other Shinobi, Mu's underhanded and selfish goals piss him off completely.
- Blood Knight: For all his unwillingness to fight and kill the Shinobi Alliance's ninjas, once Gaara showed up and turned out to pose a challenge, he admitted that the fighting was getting to be fun. A wee bit too fun, even.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Unlike the other two Kages, he managed to destroy "his" batallion, and Gaara is barely standing after facing him.
- Didn't See That Coming: His death at hands of Mu. He also was shocked that the Fourth Batallion could barely make him sweat.
- A Father to His Men: Stated to be this to his Shinobis during his reign and even after being brought back, he was more concerned with the fate of his subordinates than his own zombified self.
- Finger Gun: His water finger technique. It also serves as a Call-Back to Suigetsu's debut when he threatened Sasuke with the same technique.
- Friendly Enemy: Mu excluded, he is not above praising his enemies' power and abilities like being impressed and excited after seeing Gaara's sand attacks.
- Good Hair, Evil Hair: Played with. He looks like a Bond Villain waiting to happen, but he is deemed as a force of good in the Naruto verse, his forced slaughter of the Fourth Batallion notwithstanding.
- Having a Blast: His Infinite Explosion technique.
- I Cannot Self-Terminate: Even he is shocked how hard dying has come out to be.
- Implacable Man: The guy just refuses to stay sealed.
- Japanese Mythology: His Kuchiyose in form of the giant clam might come from a mythological shape-shifting dragon in said form, capable of creating the Fata Morganas, one of its invocation techniques.
- Jerkass Has a Point: He might frustrate the forces with his abilities, especially when he stops cooperating, but his reasoning is sound:"If you can't win against me using all of your abilities, that means you're less than dead old me, you fool! How are you gonna win against an enemy boss like that?!"
- Large Ham: He was having way more fun than any of the rest of the resurrected kages in his group."Charisma oozes out of people without eyebrows, you know!""Hot damn! I don't have eyebrows either!"
- Loyal Animal Companion: In the form of a giant clam.
- Making a Splash: His Water Release jutsus.
- Master of Illusion: His illusions operate in the same matter a real life mirage does. By summoning his clam, it creates a heavy, illusory mist that can create a 'false' Mizukage for the enemy to target. While the enemy tries to attack, all their attacks just pass through the mirage while the real Mizukage moves through the mist and attacks covertly. Due to the method of how the Genjutsu is cast, even entire teams of sensors couldn't pinpoint the real Mizukage and even with his explanation, the Mizukage still couldn't be hit. The only way to cancel the Genjutsu is to find and neutralize the clam...but since the clam also moves around in the illusion and creates its own mirages, it's a task easier said than done. Now if we take his Joki Boi (Infinite Explosions Technique), he's made into a nearly unbeatable ninja since he can hide in a mirage which is so broken that not even entire teams of sensors and possibly Dojutus users could find the real Mizukage and the Clam. Thus...when Joki Boi is created the real Mizukage, who'd be weakened by the Joki Boi's creation, could just sit back and let his little psycho clone attack while he's safe and sound. All and all, it's this ability that makes him the strongest of the Edo Kages, acknowledged in-universe.
- In a way, he's even better than Itachi is in genjutsu. True, his isn't as powerful as Tsukuyomi, but it's far more broken and subtle. All standard genjutsu breaking methods are useless against his genjutsu, and there's a chance that even Dojutsu can't see through it due to being blinded like the mist like the Hidden Mist Technique could.
- Mutual Kill: He and the second Tsuchikage Mu both met their end this way.
- The Nicknamer: Calls Gaara "Mr. No-eyebrows" (while this could totally apply to himself).
- One-Man Army: He destroyed the entire Fourth Batallion, and gave a hard fight to Gaara and Oonoki.
- Obviously Evil: Subverted, he's arguably the nicest and cheeriest of the 4 zombie kage.
- Sharp Dressed Man: Shinobi style.
- Springtime for Hitler: He tried so very hard to lose, giving the Shinobi Alliance as many hints and tips as possible on how to defeat him. He slaughtered them all. He was not amused.
- Stealth Mentor: Takes up this role when fighting Gaara, believing that if he can't defeat him in zombie mode, a victory against the Big Bad wouldn't be possible either. His efforts finally pay off.
- Verbal Tic: A tendency to end his sentences with "maji de" (seriously/for real).
