Characters: Collegium Chronicles
This subsection of the Heralds of Valdemar Character Sheet deals with the characters of the Collegium Chronicles and the Herald Spy books.
Herald Trainee Mags and Companion Dallen
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Living Lie Detector: Can sense truth or lies with just his Gift, without resorting to the Truth-Spell.
- Made a Slave: From infancy, pretty much.
- Mind Control: He is a strong enough Mindspeaker to actually take control of an opponent. This completely exhausts him, and he will only do so with Dallen's permission.
- Nonchalant Dodge: Mags was already proficient in this when he was Chosen, it was the only form of self-defense that was safe for him to use while a mine-slave.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He's literally under orders to make himself seem dumber than he actually is to anyone who isn't part of of his close circle or Nikolas' network. That includes playing sports in part to have people assume that he's Dumb Muscle.
- Teen Superspy
- Telepathy: He is the strongest Mindspeaker yet shown in the books.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Pocket pies for Dallen, cheese for Mags.
Healer Trainee Bear
- Arranged Marriage: He went home for the holidays to find himself already betrothed. Borders on the forced marriage version, though this is illegal in Valdemar — his family has no interest in his desires.
- Elopement: He gets out of the arranged marriage by eloping with Lena (who he is in love with), though he does ask Mags's advice before doing so.
- Muggles Do It Better: Born without Healing Hands, Bear studied up on herb-lore and mundane medicine instead, and these skills are a lot better for certain problems than the Gift.
- Put on a Bus: With Lena, between Bastion and Closer to Home.
- Why Couldn't You Be Different?: Born totally without a healing gift to a line that had it for generations.
- You're Not My Father: He cuts all bridges with his father after getting married.
Bardic Trainee LenaMags' first friend
- Elopement: She elopes with Bear, whom she loves and has the added bonus of getting him out of his Arranged Marriage.
- Magic Music
- Put on a Bus: With Bear, between Bastion and Closer to Home.
- "Well Done, Daughter" Girl
King's Own Herald Amily
- Animal Eye Spy: Develops this gift somewhere between the end of Bastion and the start of Closer to Home.
- Disabled Love Interest: For Mags. While she averts some of the trope's stereotypes, she still has a bad leg until the end of Changes.
- Took a Level in Badass: In Bastion.
King's Own Herald Nikolas and second Companion Evory
- Back from the Dead: In Closer to Home, he drowns. The Death Bell rings. Rolan chooses Amily. Then, Mags successfully resuscitates him.
- Overprotective Dad: Invoked by Nikolas — he tells several Heralds that he's spending time with Mags because Mags is interested in Amily. (Which he is, but it's a convenient cover for what's really going on.)
- Renowned Selective Mentor: To Mags; the only reason none of the other Trainees is jealous is because both Nikolas and Mags are careful to hide the relationship.
- King Incognito: Mags first runs into him in the Companion stables and mistakes him for a random yet familiar Herald. Two of his features give his identity away if you remember that the king of the time was just two or three generations removed from Vanyel and that dark brown was the signature royal family hair color in The Last Herald-Mage.
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: Vanyel's eye color is alive and well in him.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Special mention for the end of Intrigues.
Tobias MarchandLena's father
- Bad Samaritan: He takes in protegés from time to time to steal their work.
- The Empath: With a twist: he can impose feelings on other people with ease, but has little in way to reading him.
- Gold Digger: Suggested to be the reason he married Lena's mother. And also the reason he gave information to the assassins.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: At some point, he starts telling people that he suspects that Lena is not his daughter due to not thinking of her as a good connection at the time. However, people quickly point out that 1) Given the way he's been treating Lena, she could be happier to not be associated with him and 2) That would mean that his wife isn't faithful to him.
- Jerkass: Quite possibly the worse there has ever been among the "good" guys. And again, he was the one giving info to the assassins just because he needed the money.
- Magic Music
- Parental Neglect: Towards Lena.
- Reassigned to Antarctica: At the end of Changes, after being found out to be stealing his protegé's work and one of the people who was informing the assassins.
Violetta of House Chendar
- Break the Cutie: She comes to Haven as the innocent, naive, indulged youngest daughter. Once there, she sees a very attractive young man and sends him a note. He turns out to be the son of her father's worst enemy, and the noble lady who is sponsoring the family makes it very clear what an unscrupulous young man could do with the note she sent. Brand then seduces her, deflowers her, and tries to kill her family. When placed under the truth spell, he makes it clear he never cared for her and just planned to use her while keeping a woman on the side. Then she has to testify during the inquest into his death, and have at least some of her humiliation made public.
- Fourth Date Marriage: What she and Brand plan.
- Friend to All Living Things: She loves animals and has several pets at the family estate. She's the only one of her sisters to want the lapdog specifically bred to function as a muff warmer when offered.
- In Love with Love: She's very much the romantic of the family. While her sisters plan their marriages for advantages (one wants an old man so she will soon be a wealthy widow, the other wants a rich man who is involved in either textiles or jewelry), she dreams of a young man sweeping her off her feet for romance.
- Love at First Sight: She writes a love letter to Brand before even knowing his name.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: She considers herself and Brand to be this. He had other ideas.
- Thinks Like a Romance Novel: Constantly thinks about how this is just like a tale or a song.
Brand of House Raeylen
- Casanova: Seems to be quite skilled at seducing the ladies.
- Child Marriage Veto: Plans to use one of these to avoid marrying Violetta's sister. By killing his family, and hers.
- False Soulmate: He does not return Violetta's feelings, and just plans on using her.
- Fourth Date Marriage: Plans to do this with Violetta.
- Manipulative Bastard: Uses Violetta's feelings for him to get what he wants out of her.
- Self-Made Orphan: He plans to become one, so he can inherit his father's estate.
- The Sociopath: He cares nothing for his family, their honor, or anyone else. His only interests are his own comfort and the ability to have a lover.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Is described this way.