Alternate title: What Do You Mean, Our Jesus And Cthulhu Are Different, So Screw The Sliding Scale Of What Measure Is Good and Evil True Art Versus Chekhov's Nightmare Phlebotinum—Everythings Better With Hollywood-Gambit Moments of Doom Ex Machina Ensues, BITCH! (IN SPACE!)
It's a fairly common practice in the wiki to make puns based on pre-existing trope titles. Outside of this wiki, this is called a "snowclone", where in a sentence "X is the new Y", anything the speaker wants to use can be substituted for X and Y.
The term "Snow Clone" originated on Language Log, from multiple examples of people claiming "[Culture X] has [Y] words for [concept Z.]" based on the statement that "Eskimos have 50 words for [50 types of] snow."
But very often, this new trope will have nothing whatsoever to do with its namesake. (And that's bad.)
This index used to be called "Chekhov's Pun" — the title (but not concept) was taken from Chekhov's Gun, a common target of the various punners that frequent TLP. Nightmare Fuel, Nightmare Retardant, Nightmare Dreams, Nightmare Valley, and Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant suggest that this is happening to another trope, though those are directly related to the original article.
The Title Bin was the place where silly wordplay used to go if it couldn't be justified by the trope description, as more creative ways of Naming a Trope should be used. It was eventually deleted as too few of the entries displayed any actual humor.
See also Everything's Worse with Snowclones for more reasons that you shouldn't name tropes this way.
Index of Snowclones:
- Anime Reality
- Archaic Weapon for an Advanced Age (from Elegant Weapon for a More Civilized Age)
- Bizarre Alien Locomotion
- Bizarre Alien Psychology
- Bizarre Alien Reproduction
- Bizarre Alien Senses
- Bizarre Alien Sexes (all from Bizarre Alien Biology)
- Blood Is Squicker in Water
- Did You Just Index Cthulhu?
- Foo Fu
- Good and Evil for Your Convenience
- Hollywood Style
- Indexing Ensues
- Ind ex Machina
- Infauxmation Desk
- MacGuffin Snowclones
- Made of Index
- No Badge? No Problem! (from No Plot? No Problem!)
- Our Tropes Are Different
- The Power of Index
- Real Award, Fictional Character (from Real Trailer, Fake Movie)
- Rule of Index
- Screw This Index, I Have Tropes!
- Somewhere, This Index Is Crying
- This Index Will Be Important Later
- A Troper Is You
- Tropes on a Bus
- Tropey the Wonder Dog
- TV Tropes "How to" Guides
- We Will Not Use an Index in the Future
- What Do You Mean, It's Not an Index?
- What Measure Is an Index?