DBZ Abridged: Tropes D to K
This page covers tropes in Dragon Ball Z Abridged
.Tropes A to C
| Tropes D To K
| Tropes L to R
| Tropes S to Z
open/close all folders
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Nail informs Piccolo that he knows a dangerous technique, forbidden to ever be used.
Piccolo: And we're just going to abuse it?
Nail: Oh, maliciously.
Piccolo: Bitchin'! How we do?
- Kami reminds him that said technique is forbidden after finding out about their fusion, making this a rare case in which this kind of technique is actually acknowledged as being forbidden after its first use.
- Darker and Edgier:
- Season 2 compared to Season 1, owing to the source material.
- Season 3 maintains the series' goofiness, yet its tone is much more serious than the first two seasons.
- Dark Reprise: Freeza sings a rather dark and creepy version of "My Favorite Things".
Peaceful young races with fires on their houses
Millions of voices all silenced like mouses
Watching the cowards bow towards their new king
These are a few of my favorite things
- Cell sings a horribly creepy version of "Mr Sandman" at the end of episode 42 (replacing the usual comedic stinger)
- Daydream Surprise: Used to cut out some filler; after being crushed by Vegeta, Goku merely imagines that he's still able to move.
- Deadpan Snarker: Vegeta when he's not too pissed to form coherent sentences.
- Piccolo. All the time.
- Dende as well.
- It appears Androids 17 and 18 going to be this.
- Points for Freeza who uses Snark to deal with basically everything good or bad that happens to him.
- Krillin occasionally, when not being a Butt Monkey.
- Death by Adaptation:
- Death Is Cheap:
- Lampshaded and discussed in episode 30:
Yamcha: You make it sound like death has no consequence!
Tien: It really doesn't. We're literally waiting to go back. Hell, this is Chaozu's second time.
Chaozu: Next time, I get a free sundae!
- In episode 34, Trunks points out that, had he not killed Freeza, all of Goku's friends would have been killed.
Goku: The dragon wouldn't be happy 'bout that one!
- Bulma combines this with Unusual Euphemism in episode 38:
Bulma: Pretty sure I was about to be a wish there.
- Defeat Equals Explosion: The use of this trope in Dragon Ball itself is lampshaded.
(Vegeta hits the ground, large explosion. Later, he crawls out.)
Vegeta: (gasping) Why did I explode?
- Delegation Relay: Freeza tells Zarbon to give the command. Zarbon tells Dodoria to give the command. Dodoria gives the command to nameless mooks. Nameless mooks follow said command and die like flies as the above three stand around looking bored.
- Plus the dragon balls being used for the Unspoken Plan from King Kai.
Shenron: How can I be of service, Lord Popo?
Popo: Good question. Kami, the f**k am I doing?
Kami: Good question. King Kai, the f**k is he doing?
- Delicious Distraction:
- Defeat Means Friendship: Goku thinks this is the case with Vegeta. In reality, not so much.
Goku: We're friends now, right?
Vegeta: Fuck off.
Goku: The best!
- Department of Redundancy Department: Piccolo: "And now to redeem myself, through one final act of redemption!"
- Krillin: "On the plus side, I no longer have to pee anymore."
- Cooler 2: The Return of Cooler's Revenge
- Despair Event Horizon: Vegeta, upon realizing Goku is the last remaining Saiyan. His eyes say it all.
- Description Cut: When Goku wonders where Bulma is in episode 22, Krillin assumes she's doing "something girly". Cut to her fighting a Giant Enemy Crab underwater in a Mini-Mecha.
- In episode 15, when Zarbon and Freeza's discussion of Dodoria's abilities are inter-cut with him failing at every instance.
- Destructo-Nookie: Vegeta and Bulma in episode 34.
- Deus ex Machina: Pulled off with Yajirobe in episode 10, if only because he hadn't even been mentioned at all in the Abridged Series up until he cut off Oozaru Vegeta's tail.
- Then there's this exchange:
- The fact that the Muffin Button saves Goku's life when Namek explodes.