- World's Strongest Man: Acknowledged in Universe by Gaara to be the strongest of the resurrected Kages.
Real Name: Yagura
Seven Ninja Swordsmen of The Mist
Seven Ninja Swordsmen of The MistThe Seven Ninja Swordsmen of the Mist are a group of the most powerful and skilled swordsmen in Mist, each of whom wields one of seven powerful swords (passed down in Kiri). Of all the known members, which also included Zabusa and Kisame, Chojuro is the sole surviving official member. Meanwhile, Mangetsu Hozuki's younger brother, Suigestu Hozuki, dreams of collecting all their swords and reforming the group once again.
- Armor-Piercing Attack: Jinin's Kabutowari specializes in this type of attack. He uses the axe to get his opponent to block and the hammer to propel the axe through his opponent's guard
- Ax-Crazy: Some of 'em are freaking lunatics.
- Back from the Dead: The most recent generation of the Seven Swordsmen were revived by Kabuto to fight in the 4rd World War.
- Blood Knight: All of them, apart from Chojuro. It's implied the Fourth Mizukage or rather Tobi encouraged this behavior.
- Cool Mask: Kushimaru Kuriarare wears one.
- Cool Sword: Being the symbols of their group, each of the Seven Swordsmen have swords with all kinds of crazy abilities or which are otherwise very exotic in design.
- Dual Wielding: The Kiba is actually two separate blades.
- Fallen Hero: A great deal of them became treacherous missing nins.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Well, duh. They were at least considered heroes by their home, Kiri.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Kushimaru and Jinpachi's endless bickering, not to mention Akebino Jinin's sword that breaks any defense? Not helplful when he's trying to use it to anchor himself to the ground.
- Ill Girl: Ameyuri Ringo died from her incurable disease in the anime.
- Large and in Charge: Fuguki Suikazan is even bigger than Kisame.
- Making a Splash: It's a specialty of their village, so several of them use Water Release jutsus.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: All of them, even shy little Chujoro, have mouths full of shark-like teeth.
- Prehensile Hair: Fuguki Suikazan uses his hair to make deadly needles and impale enemies.
- Shock and Awe: Ameyuri Ringo's Kiba swords use lightning to attack.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Post revival. Some of them REALLY don't like eachother, but have to fight together regardless. Kushimaru and Jinpachi outright hate one another.
- The Smurfette Principle: Ameyuri Ringo's the only known female.
- Theme Naming: All of their surnames are based on some form of produce.
- Worthy Opponent: Zabuza to Kakashi and Naruto, Kisame to Guy, Ameyuri Ringo to Omoi.
- You Kill It, You Bought It: Often, their swords would be passed down to the person who killed them, who would take their place in the group.
Voiced By: Keiji Fujiwara (JP), Roger Craig Smith (EN), Tony Beck (French)Raiga Kurosuki (黒鋤雷牙, Kurosuki Raiga) was a former member of Kirigakure's Seven Ninja Swordsmen of the Mist introduced in an anime filler arc, and the current owner of the Kiba double lightning sword. During his life in Kirikagure, Raiga was a very tormented, cruel, and lonely individual looking for the meaning of life. During a raid on a village, Raiga finds a boy with health problems named Ranmaru. Ranmaru is the possessor of a rare Bloodline Limit which can create very powerful illusions (enough to even fool the Hyuga Clan's Byakugan) and see through things.
- Blue and Orange Morality: He doesn't really hate most people he kills, he just thinks that funerals are the best way to see the good in people.
- Canon Foreigner: While his swords were eventually made canon, no mention is made of him when Kabuto revives the Seven Swordsmen until...
- Canon Immigrant: Chapter 669 where Raiga himself does end up making a cameo wielding the Kiba swords, making him the only character to first appear in the anime before being added to the manga.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: During his days in Kirigakure, he found one when he met Ranmaru.
- Driven to Suicide: Eventually, what losing Ranmaru does to him. He lets Naruto beat him before killing himself.
- Morality Pet: His relationship with Ranmaru resembles Zabuza's relationship with Haku.
- Not Quite Dead: After his first defeat.
- Shock and Awe: In addition to normal Lightning Style techniques, he has limited control over "actual lightning".
- Tender Tears: He likes funerals because he always remembers the good sides of the dead, crying sincerely while doing so.
- Unstoppable Rage: When Naruto's team make Ranmaru realize that there is other things to do in life than travelling with Raiga.