open/close all folders
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Nail informs Piccolo that he knows a dangerous technique, forbidden to ever be used.Piccolo: And we're just going to abuse it?
Nail: Oh, maliciously.
Piccolo: Bitchin'! How we do?
- Kami reminds him that said technique is forbidden after finding out about their fusion, making this a rare case in which this kind of technique is actually acknowledged as being forbidden after its first use.
- As in the original series, Tien's Shin Kikōhō, which he uses against first Nappa, which leads to his death when it takes too much energy from him, and then Semi-perfect Cell, where he spams it to hold Cell off, and uses almost all of his energy, and would have been killed again if Goku didn't bring him to the lookout and give him a senzu.
- Darker and Edgier:
- Season 2 compared to Season 1, owing to the source material.
- Season 3 maintains the series' goofiness, yet its tone is much more serious than the first two seasons.
- The History of Trunks Abridged, while keeping fairly comedic uses heaps of Black Comedy instead of the show's normal humor. But Future Gohan's death is completely respected, just being music and silence as Trunks screams without any attempt to lead into a joke.
- Dark Reprise: Freeza sings a rather dark and creepy version of "My Favorite Things".Peaceful young races with fires on their housesMillions of voices all silenced like mousesWatching the cowards bow towards their new kingThese are a few of my favorite things
- Cell sings a horribly creepy version of "Mr Sandman" at the end of episode 42 (replacing the usual comedic stinger)
- Daydream Surprise: Used to cut out some filler; after being crushed by Vegeta, Goku merely imagines that he's still able to move.
- Deadpan Snarker: Being an Abridged Series, there are many.
- Vegeta when he's not too pissed to form coherent sentences.
- Piccolo. All the time.
- Dende as well.
- Also Androids 17 and 18.
- Points for Freeza who uses Snark to deal with basically everything good or bad that happens to him.
- Krillin occasionally, when not being a Butt Monkey.
- Being the only serious character on the show,note this is the only way for Tien to be humorous.
- And of course, being composed of genetic material from many of the above people, Cell has his moments.
- Death by Adaptation:
- Ginyu. Vegeta was about to let Ginyu go, seeing as he already killed seven of Freeza's elite warriors. And depending if TFS ever planned to abridge Super, it's unknown if it sticks.Vegeta: Psyche! Eight for eight! *SQUISH*
- Remember that planet with the cute critters Goku used to gather energy for his spirit bomb? He later deflects one of Freeza's attacks into that planet.
- Likely also the Namekian child who gets squished by one of the now-inactive Namekian dragon balls in part 2 of episode 30... right after Guru states the same child is the only Namekian he actually cares about...Guru: Ha!
- Ginyu. Vegeta was about to let Ginyu go, seeing as he already killed seven of Freeza's elite warriors. And depending if TFS ever planned to abridge Super, it's unknown if it sticks.
- Death Is Cheap:
- Discussed in episode 30:Yamcha: You make it sound like death has no consequence!
Tien: It really doesn't. We're literally waiting to go back. Hell, this is Chaozu's second time.
Chaozu: Next time, I get a free sundae!
- In episode 34, Trunks points out that, had he not killed Freeza, all of Goku's friends would have been killed.Goku: The dragon wouldn't be happy 'bout that one!
- Bulma combines this with Unusual Euphemism in episode 38:Bulma: Pretty sure I was about to be a wish there.
- Comes back around in episode 45, with the realisation that since Piccolo and Kami fused, that means there are no more dragon balls, and thus, death suddenly isn't so cheap anymore.Tien: Holy shit.
- Discussed in episode 30:
- Defeat Equals Explosion: The use of this trope in Dragon Ball itself is lampshaded.(Vegeta hits the ground, large explosion. Later, he crawls out.)
Vegeta: (gasping) Why did I explode?
- Defeat Means Friendship: Goku thinks this is the case with Vegeta. In reality, not so much.Goku: We're friends now, right?
Vegeta: F*ck off.
Goku: The best!
- Delegation Relay: Freeza tells Zarbon to give the command. Zarbon tells Dodoria to give the command. Dodoria gives the command to nameless mooks. Nameless mooks follow said command and die like flies as the above three stand around looking bored.
- Plus the Dragon Balls being used for the Unspoken Plan from King Kai.Shenron: How can I be of service, Lord Popo?
Popo: Good question. Kami, the f**k am I doing?
Kami: Good question. King Kai, the f**k is he doing?
- Plus the Dragon Balls being used for the Unspoken Plan from King Kai.
- Delicious Distraction:
- Goku has this in spades. Anytime anything with reference to any food is mentioned around Goku, he plays this trope straight. He does it when his ribs are being crushed by his brother...Raditz: (stomps on Goku's ribs) STOP IGNORING ME!
Goku: AH! MY RIBS! I THINK YOU BROKE MY- Mmmm... Ribs...
- And twice while fighting Vegeta, enough to get the latter enraged enough to destroy Earth.
- In episode 4, during the Shout-Out to Pac-Man, Goku stops in the maze to eat a steak just laying there, while being chased by Princess Snake's head.
- Goku has this in spades. Anytime anything with reference to any food is mentioned around Goku, he plays this trope straight. He does it when his ribs are being crushed by his brother...
- Department of Redundancy Department: Piccolo: "And now to redeem myself, through one final act of redemption!"
- Krillin: "On the plus side, I no longer have to pee anymore."
- Cooler 2: The Return of Cooler's Revenge
- Despair Event Horizon: Vegeta, upon realizing Goku is the last remaining Saiyan. His eyes say it all.
- Description Cut: When Goku wonders where Bulma is in episode 22, Krillin assumes she's doing "something girly". Cut to her fighting a Giant Enemy Crab underwater in a Mini-Mecha.
Vegeta: I will kill as many people as I have to as long as you are one of them!
- In episode 15, when Zarbon and Freeza's discussion of Dodoria's abilities are inter-cut with her failing at every instance.
- In episode 39, Trunks refers to the Androids as humanity's greatest threat during an internal monologue. Cut to Vegeta and 18 fighting on a highway, with Vegeta causing tons of collateral damage trying to catch 18, who is causing none. The cherry on top though, is:
- Destructo-Nookie: It seems Saiyans can't have sex without blasting their signature attacks through the roof of whatever building they're in. Vegeta and Goku do this in episode 34 and 55, respectively. A deleted scene from the Future Trunks film would have had Gohan doing the same.
- Deus ex Machina: Pulled off with Yajirobe in episode 10, if only because he hadn't even been mentioned at all in the Abridged Series up until he cut off Oozaru Vegeta's tail, though he does appear during the training with Popo.
- Then there's this exchange:Goku: I brought some senzu beans.
Krillin: Whoo-hoo! Legume Ex Machina!
- The fact that the Muffin Button saves Goku's life when Namek explodes.
- Then there's this exchange:
- Diagonal Cut: Trunks lampshades this when he explains that he spent a month practicing the move so the bodies would fall just right.
- Didn't Think This Through: Garlic Jr.'s plan in "Dead Zone Abridged". He attempted to kill Piccolo, and then use the Dragon Balls.note When this is pointed out, Garlic Jr. acknowledges that he dodged a bullet thanks to the incompetence of his minions. As do the minions themselves.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?:
- Freeza calls God a jackass after He tries and fails to strike him down.
- Dende pulls off a magnificent one against Freeza by stealing his wish out from under him, then taunting him about it. He even goads Freeza into attacking him, only to be teleported to Earth before the attack can hit.
- Die or Fly: Completely Averted. When Gohan is thrown towards the cliff, he flies face first into it, complete with whining.
- Dirty Old Man: As of Episode 28, it would appear King Yemma has gotten bored, and is forcing the dead to strip down naked when he judges them. That's why Vegeta comes to Goku naked in a near-death experience.
Vegeta: Idiot, you don't take your clothes with you when you die.
- Or he just felt like Vegeta deserved a little humiliation.
Goku: Well, I did.
Goku: Yeah. Even had my weighted clothes on, too. And I didn't even die in those. Hmmm...
Vegeta: THAT LYING RED MOTHERF*CKER!!!
- Disappeared Dad: As the series has progressed, Gohan is displaying increasing anger and disgust with his generally ineffective and absent father. It becomes an asset after Captain Ginyu steals Goku's body, and Gohan launches into a violent rage while shouting all the things that Goku has subjected him to.Gohan: Think, what would my dad do?
Goku: [in Gohan's mind] Bye, son!
Gohan: I'm beginning to think I have issues.
- Discontinuity Nod:
- Done by Guru as he reads the disclaimer for Episode 24. He sounds audibly surprised that Dragon Ball GT is included on the list of Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball-related intellectual property.
- Freeza short-circuits in episode 33, as if unable to process that Dragon Ball GT is considered Toriyama's intellectual property, and King Cold has to finish for him.
- Discriminate and Switch: Played straight, then quickly subverted when Gohan and Krillin see Freeza, Zarbon, and Dodoria for the first time.Krillin: Jeez, these aliens are scary. Especially [Freeza]. Looks like a total FAG.Gohan: Krillin!Krillin: What? A Freaky Alien Genotype. (Beat) What did you think I meant?Gohan: Oooh. I thought you were calling him a derogatory term for a homosexual.Krillin: THAT THING'S A GUY?!
- Disproportionate Retribution: "Hello, and welcome to the Heavenly Check-In Station. Please no cutting in line. If you are caught cutting in line, you will be sent straight to hell." Of course, cutting in line in front of the gate of heaven before your soul is judged really isn't a very smart move.
- This exchange from episode 25:Dende: (To Freeza) They're from Earth.
