A variety of fanfic in which the plotline is focused around the reactions of the cast to the death of one of their number. Frequently written in the first person, as the narrator goes on (sometimes at exasperating length) about everything they regret doing/not having done and everything that ever went wrong in their relationship to the deceased. Confessions of hidden love, secret friendship and occasionally responsibility for the death are common. Almost stereotypically ends with some variation on "Goodbye (name), life will never be the same without you/I'll miss you/I'm coming to join you just as soon as I open this vein."
This is a fanfic style which lends itself, predictably, to incredible amounts of wangst at times.
Some Death Fics explicitly employ a Tomato Surprise by obscuring just who is narrating and/or who died until the very last moment. A few of these don't actually spring the surprise, instead forcing the reader to guess.
Examples (sorted by original source media):
- In Axis Powers Hetalia fanfics, this is so frequent that it may qualify as a Dead Horse Trope. The only reason this doesn't bore the readers is due to the timeline of the show. In 2000 years, the death of a single character could be written 30 times, only in different eras, and bring totally different effects.
- Special mention here to Italy's reaction to the death of the Holy Roman Empire. There are countless fics exploring his emotional trauma. A not long, but good example would be Best Left Forgotten.
- Ranma ½:
- Random 1377's Neon Genesis Evangelion fic Aoi starts with Rei having to kill Shinji (perfectly justified under the circumstances) and spirals into the abyss from there.
- For Descendants of Darkness, there's the fic When the Day is Bright. Unusually, this actually has a happy ending, which only adds to the feeling of catharsis after this fic has wrung you out completely.
- Tsubasa -RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE- has Dead. Yes, that is the actual title.
- The Girls und Panzer fic In Memoriam is advertised as being a death fic in the summary, but it takes a few chapters before it's revealed that the person who dies is Miho, the main character.
- There is, of course, this amazingly vindictive and far-too-detailed monstrosity about Barney the Dinosaur.
- iCarly: One exponent is Lovely Amelie who has written several of these, including Castles In The Air, Up Into The Blue, and Days Like Masquerades.
- One example of this in the BBC Sherlock fandom is a one-shot, Alone On the Water, told from John's POV as he watches Sherlock slowly die from terminal brain cancer.
- The Death of Clark Kent is Exactly What It Says on the Tin.
- An Enduring Song is a fanfic of Star Trek: The Next Generation where Deanna Troi dies and then Riker mourns her death.
- Zigzagged in the fanfic Morticia is Pregnant, featuring The Addams Family. First, Morticia attempts suicide because she is depressed over not wanting a new kid and being pregnant. She is managed to be rescued, but the baby she was expecting dies via miscarriage. This causes Morticia, who never even wanted the baby, to become depressed again and have another suicide attempt in which she does indeed die but after a few days she goes to Heaven and changes her mind about wanting to die, asking God to resurrect her, which He successfully does. All is well for a while but then Morticia gets kidnapped by a rapist has a Child Born Of Rape, who is successfully born but dies for a while after being born. Morticia and Gomez try for babies and Morticia gets pregnant with twins, one of whom dies before birth and the other of whom survives. After that, Gomez & Morticia are kidnapped by a woman named Lily Munster, who kills Gomez. Talk about a Dark Fic!
- Go Not Gently kills off Vivi Ornitier in the prologue. His death shapes the entire plot from there on out.
- A fic entitled The Many Deaths of Ms. Croft takes this to its logical conclusion for Tomb Raider. The fic essentially consists of a series of oneshots in which Lara Croft dies no less than 11 times in varying, but always gruesome, ways.
- Katawa Shoujo:
- The Kingdom Hearts fic A Dirge For You tackles the scenario of Sora dying in the final battle with Xehanort. Four chapters (P.O.Vs being Riku, Roxas, Aqua, and Sora himself in that order) of either Wangst or tear jerking sorrow. Oh, and it's stated that among the casualties are Terra, Kairi, Ventus, Vanitas, and every incarnation of Xehanort part of the True Organization.
- Gensokyo 20XX, which is this to a lesser degree, with some characters dying off left and right. Even immortals are no exception, as is obvious seeing that Eirin killed herself and succeeded.
- Koishi Komeiji's Heart-Throbbing Adventure is this to a high degree that those that didn't die go insane, and those that do die are not given very pleasant deaths, to say the least.
- "Life Could Have Been So Different" by Taranea opens with Sonic the Hedgehog mourning the death of his best friend, Tails, while stopping Dr. Eggman from launching missiles at a city... and Sonic isn't exactly able to move on. Shadow of all people comes to provide comfort, specifically by revealing his own harsh backstory in full detail. The "Shadow comforting Sonic" premise quickly turns into a Framing Device, with the main story being primarily about Shadow's life on the ARK.
- The Darkwing Duck / DuckTales fanfic Two Worlds One Loved One is about the reactions of Scrooge and Darkwing to Launchpad's death in the line of duty.
- Parodied (amongst other things) in the Kim Possible oneshot Not Another Death Fic. In a nutshell: The characters try to avoid turning the story into a Death Fic...by turning it into a Shipping fic. Hilarity Ensues.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- fanfic Bittersweet had Pinkie Pie get diabetes, and going on one last sweet binge because she couldn't live with it. Rainbow Dash runs away because she can't deal with everything in Ponyville reminding her of Pinkie, while Rarity tries (unsuccessfully) to resurrect her.
- The Assassination of Twilight Sparkle, where Twilight is murdered a year after her coronation, and it deals with Celestia's grief.
- Very common in this fandom, actually, in two distinct flavors: before Twilight becomes a Winged Unicorn, there's Twilight dying and Spike (dragon with four-figure life expectancy) and/or Princess Celestia (Winged Unicorn sun goddess, immortal) dealing with it; after it, there's the now-immortal Twilight dealing with the loss of the rest of the cast. Sometimes it's reminiscing years after the character's loss, sometimes it's the last moments of Twilight (pre-alicorn-hood) or of the last of Twilight's friends (post-alicorn-hood.)
- The Total Drama story, Legacy is all about the repercussions of a contestant's death. Said repercussions are still being felt a decade later.
- At least six fanfictions of Inside Out have Riley die. Their names are Transient, The Death of Riley, Goodbye Riley, Going Dark, Until the End and Job Well Done. All of them have Riley old and have children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, along with a husband who died before her. The Emotions are subdued in these, and Memories play before she dies in each one.