Captain Marvel is a 2019 superhero film, and the twenty-first film entry of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It is directed by Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck (Half Nelson) and co-written by them, Nicole Perlman (Guardians of the Galaxy), Meg LeFauve (Inside Out), Liz Flahive & Carly Mensch (GLOW), and Geneva Robertson-Dworet (Tomb Raider).Plot details aren't yet known, but it's been confirmed that the film will be set in The '90s, and will feature the titular heroine as she turns into one of the galaxy's strongest heroes after the Earth is caught in the center of an intergalactic war between two alien worlds — the Skrull Empire, a race of shapeshifting aliens, and the Kree, a militaristic alien race previously seen in Guardians of the Galaxy and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..Brie Larson stars as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel and Samuel L. Jackson is set to reprise his role as Nick Fury, while Ben Mendelsohn is rumored to portray the main antagonist, Jude Law will portray Walter Lawson (a.k.a. Mar-Vell) and Gemma Chan will portray Doctor Minn-Erva, while Lashana Lynch, Algenis Perez Soto, Rune Temte, Robert Kazinsky, Mckenna Grace and Annette Bening have been cast in undisclosed roles. Clark Gregg from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. also returns as Agent Phil Coulson, reprising his role in the movies for the first time since his last appearance in The Avengers in 2012, while Lee Pace and Djimon Hounsou will reprise their roles as Ronan the Accuser and Korath from Guardians of the Galaxy.Not to be confused with the former Captain Marvel of DC Comics, who will also be getting his own film (under the title Shazam) in 2019 — it's a long story.
Captain Marvel provides examples of the following tropes:
- The '90s: The film will be set in this decade.
- Action Girl: Carol was an Air Force pilot even before she got superpowers, and so would be perfectly able to kick ass and take names without them.
- Bald of Awesome: Averted. Nick Fury had a full head of hair in the 1990s.
- The Bus Came Back:
- While Phil Coulson has technically remained part of the MCU with his role in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., this marks his return to the big screen after his "death" seven years – and fourteen movies – ago in The Avengers.
- Same with Ronan and Korath, although those characters outright died in Guardians of the Galaxy. Given that this film chronologically takes place before the two former ones, their appearances are more than justified.
- Chekhov M.I.A.: The movie will explain why Carol hasn't been seen in the MCU for 20 years.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Carol's human DNA is fused with Kree DNA, making her one of these — though not as a product of interspecies romance.
- Mythology Gag: Early set photos reveal that Carol will appear at some point in a palette-swapped version of her uniform that's blue and green rather than her iconic blue and red. The green outfit is a nice echo of Mar-Vell's very first (green and white) uniform as well as that of his Ultimate version.
- Pragmatic Adaptation: Carol's origin will be changed in order to avoid being too similar to Hal Jordan's, who already has a film adaptation.
- Prequel: Like Captain America: The First Avenger, this movie takes place before the events of Iron Man, the first movie set in the MCU.
- Saved by Canon: Fury, Coulson, Ronan, and Korath all have to survive this film. As does the Captain herself; The Stinger from Avengers: Infinity War shows Fury paging her for help just before his death-by-Infinity-Gauntlet.