Characters: Mage Winds And Mage Storms
This subsection of the Heralds of Valdemar Character Sheet
covers the Mage Winds
and Mage Storms
Princess Elspeth and Grove-born Companion Gwena
- Abdicate the Throne: In Winds of Fury, in order to better fulfill her responsibilities as the first Herald-Mage since Vanyel.
- Action Girl
- Knife Nut: Skif taught Elspeth how to throw knives. She demonstrates on Lord Orthallen in Arrow's Fall, and continues to carry hidden knives on her person in subsequent books, to the point that Kerowyn tells her (at the beginning of Winds of Fate) that she shouldn't rely on them too much because everyone knows she has them.
- Magic Knight
- Phrase Catcher: In Winds of Fury, she is repeatedly greeted with "We thought you were dead," to the point that her traveling companions start calling it "the standard greeting".
- Royal Brat: Until Talia civilizes her
- Royals Who Actually Do Something
- Secret Legacy: Is a descendant of Vanyel
- The Unfavorite: Starts off as this, because she strongly resembles her father.
A Tayledras Scout for k'Sheyna vale, which he calls his home. He is bitter and cynical, mostly because of his father.
A proud and arrogant young Tayledras Healing-Adept, initially called in from k'Treva Vale to k'Sheyna to assist with the Heartstone there. He becomes involved in Elspeth's training as a mage, and with the fate of Valdemar.
- The Ace: He's just that awesome.
- The Archmage: He's pretty much the best mage in the world at the moment. Mess with him at your own risk.
- The Beard: He offered an inversion of the standard use to Darkwind and Elspeth in Winds of Fury: pretending to be the man's lover so people would think the woman could be in no way involved with him.
- Bishounen: Extremely.
- Bond Creatures: Aya, his Firebird.
- Camp Gay: He is shaych and proud of it.
- Cool Mask: starts wearing masks, each one cooler than the last, when he gets his scars at the end of Storm Breaking.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: For An'desha when the Mage Storms were messing with his head. To put it into perspective, he once considered killing Karal, An'desha's Heterosexual Life Partner, because he thought they were having an affair behind his back, even when there was ample evidence that Karal liked Natoli and neither he nor An'desha liked each other that way.
- Even the Guys Want Him: And he's happy with that.
- The Fashionista: He loves fashion, and always has to make a statement.
- Fisher Kingdom: As a Healing-Adept, the state of the environment can affect his emotions. When the mage storms happened, it made him psycho....
- Happily Married: Practically married to Silverfox, and very contented with his life.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: When he was young he could be a bit of an arrogant prick, but he always had good intentions and as he got older, he got better.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: Came very close to turning into another Ma'ar, but stopped before he took the final plunge. Again, the slope was extra-greasy because of the Mage Storms.
- Older and Wiser: In Darian's Tale and even in Storm Breaking. Silverfox had a lot to do with the change.
- Power Levels: He's an Adept. A Healing-Adept to be specific.
- Scars Are Forever: The burns on his face and arms from saving the world in the last Mage-Storm wave.
- Superpowerful Genetics: Remember these twins Vanyel sired in k'Treva ? The boy is his ancestor.
- Yaoi Guys: With An'desha for a time, and later with Silverfox. Darkwind and him sometimes joke about something being between them.
Treyvan And Hydona
Two gryphons who live outside of k'Sheyna vale. They are surrogate parents to Darkwind k'Sheyna.
- Mama Bear and Papa Wolf: Although Hydona is a bit more protective of her offspring than Treyvan, they are still willing to do anything for the sake of their gryphlets.
- Snake Talk: Because of the gryphon vocal anatomy.
- Trrrilling Rrrs: Because of the gryphon vocal anatomy.
Darkwind k'Sheyna's father, an extremely distant man who alienates his sons in order to protect them from Mornelithe Falconsbane's influence over him.
Herald Skif and Companion Cymry
See entry on the Arrows Trilogy And Related Books
A magical sword that has been around since before the Mage Wars
, dedicated to helping and protecting women in need. The sword previously appeared in the Vows and Honor
books and in By the Sword
, but only in Mage Winds
does she regain full sentience, revealing that she was originally a priestess who sacrificed herself to bind her own spirit to an enchanted sword
Mornelithe Falconsbane, aka Ma'ar
- Older Than She Looks: Seems to be around Ancar's age, but is at least old enough to be his grandmother.