Krillin: Little Green, why??
Dende: Because my name is Dende.
- Dende shows the same behavior later, when he tries to convince Gohan not to ressurect Krillin, simply because Krillin is annoying.
- The Androids destroy Country Music because of Yamcha's shitty cat food commercial.
- This exchange from episode 25:
- Distant Reaction Shot: In episode 18, when Vegeta discovers that Gohan swiped his stashed Dragon Ball, we get a string of these showing that Vegeta's yell is audible across Namek, in Goku's spaceship (still in space), in Yemma's house in the afterlife (he assumes it's his wife), and Earth 20 years in the future ("Daddy?").
- Another one when Krillin gets barfed on by Freeza in 28.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Bulma upon seeing Zarbon. Until she sees him transform...
- When Freeza gets a closeup look at Goku's abs, his first response is, "Oh my god, you could grind meat on it."
- Does Not Understand Sarcasm: Goku and Zarbon.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: ... let's just say this crops up a lot around Zarbon.Vegeta: Face down with another man beating your ass. Is it Wednesday already, Zarbon?
- In episode 32, Krillin explains to Gohan why he's so certain that Freeza is on his way to Earth.Krillin: Gohan, when you've had a man inside of you, you know when he's coming.
- In episode 44, when Cell is having a Aren't You Going to Ravish Me? fantasy with Nicky Town, his tail starts moving suggestively.
- In episode 32, Krillin explains to Gohan why he's so certain that Freeza is on his way to Earth.
- Don't Explain the Joke: Subverted at one point. When Pavlov's effect is mentioned, the TV actually switches to a report explaining its origin. However, the TV switches back to the fight before the announcer can actually explain the joke.
- Played straight a couple episodes later:Vegeta: Now it's time to reveal my giant monkey... [camera over his crotch]
Crowd: [collective gasp]
Vegeta: ...form. [camera pans to his face]
Crowd: [sighs of relief]
Man in Crowd: Thank God, I thought he meant penis!
- Piccolo also does this when arriving where the Androids are supposed to show up.Gohan: What do these people do here?
Krillin: Apparently, prostitution is legal.
Piccolo: So the prostitutes...
- Played straight a couple episodes later:
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": When Vegeta mentions Goku's birth name, Kakarot, to Captain Ginyu (while the latter is broken and beaten on the ground in Goku's body), this discussion occurs...Vegeta: Hahaha! The best part about this? I get to kill both Ginyu and Kakarot at the same time!
Goku!Ginyu: Wait, who's Kakarot?
Vegeta: You're Kakarot.
Goku!Ginyu: I thought his name was Goku.
Krillin:: His name is Goku!
Vegeta: No, it's Kakarot!
Goku!Ginyu: But he just said "Goku".
Krillin:: Yeah, I did!
Vegeta: I know what he said! Bu-
Goku!Ginyu: So what is it? Kakarot, or Goku?
Krillin/Vegeta: It's Goku/Kakarot!
Vegeta: NO, NO, NO! Just... Look. His Saiyan name is Kakarot, but he changed it when he landed on Earth as a baby, so they kept calling him by his Earth name, and I am calling him by his real name.
Ginyu!Goku: So does that make me Ginyu?
Vegeta: *Screams at the top of his lungs while he flies towards Ginyu*
- The Door Slams You: Episode 41. Krillin Owned Count: 31.
- Dope Slap: When Goku keeps mispronouncing the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, Mr. Popo begins to suspect he's doing it on purpose, and finally smacks him off the lookout.
- Double Entendre: Zarbon practically lives off of these.
- Vegeta likes to invoke this trope to mock Zarbon.Vegeta: Now let me put this in a way you'll understand: I'm about to blow my load all over your insides...
Zarbon: What... the...
Vegeta: No homo.
- Zarbon's association with this trope is even well known to Freeza.Goku: (screaming due to his burning posterior) My butt is flaming!!
Freeza: ...I miss Zarbon.
- A whole slew of these were thrown in episode 24 when Goku was explaining his situation to King Kai after he landed on Namek.Goku: Well, when I got down here, I ran into some really weird guys. One was really big and muscly, but he went down really easy. Then these two guys double-teamed me. One of them took it really hard in the back, but the other didn't seem that interested, so he went and brought this really horny guy.
George Takei: Oh, my.
- Krillin gets a lot of these from episode 31 on, such as Gohan and his mother's tuna.
- Vegeta likes to invoke this trope to mock Zarbon.
- Drama Bomb: For a comedy series, seasons 2 and 3 have a lot of these. 42 is perhaps the best example of this trope, since it deals with Kami fusing with Piccolo or let the entire human race be in danger, all the while Piccolo gives him a "What the Hell, Hero?" speech. Kami fully understands what he has to do while going over how being the guardian of Earth makes him a prisoner and unable to interact with anyone else.
- Double Take: Happens on Namek:Vegeta: "The Ginyu force could be here any second and then we'll..."Ginyu: "Hi Vegeta."Vegeta: "Hi Ginyu. And then we'll-"*[Beat]*Vegeta drops a censored out Cluster F-Bomb
- Dream Team: Voice, editing, and writing by some of the best abridgers out there.
- Driven to Suicide:
- An army of children and teens who thought Gohan and Krillin were Freeza's goons went this path in episode 12.
- Yamcha in the Bad Future Trunks is from.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: In Kai Abridged 2, Goku's ship kills the Ginyu Force.
- Dude, Not Funny!: In-universe example. Once Vegeta called Android 18 a "smug c%#!", everyone reacts with shock, good guys and bad guys alike.
Ōzaru!Vegeta: What's the opposite of Christopher Walken?Goku: What?Ōzaru!Vegeta: Christopher Reeve! [crushes Goku's lower body]Goku: [gasping in pain] That was in terrible taste!
- He does this earlier during the Saiyans Saga, after transforming into an Ōzaru.
- Dumbass Has a Point:Following Cell apparently killing PiccoloGohan:I'll kill him, I'll F**king kill him!Goku: You can't. Cell is too strong for you.Gohan: Mr. Piccolo would let me go!Goku: No he wouldn't, and he's smarter than me.Gohan: I...Wow, okay that's actually a good point.
- Dying Declaration of Hate: Guldo gave one to Vegeta when Vegeta broke up Guldo's reflections on the afterlife by being a Jerkass to Guldo one last time.
- Dying Declaration of Love: In Nicky Town, a local radio host declares feelings for his co-host as Cell is eating him.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Vegeta and Nappa in episode 1, Guru and Nail in episode 5, Trunks in episode 18, and Cooler and an infant Broly in Bardock Abridged.
- The mentions of Bojack are a partial example since we're told he's there and we hear his voice a couple times, but we won't see him until they abridge his movie (if they do so).
- Maron was also mentioned in the Christmas Tree of Might special, having been shown in the credits sequence.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Generally averted, but in the first Dead Zone abridged movie (made before the official formation of Team FourStar and not on the channel), Gohan was portrayed as mentally handicapped ("I know how many toes a fish has!"). In the regular series, he's probably the most intelligent character of the bunch.
- In the pre-TFS abridged movies, most notably The World's Strongest, Goku was portrayed as a Trickster, being able to outwit his opponents. He was also portrayed as mean-spirited, especially towards Krillin, and swore often. These traits carried over into the first two DBZ Abridged episodes, after which Abridged Goku became the food-obsessed Idiot Hero that is Too Dumb to Live that we all know now. The intense beatings and resulting brain damage seem to be the primary cause.
- A lot of the characters formerly played by Vegeta3986 can be seen as invoking this, particularly Kami, who started out as a typical wheezing old man when Vegeta voiced him (akin to his voice for the Hokage in Naruto The Abridged Series) and transformed into a Deadpan Snarker on Piccolo's level once Remix took over.
- Similarly, the early episodes (and non-TFS movie adaptations) portrayed Yamcha as The Ace of the series. Other characters regularly opined how much easier things would be if he were around, and the Z Fighters become excited when he arrives to help fight off the Saiyans. Cue the Saibamen death. From that point forward, he became the show's regular punching bag.
- The first season had more wacky humor, and characters would occasionally break the fourth wall. Once season two began and the show found its style, the characters stopped interacting with the fourth wall and things got a bit more serious.
- The voices in the first episode weren't quite refined yet. Krillin's voice hadn't yet settled into that consistent high-pitched goofy tone, Vegeta's voice was a dead-on Christopher Sabat impression, and Master Roshi was voiced by Masako X instead of Lanipator.
- The narrator (voiced by LittleKuriboh) only jumped in a couple of episodes of season one and two. By Season 3, he's practically absent in both Android and Cell sagas.
- As revealed in the breakdown for Episode 49, Season 1 was presented in widescreen, using footage from Funimation's Orange Brick DVD sets (which were cropped to make the footage fit in a 16:9 aspect ratio). All subsequent seasons are presented in the show's original 4:3 aspect ratio, using footage from the Japanese Dragon Box sets, which, according to KaiserNeko, are "the closest you're going to get to the original masters".
- Ear Worm: In-Universe. Yamcha's cat food song is heard sung by Tien in his head when Piccolo contacts him telepathically. The one with it in his head is not amused by this.
- Out of universe, the "Moustache song" that serves as the stinger of episode 49. Now with an official video !
- Eccentric Mentor: Guru. "I'm about to misuse my hand upside your head!"
- Elite Mooks: The Arlian elite guards get wiped out in a second.
- Epileptic Flashing Lights: Jeice and Burter's combo attack "SEIZURE PROCEDURE!" It gives Krillin unlucky number 13 on his Owned Count.
