Characters: Arrows Trilogy And Related Books
This subsection of the Heralds of Valdemar Character Sheet covers the original Heralds of Valdemar trilogy (commonly known as the "Arrows" trilogy), as well as the stand-alone novels Take a Thief and By the Sword.
Herald Skif and Companion Cymry
- Blood Brothers: With Talia.
- Good Feels Good: Realizes this after becoming a Herald.
- Interspecies Romance: With Nyara, sort of. (She's actually human, but extensively modified.)
- Knife Nut: Especially with throwing knives, which go exactly where he wants to put them.
- Like Brother and Sister: Talia again.
- Lovable Rogue: In the Arrows books and Take a Thief. Not so much in Mage Winds.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Skif gets a certain amount of teasing from the other male Trainees over his chore assignments of laundry and mending. (Both of which he learned during his thief days.) They stop teasing him when he points out he's the only male in a room full of women.
- Reformed Criminal
- Street Urchin
Herald Talia and Grove-born Companion Rolan
- Better as Friends: With Kris. Played with between her and Skif; they're so much better as friends that they don't even manage to get a romance off the ground to start with — they fall asleep at every attempt. Talia silently smiles as rumors circulate, knowing that Skif would never live it down if the truth ever came out.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Being an empath means she can heal your angst and trauma, as she does for her friends and people in need. It also means that she can destroy your mind, and if she thinks she should do it, she will.
- Blood Brothers: With Skif, after a very brief and completely failed try at a teenage romance.
- Bookworm: One thing that puts her at odds with her family is the fact that she's always skipping chores to read books. She also snuck in to her father's library on full moon nights to read. At one point she was afraid that she'd been found out for it, only to be told by her father's wives that as she was now thirteen, a marriage would be arranged for her.
- The Confidant: Part of her job as Queen's Own.
- Dirty Mind-Reading/Sex by Proxy: Unavoidably, due to her empathy and the fact that Rolan is, ahem, quite a mare's stallion.
- The Empath: Her magical power. She can sense emotion and act as a Living Lie Detector in local disputes, but she can also influence other people's mental state.
- Fish out of Water: Since her people are kind of a Wacky Wayside Tribe to Valdemar as a whole, she's totally out of her depth when she gets to the Collegium.
- Heroic BSOD
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: The tiny girl to Dirk's huge guy.
- Honest Advisor: Part of her job as Queen's Own.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Inflicted by Rolan on Talia twice. The first time, it was a temporary measure to get Talia to Haven without a mental breakdown. The second time, it was because Talia saw something she shouldn't have and that could lead her to discover a lot of the Companions' secrets prematurely.
- Like Brother and Sister: With both Skif and Kris.
- May-December Romance: she's 19-20, Dirk is in his mid-30s.
- Mindlink Mates: With Dirk.
- Mind Rape: In an unusual heroic example, Talia inflicts Mind Rape as a punishment on a few select people who deserved it.
- Never Accepted in His Hometown: She is completely disowned by her Holding for "running away" and getting Chosen as a Herald.
- Noodle Incident: Only sort of. She undertook a diplomatic mission to Karse, befriended Solaris, and was named an honorary Sun Priest. The details are in the story Sun in Glory in the anthology of the same name.
- Older and Wiser: In the Mage Winds.
- Power Incontinence: In Arrow's Flight, her Gift goes completely out of control.
- Rape as Drama: In Arrow's Fall, she is tortured and raped in prison for an extended period.
- Runaway FiancÚ: At first.
- Shrinking Violet: Initially. She grows out of it with time and Character Development.
- Silk Hiding Steel: Becoming this.
- The Voiceless: Rolan. He can Mindspeak anyone he chooses, but like most Companions he pretends he can't, and since Talia's Gift is empathy rather than Mindspeech, Rolan is only seen to speak three times in the series - once when he Chooses Talia, and twice to Dirk in Arrow's Fall.
- When She Smiles
- Wise Beyond Their Years
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: A good chunk of the plot in Arrow's Flight is her learning this.
Herald Kris and Companion Tantris
- Better as Friends: With Talia
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Dirk.
- Like Brother and Sister: With Talia.
- Sacrificial Lion: In Arrow's Fall.
Herald Dirk and Companion Ahrodie
- Drowning My Sorrows: Does this in Arrow's Fall out of guilt.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Kris.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: With Talia.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Tries to pull this. It ends poorly.
- Love at First Sight: He and Talia, as with all Lifebonded couples.