- Diagonal Cut: Trunks lampshades this when he explains that he spent a month practicing the move so the bodies would fall just right.
- Didn't Think This Through: Garlic Jr.'s plan in "Dead Zone Abridged". He attempted to kill Piccolo, and then use the Dragon Balls.note When this is pointed out, Garlic Jr. acknowledges that he dodged a bullet thanks to the incompetence of his minions.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: Freeza calls God a jackass after He tries and fails to strike him down.
- Die or Fly: Completely Averted. When Gohan is thrown towards the cliff, he flies face first into it, complete with whining.
- Dirty Old Man: As of Episode 28, it would appear King Yemma has gotten bored, and is forcing the dead to strip down naked when he judges them. That's why Vegeta comes to Goku naked in a near-death experience.
Vegeta: Idiot, you don't take your clothes with you when you die.
Goku: Well, I did.
Goku: Yeah. Even had my weighted clothes on, too. And I didn't even die in those. Hmmm...
Vegeta: THAT LYING RED MOTHERF*CKER!!!
- Disappeared Dad: As the series has progressed, Gohan is displaying increasing anger and disgust with his generally ineffective and absent father. It becomes an asset after Captain Ginyu steals Goku's body, and Gohan launches into a violent rage while shouting all the things that Goku has subjected him to.
- Discontinuity Nod: Done by Guru as he reads the disclaimer for Episode 24. He sounds audibly surprised that Dragon Ball GT is included on the list of Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball-related intellectual property.
- Freeza short circuits in episode 33, as if unable to process that Dragon Ball GT is considered Toriyama's intellectual property, and King Cold has to finish for him.
- Discriminate and Switch: Played straight, then quickly subverted when Gohan and Krillin see Freeza, Zarbon, and Dodoria for the first time.
Jeez, these aliens are scary. Especially [Freeza]. Looks like a total FAG
What? A F
) What did you think I meant?
Gohan: Oooh. I thought you were calling him a derogatory term for a homosexual.
THAT THING'S A GUY?!
- Disproportionate Retribution: "Hello, and welcome to the Heavenly Check-In Station. Please no cutting in line. If you are caught cutting in line, you will be sent straight to hell." Of course, cutting in line in front of the gate of heaven before your soul is judged really isn't a very smart move.
- Distant Reaction Shot: In episode 18, when Vegeta discovers that Gohan swiped his stashed Dragon Ball, we get a string of these showing that Vegeta's yell is audible across Namek, in Goku's spaceship (still in space), in Yemma's house in the afterlife (he assumes it's his wife), and Earth 20 years in the future ("Daddy?").
- Distracted by the Sexy: Bulma upon seeing Zarbon. Until she sees him transform...
- When Freeza gets a closeup look at Goku's abs, his first response is, "Oh my god, you could grind meat on it."
- Does Not Understand Sarcasm: Goku and Zarbon.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: ... let's just say this crops up a lot around Zarbon.
- Don't Explain the Joke: Subverted at one point. When Pavlov's effect is mentioned, the TV actuality switches to a report explaining its origin. However, the TV switches back to the fight before the announcer can actually explain the joke.
- Do Not Call Me Paul: When Vegeta mentions Goku's birth name, Kakarot, to Captain Ginyu (while the latter is broken and beaten on the ground in Goku's body), this discussion occurs...
Hahaha! The best part about this? I get to kill both Ginyu and
Kakarot at the same time! Goku!Ginyu:
Wait, who's Kakarot? Vegeta:
You're Kakarot. Goku!Ginyu:
I thought his name was Goku. Krillin:
: His name is
No, it's Kakarot! Goku!Ginyu:
But he just said "Goku". Krillin:
: Yeah, I did! Vegeta: I know what he said!
So what is it? Kakarot, or Goku? Krillin/Vegeta:
It's Goku/Kakarot! Vegeta:
NO, NO, NO! Just... Look. His Saiyan name is Kakarot, but he changed it when he landed on Earth as a baby, so they kept calling him by his Earth name, and I am calling him by his real name. *Beat* Ginyu!Goku: So does that make me Ginyu? Vegeta: *Screams at the top of his lungs while he flies towards Ginyu*
- The Door Slams You: Episode 41. Krillin Owned Count: 31.