- Especially Zoidberg: When Goku finds his allies dead.Goku: Hey guys, what'd I miss? Oh... are they all? Tenshinhan... Piccolo... Yamcha... Oh wow, especially Yamcha.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Guldo aside, the Ginyu force are all very close and supportive, and care deeply about each other.
- As seen in episode 45, Mr. Popo actually misses Kami.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Mr. Popo does not torture... cats...
- Killing and maiming is one thing, but televising it for the enjoyment of others? Even Vegeta finds that tasteless.Vegeta: And-is that a camera? What kind of sadistic retard watches this crap?!?
Freeza: [watching this on his TV] Love this show.
- Killing and maiming is one thing, but televising it for the enjoyment of others? Even Vegeta finds that tasteless.
- Everybody Laughs Ending: Goku, Gohan, Krillin, and Piccolo have one after Goku's Bond One-Liner, then subverted when Freeza reveals the Spirit Bomb didn't kill him.
- Everyone Can See It: Gohan and Krillin guess immediately upon meeting him that the father of Bulma's baby was Vegeta. Goku and Piccolo don't count cause they had prior knowledge.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Princess Snake, who's voiced as though she were Solid Snake.
- Evil Albino: Parodied and Zigzagged. First discussed and lampshaped amongst the Namekians that the cause of a worldwide drought on Namek was due to a race of "filthy and evil" Albino Namekians, which were all killed off in a great war. Later it's revealed that Guru's own selfishness in drinking all of Namek's water was what caused the drought, and then shifted the blame onto the Albino Namekians. Realizing they had slaughtered an entire race of what were most likely innocent people, the Namekians promptly rip Guru to pieces.
- Evil Brit: Freeza, Cooler, and Android 20.
- Evil Counterpart: Inverted with Blue Popo, who is the good counterpart to Mr. Popo. Things don't end well for him.Mr. Popo: Prepare to be assimilated.
- Evil Laugh: Mr. Popo. Prepare for restless sleep tonight, kids!
- Piccolo really gets into it as well in the first two episodes.
- CELL. Dear god, Cell.
- Evil Twin: In the end of the Lord Slug movie special, Slug is implied to be this to Guru. It's the other way around.
- Evil Sounds Deep/Creepy Monotone: Freeza in Episode 24.Freeza: Oh no, don't mind me. By all means... (voice drops two octaves) Give me some ideas.
- Android 19's voice synthesizer drops a few octaves when it finally initializes its murder.exe program.
- Evolving Credits: The credits are updated occasionally to reflect the arc in question. Spoofed for the Garlic Jr. "arc", which gets a whole new set of credits to make it seem important only to have Popo unceremoniously kill him off in the same episode.
- Exact Words:
Android 16: ''These parameters... are acceptable.''
- King Kai said "Yeah, all of you can go straight to Hell" right before sending the Ginyu Force to Hell.
- Android 16 is programmed to kill Goku. It is a simple repetitive thought in his head. So when he finds Cell composed between 10% and 11% of Son Goku it is justification enough to fight.
- Exactly What I Aimed At:
17: Oh. Oh. Oh s*it-
- Goku spends several seconds arguing with Freeza about having missed until Freeza just decides to let the eventual volcanic eruption speak for itself.
- In Revenge of Cooler, Piccolo fires a blast at Neiz, who dodges it by retracting his head. Sauza immediately points out that it was aimed at Doore, who gets vaporized.
- Piccolo against Cyborg 17 in Episode 46 has him miss 17 with all the energy bolts he fires. 17 even asks if he's aiming for him. Piccolo replies no, and then 17 realizes he is now surrounded by the energy balls and they attack simultaneously.
Piccolo: HELLZONE GRENADE!
17: Aw man it's even got a cool name- *Boom*
- Exactly What I Meant To Say:
Mook: All right, stay where you are and we'll shoot you.
- Two of Freeza's mooks spot Krillin, Gohan, and Bulma not long after they get to Namek.
Krillin: Don't you mean "or we'll shoot you"?
Mook: We know what we said.
Goku: So, you return once again, Freezer.
- Cooler gets in on it in his second movie.
Cooler: Yes, I have returned, dumbass.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Space Australia.Krillin: So it's like Australia...
Jeice: ...In space.
- Executive Meddling: It has the power to turn Bardock into a Super Saiyan apparently.Bardock: OF ALL THE STUPID... ASININE... SHARK-JUMPING BULLSHIT!!!
- Extreme Melee Revenge: Goku incapacitates Nappa in less than ten seconds, and proceeds to break his arm and throw him across the field.Nappa: Not that way. My arm doesn't bend that way! *crack* AWW, NOW IT DOES!
- Eye Scream: Vegeta's at the receiving end of three of these in the Season 1 finale.Vegeta: GAH! My eye! Why is it always the goddamn eye!?
- Made into somewhat of a Brick Joke in episode 18. When Vegeta pops a blood vessel in his eye, it pops in his right eye. The same eye that was both elbowed by Gohan and blasted by Goku in the aforementioned episode.
- Again in Lord Slug Abriged when Gohan defeats a mook by shattering the glass visor of his helmet.Mook: OH GOD, ALL I SEE IS GLASS AND BLOOD!
- Fake-Out Opening: Episode 31's opening credits show scenes from the filler Garlic Jr. saga, making you think the entire arc will be adapted. Mr. Popo however resolves the plot rather quickly.
- Fake Static: Goku somehow manages to trick King Kai into thinking he hung up... during a telepathic conversation. This is immediately lampshaded by King Kai himself:King Kai: He hung up on me! How the hell did he even do that?!
- False Reassurance: To reassure Krillin he won't retaliate for wounding him so Vegeta can get a power boost, Vegeta tells him, "I will not PUNCH you".
- And when Krillin does shoot him, Vegeta mutters, "You are so punched!"
- Famous Last Words: Has its own page.
- Fantastic Racism: Complete with Fantastic Genocide. The Namekians keep referring to a race of Albino Namekians that were "purged" and that they all view as hideous.
- And of course, Freeza, though as he puts it, he can't be racist against a race that doesn't exist. Like the clorfors. They tried to clorf him out of his money, so he blew them up.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Vegeta being haunted by Ghost Nappa, whatever Mr Popo did to Garlic Jr. and alluded to when Gohan tells Goku to head for the hills for accidentally knocking Chichi through a wall mid rant
- Gohan: DAD RUN!Goku: What?Gohan: THE WORST SHE CAN DO IS GROUND ME, NOW RUN!
- Faux Action Girl: Chi-Chi gets to beat up two Mooks during the Lord Slug movie with the "Housewife Style! Kick of a thousand menstrual cycles"Chi-Chi: See? Just because I'm a woman... [gets instantly knocked out by another henchman]
Bulma: That actually lasted longer than I expected.
- Feel No Pain: Krillin receives a kick from Recoome that throws his nervous system out of whack and leaves him unable to feel the pain from the kick... for a few seconds.
- Female Alien Surprise: The most accurate description we've got for Dodoria being female.
- Filler: While it does move the plot forward a bit, most of the scenes in Episode 44 serve only to show off how horrifying Cell is. Especially considering that Episode 44 covered the events of a single episode from the source material, whereas almost every other episode covers multiple episodes from DBZ.
- Finishing Each Other's Sentences: Done at least twice:Vegeta: All I have to do now is stay under the radar and not fly around like a jackass saying—
Krillin: I've got a Dragon Ball!
Vegeta: I was gonna say, "come and get me Freeza", but that works too!
- Not long after that:Zarbon: Maybe Lord Freeza won't find me if I just stay low and don't fly around like a jackass saying—
Vegeta: Come to papa, you bald bastard!
Zarbon: I was going to say, "come and get me Freeza", but that works too!
- Played with a few moments later:Bulma: Oh my god, [Zarbon's] so hot! I just want to grab him and...
Goku: (doing training) ...sixty-nine, seventy, seventy-...
Vegeta: ...One time you defeated me, Zarbon, and that's one time too many!
- Not long after that:
- Fish out of WaterVegeta: The hell is soap?
Bulma: It's that yellow block made of animal fat.
Vegeta: That sounds awesome! (Chomp) Blah! This tastes nothing like what you just said!
- And he doesn't know what a condom is either, which results in Trunks being born.
- Fix Fic: The abridgement of "Episode of Bardock" appears to be this, as the creators have gone on record as calling it the worst (non-live-action or GT) film or special in the franchise, for having a really dumb plot that makes no sense and trying to develop Bardock into a standard hero when his lack of heroic qualities were what made him appealing. Their version of the special refuses to have Bardock grow attached to the annoying Saiyans, instead remaining a Villain Protagonist throughout, while revealing the nonsense plot to be the result of it being a story told to Gohan by Goku inside of two dreams.
- Flame War: For quite a popular series, these are prevalent in the forums and on Youtube. Also mentioned in the FAQ Specials.
- In the TFS FAQ Special, Vegeta says that somebody who asks who to voice for will be flamed. Along with that, in the 2nd TFS FAQ Special, Chaotzu insults people who want to audition, saying that "they have no talent" and that "they suck".
- NEVER... EVER... EVER... speculate about a future appearance of Ghost Nappa.
- There are also debates of how Guru is either a great and hilarious character or a horrible and predictable character.
- Nappa himself. Some people just plain hated him.
- Surprisingly, Popo hasn't received any negative criticism... yet.
- They just know better.
- _O O_
- Flat "What.": This exchange:Vegeta: Look at you, Dodoria, you're always so damn proud. And now here you are, crying like a woman!
Dodoria: I AM A WOMAN!
- Also this:
- After Piccolo's death.Gohan: I'm going to eviscerate you and use your gushing intestinal tract as a condom while I fornicate with your skull!
