Characters: Detective Conan Core Recurring Characters
open/close all folders
Dr. Hiroshi Agasa
Voiced by Kenichi Ogata (JP)
, Guillermo Romano (first Latin American Spanish dub), Jaime Vega (second Latin American Spanish dub, movies 1 and 2 only), Mario Santander (third Latin American Spanish dub)
Shinichi's next door neighbor who makes a living developing odd inventions; some of which are put to use by Shinichi throughout the series. Shinichi appears to have the utmost trust in him, having no problem of revealing his identity to Agasa only moments after being shrunk by the APTX-4869 pill.
Later on, most of his appearances amount to playing the adult who looks after the Detective Boys, becoming the unintentional guardian of Ai Haibara (aka Shiyo Miyano) when said character shows up at Shinichi's doorstep, and providing insight for Shinichi to help combat the Black Organization.
During most cases that involve the Detective Boys, Shinichi will force Agasa into the spotlight to explain the case at hand.Mandatory Naming Note
: "Agasa" is the Engrish
pronunciation of Agatha
- Absent-Minded Professor: Most Triumphant Japanese Example
- Big Fancy House: The mansion located next to the just-as-big Kudo home.
- Big Fun: A chubby old man with a heart of gold and a cheerful disposition
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- Einstein Hair
- Friend to All Children: Frequently takes the Detective Boys out for fun.
- Gadgeteer Genius: He made Conan all those
assistive technology gadgets.
- Herr Doktor: Drives a German car, a Käfer. In the dub, he has a German accent.
- Nice Guy: One of the nicest in the series.
- No Name Given: Averted, but not with a bit of Ass Pull. His given name, given as Hiroshi only later on, is an Alternate Character Reading of Hakase, the Japanese term for the title of Doctor, while devoid of the latter's connotations.
- Parental Substitute: For Shinichi, to a degree. Even moreso for Haibara, who lives in his house and unlike Shinichi, no longer has any real family. She grows to love him like a real father and often tries to protect him above anyone else. He's even her cellphone background picture! It turns out he knew her dead parents.
- Secret Keeper: With the distinction of being the first person ever who found out about Shinichi.
- Smart Ball: Pocketed it. Shinichi said he never invented anything useful right in the beginning, yet he eventually became one of the most Gadgeteer Genius in anime without any further explanation (to the point where actual secret agents express jealousy at his skills). That being said, several of his inventions still do malfunction from time to time, but those are few and far between.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Fusae Campbell Kinoshita.
The Detective Boys/The Junior Detective League
The Detective Boys/The Junior Detective League
Clockwise from The Big Guy
; Genta, Mitsuhiko, Ayumi, Conan and Haibara
Consisting of Conan, Haibara, Mitsuhiko, Genta, and Ayumi, they are a Five-Man Band
of kid detectives.Mandatory Naming Note
: Their group name comes from the group of the same name in Edogawa Ranpo's novels.
- Five-Man Band
- The Leader: Conan (Conan leads the investigations, but Genta insists on the credit.)
- The Lancer: Haibara, like Conan, is a genius adult shrunk to child form but her coldness contrasts his heroics
- The Smart Guy: Mitsuhiko thinks he's the smartest because he's Locked Out of the Loop. He provides information Conan lacks.
- The Big Guy: Genta, the tallest and strongest (and chubbiest) of them.
- The Chick: Ayumi is a cheerful girl who's friends with everyone; even First Name Basis with Haibara.
- Free-Range Children: The kids spend a lot of time wandering around without even nominal adult supervision. They regularly do things like take bus trips, canvas neighborhoods, and explore caves, forests and scary mansions alone. True, Conan and Ai are Older Than They Look, but almost any adult who isn't Professor Agasa doesn't know that since Conan and Ai look about seven.
- Limited Social Circle: They are rarely seen spending much time with classmates outside their group but Ayumi at least is shown with a list of her other friends. Justified with Ai and Conan, who simply don't have any reason to make more friends at elementary school.
- Love Dodecahedron: Genta likes Ayumi, Mitsuhiko likes Ayumi and Ai, Ayumi likes Conan, Ai is believed to like Conan and Conan is Ran-sexual.
