- Darkhorse Casting: Surprisingly, in spite of being a big-budget reboot to an iconic franchise, this is utilized. Other than Arnold Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton reprising their roles and Mackenzie Davis joining the cast, the rest of the cast is much less known. Natalia Reyes, who plays one of the main characters, has had only two film roles prior to this and both of them were indie films released within a year from each other (one of them being the critically acclaimed Birds of Passage). Most of her other screen credits were telenovas that have never aired outside of Latin America. Gabriel Luna is primarily known for playing the Robbie Reyes incarnation of Ghost Rider on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and nothing else. Diego Boneta has had roles in Scream Queens and Rock of Ages, but that's about it.note Jude Collie, who replaces Edward Furlong as young John Connor, has an empty IMDb page. Contrast that of Terminator Genisys, which had plenty of well-known actors, such as Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtney, Matt Smith, and J. K. Simmons.
- Dueling Works: The film comes out two months after Rambo: Last Blood, another grittier and R-rated installment from an action movie franchise that originated in The '80s and starring the other major action movie star from that time, Sylvester Stallone. Both also see the return of an aged protagonist of the franchise, Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton) and John Rambo (Stallone again), who still kicks ass left and right.
- Flip-Flop of God: James Cameron considered Terminator Genisys as "the true third film" of the franchise back in the day. Come Dark Fate, and Genisys is now Alternate Continuity/Canon Discontinuity.
- The Original Darrin: Edward Furlong reprises his Terminator 2 role as John Connor after the character was played by four actorsnote in later works.
- Release Date Change:
- The film's release has been pushed back from July 26, 2019 to November 22, 2019, to avoid competition with the Fast & Furious spinoff Hobbs & Shaw.
- Then it was moved to November 1, 2019, wasting no time to take advantage of Wonder Woman 1984 moving to June 2020. It will face the Charlie's Angels reboot instead.
- Role Reprisal:
- Arnold Schwarzenegger returns four years after Terminator Genisys, and 28 years after Judgment Day for that continuity.
- Linda Hamilton returns as Sarah Connor 28 years after Terminator 2 and 23 years after the last time she played the role in Terminator 2 3-D: Battle Across Time.
- Edward Furlong was eventually revealed to return as John Connor, 28 years after Judgment Day and 23 years after Race Against Time, thus making the first actor to play John in more than one film in the franchise.
- Brett Azar serves once again as a body double on which a younger Arnold Schwarzenegger's face is recreated, after Genisys.
- Linda Hamilton's French dub actress from Terminator 2, Véronique Augereau, returns after 28 years.
- In a similar way in the Japanese dub, Tessho Genda returns again as the T-800.
- Sequel Gap: The film is a straight up sequel to Terminator 2: Judgment Day and will come out 28 years after it. Otherwise, it will come out four years after the last installment, Terminator Genisys, which it ignores.
Trivia / Terminator: Dark Fate