Alan Cumming OBE (born January 27, 1965 in Aberfeldy, Scotland) is a Scottish stage, television and film actor, singer, writer, director, producer and author. He's best known for his roles as Nightcrawler in X2: X-Men United, Fegan Floop in the Spy Kids movie series, and Boris Grishenko in GoldenEye.
His stage appearances include Hamlet, the Broadway revival of Cabaret (for which he won a Tony for his very sexualized portrayal of the Emcee) and Design For Living. In 2000 he directed The Anniversary Party, in which he starred along with Jennifer Jason Leigh. In 2002 he wrote a novel, Tommy's Tale. He starred as Eli Gold in The Good Wife and is the current host of Masterpiece Mystery on PBS.
His filmography includes:
- Circle Of Friends
- GoldenEye (1995)
- Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1997)
- Buddy (1997)
- Spice World (1997)
- Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
- Titus (1999)
- The Anniversary Party (which he also directed)
- Spy Kids (2001)
- Josie and the Pussycats (2001)
- Nicholas Nickleby (2003)
- X2: X-Men United (2003)
- Son of the Mask (2005)
- Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)
- Tin Man (2007)
- The Tempest (2010)
- Burlesque (2010)
- The Smurfs film series
- Strange Magic (2015)
This actor provides examples of:
- Comically Missing the Point: He demanded a retraction re: a Wall Street Journal article that that suggested that he wore a codpiece as the Emcee.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Quite often, the most prominent example in X2. He had his limits, apparently; even in the behind-the-scenes footage, he stated he couldn't go through the makeup process again for the next film. This trope was the main reason he did not reprise the role for The Last Stand.
- Fake Nationality: Constantly. As a Scotsman he's played an American, a Brit (an American pretending to be a Brit), a German and a Russian just to name a few.
- Large Ham: Playing Boris Grishenko in GoldenEye and King James I in Doctor Who.
- Mama's Boy: Big time.
- Self-Deprecating Humor: At his own last name, in this cologne commercial. And yes it actually exists.