- Mindlink Mates: With Talia.
- The Confidant: Confidant, close personal friend, and high-ranking adviser to Queen Selenay, her father King Sendar, and her grandfather King Roald. A powerful adviser dedicated to furthering Valdemar's interests (or so everyone believes).
- The Chessmaster
- Evil Chancellor: Close personal friend and high-ranking adviser to three generations of the Royal House... while plotting against them all along.
- Man Behind the Man: Was shooting for this.
Herald Keren and Companion Dantris
- Big Sister Mentor: Partly this and partly Parental Substitute for Talia.
- Born in the Saddle: Keren is acknowledged by all the Heraldic Circle to be far and away the best equestrian among them.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Talia.
- Meaningful Name: 'Keren' is a Hebrew name which means "ray of light".
- Mindlink Mates: With Herald Ylsa, then Herald Sherril after Ylsa's death.
- Parental Substitute: Combines this and Big Sister Mentor for Talia.
- Psychologist Teacher: It's Keren who breaks through Talia's walls, and she remains Talia's main counselor and confidant throughout the Arrows trilogy.
Herald Jadus and Companion Fortunea
- Magic Music: Jadus came to the Collegium as a Bardic Trainee.
- Retired Badass: Formerly a field Herald and the King's bodyguard.
Herald-Captain Kerowyn and Companion Sayvil
- Action Girl
- Better as Friends: With Daren.
- The Chains of Commanding
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Embarrassing Rescue: Her story began when she rescues her brother's fiancee; while Dierna is certainly grateful to be rescued, the aftermath proves highly uncomfortable for everyone.
- Famed In-Story: Her early adventures were turned into a song which dogs her throughout the rest of her career, to her distinct chagrin. It doesn't help that she has perfect pitch, and not all of the people who perform that song in her honor are all that good at singing.
- Fights Like a Normal: Is a Mindspeaker, but until she is Chosen she rarely uses the ability, feeling it would make others distrust her. Also wields Need, but does her best not to rely on Need's abilities.
- Glad-to-Be-Alive Sex: She and Eldan begin their relationship with an After-Action Patch-Up. Kero lampshades the trope in the process, acknowledging that she's felt the impulse plenty of times before, this is just the first time it's happened in the vicinity of someone she wouldn't mind waking up with.
- Good Is Not Nice
- Insignia Ripoff Ritual: She performs the self-inflicted "I quit" version halfway through By The Sword.
- Mindlink Mates: Both played straight and averted. She and Eldan can speak mind-to-mind, and can open their minds to each other while making love, but they are not lifebonded.
- Mind Over Manners: Kero scrupulously avoids using her mindspeech whenever possible out of fear that her fellow mercenaries won't be able to trust her otherwise.
- Older and Wiser: In and after the Mage Winds trilogy.
- Poor Communication Kills: Nearly. In a non-romantic example, her fellow Skybolts were trying to tell her they'd deposed the abusive former Captain and promoted her. She assumed they were agents of said Captain out to arrest her and fled accordingly.
- Secret Legacy: Her mother was a Black Sheep among Kethry's children and her father disliked mages, causing her to pretty much grow up unaware of her Shin'a'in relatives until the events of By the Sword kick in.
- Talking in Your Dreams: With Eldan, for over ten years.
Prince Daren and Companion Jasan
- Babies Ever After: Once he and Selenay meet, they are parents within a year. Of twins.
- Better as Friends: With Kerowyn.
- Hot-Blooded: As a young man.
- Love at First Sight: With Selenay.
- Mindlink Mates: With Selenay.
- Royal Brat: At first. He grows out of it.
- Sheltered Aristocrat: When he initially shows up in By the Sword; Tarma and Kerowyn between them take care of that.
- Unto Us a Son and Daughter Are Born
Herald Eldan and Companion Ratha
- Animal Eye Spy: A skill of Eldan's, made possible by a special form of telepathy.
- The Determinator: Like all Heralds. He also never, ever gives up on Kerowyn and finds ways to stay in contact with her.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Appears (by description only) in Arrow's Flight, sitting beside Selenay at the Heralds' party celebrating Elspeth's Choosing by Gwena.
- I Will Wait for You: A subtle example; he never took up with anyone else after Kerowyn.
- Skunk Stripe: A streak of white hair at each temple.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: His MindSpeech works on animals as well as humans.
- Talking in Your Dreams: With Kerowyn, for over ten years. She isn't too pleased to find out they weren't just dreams.