- Double Entendre: Zarbon practically lives off of these.
- Vegeta likes to invoke this trope to mock Zarbon.
Now let me put this in a way you'll understand: I'm about to blow my load all over your insides... Zarbon:
What... the... Vegeta: No homo.
- Zarbon's association with this trope is even well known to Freeza.
Goku: (screaming due to his burning posterior) My butt is flaming!!
Freeza: ...I miss Zarbon.
- A whole slew of these were thrown in episode 24 when Goku was explaining his situation to King Kai after he landed on Namek.
Well, when I got down here, I ran into some really weird guys. One was really big and muscly, but he went down really easy. Then these two guys double-teamed me. One of them took it really hard in the back, but the other didn't seem that interested, so he went and brought this really horny guy. George Takei:
- Lord Slug drops one of these as well.
"This is amazing! I feel like a young, strapping lad, beating his meat furiously for the first time!"
- Krillin gets a lot of these from episode 31 on, such as Gohan and his mother's tuna.
- Dream Team: Voice, editing, and writing by some of the best abridgers out there.
- Driven to Suicide:
- An army of children and teens who though Gohan and Krillin were Frieza's goons went this path in episode 12.
- Yamcha in the Bad Future Trunks is from.
- Dude, Not Funny!: In-universe example. Once Vegeta called Android 18 a "smug c%#!", everyone reacts with shock, good guys and bad guys alike.
- Dying Declaration Of Hate: Guldo gave one to Vegeta when Vegeta broke up Guldo's reflections on the afterlife by being a jerkass to Guldo one last time.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Vegeta and Nappa in episode 1, Guru and Nail in episode 5, Trunks in episode 18, and Cooler and an infant Broly in Bardock Abridged.
- The mentions of Bojack are a partial example since we're told he's there and we hear his voice a couple times, but we won't see him until they abridge his movie (if they do so).
- Early-Installment Weirdness: Generally averted, but in the first Dead Zone abridged movie (made before the official formation of Team FourStar and not on the channel), Gohan was portrayed as mentally handicapped ("I know how many toes a fish has!"). In the regular series, he's probably the most intelligent character of the bunch.
- In the pre-TFS abridged movies, most notably The World's Strongest, Goku was portrayed as a Trickster, being able to outwit his opponents. He was also portrayed as mean-spirited, especially towards Krillin, and swore often. These traits carried over into the first two DBZ Abridged episodes, after which Abridged Goku became the food-obsessed Idiot Hero that is Too Dumb to Live that we all know now.
- A lot of the characters formerly played by Vegeta3986 can be seen as invoking this, particularly Kami, who started out as a typical wheezing old man when Vegeta voiced him (akin to his voice for the Hokage in Naruto The Abridged Series) and transformed into a Deadpan Snarker on Piccolo's level once Remix took over.
- Similarly, the early episodes (and non-TFS movie adaptations) portrayed Yamcha as The Ace of the series. Other characters regularly opined how much easier things would be if he were around, and the Z Fighters become excited when he arrives to help fight off the Saiyans. Cue the Saibamen death. From that point forward, he became the show's regular punching bag.
- Ear Worm: In-Universe. Yamcha's cat food song is heard sung by Tien in his head when Piccolo contacts him telepathically. The one with it in his head is not amused by this.
- Eccentric Mentor: Guru. "I'm about to misuse my hand upside your head!"
- Elite Mooks: The Arlian elite guards get wiped out in a second.
- Epileptic Flashing Lights Epileptic Flashing Lights: Jeice and Burter's combo attack "SEIZURE PROCEDURE!" It gives Krillin unlucky number 13 on his Owned Count.
- Especially Zoidberg: When Goku finds his allies dead.
Goku: Hey guys, what'd I miss? Oh... are they all? Tenshinhan... Piccolo... Yamcha... Oh wow, especially Yamcha.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Guldo aside, the Ginyu force are all very close and supportive, and care deeply about each other.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Mr. Popo does not torture... cats...