- Oblivious to Love: Among the group, Ayumi is blissfully unaware that Mitsuko and Genta both have a huge crush on her. Conan knows Ayumi likes him, but dismisses his mother's suggestion that Ai also has a crush on him as absurd.
- Shippers on Deck: All of prefer that Takagi and Satou became a couple. And after discovering that Kobayashi is Shiratori's "girl of destiny", they all were anxious for them to become a couple.
- Snooping Little Kids: The group together is mostly seen as this to grown-ups; particularly, the police department and Kogoro.
- They Are All Grownup: OVA 9.
- Tag Along Kids: Conan is pretty much followed by the three actual kids of the group, Mitsuhiko, Genta and Ayumi. Ai on rare occasions takes Conan's place here sometimes. Otherwise, she stands along side Conan.
Voiced by Yukiko Iwai (JP) / Monica Rial (EN)
, Erika Araujo (first Latin American Spanish dub), Claudia Mota (second Latin American Spanish dub, movies 1 and 2 only), Ximena Marchant (third Latin American Spanish dub)
The one and only emotional girl of the Detective Boys before Ai Haibara joined the group later in the series.
- The Cutie
- First Name Basis: Ayumi is the only child of the group who calls Haibara by her first name.
- Hair Decorations: Always seen with a headband.
- Hopeless Suitor: For Conan, due to the latter age problem. Though to her defense, it's more like admiration than crush.
- The Smurfette Principle: She was the only girl of the group before Haibara joined.
- Third-Person Person: In later chapters, Ayumi constantly refers to herself as such.
- Token Mini-Moe: Pretty self explanatory seeing how all other major or secondary female characters in the series is either a teenager or an adult not counting the shrunk Haibara.
Voiced by Wataru Takagi (JP)
, Victor Mares Jr. (first Latin American Spanish dub), Jesus Barrero
(second Latin American Spanish dub, movies 1 and 2 only), Alberto Salas (third Latin American Spanish dub)
The big kid of the group who enjoys to eat, but isn't the brightest of the bunch.
- Big Eater: Eats a lot for his age. Although he is fat.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Has thick eyebrows.
- Bridal Carry: Give one to Haibara in Movie 5 to stop her Senseless Sacrifice.
- Dumb Muscle: Seen to be the least intellectual of the group, but at least makes up for it for being the biggest and the strongest of the Detective Boys.
- OOC Is Serious Business: During the Tragedy of the Pier in Plain Sight case (episodes 366-367/volume 45), his uncharacteristic action of fully concentrating on fishing (to the point of almost skipping lunch) turns out to be a secret plan to catch a rare fish for Professor Agasa's birthday.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The loud, tough Manly Man to Mitsuhiko's thoughtful, organized Sensitive Guy.
- Talkingto Himself: On rare occasions if Takagi and Genta are in the same episode. Both share the same voice-actor in Japanese.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Unajuu, or eel on rice.
Voiced by Ikue Otani / Ai Orikasa (JP)
, Ivette Gonzalez (first Latin American Spanish dub), Miguel Ángel Ruiz (second Latin American Spanish dub, movies 1 and 2 only), Carolina Araya (third Latin American Spanish dub)
The lead boy before Conan joins the group who genuinely tries to provide Conan with legitimate feedback on cases that the group comes across; most of the time to no avail.
Voiced by Naoko Matsui (JP) / Laura Bailey (EN)
, Rocío Gallegos (first Latin American Spanish dub), Sandra Pavón (second Latin American Spanish dub, movies 1 and 2 only), Josefina Becerra (third Latin American Spanish dub)
The love-seeking daughter of a very rich family, and Ran's best friend. On rare occasions, mostly from cases that involves just her and Ran, Shinichi will put Sonoko to sleep and talk as her in a manner similar to how he uses Kogoro as the scrape-goat for explaining the case at hand.
She eventually gains an actual boyfriend in the form of an international karate champion, Makoto Kyougoku, but still finds time to flirt with other men (Kaitou Kid in particular) to compensate for the fact that she can't handle being in a long-distance relationship.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Subverted. While is a big fan of Katiou Kid, it doesn't go to anywhere deep and she's already in love with Makoto.
- Alliterative Name: Sonoko Suzuki.
- Alone with the Psycho: At least twice.