Gohan: I'm gonna skull-f*beep* you!
- And again while trying to save Goku:Gohan: Law of Mass dictates that the mass of an object dramatically increases the force of impact when said object collides with the ground! And with your size, you'll make an extensive impact upon your inevitable defeat!
Oozaru!Vegeta & Goku: What?
Gohan: The bigger they are, the harder they fall!
- Two in rapid succession in episode 16:Yamcha: But I waxed off everything. I waxed off your car, I waxed off your house, I even waxed off your monkey.
Piccolo: Okay, I just started paying attention. What.
Yamcha: Seriously, when are we going to learn the Kay-o-Ken?
King Kai: What.
- In episode 24, after Freeza delivers an Offhand Backhand to Nail:Freeza: I've had a worse time, you know. It's not often I dirty my hands with this sort of grunt work. There's always a certain amount of satisfaction I get out of doing it myself.
[Freeza begins laughing - and after a few seconds so does Nail]
Freeza: Ah... it is kind of funny, isn't it?
Nail: [still laughing] I'm laughing at something else, actually.
Freeza: [still laughing] What?
Nail: [still laughing] The Earthlings have the password.
- And this exchange:Zarbon: Too bad... and that Bardock was such a dashing rogue...
- Foil: Goku is the perfect counterpart to Freeza. Not only do Freeza's attempts at intimidating Goku fall flat, but Goku is literally too dumb to insult.
- Food as Bribe: Freeza offers to give Goku a pizza if Goku will let Freeza power up to 100%. Goku's having none of it. Then Freeza offers two pizzas. Goku still isn't interested, and charges at Freeza. Then Freeza offers two pizzas with stuffed crust...
- Foreign Cuss Word: In Episode 27, the Jamaican crab describes Freeza as a "bumboclaat," referring to him as toilet paper, considered an extreme form of insult in Jamaica.
- Foreshadowing: During the Namek saga, anyone who recites the opening disclaimer will die in one to two episodes (Except Vegeta, who recited two separate disclaimers before dying. Because he's that awesome.)
Vegeta: "Well if it isn't Faggoty Andy and On The Raggedy Anne."18: "I'm going to break his arm."
- There's also Popo at the start of that same saga.Mr. Popo: See you all when you get back! Except... this season... (looks to Krillin) you...
- Spoofed in episode 7, after Nappa forgot why he and Vegeta came to Earth, Vegeta says, "One of these days you're going to die. Then you'll be out of my hair forever." This is followed by the caption Epic Foreshadowing.
- After witnessing Guldo's death, Jeice, Recoome, and Burter decide who gets to tell Captain Ginyu by shouting "Not it!" Jeice loses. Later on, he gets to tell the captain, but after the rest of the Ginyu Force is killed.
- A subtle one in episode 22:Freeza: I'll dispatch of this worm and then I'll be back for you, slug!
Super Kami Guru: Leave my brother out of this!
- And another one right at the beginning of episode 30 (part one)
- After being hit with his own attack:Freeza: Daddy, I don't want to be on Namek anymore.
- Trunks asks why Freeza has spare parts sticking out of him. Freeza says he's the ultimate union of science and nature, but Trunks is obviously unimpressed.Freeza: Impudent little...! These are not "spare parts"! What you are looking at is the ultimate culmination of science and nature!!
Trunks: Oh, wow! I've... never seen that before.
- At the beginning of the "Episode of Bardock" special, Bardock says a certain character's catchphrase. It's because it was All Just a Dream Gohan had.Bardock: Aw, crapbaskets.
- After seeing 19's inability to dodge, Dr. Gero shouts in bewilderment as to why dodging is a subroutine. Despite the fact he programmed 19 and should know why it's a subroutine. It's pretty clear that Gero isn't as competent as he thinks, especially considering his problems with the previous three androids.
- When 18 finds 16, she asks if he's Gero's secret project. His answer: "No, he's in the base-I MEAN, YES! Very secret! DON'T TOUCH!
- Shortly thereafter, Gero says that Android #16 isn't properly programmed; 17 responds by referencing Android #13 and his Southern accent.
- Goku's reason for not teleporting to stop Freeza is he wanted to give the others a shot at saving the day. Piccolo begs him not to do that again but Goku makes no promises. Fast forward to Goku's fight with Buu and his reasons for not beating him when he could...
- In Episode 39, when Vegeta catches up to the androids and lays some smack talk, 18 provides some of this. Particularly funny because it directly references what happens in the actual series.
Trunks: Is this all just a GAME to you?!Cell: A game? Hardly! If this were a game, I'd be having fun. Or killing Goku. Now THAT sounds like a good time.
- In episode 43, Cell spits out a baby's pacifier, commenting on how it's not even the right hole. Later, Android 18 is going to get out through the same path.
- When Semi-perfect Cell sees Piccolo recovered from wounds that should have killed him, he asks how durable is piccolo, then how durable he is. This question gets answered after he blows himself up trying to kill everybody with him, and is able to recover from that, which even he didn't realize he would survive.
- He also is surprised by Goku's ability to teleport and makes a note to look into the techinque later. When he self destructs, Goku takes him to King Kai's planet to minimize the damage. Cell returns to earth afterwards by using Instant Transmission.
- In episode 53:
- There's also Popo at the start of that same saga.
- Forgot About His Powers: Done frequently.Vegeta: Hey, wanna see something cool?
Android 15: Yeah, O.K.
(Vegeta turns Super Saiyan.)
Trunks: Oh right, Super Saiyan. (Trunks turns Super Saiyan)
Goku: Oh right, Super Saiyan. (Goku turns Super Saiyan)
Dr. Gero: Oh shit, Super Saiyan. GAAAAHHHHHHH
Gohan: Why did it take them so long to do that?
Krillin: You know, I stopped asking that question a long time ago.
Gohan: And then you used your Kienzan and cut him in half?
- Krillin's one to talk...
Freeza: *appears* I will mount your head where my tail used to be!!!
Krillin: ...to answer your question, Gohan...no. I did not do that.Gohan: Krillin, why aren't you using your Kienzan?
Krillin: Yeah, you know, I keep forgetting to do that.
- Forgot I Could Fly: Played for Laughs literally when Goku jumped out of a hospital in Episode 13 hoping to be caught by Nimbus. He could've just flown out of the hospital room.
Goku: It's not like I can just jump down there, grab him, jump back up and... wait. *teleports*Gohan: Did he seriously just remember he could do that?Mr. Popo: Your father's an idiot.
- Nappa forgets he could fly... while he was flying.
- From Episode 48:
- Forgotten Phlebotinum: Gohan wonders why Krillin never follows up his Solar Flare (which blinds and incapacitates stronger enemies for a while) with his Destructo Disk (which is slow but can cut even much stronger opponents).
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: There is one in episode 15. Try to find it. (It's Freeza naked in the Shower.)
- CALISSE D'OSTIE DE TABARNAC, MY EYES!
- Happens again in episode 25. This time an even more disturbing image. (It's Dodoria in lingerie.)
- And again in Kai Abridged 2, this time being a picture of Lanipator dressed as Dr. Frank-N-Furter.
- Yet again in Episode 43, with a picture of what appears to be two cicadas mating.
- Another in episode 51 at 12:01 with a (cropped) picture of Cell raping 18.
- In Episode 7, when Piccolo says the Saiyans are looking for the one with the strongest power level. After Gohan agrees with Piccolo's claim of being the strongest living person, Mr Popo is seen laughing in the background standing on top of a mountain. Can you find it? (It's at 1:57)
- When Goku's ship lands on the Ginyu Force in Dragon Ball Z Abridged 2, you can actually see the interior of the ship
- In the Super Android 13 movie, if you look closely during 13's big Groin Attack against Goku, you can see a small explosion. Two of them, actually.
- One of the Running Gags in Episode 54 is Cell building the Arena for the Cell games...only for one tile to end up green. If you pause the video while the tiles were flying though the the air the first time, indeed one of them is green.
- CALISSE D'OSTIE DE TABARNAC, MY EYES!
- Freudian Excuse: Turles hates Christmas because Santa Claus never visited Planet Vegeta, and they only got Freeza's Day (when he blew up the planet). It's actually revealed that Santa tried to visit the planet several times, but they always tried to blow up his sled.
- Subverted when Vegeta tells about how he's always lived under Freeza's rule and has lost his entire race. Goku thinks that means that without Freeza he wouldn't have been evil.
- Freudian Slip: Krillin does this with Bulma by calling her "Boobs" in the first episode. Also a reference to Naruto The Abridged Series.
Bulma: So... do you think the carpet matches the drapes?
- Krillin slips again when Bulma starts asking about Future Trunks in the episode 33 stinger.
Krillin: I 'unno, do yours?
Krillin: What? It was a le-gina-mate question - I mean a legitimate ques - whatever.
- Freudian Slippery Slope: When Goku telepathically reports on his fight with the Ginyu force to King Kai:Goku: I ran into these really weird guys. The first one was big and muscly, but he went down real easy. Then these two guys double-teamed me. One of them took it really hard in the back, but the other didn't seem that interested, so he brought this really horny guy.
George Takei: Oh my!
Goku: Who's that, King Kai?
King Kai: That's George Takei. Somehow he made this into a three-way.
George Takei: Oh my!
King Kai: Call! Three-way-call!
- Friendship Moment: Goku and Piccolo have a couple of these in Episode 34, in which one of them suggests going out to drive cars, with the other enthusiastically agreeing.
