PaRappa the Rapper is a 2001-2002 anime based off the PlayStation game of the same name; it was meant as a tie-in for the second game in the series. The anime ran for a total of 30 episodes (with the final 2 episodes being combined into a 1-hour special).
PaRappa is an anthropomorphic teenage dog with a passion for hip-hop. He's in love with an anthropomorphic flower named Sunny Funny. PaRappa also likes to spends his time with his friends PJ Berri and Katy Kat.
The anime is a Slice of Life work that expands upon the games and features several original characters. It, however, de-emphasises the rapping; PaRappa only raps once in the entire series.
This anime provides examples of:
- Adapted Out: Oddly enough, some of the characters that appear in the very game this anime was promoting, Lammy, Ma-San, and Joe Chin, do not appear at all here.
- Alliterative Family: PaRappa and Pinto are siblings whose names begin with "p".
- Artifact Title: There is very little rapping in this show.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever:
- In episode 25, PJ gets infected by a virus that causes him to grow every time he eats, making him grow into a giant the size of a tree by the end of the episode.
- In what's revealed to be Parappa's imagination, PJ walks through the city, taller than all of it, eating buildings. Parappa and his friends watch as PJ blasts off into space, somehow becoming big enough to start eating all the planets. Then the dream ends.
- Audience Shift: The game is for all-ages, but it was especially aimed at teenagers. Rodney Greenblat had wanted the anime to be aimed at teens but he was vetoed because Sony wanted a Merchandise-Driven anime aimed at children.
- Canon Foreigner: The anime contains several original characters including PaRappa's sister Pinto, Gaster, and Groober. Matt and Paula Fox, who are introduced in the first episode and quickly join the main fold of friends, are also original to the anime continuity.
- Christmas Episode: "A Heart Is the Pass!" Also counts as a Heartwarming Moment.
- "Fantastic Voyage" Plot: In one episode ("Did You Say You Didn't Sleep?!"), PaRappa's friend PJ gets infected by a virus, which causes him to grow into a giant every time he eats. This causes PaRappa and his friends to get absorbed into his body and get rid of the virus in order to turn him back to normal.
- Interspecies Romance: PaRappa, a dog, is in love with Sunny Funny, a flower.
- I Was Quite a Looker: Katy's boring neighbor rambles on about this to whoever is willing to listen. Nobody believes her until Katy finds some old posters in a decaying theater of her when she was a dancer.
- Loves My Alter Ego: Paula falls in love with the deejay at Club Fun, unaware that it's actually PJ. She's scandalized when she finds out they are one in the same, even though she could have asked almost anyone and they would have told her.
- Mister Seahorse: There was one episode where the characters mistakenly believe that this happened to PaRappa. It's that kind of show.
- Mood Whiplash: In "That Was Considerably Heavy",
- Music Genre Dissonance: The anime is about a hip-hop loving Funny Animal dog, but the first intro is funk and the second is Rhythm and Blues.
- Poke the Poodle: Gaster begins the series at least mildly criminal by stealing PaRappa's bike and a box of garage sale money, but quickly devolves into criminal acts like tearing posters and picking coins up off of the ground.