- Berserk Button: Say all you want about this girl, but she strongly believes in The Power of Friendship and adores her buddies — specially Ran. So please don't harm your own friends! And even more so, don't kill them. She will get REALLY mad if you do.
- Brainless Beauty: Borderline case.
- Bully Hunter: As a child, Sonoko used to defend Ran from bullies.
- Butt Monkey: She really has extraordinarily bad luck at times.
- Childhood Friends: With both Ran and Shinichi.
- Damsel in Distress: Catches the Distress Ball more than once.
- Fangirl: Goes crazy when Kaitou Kid makes an appearance.
- The Fashionista: Especially seen in one case where Sonoko identifies the victims as belonging to the ganguro fashion sub culture upon seeing their pictures. She even distinguished what kind of ganguro they were!
- Forehead of Doom: Often noted to have a big forehead.
- Hair Decorations: Usually seen with a headband.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Ran Mouri's closest friend since childhood.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: With all of her shallowness and childish fits, she really cares for Ran, Makoto, her friends and family.
- Long Distance Relationship: With Makoto, a famous karate champion.
- Official Couple: With Makoto Kyougoku.
- Plucky Girl: She never ever gives up on what she wants.
- Running Gag: Her bad luck with men, until she started dating Makoto.
- She Is All Grown Up: In the Stranger of 10 Years Ago OAV, she's not only Older and Wiser but is almost as much of a Type 1 Ojou as Ayako.
- Shipping Torpedo -> Shipper on Deck: For a long time she's a Shinichi/Ran anti-shipper since she believes he's not good enough for her and she can't stand seeing Ran suffering because of Shinichi - for all Sonoko knows he's enjoying himself while her best friend is having a bloody miserable time. She later mellows out on this.
- Sonoko also seems to think that Conan and Ayumi would be cute together.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Despite her flirty tendencues, Sonoko is only interested in Makoto. A incredibly polite, brave young man who rescued her from a serial killer.
- Spoiled Brat: Milder than other cases.
- Spoiled Sweet: She's too flighty and childish to be The Ojou but doesn't flaunt her wealth around in an overly bitchy manner. In fact, she appreciates that Ran doesn't try to mooch off her.
- Sweet Tooth
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: One may think she's Ran's girly girl and her older sister Ayako's tomboy but Ran thing is more complex than that. Sonoko is less physically active and more boy-crazy/fashionista than Ran, but is also more outspoken and straightforward than her (Unless Ran's in tsuntsun more, yeah.) In fact, their friendship started when Sonoko protected Ran when they were children!
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: A more vocal example than most. Sonoko completely proclaims to Inspector Yamamura that Makoto isn't the murderer in a case, and continues to give him death glares when the idiot makes veiled comments that he belives Makoto to be the culprit.
Voiced by Hideyuki Tanaka (JP)
. Juan Zadala and Roberto Alexander (first Latin American Spanish dub), Jorge Lillo (third Latin American Spanish dub)
Famous mystery writer and Shinichi's father.
He currently lives with his wife Yukiko in Los Angeles, but he and Yukiko drop by regularly to check on Shinichi.Mandatory naming note
: Yusaku's name comes from Shunsaku Kudo (protagonist of the TV Drama Tantei Monogatari aka Detective Tales) and actor Yusaku Matsuda (who portrayed Shunsaku Kudo).
- Always Someone Better: Among the few who can outsmart Shinichi/Conan on a regular basis.
- Badass Bookworm: Knows as much trivial info as his son, or even more.
- Badass Mustache: Has a pretty cool mustache.
- Brilliant but Lazy: He is supposed to be an even better detective than his son and has even outsmarted him a couple of times, he'd just rather work as a writer instead. His relationship with Shinichi is a very clear Shout-Out to Sherlock Holmes and his older brother Mycroft.
- Famed in Story: Yusaku is famous for his mystery novel series, Night Baron.
- Guile Hero: He's good at catching criminals because writing complicated and engaging novels from a villain's POV gives him insight on details and human psyche.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Can be pretty insensitive and an Insufferable Genius sometimes. Oh well, Like Father, Like Son.
- Mystery Writer Detective: He writes the popular Night Baron stories.