- Everybody Laughs Ending: Goku, Gohan, Krillin, and Piccolo have one after Goku's Bond One-Liner, then subverted when Freeza reveals the Spirit Bomb didn't kill him.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Princess Snake, who's voiced as though she were Solid Snake.
- Evil Albino: Parodied and Zigzagged. First discussed and lampshaped amongst the Namekians that the cause of a worldwide drought on Namek was due to a race of "flithy and evil" Albino Namekians, which were all killed off in a great war. Later it's revealed that Guru's own selfishness in drinking all of Namek's water was what caused the drought, and then shifted the blame onto the Albino Namekians. Realizing they had slaughtered an entire race of what were most likely innocent people, the Namekians promptly rip Guru to pieces.
- Evil Brit: Freeza, Cooler, and Android 20.
- Evil Counterpart: Inverted with Blue Popo, who is the good counterpart to Mr. Popo. Things don't end well for him.
Mr. Popo: Prepare to be assimilated.
- Evil Laugh: Mr. Popo. Prepare for restless sleep tonight, kids!
- Piccolo really gets into it as well in the first two episodes.
- Evil Twin: In the end of the Lord Slug movie special, Slug is implied to be this to Guru. It's the other way around.
- Evil Sounds Deep/Creepy Monotone: Freeza in Episode 24.
Freeza: Oh no, don't mind me. By all means... (voice drops two octaves) Give me some ideas.
- Android 19's voice synthesizer drops a few octaves when it finally initializes its murder.exe program.
- Evolving Credits: The credits are updated occasionally to reflect the arc in question. Spoofed for the Garlic Jr. "arc", which gets a whole new set of credits to make it seem important only to have Popo unceremoniously kill him off in the same episode.
- Exactly What I Aimed At:
- Goku spends several seconds arguing with Freeza about having missed until Freeza just decides to let the eventual volcanic eruption speak for itself.
- In Revenge of Cooler, Piccolo fires a blast at Neiz, who dodges it by retracting his head. Sauza immediately points out that it was aimed at Doore, who gets vaporized.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Space Australia.
So it's like Australia... Jeice:
- Executive Meddling: It has the power to turn Bardock into a Super Saiyan apparently.
OF ALL THE STUPID... ASININE... SHARK-JUMPING
- External Retcon: Episode 6 hangs a lampshade on King Kai's explanation for Planet Vegeta's destruction, which is completely at odds with series canon. Turns out that Freeza's a Wiki Vandal:
- Extreme Melee Revenge: Goku incapacitates Nappa in less than ten seconds, and proceeds to break his arm and throw him across the field.
Nappa: Not that way. My arm doesn't bend that way! *crack* AWW, NOW IT DOES!
- Eye Scream: Vegeta's at the receiving end of three of these in the Season 1 finale.
Vegeta: GAH! My eye! Why is it always the goddamn eye!?
- Fake-Out Opening: Episode 31's opening credits show scenes from the filler Garlic Jr. saga, making you think the entire arc will be adapted. Mr. Popo however resolves the plot rather quickly.
- Fake Static: Goku somehow manages to trick King Kai into thinking he hung up... during a telepathic conversation. This is immediately lampshaded by King Kai himself:
King Kai: He hung up on me! How the hell did he even do that?!
- False Reassurance: To reassure Krillin he won't retaliate for wounding him for Zenkai power boost, Vegeta tells him, "I will not PUNCH you".
- And when Krillin does shoot him, Vegeta mutters, "You are so punched!"
- Famous Last Words
- Fantastic Racism: Complete with Fantastic Genocide. The Namekians keep referring to a race of Albino Namekians that were "purged" and that they all view as hideous.
- And of course, Freeza, though as he puts it, he can't be racist against a race that doesn't exist. Like the clorfors. They tried to clorf him out of his money, so he blew them up.
- Fate Worse than Death: Vegeta being haunted by Ghost Nappa, whatever Mr Popo did to Garlic Jr. and alluded to when Gohan tells Goku to head for the hills for accidentally knocking Chichi through a wall mid rant
Gohan: OH NO! DAD RUN!
