open/close all folders
- In this ad for Petsmart, a man has an unseen pet named Mr. Barkey von Schnauzer.
Anime & Manga
- In Axis Powers Hetalia, Iceland's pet puffin is appropriately named Mr. Puffin.
- Mr. Tadakichi from Azumanga Daioh.
- Sarasa's Big, Friendly Dog Antoinette Ghandi XIII in Lime-iro Senkitan.
- Mister Soichiro from Maison Ikkoku.
- Sakamoto from Nichijou tries to be this, insisting on "-san" being added to his name. Nano complies, the Professor does not.
- In the English version of Ranma ½, Kodachi's pet is "Mr. Green Turtle". And no, it isn't a turtle but a huge crocodile.
- As a Shout Out to Maison Ikkoku, the inhabitants of Higansou in Otaku no Musume-san get a large dog and name it Mister Soichiro.
Films — Live-Action
- Mr. Bigglesworth from Austin Powers.
- Mr. Smith in The Awful Truth
- Big Fat Liar: Movie producer Marty Fox has a stuffed monkey named Mister Funnybones to which he's... oddly attached.
- Mr. Tinkles, the cat villain of Cats & Dogs.
- True Grit: The cat's name is General Sterling Price, after the American Civil War general of the same name.
- Donald Strachey, private dick, has his dog Dr. Watson in his first movie adaptation Third Man Out.
- In Kingsman: The Secret Service, Eggsy named his dog J.B., after Jack Bauer. Harry, on the other hand, apparently named his training dog Mr. Pickle.
- In the The Voices, one of Jerry's pets is a cat named Mr Whiskers. The other pet is a dog named Bosco.
- Harry Potter: Filch has a pet cat, Mrs Norris.
- In the Discworld book Making Money, Topsy Lavish (née Turvy)'s dog and eventual chairman of the bank is named Mr. Fusspot.
- Peter S. Beagle's Tamsin features a cat simply named Mister Cat.
- From T. S. Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, the magical Mr. Mistoffelees (the only one of all the cats in the book to be named that way).
- In The Dresden Files, Harry Dresden's cat is named simply Mister.
- Pippi Longstocking has her little monkey, Mr. Nilsson.
- Given a medieval twist in A Song of Ice and Fire: Tommen has kittens named Ser Pounce and Lady Whiskers (and another named Boots).
- Variation in Jennings, where Jennings names a guinea pig "F. J. Saunders" and the school cat is named "George the Third" (maybe just indicating he was the third cat called George, but the Headmaster assumes the House of Hanover connection).
- Dr. Henry Metzger the cat, who seems to be the only living thing that Metzger's Dog does not try to kill.
- Variation in Dave Barry Slept Here: James II's dog is named Bart XI.
- Life of Pi has an unusual variation in Richard Parker, the 450-pound Royal Bengal tiger (who's a zoo animal rather than strictly a pet). He's always referred to by his full name. The hunter who caught him was named Richard Parker and wanted to name him "Thirsty" (since he was caught while drinking), but he mixed up the paperwork so that legally, the tiger was Richard Parker and its captor was listed as Thirsty None Given.
- Animorphs had Melissa Chapman's cat, who was named Fluffer McKitty. Marco makes fun of the cat's name at one point, exaggerating it into "Fluffer McNutter or whatever that stupid cat's name is." Note that the trope description, above, uses an example extremely close to this.
- One of Tommen's cats in A Song of Ice and Fire is named Ser Pounce. note
- When Leonard is considering getting a cat in The Big Bang Theory, one of the names he's thinking about is "Colonel Fuzzyboots". Also, in another episode, he mentions his family's cat. "I'm pretty sure Dr. Boots Hofstadter's degree was honorary." Similarly, Sheldon's Manhattan Project of cats in "The Zazzy Substitution" starts with "Dr. Robert Oppenheimer."
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Willow and Tara get a cat and name it "Miss Kitty Fantastico". The cat later disappears without mention. It's brought up later, when Dawn implies in a quick aside that the cat was killed in a household cross-bow accident.
- Drusilla's dog is "Ms. Sunshine."
- Kendra's favorite stake is named "Mr. Pointy".
- On Degrassi, Fiona's ex-girlfriend has a cat named Mr. Tuxedo-Pants.
- On The Dick Van Dyke Show, Sally's cat is named Mr. Henderson.
- In one episode Alan Brady gets Rob to work on a play he's in that's written by a No Celebrities Were Harmed version of Truman Capote. "Capote" has a pet German Shepard named Mr. Ben which he takes everywhere and consults for advice.
