Yōma are demonic entities what are drawn to the human world by the blood spilled within the shinobi barrier. Coming in varying of horrifying appearances, they are cause of many major calamities what have happened across the world. It is the true duty of shinobi to train themselves to destroy the yōma whenever they appear.
An ancient yōma who is the heart of all of the yōma what exist today. As long as Shin exists, yōma will keep on appearing in the world. Shin lives in a pocket dimension where it can spawn out more yōma into the world. Shinobi exist in the current times so that there can be enough Kaguras in order to kill it for good. Only way to draw Shin out is to cause huge enough of a bloodshed to draw it out, but it is known to appear in the human world every millennium.
- Greater-Scope Villain: It is the biggest threat in the Senran Kagura series as without it, yōma wouldn't exist, which would give Dougen anything to summon.
- Monster Progenitor: Is the source and creator of all yōma.
- Ultimate Evil: Shin has never appeared in any picture, and neither is there a description to what it might look like. Though based on Estival Versus, it might look like a giant fetus at it's current state.
The first yōma seen in the series, appearing as the Final Boss of Skirting Shadows, and the final stage of Crimson Girls. It is a yōma who was sealed away within the grounds of the Hebijo Academy, who eventually gets revived by Dōgen, using the blood from top shinobi as sacrifice.
- Boss Rush: In Crimson Girls, you must fight each of the possessed Hebijo students after defeating Asuka.
- Came Back Strong: In a fashion, the creature you face in Burst and Deep Crimson's first chapter is an incomplete version. The second time you face it is its true form.
- Demonic Possession: Does this to the Hebijo students in Crimson Girls, requiring Homura to defeat her comrades in order to set them free. Implied to also be the case in Skirting Shadows.
- Demoted to Extra: The closest thing it gets to an appearance in the anime is a three-minute cameo as Dōgen's Ninpo, "Giant Serpent".
- Eldritch Abomination: Where to start? It seems to be one-third humanoid giant, one-third dragon, and one-third Humongous Mecha. Four of its five necks have no heads on them, instead ending in great masses of bloodstained katanas. It has two bizarre mechanical appendages that can only be described as giant tennis rackets covered in bloodstained katanas. On its central neck is the head of a mecha-dragon, covered in bloodstained katanas, and in the head's mouth is a human face, contorted with rage. Oh, and the sound of its roar is mixed with a baby crying.
- Gameplay and Story Segregation: In Crimson Girls, regardless of which character you select the mission with, you will always control Homura during the brief "meadow sequences" leading to the fight against each possessed Hebijo student.
- Giant Space Flea Out Of Nowhere: You thought that Crimson Homura was the final boss of Skirting Shadows? Nope! Have a Eldritch Abomination instead.
- Orochi: While it might not be the real thing, it is named after the demon in-universe.
- Tail Slap: A really powerful one at that. In Burst, it can shred through half of your clothing bar in one strike.
- Took a Level in Badass: A curious example since it happens both in-universe and from a gameplay design.
- In its first appearance in Burst, it's a static boss with a limited range of attacks. The Deep Crimson retelling of that battle overhauls its moveset completely, giving it mobility and a whole new set of attacks.
- Plot-wise, the creature you face is an incomplete form, with its complete form making an appearance in the final chapter of Deep Crimson as one of the hardest bosses in the franchise.
- Walking Spoiler: There is a lot what can be said about her(?) and one of them isn't expected.
- Warm-Up Boss: Oddly enough, the tutorial for Crimson Girls pits it against Homura in a nightmare sequence.
- Wave Motion Gun: One of its attacks is a massive laser beam that can only be avoided by remaining airborne or hiding in a specific spot.
- Womb Level: In Crimson Girls, the final mission takes place inside its body.
- You Don't Look Like You: Orochi's brief appearance in the anime looks like five gigantic white worms with Lamprey Mouths, four eyes and claws growing around the mouth and its body being covered in flames.
Jura are pair of yōma what manifest themselves from the breasts of a giant woman. Appearing at first like giant balls of rubble, it is actually two pairs of heads covered by a sphere of rubble.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: The red one has these, as well as the giant woman which they came out from.
- Dual Boss: Both of them are fought at the same time.
- Rolling Attack: Their main form of attack is roll around in rapid speeds.
- Was Once a Man: The bio for the blue one states that it was apparently a newborn baby before it became what it is now.
Originally said to have been two beautiful sisters, they were transformed into hideous centipede women who are obsessed with beauty.
- Beauty Is Bad: While the two of them are not beautiful at all, they are obsessed with beauty due of their appearance, and hate those more beautiful than them.
- Blow You Away: The green one mainly attacks by throwing spheres of wind at her foes.
- Creepy Centipedes: Both of them are humongous women with a body of a centipede for a lower body.
- Meaningful Name: Their names seem to come from Mountain Mikami, what once appeared in a Japanese folktale My Lord Bag of Rice, where Fujiwara no Hidesato slays a giant centipede on top of the mountain.
- Shock and Awe: the yellow one mainly attacks by throwing spheres of electricity at her foes.
