Linda Carroll Hamilton (born September 26, 1956 in Salisbury, Maryland) is an American actress and voice actress.
She's most well known for her role of Sarah Connor, the mother of future human resistance leader John Connor in the first two films of the Terminator franchise, namely The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day. The latter gave the character a serious level in badass and more dramatic range, making her quite an iconic example Action Girl. Linda reprised the role in Dark Fate 28 years after the last time she played it.
Her works on TV Tropes:
- Terminator as Sarah Jeanette Connor
- Children of the Corn (1984) as Vicky Baxter
- King Kong Lives (1986) as Dr. Amy Franklin
- Beauty and the Beast (1987-1990) as Catherine Chandler
- Mr. Destiny (1990) as Ellen Jane
- Silent Fall (1994) as Karen Rainer
- Dante's Peak (1997) as Rachel Wando
- Batman: The Animated Series (1998) as Susan Maguire
- Hercules: The Animated Series (1998-1999) as Nemesis
- Batman Beyond (1999) as Dr. Stephanie Lake
- Buzz Lightyear of Star Command (2000) as Dr. Furbanna
- Weeds (2010) as Linda
- Chuck (2010-2012) as Mary Elizabeth Bartowski
- DC Showcase: Jonah Hex (2010) as Madame Lorraine
- Lost Girl (2013-2015) as Acacia
- Defiance (2014-2015) as Pilar
- Resident Alien (2021) as General McCallister
Tropes associated with her work:
- Amicable Exes: She and James Cameron remain so.
- Bi Polar Disorder: In 2005, she revealed that she suffers from it, claiming that it destroyed her two marriages. Happily however she was encouraged to seek treatment and thanks her children for persuading her.
- Creator Couple:
- Dawson Casting: She was twenty-seven playing Sarah Connor at 19. Later films retconned her into being 23. Ironically Jennifer Jason Leigh was turned down for being too young.
- Dyeing for Your Art:
- For Terminator 2 she got into insanely good shape through a strict training regimen and non-fat diet. She lost twelve pounds while filming.
- She also spent a year training for Terminator: Dark Fate to get into the right shape.
- I Am Not Spock: Despite an extensive resume in TV and film, she is known almost entirely as Sarah Connor. Doubly impressive considering until 2019 she only starred in two films in the franchise.
- Making Use of the Twin: Linda's late identical twin sister Leslie was used in Terminator 2 when the T-1000 is mimicking Sarah, and in the dream sequence (Word of God is that they had no idea how to do it until they realised she had a twin!). There's a Deleted Scene where Sarah Connor is working on the T-800 in front of a mirror; the mirror's frame was empty, with Linda on one side with a dummy and Leslie on the other mirroring her movements with the real Arnie.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: During Season 2 of Beauty and the Beast (1987), she became pregnant and wanted to take time off. She was killed off and replaced with a new character played by Jo Anderson.
- Special Guest: She is credited as this for role as General McCallister in Resident Alien.
- What Could Have Been:
- Among the projects she auditioned for - A Few Good Men, Batman Forever, Star Trek: Voyager.
- Apparently turned down the part of Molly Brown in Titanic (1997) that went to Kathy Bates.
- She declined to come back for Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, though she eventually returned to the franchise for Terminator: Dark Fate."They offered me a part. I read it and knew my character arc was so complete after the first two, but in the third one, it was negligible. She died halfway through and there was no time to mourn her. It was all so disposable so I said no thank you."
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Being on the receiving end of this trope is a known Berserk Button for her. Just ask Ken Gibbel.