"My armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!"
— Smaug, The Hobbit
Tropes about dragons, drakes, wyrms, wyverns, and any beast of this mythical taxon.
- Armored Dragons: A dragon wears removable armor that is not part of their anatomy.
- Basilisk and Cockatrice: Basilisks and/or cockatrices, another type of monstrous and often winged reptiles.
- Breath Weapon: Breathing out or vomiting forth a substance used as a weapon.
- Cat-like Dragons: A dragon that looks and/or acts like a cat.
- Dinosaurs Are Dragons: Dinosaurs portrayed as either being dragons or at least having some draconic traits.
- Dracolich: Undead dragons.
- Draconic Humanoid: Humanoids with features like those of dragons.
- Dragon Ancestry: Someone with draconic ancestry or dragon blood.
- Dragon Hoard: Dragons often guard treasure hoards.
- Dragon Knight: A knight with a dragonlike appearance and/or powers.
- Dragon Rider: Someone rides a dragon.
- Dragons Are Demonic: Dragons as beings of evil.
- Dragons Are Divine: Dragons as divine beings.
- The Dragons Come Back: Dragons (or similar apex predators) returning from extinction/exile.
- Dragons Prefer Princesses: Either a dragon steals a princess or a princess is given to that dragon as an offering.
- Dragons Up the Yin Yang: Using oriental dragons and/or the yin-yang symbol to indicate awesome Asian stuff.
- The Dragonslayer: A character with a reputation for slaying dragons.
- Feathered Dragons: Dragons depicted with feathered wings.
- Feathered Serpent: A snake (or snake-like creature) with feathers (or feather-like projections).
- Fiery Salamander: Another type of reptile know for Playing with Fire.
- Giant Flyer: Large flying creatures in general.
- Instant Awesome: Just Add Dragons!: Dragons are added in a random way, just because dragons are cool.
- Kirin: An East Asian mythical creature often resembling, or specifically linked to, dragons.
- Lazy Dragon: Dragons sleep a long time, and may act lazily even when awake.
- Legendary Carp: In Eastern myth and literature, carps that live for a sufficient time and/or leap over a waterfall become dragons.
- Our Dragons Are Different: The different ways in which fiction portrays dragons.
- Scaled Up: A character — usually a villain — transforms into a more reptilian state.
- Seahorses Are Dragons: A creature seahorse-like and dragon-like.
- Shoulder-Sized Dragon: A dragon small enough to sit on someone's shoulder.
- Tiger Versus Dragon: Something representing or represented by a dragon against something representing or represented by a tiger.
- Weredragon: A character who is sometimes humanoid and sometimes a dragon.