- More humorously his agreeing to lie to Chichi about training Gohan (and prevent Goku from being murdered)Piccolo: What are you talking about we're just studying. [beat] Let's go drive cars again.
- Krillin and Future Trunks start bonding over making laser noises when using ki attacks.Krillin: That was fun. We should hang out more.
- More humorously his agreeing to lie to Chichi about training Gohan (and prevent Goku from being murdered)
- Frothy Mugs of Water: Mercilessly parodied, with DBZ inspiring the Trope Name.
- "I'm drinking OJ! *Ding* Now it's apple juice. *Ding* Now it's beer. YAY BEER!"
- And later... "Now it's a Nestlé Crunch bar! Now it's a gummi bear! Now it's Nappa!"Nappa: Wait, what the hell?
- Full-Name Basis: The Androids (including Gero) usually refer to Goku as Son Goku.
- Funny Background Event: While Vegeta's trying to figure out what's going on with his scouter, you can hear Goku mercilessly beating the crap out of Nappa.Nappa: My arm doesn't bend that way! MY ARM DOESN'T BEND THAT WAY! (*snap*) Ha, now it does!
Piccolo: No! No! No! ARG MY GLUBARK!
- Also used when Freeza is beating Piccolo as Goku charges the spirit bomb
- At various moments in episodes 40, 41, and 46, we have Yajirobe and Dr. Briefs fighting (offscreen) over the former's raiding of the pantry. In episode 40, Yajirobe lays claim to it, with Dr. Briefs responding that he has a gun. In episode 41, we hear Dr. Briefs shooting at Yajirobe, who is apparently carrying the fridge. And finally in episode 46, it seems Yajirobe has come out victorious, and has gone on to raid the fridge in the basement lab...which doesn't actually contain any food.
- Fun with Acronyms: According to Krillin, Freeza is a F.A.G., a Freaky Alien Genotype.
- Vegeta calls Zarbon a Freaky Alien Genotype in episode 17.
- Episode of Bardock Abridged has the Super Polymorphic Unleashing Gel, or "SPUG" (Pronounced "spooge").
- In Christmas Tree of Might, S.N.O.W. Man, AKA Sentient Non-Organic Work Manager.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: The Krillin Owned Count started as an amusing gag about how ineffective he is. It gets a lot more depressing when the count keeps increasing as he's trying to protect/avenge 18 from Cell.
- Fur and Loathing: Spoofed. Princess Snake says, "I love this fur coat. Especially since I killed all the animals myself."
- Furry Fandom: Brief joke in the first FAQ Special when Nappa mentions editor/writer Kaiser Neko.Nappa: Well, it's edited by the TIGER KITTY!
Vegeta: Kaiser Neko, Nappa.
Nappa: Meow! *materializes cat ears on his head*
Vegeta: Oh, Goddamn it, Nappa!
- Gagging on Your Words:Vegeta: Every fiber of my being wants to puke at once when I say this, but I need your hahh... I need your hahhaahhah...
Gohan: You need our help?
Vegeta: That, yes.
- Gag Penis: Recoome, allegedly.Burter: I've got his right leg.
Jeice: I've got his left.
Guldo: I've got his middle.
Yemma: Next. Strip. Next. Strip. Next. Strip. [Beat] Nice!
- There's also a stinger scene with King Yemma:
Unseen Voice: Recoome thanks you!
- Genius Ditz: Nappa. Come on, the guy at least graduated from Saiyan University with a degree in Child Psychology.
- With a minor in pain!
- Get A Hold Of Yourself Man: When Vegeta is freaking out about the Ginyu Force Guru tells Nail to slap him. And Nail slaps Krillin. Still seems to snap Vegeta out of it.
- Giant Enemy Crab:Bulma: I FOUGHT A GIANT CRAB!
Krillin: ...They make a special shampoo for that, I hear—OW!
- "Gift of the Magi" Plot: "Christmas Tree of Might" has Yamcha receive a lifetime supply of gasoline at the end, after the car he spent his life savings on was destroyed.
- Gilligan Cut:
- When Goku asks where Bulma is, he figures she's just doing her hair or something. Cut to:Killing crabs! In the ocean! Kill it fast! Pain explosion! Yeah!
- Spoofed when Vegeta works out that Gohan and Krillin have summoned PorungaVegeta: Oh you MOTHERFU-
Cuts to Krillin Gohan and DendeVegeta (off screen): CCCKKKKEEEERRRRSSSSSPiccolo (also off screen): Ow my ears!
- At the start of episode 27, Goku reflects that he's sure everybody is just fine. Cut to:Vegeta: Healer's down!
Krillin: Need a rez!
Gohan: Out of mana!
Vegeta starts screaming and they all follow suit.
- The worst of it is they are in front of Freeza's perfect form.
- And when the Ginyus insult King Kai:
- In episode 38, Gohan wants to check up on Goku, who was taken away by Yamcha to give him his heart medicine. Piccolo assures Gohan that Goku's fine. Cut to Goku thrashing around in pain.
- In episode 39, Trunks laments how the Androids are "humanity's biggest threat". Cut to Vegeta and 18 with Vegeta killing countless people shouting about how he'll kill as many people as he needs to in order to kill her.
- When Goku asks where Bulma is, he figures she's just doing her hair or something. Cut to:
- Giving Up on Logic: In Christmas Tree of Might, Goku starts trying to talk to the titular tree to get it to leave Earth. Yamcha tries to explain that trees can't talk only to be cut off by Slay's voice which appears to answer for the tree since Slay is offscreen. Yamcha gives up in exasperation. The whole exchange is the page quote.
- Go Into the Light: Parodied in Episode 47. Android 16 is powering up his arm cannons above Cell and this conversation occurs:Cell: I think I see a light.
Android 16: Walk towards it!
blasts Cell with his arm cannons.
- Golden Snitch: Freeza's scavenger hunt:Freeza: Normal human heads are worth one point. Namekian heads are worth twenty. Filthy half-Saiyan brats, fifty. And if you find any miserable, odious, insubordinate, full-blooded monkey garbage... you win.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: Vegeta. Poor, poor Vegeta.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Guru's death of being eaten alive by the Namekians who were infuriated that he had them slaughter thousands of innocent Albino Namekians during the Great Drought. Bulma, Gohan, and Piccolo are absolutely horrified by the brutality, and even Vegeta looks a little appalled.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!:
- Vegeta's monologue at the end of episode 19."Son of a gum-chewing funk moster! Why the fruit does all this funny stuff happen to me? For-get my life! Always surrounded by miserable failing clods. Like this whole world just likes to bend me over, AND FIND ME IN THE ALPS! Like I'm some sort of schlock receptacle. Well, as far as I care, these miserable cows can have a fancy barbecue, WITH A GODDAMNED PIG!!"
- Goku also delivers one of these as a Pre-Mortem One-Liner in Christmas Tree of Might and Lord Slug Abridged, the latter's line referencing this this trope's use in the official dub.
- Goku referencing the "kid-friendly" name for Hell.Goku: Guess they want a Goku fanny whoopin'!
Goku: Chi-chi doesn't like us to swear.
Bulma: "Butt" isn't a swear.
Goku: The HFIL you talkin' about?
- Vegeta's monologue at the end of episode 19.
- Gratuitous Japanese:
- The title of episode 19, plus the Ginyu Force theme. It's meant as a parody of the sentai shows that inspired the Ginyu Force, though the episode title itself comes off as a bit wonky if you speak Japanese.note
- In episode 25:Freeza: (after killing King Vegeta, without the usual exuberance associated with the phrase) "Yatta." ("I did it", in a victorious sense) note
- Botched by Piccolo when he tried to say his attack's Japanese name (Makankosappo), finally he just decides to go with Special Beam Cannon. The Japanese name is pronounced correctly by Cell.
- When grabbed by Freeza in Kai Abridged Episode 2, both Goku and Vegeta blurt out "No Freeza-dono, yamete!" with "Yamete" meaning "stop!" in Japanese and "dono" being an honorific for someone of high status.
- Gravity Is a Harsh Mistress: Vegeta ask to Dr. Briefs for a ship with an artificial gravity of 400 times earth's gravity. Lampshaded by him and Bulma how insane the request is.Bulma: How exactly you gonna work when your body collapses?
Vegeta: Please, the prince of all Saiyans does not colla- (collapses)
Bulma: Oh look, the prince of all two Saiyans on the ground!
- Greater Scope Villain: While Vegeta was the Big Bad of Season 1, Team Four Star made it pretty clear that Freeza was lurking around the corner. And during the Ginyu Saga of Season 2, Cooler and King Cold's names were thrown around.
- Greek Chorus: Piccolo and Tenshinhan have taken on this role in the latter half of the Cell Saga, commenting and lampshading the events of the plot.
- Groin Attack: Krillin is consistently worried about the harm Chi-Chi will inflict on his genitals, first for Goku's death and Piccolo taking Gohan, then later for any harm that might befall Gohan.Krillin: I like my penis where it is.
Vegeta: He keeps kicking me in the dick.... Why does he keep kicking me in the dick!?
- Happens to Vegeta in episode 10.Vegeta: [kicking Goku] You still haven't hurt my pride! [Gohan attacks Vegeta] Ow, my pride!
- Freeza does this to Goku in episode 30.Goku: Ow, my Gotens!
- Vegeta is repeatedly subjected to this by Cooler and his metal clones in Cooler 2: The Return of Cooler's Revenge - The Reckoning. The first time it happens, it is accompanied by a Sickening "Crunch!" while Ave Maria briefly plays in the background.
- Implied to happen repeatedly off-screen when Goku and Vegeta fight a huge army of Cooler clones as well.
Vegeta: Not so funny now, is it, Kakarot?