An'desha shena Jor'ethan
The half Shin'a'in, half outblood descendant of Ma'ar. The body that Ma'ar possessed in order to become Mornelithe Falconsbane belongs to him, and thanks to the events of the Mage Winds trilogy he eventually reclaims it and his life
- Animal Eyes
- Bad Powers, Good People: He still has access to all of Ma'ar's magic. He uses this knowledge to fight the Final Storm and prevent a second Cataclysm.
- Character Development: Probably undergoes the most character development of anyone in all the books save maybe Elspeth. He goes from being a complete coward, whiny and pathetic who is co-dependent upon Firesong and becomes confident in himself and a powerful mage who will backtalk Firesong to his face, and that takes balls.
- Demonic Possession: His body is taken over by Ma'ar, which Karal equates with Demonic Possession.
- Fighting from the Inside: An'desha in Winds of Fury as he helps destroy Ma'ar while trapped in his own mind.
- Green Thumb: Shows a particular affinity and liking for growing plants.
- Hellish Pupils: Even after the Star-Eyed returns his body to how it was (mostly) before Falconsbane transformed it, he still has slitted eyes like a cats.
- Heroic BSOD: After returning to his previous form and being freed from Falconsbane, he is constantly afraid he will turn back into him somehow, basically wallowing in his own patheticness and depression.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Karal, they are best friends with no sexual attraction between them.
- Mixed Ancestry: Half Shin'a'in, half outblood.
- Pals with Jesus: He is basically best friends with his Goddess's Avatars.
- Power Levels: He's an Adept. A Sorcerer-Adept, which presumedly means he can create life or something.
- Shrinking Violet: Before meeting Karal and his character development sets in.
- Two Guys and a Girl: With Karal and Natoli.
Avatars Dawnfire And Tre'valen
Two victims of Falconsbane who the Star-Eyed allowed to live on as her Avatars, able to appear on the Moonpaths and to take the shape of fiery vorcel-hawks. Dawnfire used to be a Tayledras scout and Tre'valen was a shaman of the Shin'a'in who fell in love with Dawnfire after she was trapped within the body of her bondbird.
Son Of The Sun Solaris
- Meaningful Name: "Solaris" is Latin for "Of the sun"
- Modest Royalty: Is this in private, would be this in public if not for the episcopal pomp required by her position.
- She Is the King: Is the High Priest and Son of the Sun, not High Priestess or Daughter of the Sun
The hero of the Mage Storm series, Karal is a young Karsite priest who was assigned to be the assistant and secretary of to the Karsite Ambassador, his mentor Sun-Priest Ulrich. He is a Channel, meaning he can act as a siphon for magical power but can't use magic himself.
- Badass Bookworm: Very much so.
- Badass Preacher: He's a priest, he saved the world. Tell me that doesn't make him a Badass Priest.
- Bond Creature: With Altra, his Firecat. They aren't bonded like companions are, but were more or less assigned ot each other by Vkandis none the less.
- Brown Eyes
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Referred to in story as "Karal's Lost Puppy Eyes", and used on Florian at least once.
- The Confidant: To An'desha
- Good Shepherd: He is a very good, kind priest who walks-the-walk, talks-the-talk and actually helps people, unlike most Valdemarans' views of Sunpriests.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With An'desha who is his best friend, and you could say Altra as well.
- Mediator: tries to be this, and it's not for lack of trying his part when he fails.
- Nice Guy: He is ridiculously nice, partly because he's a priest, partly because it's just how he is.
- Non-Action Guy: He's in the thick of everything, but he's not exactly about to whip out a sword and start slashing people, quite the opposite actually. While he does get self-defense training, it's all of the 'Keep yourself alive until you get an opportunity to run away' nature.
- Two Guys and a Girl: With Natoli and An'desha.
A Firecat and hence the Karsite equivalent of a Companion, Altra was a Son of the Sun during his life and, at the order of Vkandis, was assigned to protect and guide Karal.
- Bond Creature: With Karal. After Karal becomes blind, he uses his mindlink with Altra to see.
- Cats Are Magic: Is a Master level mage, so is one step beneath Adept in power.
- Cats Are Superior: Though in this case, since Altra was previously a Son of the Sun, he does technically outrank Karal by quite a margin.
- Intellectual Animal
- Noodle Incident: Upon learning Altra's name, Karal thinks "Wasn't that the name of the Son of the Sun who—?" It is never revealed what Son of the Sun Altra did that was so signficant.
The first Karsite ambassador and a (formerly) black-robed Sun-Priest, and The Obi-Wan
Grand Duke Tremaine