- Tail Slap: Both of them can use their centipede bodies to slap someone.
- Was Once a Man: Both of them used to be two sisters before they became yōma .
A giant octopus-like abomination which has fused itself with a ship. It lurks in a small cliff crevice, from which it lashes out with its tentacles and spits out ink.
- Animalistic Abomination: Goza sits somewhere between this and Humanoid Abomination. It looks like a giant octopus with body proportions of a giant woman.
- Combat Tentacles: It mainly uses it's tentacles on the front of it's body to attack.
- Eyes Do Not Belong There: Subverted. At first, it looks like it has eyes on where it's nipples might be, but they are actually hair of two sunken-in heads what occasionally pop-up.
- Giant Squid: Well, a giant octopus, but Goza is still a humongous octopus-like monster.
- The Unpronounceable: It's name isn't really Goza, but it's real name is impossible to be pronounced by any human language.
Less of a proper yōmas and more like by-product of them, Scarlet Shinobi are illusions which look like blood-red humans, commonly taking forms of shinobi students. They first appeared as enemies in the final stage of Crimson Girls and reappeared in Deep Crimson, this time showing the ability to mentally assault people they are trying to mimic.
- Palette Swap: They are red-coloured versions of regular shinobi the player has faced before.
- Mirror Boss: The ones based on Homura's Crimson Squad are fought with each respectful member facing against their own clone.
- Shadow Archetype: The ones based on Homura's Crimson Squad fulfil this role to them, as they try to break them down by bringing up their darkest memories or saying they have betrayed themselves.
The Yōma Generals
A group of yōma who were created by Dōgen using the blood of the Hanzo Academy's and Homura's Crimson Squad's girls. While acting like Amazon Brigade for Dōgen, their real purpose is to be used as Red Orb fodder for Kagura to make her grow stronger faster.
Their designations are given as Seats, going from 1st to 10th.
- Armed Legs: 5th Seat's weapon is a pair of boots with blades coming out of the heels, what look like ice skates.
- Dual Wielding: 1st Seat uses a pair of kanabo. 2nd Order uses eight katanas when fighting.
- Evil Weapon: All of their weapons are given this kind of feel to them based on their description.
- Gatling Good: 8th Seat has gatling guns which she can draw out of her legs.
- Leitmotif: Shinobi Clones
- Light Is Not Good: 1st Seat dresses in all-white, as contrast to mostly black of other members, and isn't any nicer than the others.
- Nice Hat: 7th Seat wears a straw hat with a spiral pattern on it, whereas 8th Seat wears a green beret.
- Peek-a-Bangs: 6th Seat has most of her hair on her right side, covering most of her face.
- The Psycho Rangers: They were created using the blood and combat data of the Hanzo Academy and Homura's Crimson Squad girls, and fight with the girls' fighting styles, though they do have some adaptive weapons.
Red Oni and Blue Oni
A pair of yōmas who resemble onis. Carrying large iron clubs, the two of them work as a duo.
- Carry a Big Stick: Both of them carry large spiked iron clubs.
- Cool Mask: Both of them wear one half of what seems to be an oni mask.
- Fur Bikini: Both of them wear tiger suits, Red Oni wearing a fur bra and a loincloth, where as Blue Oni is wearing a fur dress. Both of them have underwear under them, though.
- Horned Humanoid: Both of them have one horn on their head.
- Pointy Ears
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Literally though the elements of the trope itself does appear in Blue Oni's bio, where she needs to hold back her assertive partner.
- Youkai: Both of them resemble onis in appearance.
A yōma which looks like a woman with a body of a spider waist down. They commonly fight by clawing their foes with their front legs.
- All Webbed Up: They can create spider webs on the ground, which if stepped on, will tangle the player in webbing.
- Cool Mask: They have a spider-like mask/helmet, which can come off to show a normal human face.
- In a Single Bound: One of their attacks is to jump really high and then slam down to the ground.
- Spider People
A yōma which looks like a woman with crab legs and pincers for arms. They commonly use their massive right pincer to smack their foes.
A yōma who has snake heads for arms and a lower body of one. They slither around the battlefield trying to either bite their foes or using the thorns from the tip of their tails to attack.
- Bandage Babe: They wear cheap sarashi over their breasts to cover them, and also wear bandages over their eyes since they are more adapt on living in the dark.
- Poisonous Person: They can inflict Poison status with their attacks.
- Snake People
- Spike Shooter: They can fire off the thorns from their tail to attack.
- Tail Slap: One of their attacks has them slapping their foes with their tail.
A ghostly-looking woman dressed in kimono, resembling the yuki-onna. They can fire projectiles what can freeze those hit by them.
A large construct made out of earth and decorated with gemstones, who have fused themselves with a shinobi. They use the weight of their fists and body to crush their foes.
A yōma what looks like a cross between a person and a plant. They can heal their allies and attack using seeds.
A small yōma which looks like a human skull.
A small yōma in form of a spider.
A small yōma in the form of a plant with a leaf growing on its head.