- The Drew Carey Show: Drew and Lewis bribe Oswald into voting to sell Buzz Beer by giving him a bunny. Oswald immediately names it Commander Bun-Bun and starts to act like a Diabolical Mastermind with a Right-Hand Cat.
- In Friends, Mr Heckles pretends he has a cat named Mister Bob Buttons.
- Rachel bought a hairless cat she named "Mrs. Whiskerson" because she can't call her "Fluffy".
- Game of Thrones: Tommen has a cat named Ser Pounce.
- Brittany on Glee has a cat named Lord Tubbington.
- Mr. Muggles, the Pomeranian from Heroes.
- In Jessie, Ravi's pet water monitor lizard is named "Mr. Kipling".
- My Name Is Earl: Darnell's turtle is named Mr. Turtle.
- In one episode Joy & Darnell - an interracial couple - interact with a reverse-color interracial couple, Liberty & Ray-Ray. Liberty is Joy's half sister. Ray-Ray has a bearded dragon (a type of lizard) he calls Mr. Bearded Dragon.
- On Psych, Shawn's cat's name is Chairman Meow.
- Sex and the City: Carrie's book reading is interrupted by the appearance of one Mr. Winkle, a real celebrity dog, who has a book of his own, which he's signing (by putting his paw print on it).
- NYPD Blue: Recurrer Sgt. Gibson has an African Gray parrot called The Colonel. During the brief time he's in charge of the squad he brings it in to live in his office, and salutes it asking permission to "come aboard" (presumably as a private joke). Sipowitz teaches it to say "Douchebag" so Gibson will be forced to take it home.
- The famous Mister Ed, of course, of course.
- Clarissa Explains It All: Ferguson finds a kitten and names him "William F. Buckley." Another aspect of the joke is that when the original owner shows up to claim the kitten, his name for the kitten is the far more informal name "Bubblegum."
- In MI High, the Grandmaster has Right Hand Bunny called General Flopsy.
- Doña Clotilde's pet dog in El Chavo del ocho is named "Satanás". Satanás means Satan in Spanish. The joke is that, as she's though to be a witch in the show, every time she calls for her pet they think she is summoning the devil.
- In Cats, the magical Mr. Mistoffelees (the only one of all the cats in the musical to be named that way).
- BioShock: Little Sisters call their pet Big Daddy "Mr. Bubbles".
- In Borderlands 2, Tiny Tina keeps a tiny varkid in a jar, who she named "Sir Reginald Von Bartlesby".
- In Tales of Monkey Island, Hemlock McGee has a cat named Miss Prettywhiskers.
- If you give Anders a cat in Dragon Age: Origins – Awakening, he names it Ser Pounce-a-lot.
- In World of Warcraft, the lich Kel'thuzad has a cat named Mr. Bigglesworth. If you're feeling mean, you can kill it at the beginning of Naxxramas. Which results in Kel'thuzad yelling at you from the depths of the dungeon.
- In Super Paper Mario, Pook has a goldfish called Captain Gills.
- In Tasty Planet Back for Seconds, cats (in the lab and future levels) have random individual names instead of being called just "cat". Sometimes the names get formal prefixes, resulting in names like "Ms. Kitty", "Mrs. Bitey", "Sir Pookie" or "Captain Patches".
- In Wizard101 you can do this, and are strongly encouraged to do so by the system. Pet names are in two parts, a title and a name, and most of the titles are of this nature, though you can pick none.
- Shadowrun Returns Hong Kong had Captain Whiskers, a cat which belonged to the decker Rhombus before its tragic and premature demise.
- In Chapel Chronicles, Chapel's pet hedgehog is named Sir Rupert Tennyson Bollingsworth the First
- Charby the Vampirate has Mr. Noodle, a werewolf infected vampire dachshund that Charby acquired when feeding on what he thought was a dog killed by a werewolf.
- In Eerie Cuties an ancient vampire queen had a kitty named Mr. Boodles.
- Jarad has a pet Gyarados named Mr. Fish in Manly Guys Doing Manly Things.
- Girl Genius had a large mechanical snake toy/pet/assassin which used to belong to the Big Bad before she gave him to her nephew as a christening gift. The Big Bad named said snake "Mr. Hissyfit".
- Housepets! has at least 10 cats called Mr Bigglesworth, due to their owner being a Crazy Cat Lady. They all look the same, though they're not related and some are female. They occasionally mess with other pets who don't know there's more than one.
