You have new next-door neighbors. Two women that you later learn are a couple, their toddler, their pet dog, and a man they live with it. They're nice enough people from, but you're not quite sure what to make of them. Something is... off about them.
Never Been Bothered is a short oneshot where Elsa and Anna move next door to the unnamed protagonist.
Never Been Bothered provides examples of:
- Alternate Universe Fic: The story takes place in contemporary times, however Elsa and Anna are still royalty from Arendelle. Arendelle might also be a town, rather than a city-state or country like in canon. The protagonist (who grew up in Corona) has never heard of "Arendelle", with Elsa claiming it's just a small town in Scandinavia.
- Ambiguous Gender: The protagonist is unnamed and never gendered.
- BrotherSister Incest: Elsa and Anna abandoned Arendelle because of their relationship. They hide their genetic bond from their new neighbors.
- Glamour: To better adapt to a normal civilian life, glamour is used on Olaf and Sven. Olaf is turned from a Manchild snowman into an actual human child. The already dog-like Sven is transformed into a dog.
- Hair Color Dissonance: Lampshaded when the protagonist can't tell if Anna is redheaded or brown-haired note .
- Has Two Mommies: Elsa and Anna are raising their son Olaf together.
- Mistaken for Romance: The protagonist initially thinks Anna and Kristoff are a couple, with Elsa being Anna's sister who lives with her. It turns out that Anna and Elsa are the couple.
- Relative Error: Inverted. The POV character presumes that Elsa and Anna are sisters but is later told that they're lovers. Or, actually, double subverted. This is later shown to not be completely truthful—they're sisters and lovers.
- Setting Update: Frozen takes place in the 1840s while the fanfic is set in the contemporary 2010s.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Anna and Elsa do look a lot alike, despite claiming they're not related. They're sisters.
- Trauma Button: Just mentioning the name "Hans" is enough to provoke long, awkward silence from Elsa and Anna. It's an instant mood killer.