The fanfic acts a darker, alternate ending to the film. When Hans' sword hits Anna, he doesn't just get flown backwards. Anna also shatters. With her sister dead, Elsa snaps and succumbs to her grief. She shuts herself in her castle and ignores the outside world. If she can pretend everything is alright, then it's alright. So, Elsa recreates her family and subjects out of snow and ice and lives her life happily amongst them.
Unfortunately, not everyone is so happy. Elsa might not mind a blizzard but the rest of her kingdom does. Kristoff, known as "the Burning Man" in the narrative, has to find a way to stop the blizzard and save Arendelle.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Alternate Universe Fic: Kingdom of Isolation is an AU where Anna is killed by Hans at the end of Frozen.
- Dark Fic: Anna's killed by Hans, which causes Elsa to break. She loses her grip on reality and slips into an escapist world while her country dies outside. Lampshaded in the author's notes:This is probably a bit too dark for Frozen. Oh well, when has that ever stopped me?
- Downer Ending: "The Burning Man" has successfully killed the Snow Queen, with alll the ice creations melting down in the process. But by then, the Arendelle kingdom has all been turned into a shell of its former self, with every living things, people or plants either disappeared or died from the frost bites. And Kristoff is the only living thing left alive.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": The narrative refers to Kristoff as "the Burning Man" because he's the only character who radiates body heat (with Elsa being naturally cold due to her ice powers and everyone else being made of snow and ice).
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Elsa has shut herself in her ice castle while her kingdom freezes to death. Anyone who tries to kill her ends up killed herself.
- Reality Ensues: Ice has a habit of shattering when it's struck by steel. That's what happened to Anna when Hans accidentally hit her.
- Sanity Slippage: Anna's brutal death takes a toll on Elsa. She shuts herself from everyone and creates a "perfect world" of snow people where Anna is alive and it's her coronation every day. Her parents and Anna are all alive while Hans is a pile of slush in the prison. In the real world, Arendelle is in turmoil because there's a raging blizzard.
- Together in Death: The snow Anna and Kristoff melted while holding one another. The real Kristoff also stayed with the snow Anna until she was completely "dead".