This subsection of the Heralds of Valdemar Character Sheet
covers the characters featured in the Exile
Queen Selenay and Companion Caryo
Weaponsmaster Alberich and Companion Kantor
The weapons master has no heart; his hide is iron cold
His soul within that hide is steel or so I have been told—
- Adorkable: He is scary as all hell — until he falls flat on his face in love, at which point he turns into a clueless, adorkable schoolboy.
- Combat Pragmatist
- Complaining About Rescues They Don't Like: Has been both the rescuer and the rescued.
- Defector from Decadence: Was a successful captain in the enemy's army before he became a Herald.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: The Weaponmaster fits the "the more you will hate me, the more you will learn" line to a tee, and quotes it (in slightly different words and Karsite syntax) at one point. Of course, he embodies the positive side of the trope rather than the negative.
- Dual Wielding
- Good Is Not Nice: His teaching philosophy.
- Master of Disguise
- Master Swordsman: Until Kerowyn shows up, he's the finest swordsman in Valdemar.
- No Guy Wants to Be Chased: Hilariously averted. Kantor outright tells Myste that she has to make the first move, because otherwise he'd never make one at all.
- Only One Name: His parents were not married (to each other), therefore Alberich has only a personal name — last names, like lineage, come from the father in Karse.
- Sadist Teacher / Stern Teacher: Lackey's song The Face Within is framed as a debate between these two views regarding Alberich. He has to be tougher on his students than any possible enemy... and he has to steel himself for the possibility that it won't be enough.
- Strange Syntax Speaker: Valdemaran vocabulary, Karsite grammar.
- Eloquent In My Native Tongue: When he's using Mindspeech, Lackey writes it as normal grammar. Since Mindspeech acts as a universal language in this setting, he would be thinking in grammatical Karsite and being heard (by Valdemarans) in grammatical Valdemaran.
Herald Chronicler Myste and Companion Aleirian
King's/Queen's Own Herald Talamir and Grove-born Companions Taver/Rolan
- The Confidant: Talamir is this for Sendar and is supposed to be this for Selenay... but in practice, as a man of advancing years he finds it difficult to connect with and properly advise a much younger woman.
- Honest Advisor: Again, Talamir is this for Sendar and is supposed to be this for Selenay.
King Sendar and Companion Lorenil
See entry on the Arrows Trilogy And Related Books