- John in Homestuck names Rose's mutant cat Dr. Meowgon Spengler, not knowing that she has already named him Vodka Mutini.
- The Order of the Stick:
- Mr. Scruffy, Lord Shojo's (and later Belkar's) cat.
- He gained a canine Evil Counterpart within the Linear Guild with Sir Scraggly.
- There's also Mr. Stiffly, the Monster in the Darkness' name for O-Chul. He counts because he got the name while the MITD was using his paralyzed body like a stuffed animal for his make-believe tea party.
- Sluggy Freelance: After surviving a horrible explosion, Bun-Bun temporarily loses his memory and is adopted by a family that renames him Mr. Fuzbutt.
- Raven's cat in El Goonish Shive refers to himself as Mr. Fuzzball although according to Raven his name is actually Max.
- At one point, Helen from Narbonic tries to control the insane, super-intelligent gerbils she's created with an adorable kitten named Sir Pounce after eating several gerbils, he gets strapped to a bomb, blown up, and sent to Hell.
- Nick's pet raccoon in Samurai Princess is named Mr. Fluffycuddles.
- The Venture Bros.. The Monarch keeps the taxidermied corpse of his old cat, Mister Mostly Mittens, in his dining room. Apparently, it had three white paws and one not-white paw (hence "mostly").
- Mr Cool, the Fonz's dog, from The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang.
- Ms Lion from Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends.
- Mr Cat from Kid vs. Kat.
- In Dan Vs. "The Animal Shelter", Dan takes home a kitten and names it Mr. Mumbles, who keeps that name even when Dan learns that she's a female.
- Mr. Kitty, Eric Cartman's pet cat from South Park.
- Mr. Garrison's toys/pets Mr. Hat, Mr. Twig, and Mr. Slave.
- In one episode Paris Hilton comes to South Park and tries to buy Butters from his parents to be her new pet; she renames him Mr. Biggles.
- Mr. Twitches, Lizzie's pet cat from Tinkerbell and The Great Fairy Rescue
- Mr. Pettibone, Goofy's pet cat in Mickey Mouseworks, House of Mouse, and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
- Mr. Whiskers, the rabbit from Brandy & Mr. Whiskers (although not a pet).
- Mr. Puffy Fluffy from SpongeBob SquarePants.
- Phineas and Ferb
- Doofenshmirtz took in a cat and named it Mr. Fluffypants, after his uncle Fluffypants.
- In another episode, Candace had a bunny that she called Mr. Cutie Patootie. Turned out he was a rogue OWCA agent trying to find Perry's lair.
- WordGirl: Captian Huggyface. Although it's hard to say whether or not he's actually a pet.
- On The Simpsons Nelson's cat is Mr. Mooch and Moe's cat is Mr. Snookums.
- Also, Krusty the Klown's chimp's name is Mr. Teeny.
- Mrs. Boots from Slacker Cats. A Running Gag is Eddie pushing her Berserk Button by continually asking where Mr. Boots is.
- On Family Guy, Peter is revealed in a Cutaway Gag to have once had a goldfish named Lieutenant Shinysides.
- Mr. Jinks from the Pixie and Dixie segments of The Huckleberry Hound Show. He was actually a co-star with Pixie and Dixie.
- Princess Clara of Drawn Together had a cat named Mrs. Fluffybutt. Xandir killed it and made it look like a Mutual Kill with a police officer as part of Captain Hero's attempt to coerce her into a date.
- Rare cow example: Mrs. Calloway from Home on the Range
- Kim Possible villain Dr. Drakken has a pet poodle named "Commodore Puddles".
- In Grojband, Mina's pet cat is named Dr. Purrs.
- On As Told by Ginger, the school principal has a dog named The Duchess. As a slight Running Gag, Carl keeps referring to her as "Duchess" while Hoodsey, as well as the principal, insist on the "The".
- Transformers Rescue Bots features "Mister Pettypaws", owned by resident grumpy old woman Mrs. Neederlander. He gets stuck up trees a lot, and the Rescue Bots have to get him down.
- On Bob's Burgers, one of Aunt Gayle's many cats is called Mr. Business.
- United States President Benjamin Harrison had two pet oppossums named Mr. Protection and Mr. Reciprocity.
- The ill-fated ship's cat on Ernest Shackleton's Endurance expedition was named Mrs. Chippy. (Even though it was actually a tomcat.)