- Super Android 13 land a blow to Goku's dick as the camera abruptly shifts to the future. The blow was so hard it wiped Goten from existence.
- Happens to Vegeta in episode 10.
- Gut Punch: A fairly meta example: Late into the Android arc, Cell's arrival. He enters singing a gravelly rendition of "Mr. Sandman" in a scene that quickly dispenses all of the humor of the show, and greets Piccolo with an ominous "Hello... Friend." before the episode cuts. Literally. For the first time in the series, there is no ending song or stinger, just his creepy breathing.
- Hands-Off Parenting: When Gohan tells Goku to hang Freeza by his entrails, Goku realizes something is up with his son... and thinks Piccolo should sit him down and have a talk with him.
- Hand Wave:
Chilled: Because of Raisins!note [Beat] Raisins is my intel-guy.
- Spoofed in the Bardock special episode. How does Chilled know about the healing spooge?
Popo: "Kami!! I need to hear you say that I can leave the lookout if I want to!!"Kami: "Mr. Popo, you can leave—"Popo: "BITCH DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!"
- In the original series, Mr. Popo was visibly distraught at Kami's impeding fusion with Piccolo. Since that would be horribly out of character for the Abridged version, a Handwave is given that he had just dropped a gallon of LSD and is in the middle of a drug induced Freak Out.
- Happy Dance: In addition to Dragon Ball Z's Dance of Joy (which he is contractually obligated to perform by King Cold), Ginyu also does the "Daddy's Little Princess Dance" (commanded by Cooler) the "Dance of Cheering You Up", and the "Dance of Solitude".
- Harmless Villain: Garlic Jr. He's actually set up to be a pretty serious threat, he just has the incredible misfortune of running afoul of Mr. Popo straight out of the gate.
- Has Two Thumbs and...: Does a spoof on it, combined with a Pre-emptive Declaration.'Eighteen: So, who has two broken arms and is a total bitch?Vegeta: You... stupid... bint... You only broke one of my- [*CRACK*] AAAAAAAAAAIIII!Eighteen: This guy.
- Head Desk: Done in episode 21 when Nail, tired of Guru's orders, goes outside for twenty minutes and does this.
- The Hero Sucks Song: Yamcha the Scarfaced Bandit..
- Heel–Face Door-Slam: Episode 47 features Android 16 saying that he's come to appreciate the planet Earth and its beauty, ending by asking to not destroy the planet. Androids 17 and 18 seem to agree, even including a Call Back to 17 wanting to be a park ranger. Then Cell returns and absorbs 17, cutting that short.
- Heel–Face Turn: Subverted: Freeza, when he asks for and receives energy from Goku, he actually contemplates the second chance he has been given and considers changing his ways for a second...then decides against it.
- Her Codename Was Mary Sue: The Dead Zone Abridged remake turned out to actually be Krillin's pitch for a movie, mostly inverting this trope: although the narrator starts calling Krillin awesome at the end, his actual role in the movie is as humiliating as the "real" Krillin's life and so irrelevant Nappa questions why he's there at all (and why he wrote a scene where Gohan pees on him).
- Heroic R.R.O.D.: After his rage-induced scream in Episode 18, when Vegeta is next seen his eyes are bloodshot and he is driven insane, talking in Hulk Speak and hallucinating Ghost Nappa. He later proceeds to pop the blood vessels in his eyes right as he is about to utterly erase Krillin from existence, but he instantly recovers upon sensing Gohan's power level and has no recollection of what just happened.
- His eyes bleeding looks similar to his nosebleed in Episode 9.
- Hesitation Equals Dishonesty: On the part of the Narrator, after Goku becomes a Super Saiyan for the first time.King Kai At last, Goku... has become... the ONE...and ONLY... SUPER SAIYAN! *pause* Right?
King Kai You hesitated there for a second...what?
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Lampshaded with Tenshinhan and Chaotzu. Subverted with Yamcha and Pu'er.Tenshinhan: Chiaotzu! My partner!
Tenshinhan: Hey! At least I don't spend all my free time living alone with a cat!
Yamcha: Hey! At least I get some puss— ...wow, that did not come out right.
- Arguably, Vegeta and Nappa.
- Goku and Krillin. He ranks Krillin above Gohan in importance on Namek, and refuses to hear Trunks out about the future until he confirms that Krillin is okay.
- Also in 'Revenge of Cooler' he tells the henchmen to put down Krillin after his food and before his 'two emergency foods' (Oolong and Icarus). Coming from Goku, that says a lot.
- After Chaiaotzu's Senseless Sacrifice:Tenshinhan: Krillin! He was my closest friend... I... I loved him.
Krillin: As a memorial to Yamcha... Gay.
- Burter & Jeice.
- In Episode 25, Guldo says that Burter is gay.
- The rather ongoing joke with Yajirobe and Korin.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: While not a complete childhood, Piccolo's mentorship of Gohan can be summed up in one word: DODGE!
- Hilarious Outtakes: Good luck getting through this video without laughing at least once.
- Hiroshima as a Unit of Measure: Vegeta and Nappa measure themselves and the heroes' power levels in "Raditz" (who had a power level of 1200).
- Ginyu had a standing bet with Burter over whether or not Guldo would die, with the wager being "50 Raditz". It Makes Just as Much Sense in Context.
- Presumably, he was betting 60000 of something. Of what, of course, we don't actually know. Space Dollars, maybe?
- The ad for "Spacey's" promotes the chain's Raditz Menu, made up of items that cost only a Raditz. Whatever it means as a currency, it's evidently not very much. Oh, Raditz.
- The Raditz currency is referenced again in Episode 28: "New Game 1/2 Raditz"
- Ginyu had a standing bet with Burter over whether or not Guldo would die, with the wager being "50 Raditz". It Makes Just as Much Sense in Context.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Krillin, in the FAKE Namek episode. Bonus because the FAKE Namekians are inspired by the Plutonians from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
- Councillor Nappa believes that Freeza can be dealt with by looking him dead in the eye and saying "Don't blow up my planet".King Vegeta: And you think that'll work?
Nappa: He'd have to be awfully evil if it didn't. And I'm not gonna lie... I like the cut of his jib!
- Councillor Nappa believes that Freeza can be dealt with by looking him dead in the eye and saying "Don't blow up my planet".
- Ho Yay: Nappa found the (male) L cosplayer hot in the AWA special.
- Holding Back the Phlebotinum:
- Used to explain why Mr. Popo was absent during the battle with Vegeta.Goku: Mr. Popo! I need your carpet to get to my friends as quickly as possible!
Mr. Popo: [from inside Kami's house] Makin' toast!
- Happens in the original too, but made much funnier here.Vegeta: You... Green thing... Heal me...
Dende: Oh, I'm sorry, I'm having trouble hearing you over the smell of my people's blood on your hands.
- Used to explain why Mr. Popo was absent during the battle with Vegeta.
- Hollywood Atheist: Every doctor and scientist is staunchly against the idea of God and spiritualism.Trunks: Mom, do you believe in fate?Bulma: Well I'm a scientist, so no.
- Hope Spot:Gohan: Piccolo's actually standing up to him (Freeza), Krillin!
Krillin: I don't believe it! We may actually win!
Vegeta: Yeah, that's just... great... if you'll excuse me though, I gotta... bye!
- How Would You Like to Die?: Freeza's closing line in Episode 24:Vegeta: Don't you understand? If I didn't get my wish, then I'm not immortal, and Freeza is going to... going to... (stammers upon seeing Freeza)
Freeza: Oh don't mind me, by all means... Give me some ideas.
- Hulk Speak: An enraged Gohan starts speaking this while beating on Freeza for stabbing Krillin.
- And yet he still has shades of Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness.Gohan: Gohan smash effeminate alien! Gohan strongest there is!
- And yet he still has shades of Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness.
- Humanoid Abomination: Mr. Popo.
- Humiliation Conga: Vegeta. After having his tail cut off, being blasted by a Spirit Bomb, getting crushed by a naked child, and almost killed by Krillin of all people, he escapes to his pod, only to be greeted by... GHOST NAPPA!Vegeta: Crushed and broken beneath a naked unconscious child...yep, I think I'm done here.
- Yamcha is subjected to one in episode 35: having to deal with Bulma having Vegeta's child, hearing his "cat loves food" song from Yajirobe's car (he did it for money and it wasn't worth it to him), getting attacked and nearly killed by the Androids (with a truck showing up playing his song no less), to Krillin's bad puns.
- Hurl It into the Sun: How Cooler goes out. The first time, anyway.
- Hurricane of Puns: Goku in Episode 30, part 3, unleashes a slew of puns based around Freeza slicing himself in half. It gets to the point that you can't tell if he's groaning because of the injury or the jokes.
- Krillin does this after Yamcha gets impaled in a city where prostitution is legal.
- Hypocritical Humor:
- Guru calls Kami a pretentious prick for calling himself God* . Immediately after that, Guru tells Nail to call him Super Kami Guru.Nail: Can't I just call you Guru for short?
Guru: Super Kami Guru allows this.
- In the Christmas Special:Tien: (after he is revealed to be Jewish) I'm just trying to be culturally sensitive... you Buddhist ass!
Krillin: (a little offended) Well, happy holidays to you, too.
- Vegeta displayed this when attacked for the second time by Yajirobe.Vegeta: You... you cut through my armor! This was a gift from my father!
Yajirobe: I'm sorry! I'm sure your father was a great man!
Vegeta: I hated my father!
Yajirobe: Oh, well then I'm sure he was a total prick.
Vegeta: [attacks Yajirobe]' How dare you talk about my father like that!