- Secret Keeper: He, along with Yukiko, know about Conan's true identity.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Even with his mild flirting to other women, Yuusaku has only had eyes for Yukiko.
- There's also how he modeled "Irene Adler" after Yukiko in the third movie; in the mystery game Yusuaku was Sherlock Holmes and Irene Adler was Holmes's one and true love.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: With Yukiko, at their worst.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: He sports glasses and is sharper than his son.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Here is Yusaku in his 20's, sans-moustache and glasses.◊ The similarities between Dad and Shinichi went off the freaking ceiling with that.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- Teen Genius: Yeah, Like Father, Like Son in this too.
Yukiko Kudo (nèe Fujimine) / Vivian Kudo
Voiced by Sumi Shimamoto (JP)
Anna Grinta (first Latin American Spanish dub), Laura Orlazábal (third Latin American Spanish dub)
Shinichi's mother, an old friend and rival of Ran's mother Eri, as well as a former teen model and actress; past jobs that have even brought upon her a connection to the Black Organization's member, Vermouth
She currently lives with Yusaku in Los Angeles, but they drop by regularly to check on Shinichi.Mandatory naming note
: The name Yukiko Fujimine (藤峰) name is a Shout-Out
to Lupin III
's Fujiko Mine and Fujiko's first seiyuu, Yukiko Nikaido. An alias she used twice, Fumiyo (文代), comes from Fumiyo Akechi, wife of Edogawa Rampo's Kogoro Akechi.
Ran's mother and the estranged wife of Kogoro. She's a very successful attorney.Mandatory Naming Note
: The name comes from Ellery Queen
; Kisaki means "Queen."
- Absurdly Youthful Mother: Her beauty is commented on by a number of characters. In her second appearance, she was introduced via having the Male Gaze fixed on her butt.
- Action Mom: Doesn't fight actively, but can defend herself when needed. Implied to have learned it from Kogoro.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Frequently with Kogoro. Pretty much whenever they meet, they spend the entire time nagging each other, but these episodes usually end with a clear indicator that they still care for each other.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: She and Kogoro are an adult version of the trope.
- Brainy Brunette: She has light brown hair and one of smartest adult in the series. She is shown to be a rather competent detective as well - which is why she makes a great lawyer!
- Can't Live with Them, Can't Live without Them: With Kogoro. At one point, Kogoro even outright states that he cannot bear being seperated from Eri and asks her to come back, but she pretends she didn't hear him because she's not ready yet.
- She ALMOST came back for Kogoro in The Day That Mouri Kogoro Ceased Being Detective. Thanks to Sayuri Tokomae however...
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Kogoro.
- Childhood Friends: With Yukiko. Also, with Kogoro, which developed into something more.
- Dude Magnet: Guess where Ran gets her looks from?.
- Graceful Ladies Like Purple: Her outfit is almost always a purple lawyer suit.
- Hello, Attorney!
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Yukiko Kudo.
- Lethal Chef: The real (and pathetic) reason why she separated with Kogoro; the guy is just too honest to tell her that her cooking sucks without giving a damn for what she feels. He actually wanted to force her to go to bed after a Shoot the Hostage situation that had her as the hostage and Kogoro as the one shooting, but she tried to cook for him despite having been wounded, and well...
- Meganekko: Though harsher than the standard.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Prim and Proper Bun
- Red Baron: Known as "The Queen of Courtroom".
- Shipping Torpedo: Downplayed. Eri doesn't actively try to wane Ran's love for Shinichi, but she has often advised her to give up on him.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Whatever she may say, Eri has only ever romantically loved Kogoro Mouri.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: See her Teen Genius section and the fact that she has never lost a case in her entire career.
- Teen Genius: She was one of the national top scorers when she was in high school, and actually turned down a Harvard offer because of Kogoro.
- Tsundere: She vehemently claims to hate the drunkard, gambling and womanizing Kogoro but she still wears her wedding ring and keeps on listening to his recorded voice on the Walkman asking her to come home and start over. She even named her pet cat "Goro" after him. In fact, she is always ready to come back to him once he quits his vices and starts to act like a responsible husband... but this IS Kogoro we're talking about.
- A Woman And Her Cat: Eri owns a pet cat named "Goro".