Elsa marries Lord Halvard of Finland and the couple have two sons together: Aron and Aksel. From an early age it becomes clear that the younger sibling is a problem-child. He has a fierce temper which soon develops into outright malice, especially towards Aron. At age eight, Aksel strikes Aron, nearly killing him. Aksel can't stand that his "weaker" brother is the heir just because he's two years older.
After several years, Aksel's intense jealousy seemingly cools down. He develops a friendship with his brother. After the tragic, sudden death of Halvard, it's decided that Aksel will be made king at age twenty-one. When Aksel becomes gravely ill a few weeks before his coronation, it comes to light that Halvard's death was not an unfortunate accident: It was murder. Aksel, of all people, killed his father and is attempting the same with his elder sibling, so that he can be crowned king as soon as possible.
When the news is brought to her, Elsa can only think of one thing to do: Aksel must be killed and, as his mother, she's the only one who should do it.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Age-Gap Romance: There's a ten year age gap between Elsa and her husband. It's mentioned that the gap is unusual but Elsa is attracted to Halvard's maturity.
- Cain and Abel: Aksel and Aron have this dynamic. Aksel is jealous of Aron for being the heir. Though Halvard and Elsa deny it, Aron thinks they prefer Aron over him.
- Dark Fic: One of Elsa's children tries to murder his family to become king, so Elsa takes the law into her own hands and kills him herself.
- Enfant Terrible: Aksel almost killed his brother at age eight. It was hoped that this was just childish jealousy, that he'd outgrow his hatred of Aron, but it wasn't. He simply learned to hide it better.
- Generation Xerox: Elsa has to bring one of her two children to the trolls for an ice-related head injury, much like her own parents did. The difference is that Elsa accidentally hit Anna, while Aksel purposely attacked Aron.
- Like Father, Unlike Son: Like his mother, Aksel is a studious bookworm with ice powers. However, while Elsa has a strong love for her younger sister Anna, Aksel hates his older brother. Likewise, Aksel is easily angered while Elsa is stoic.
- Finale Title Drop: The title is used near the end of the fic to refer to Elsa murdering Aksel.In pain and blood she had brought him into the world. In pain and blood she brought about his death.
- Make It Look Like an Accident: Aksel killed his father but made it look as if he died of his bear attack injuries, instead of poisoning.
- Offing the Offspring: In order to prevent Aksel from hurting anyone else, Elsa takes him into a forest and kills him herself.
- Off with His Head!: Elsa cuts off Aksel's head as to make sure he doesn't even notice what she's done.
- Patricide: Aksel poisons his own father so that he can become heir of Arendelle. It's suggested that he'd do the same to Elsa eventually.
- Power Stereotype Flip: Aksel has a quick temper for someone with ice powers.
- Sibling Murder: Aksel attempts to murder Aron, but he's stopped before his plan works.
- Tragic Stillbirth: Halvard has wanted a large family, but several miscarriages and one stillbirth put an end to his plans. He didn't want to cause more trauma so it was decided they wouldn't try anymore.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Aksel acts too cold and cruel for an eight year old. He's power-hungry even at that young of an age.
- Unperson: Elsa plans on erasing Aksel from Aron's memory and has Aksel placed in an unmarked grave. She wants Aksel to be forgotten to everyone but herself.