- Whenever someone announced the name of their special attack with grandeur, Piccolo is quick to insult it (an early example being his "Laaaaame!" response to Krillin's Destructo Disk). Then there are Nail's reactions to Piccolo's own current (Special Beam Cannon) and proposed (Hellzone Grenade) attack names.
- He also comments that Cell's name is boring, despite being himself named after an instrument (Cell calls him out on it.)
- Krillin laughs at how little Gohan has grown in the 3 years preparing for the androids. Goku points this out in his usual fashion.
- In Revenge of Cooler Cooler will stand around and talk about how he's better than Freeza, who would stand around and talk.
- Guru calls Kami a pretentious prick for calling himself God* . Immediately after that, Guru tells Nail to call him Super Kami Guru.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: When, appropriately enough, Cell's right arm and shoulder were blown off by Vegeta, who's laughing maniacally about it:Cell: [pained voice] You... think this is funny? YOU THINK THIS IS FUNNY!?! It's not... as funny... [normal voice] as your face. *Instantly regrows arm*
- I Am Not A Pokémon: Poor Chaotzu.Nappa: Vegeta! Look! A Pokémon.
Chaotzu: I'm not a Pokémon, I'm Chaotzu! Chaotzu!
Nappa: Hear that, Vegeta? It's a Chaotzu! (generates PokéBall from his hand) I'm gonna catch it!
Chaotzu: I told you, I'm not a-
(Throws PokéBall at Chaotzu)
Nappa: Aww! It didn't work, Vegeta!
Vegeta: That's because you have to damage it first.
Nappa: Alright! I'll see if I can get a critical.
- I Die Free: Suggested by 17 and 18's comments in episode 47. They acknowledge 16's point that fighting Cell and even sticking around to see the fight is a bad choice, but it's theirs to make.
- If I Wanted X I Would Y: If Vegeta wanted to watch over a hundred episodes of filler, he'd watch InuYasha.
- Ignored Epiphany: Subverts the original Funimation dub of Vegeta's dying words to Goku, where he suggested that Freeza was responsible for what he became, and pretty much ignored that after being revived; in DBZA, Goku attempts to suggest that Freeza made Vegeta evil, but Vegeta insists that he'd definitely be evil if Freeza hadn't been there.
- Played straight with Freeza in the final part of episode 30, when, after being thoroughly defeated, he ponders if he should turn over a new leaf. Of course, he decides "Naaaaaaaah!" and tries to blast Goku one more time. It doesn't end well.
- I'm a Humanitarian:Yajirobe: You gonna eat that Saiyan?
- And in the second blooper special, along with trying to eat Tien's arm:Krillin: Yajirobe, what were you doing here to begin with, anyways?
Yajirobe: Well, I thought I smelled something cooking, but then it just turned out to be Yamcha's body.
Krillin: ...Wait, you didn-
- One of Bardock's teammates asks an unconscious Bardock for permission to eat a dead alien.
- And in the second blooper special, along with trying to eat Tien's arm:
- I Just Want to Be Special: Burter's reason for claiming to be the fastest in the universe.
- Instant Wristwatch: Offhandedly mentioned by Cell in episode 53.Cell: You know, if I had a watch I'd be looking at my wrist really condescendingly right now.
- The Immodest Orgasm: Bulma has this when she and Vegeta have sex in episode 34. Come to think of it, Vegeta ALSO has this, and has one so hard he blows a hole in the wall (with the Gallick Gun).
- Phallic gun anyone?
- Immune to Bullets: Used to hilarious effect in the cold open to episode 12.
- Implied Death Threat: When Bulma bitches out Gohan while they're escaping the doomed Namek, Gohan calmly asks what height a person would have to fall from to reach terminal velocity. Bulma promptly shuts up.
- Incendiary Exponent:Vegeta: *Upon sensing Gohan's power level on Namek* Hey! Show yourself before I turn this place into a barren wasteland. So basically the same, only on fire.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: After learning that Zarbon is actually straight Freeza kills a random henchman as an excuse to leave so he doesn't have to admit that he thought Zarbon was gay.Freeza: Oh no, that minion died. Could you go fix that? We'll continue this conversation never.
- Inelegant Blubbering: Vegeta finally snaps in Episode 27 when he completely fails to do anything to Freeza.Freeza: See? It's like I told you, Vegeta - like a bitch.
Vegeta: [voice cracking] SHUTTUP!
Freeza: Oh my god, You actually are crying!
Vegeta: [hoarsely] 'M NOT CRYING! 'M NOOOT!
- Also his tantrum when he tries to become a super Saiyan.
- Future Trunks did this when he met Gohan in the ruins of a recently destroyed city.
- His tantrum is echoed by Cell when Vegeta gains the upper hand in the fight.
- Infallible Narrator: Lampshaded when the narrator tries to get in on King Kai's betting pool over Vegeta and Goku's battle.King Kai: Don't you already know the outcome of the fight?
- Informed Ability: Jeice eventually calls out Burter on his claim of being "the fastest in the universe." Especially since Guldo can stop time.
- NO! NO! NO! I AM NOT SLOWER THAN &^%$ING GULDO!
- Turns out the whole reason for it was a massive inferiority complex, and how he felt useless alongside his teammates, so he invented the "Fastest In The Universe" bit so that he'd have something special to call his own.
- NO! NO! NO! I AM NOT SLOWER THAN &^%$ING GULDO!
- Inherently Funny Words: Mahogany
- Inner Monologue: Freeza has a casual danger inner one in episode 27. It starts with him hating how many of his men had died on this mission and ending with him thinking on what to send to the Ginyu Force's families, such as a nice wine, a gift basket, or maybe a gift basket with wine.
- Innocent Innuendo: From episode 17:Freeza: Zarbon really screwed the pooch on this one!
Zarbon: Lord Freeza, Vegeta's really giving us a pounding!
Freeza: I'm coming Zarbon! Quick, grab my balls!
Ginyu Force: (laughter)
- Krillin and especially Super Kami Guru to Gohan. Since Guru's happened after the Acceptable Targets quote above, it's not clear exactly how innocent it is.
- And this moment from episode 31:Chi-Chi: Alright, I demand to know who's been spreading rumours that I've been forcing Gohan to, and I quote, "POUND MY TUNA"!
Krillin: Look Chi-Chi, if it upsets you that much, we'll ALL take turns pounding your tuna okay? But, only if we get to eat it together.
Roshi: (Hysterical laughter in the background)
- In-Joke: "DO AS I SAY FOR I AM THE HEAVENLY BUDDHA!!!"
- Insistent Terminology: According to Dr. Brief, cappucino isn't coffee.
- Guru is to be addressed as Super Kami Guru... except by Nail, who is allowed to call him Guru for short.
- Whenever someone pronounces Freeza's name wrong (as either Freezer and Friezanote ), he corrects them by calling himself Lord Freeza.
- Defied with the Androids, despite both Trunks and Cell pointing out that they're cyborgs. Funnily enough, Dr. Gero himself uses the term anyway for his cyborgs, but this is probably less of an indicator of his intelligence and instead a demonstration of his lack of empathy towards his creations, due to the 'dehumanizing' implications of his use of terminology.
- However, it turns out the terminology is entirely correct with one particular case, as Cell is quick to find out...
- Insurance Fraud: Krillin manages to get a huge amount of money by taking out a life insurance policy on himself before going to Namek (he even got triple payout for dying while off-planet), then pretending to be his own Backup Twin named Juan Sanchez when he's brought back to life. Too bad the government was on to him.
- Interplay of Sex and Violence: Cell uses a lot of sexual innuendo with regards to "drinking" people and seems to enjoy the act a little too much, which serves to make him even creepier.
- Internal Retcon: Episode 6 hangs a lampshade on King Kai's explanation for Planet Vegeta's destruction, which is completely at odds with series canon. Turns out that Freeza's a Wiki Vandal:
- Ironic Echo: Piccolo telling Gohan to "Dooodge!", as mentioned above
- "I'm back." *BAM*
- "Ooooh, I see what you did there..."
- And this exchange:Freeza: So, did you eliminate everyone on the planet?
Dodoria: Complete Annihilation.
Zarbon: ...Where are all your men?
Dodoria: Complete Annihilation.
Zarbon: (later, as Bardock's pod surpasses Freeza's ship) So, "Complete Annihilation", huh?
- In the same special, Freeza debates giving his brother Cooler a call because it's Cooler's birthday, but decides against it because he's a prick. At the end of the special, Goku's pod is detected by Cooler's ship. He orders his men not to fire on it. When asked why he replies "Because I'm a prick."
- "My mother's dead." "I know."
- Goku and Piccolo's dialogue in Episode 29 when Goku needs to finish up the Spirit Bomb is a slight variation of a similar scene in Episode 2, complete with "Mahnah Mahnah" song. Piccolo even lampshades it given the role reversal ("Did you just hold a grudge?")
- Unintentionally done by Goku. He spams the Kidney Punch tactic on Freeza much like how Freeza did to Vegeta.
- Freeza tried to crack jokes about the Namek race to Nail to no response. When he attempts it with the same sort of setup while fighting the Z-Warriors, he gets interrupted (read: punched to the wayside) by Piccolo who simply answers, "Just one."
- When Gohan said "I need an adult" the first three times in Episode 18, he said it as a reaction to potentially...squeamish situations. When he said it again in Episode 49, after being locked in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber with his dad, it was because he felt Goku wasn't mature enough to train him.Gohan: I need an adult.
Goku: I am an adult-
Gohan: No. No, you are not.
- "I'm back." *BAM*
(About to be killed by Freeza's death-ball)
- Bardock averts it.
Bardock: Well, I'd say 'I should have seen this coming,' but that would be ironic.*
- Kami notes to Piccolo he is basically a prisoner to his position. High on his outlook for 300 years he has been forced to watch as wars, famine, disease, and vicious villains slaughter thousands, lacking the power to stop any of it. And when he finally gets a chance to help protect his planet, he must surrender his free will to Piccolo, becoming a prisoner inside him. Piccolo is stunned for a few seconds.
- Goku's "Freeza was Cooler and Cooler was Freeza" is a callback to Cooler claiming he was cooler at the end of Cooler's Revenge.
- Trunks declares the Androids the greatest threat humanity faces, followed by a cut of Vegeta murdering random civilians in order to kill Android 18. Add in the fact that Vegeta only didn't exterminate humanity due to Goku's intervention, and personally carried out countless other planetary genocides, and they don't seem so bad in comparison.
- At the beginning of the Android saga, Chi-Chi looks forward to Gohan studying cellular biology, to which he replies "But cells are boring". Not a whole episode later, they first find traces of a "cell" who is anything but.
- Is It Something You Eat?Piccolo: I'm not a Goddamn Yoshi!
Goku: But you said you were.
Piccolo: It's called sarcasm.
Goku: What's that taste like?
Piccolo: Dammit, Goku!
- Later subverted:Trunks: Wait, you mean you two never got married?
Vegeta: What is that, some kind of food?
Trunks: No. Just listen: When two people love each other-
Vegeta: Oh wow. I'm just f*cking with you. My God. Who doesn't know what marriage is?
- Possibly a reference to the original manga in which Goku thought a bride was something you ate and the concept had to be explained to him while Chichi was demanding he fulfill his promise.
- Later subverted:
- Is This Thing On?:Ghost Nappa: *tap tap* "Is this thing on? Is it on? Okay there we go! *clears his throat* YOU ARE NOW THINKING ABOUT WHAT ZARBON DID TO YOU WHILE YOU WERE UNCONSCIOUS. Have fun with that."
- It's Pronounced "kah-ee-oh": King Kai berates Yamcha for saying "Kaiou Ken" with the original (as in no longer used) US pronounciation of "kay-oh."
- It's Snowing Cocaine: Mr Popo supposedly consumes a gallon of LSD, which is enough to get an entire city tripping.
- It Was His Sled: In-universe example - Vegeta already knew that Freeza blew up his home planet. Freeza really needs to stay off the (Space)Twitter.
- Jackass Genie: Shenron, in the Christmas Tree of Might abridgedShenron: Yeah.. yeah ok. I'll give you your tree. I'll give you the best damn tree you've ever seen! WAHAHAHA-AHAHAHA!
Krillin: Thank you!
Shenron: Oh, don't thank me. 'Tis the season of giving.
- Justified in the Running Gag that Shenron is really tired with people asking for simple wishes, primarily by the heroes again and again and again.
- Though he tones it down in front of the actual Genie who doesn't grant wishes but certainly has the Jackass part down.Shenron: I am the eternal dragon. Speak your wish and I shall... Oh, it's you my master. Is it time to lay waste to this world?
Popo: Eh, not yet. Give em a couple hundred years. See if they can clean the place up.
- Bad Santa Slay in "Christmas Tree of Might" also qualifies. A kid wants a fire truck? He drops a real one on the kid's head. Another kid wants his cancer gone? He blows the kid up - no more cancer!
- Jacob Marley Apparel: Many of the dead seem to follow this, except for Vegeta. But that's because Yemma told him he couldn't take his clothes with him. Vegeta was not amused when he learned Goku kept his clothes.
- Played with in that Goku mentions he got to keep clothes he WASN'T wearing at the time.
- Jaw Drop: Krillian gives a rather over the top one when Maron reveals she's actually a government agent and has evidence of him committing insurance fraud.
- Jerk Ass:
- Piccolo. One example includes deliberately telling Gohan to let Tenshinhan fight Nappa alone to avenge Chaotzu, despite Ten's constant desperate pleas for help. He eventually elevates to Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
Gohan: Where's my daddy?
- Another example:
Piccolo: I hate to tell you kid but your dad's dead. Actually, no, I love saying that. HAHAHA your dad's dead!
Piccolo: Aw, dammit. This is why I hang out in the wastelands.
- Cooler is a prick.
- Guru and Popo to the point that even Freeza seems nicerSuper Kami Guru: I feel they've finally summoned the dragon... it would be a real dick move to die right now...hurk.
- Also:Popo: (after having explained his pecking order) Any questions?
Krillin: Yeah, how...(gets kicked off the lookout, adding another tally to his "owned" count)
Popo: Enjoy the climb back up, bitch! (to Tien, Yamcha, and Chaotzu) Any more questions?
- Dende is becoming one of these. His hatred for Krillin is so intense he gives up the location to Earth as payback for being called "Little Green". And when Krillin is stabbed by Freeza, Dende revives him, but also tells him he's immortal, probably in the hopes he'll get himself Killed Off for Real. The only person he respects is Gohan.
- Dr. Briefs seems to treat his wife poorly and called Dende a fag.
- Even with his new ally status, Vegeta is still cocky, arrogant, egotistical, petulant, stubborn, selfish, abusive, violent and downright rude.
- Piccolo. One example includes deliberately telling Gohan to let Tenshinhan fight Nappa alone to avenge Chaotzu, despite Ten's constant desperate pleas for help. He eventually elevates to Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Jerkass Has a Point: In episode 39, while pissed at Trunks' continual pleas to wait for Goku, Vegeta screams that Goku is rarely ever present to fight the bad guys. Piccolo notes he is right.
- He also points out that if Trunks wanted the heroes of Earth to be more prepared for the Androids, he should have given the group a photograph of what the androids looked like.
- Jumping the Shark: In-Universe. Upon learning that he has been sent back into the past, Bardock declares it "shark jumping bullshit".
- Just a Stupid Accent:
- Jeice's Australian accent from the Ocean dub is exaggerated to the point he spits out Australian slang every chance he gets.Krillin: We get it! You're from Space Australia!
- The phrase "Good Night Irene" is a reference to Australian MMA commentator Mike "The Voice" Schiavello, who is referencing wrestling commentator Gorilla Monsoon, who said it when wrestler Adrian Adonis performed a sleeper hold.
- Jeice's Australian accent from the Ocean dub is exaggerated to the point he spits out Australian slang every chance he gets.
- Just Between You and Me: Vegeta tells Cui how he got his ass kicked by Goku & Co., after explaining the Saiyans' ability to gain power from being beaten to near-death. Cui still thinks their Power Levels are the same (18,000), and doesn't get it.Cui: "Why are you telling me this?! You'd never tell anyone this!"
Vegeta: "Easy - because I know you'll never tell anybody, Cui."
Cui: "But, but I hate you! Why would I—"
* Vegeta obliterates Cui*
Vegeta: "God, I love therapy!"
- As in canon, Piccolo tricks Cell into talking this way.
- Just Eat Gilligan: When Roshi and Bulma summon the dragon to resurrect Goku, the dragon actually suggests that they just wish for him to drop the incoming bad guys off into a sun or something instead. note They don't listen.
- The Namekians could have avoided "The Purge" if they had noticed that Guru's massive weight gain coincided with the Great Drought. Of course, once Guru reveals this, they really do eat him.
- Just You Me And My Guards: Attempted by Turles in the Christmas Tree of Might special.
- Karma Houdini: Despite being Played for Laughs, Nappa has this going for him. Gleefully killed (or tried to kill, in some cases) Goku's friends and son, as well as all the havoc he wreaked during his best day ever, yet every misfortune balances out. Goku beat him to a pulp and revealed that Piccolo's death destroyed the dragon, but Nappa took it in stride. Vegeta killed him, but Nappa almost immediately started haunting him. To top it off, he even gets revived by Mr. Popo's wish, and goes on to become a Hollywood producer.
- Guru attempted to be this, until the below happened.
- Karmic Death: Guru confessed in Episode 30 (part 2) that HE was the cause of a massive water shortage on planet Namek and lied about it, shifting the blame onto the Albino Namekians, which led to the Purge.... He revealed it was all his fault... right before he thought he was going to die, but he didn't, so the Namekians finished him off.
- Dr. Gero suffers this twice. First being beheaded and crushed by the Android he created and then being blasted to pieces, while his mind was uploaded to a super computer, by Krillin who he had grievously wounded.
- Keet: Goku in Episode 17
- Know When to Fold 'Em:
Master Roshi: Listen, sometimes you gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. And, right now, it's foldin' time. PIG, GRAB M'DICK!
- Vegeta knows it's over after Gohan crushes him.
- Episode 43; Cell recognizes that he's in trouble when he realizes that Piccolo has absorbed Kami, and decided to make a tactical retreat once Trunks and Krillin show up.
- Word for word in Episode 48
Oolong: Please tell me you mean the submarine.
- Kill It with Fire: Bulma's exact words when she sees Zarbon transform.Bulma: And we're going to make love every single KILL IT WITH FIRE!
- Killed Mid-Sentence: Yamcha, Cui, and King Vegeta.King Vegeta: Freeza, can I sit down and have a word with—
- Also happens to VegetaFreeza: No seriously, you have no idea how old that got.
- Also happens to Vegeta
- Knuckle Cracking: Spoofed with the neck version. Inspired by Piccolo's satisfying neck cracking, Krillin tries it, only to get a meaty crunch and hurt himself.
- The Krampus: In a Running Gag in the Christmas Special, various characters wonder if Jinga and Beru are the Krampus.