Gohan: THE WORST SHE CAN DO IS GROUND ME NOW RUN!
- Faux Action Girl: Chi-Chi gets to beat up one Mook during the Lord Slug movie with the "Housewife Style! Kick of a thousand menstrual cycles"
- Feel No Pain: Krillin receives a kick from Recoome that throws his nervous system out of whack and leaves him unable to feel the pain from the kick... for a few seconds.
- Female Alien Surprise: The most accurate description we've got for Dodoria being female.
- Finishing Each Other's Sentences: Done at least twice:
Vegeta: All I have to do now is stay under the radar and not fly around like a jackass saying...
Krillin: I've got a dragonball!
Vegeta: I was gonna say, "come and get me Freeza", but that works too.
- Not long after that:
- Played with a few moments later:
Bulma: Oh my god, [Zarbon's] so hot! I just want to grab him and...
Goku: (doing training) ...sixty-nine, seventy, seventy-...
Vegeta: ...One time you defeated me, Zarbon, and that's one time too many!
- Fish out of Water
Vegeta: The hell is soap?
Bulma: It's that yellow block made of animal fat.
Vegeta: That sounds awesome! (Chomp) Blah! This tastes nothing like what you just said!
- And he doesn't know what a condom is either, which results in Trunks being born.
- Flame War: For quite a popular series, these are prevalent in the forums and on Youtube. Also mentioned in the FAQ Specials.
- In the TFS FAQ Special, Vegeta says that somebody who asks who to voice for will be flamed. Along with that, in the 2nd TFS FAQ Special, Chaotzu insults people who want to audition, saying that "they have no talent" and that "they suck".
- NEVER... EVER... EVER... speculate about a future appearance of Ghost Nappa.
- There are also debates of how Guru is either a great and hilarious character or a horrible and predictable character.
- Nappa himself. Some people just plain hated him.
- Surprisingly, Popo hasn't received any negative criticism... yet.
- They just know better.
- _O O_
- Flat "What.": This exchange:
Vegeta: Look at you, Dodoria, you're always so damn proud. And now here you are, crying like a woman!
Dodoria: I AM A WOMAN!
- Also this:
- After Piccolo's death.
- And again while trying to save Goku:
Law of Mass dictates that the mass of an object dramatically increases the force of impact when said object collides with the ground! And with your size, you'll make an extensive impact upon your inevitable defeat! Oozaru!Vegeta & Goku:
The bigger they are, the harder they fall!
- Two in rapid succession in episode 16:
- In episode 24, after Freeza delivers an Offhand Backhand to Nail:
I've had a worse
time, you know. It's not often I dirty my hands with this sort of grunt work. There's always a certain amount of satisfaction I get out of doing it myself. [Freeza begins laughing - and after a few seconds so does Nail] Freeza:
Ah... it is
kind of funny, isn't it? Nail: [still laughing]
I'm laughing at something else, actually. Freeza: [still laughing]
What? Nail: [still laughing]
The Earthlings have the password. [Beat] Freeza: What.
- And this exchange:
Too bad... and that Bardock was such
a dashing rogue
... [Beat] Dodoria:
- Foil: Goku is the perfect counterpart to Freeza. Not only do Freeza's attempts at intimidating Goku fall flat, but Goku is literally too dumb to insult.
- Food As Bribe: Freeza offers to give Goku a pizza if Goku will let Freeza power up to 100%. Goku's having none of it. Then Freeza offers two pizzas. Goku still isn't interested, and charges at Freeza. Then Freeza offers two pizzas with stuffed crust...
- Foreign Cuss Word: In Episode 27, the Jamaican crab describes Freeza as a "bumbaclot," a corruption of the word "blood clot", considered an extreme form of insult in Jamaica.
- Foreshadowing: During the Namek saga, anyone who recites the opening disclaimer will die in one to two episodes (Except Vegeta, who recited two separate disclaimers before dying. Because he's that awesome.)
- There's also Popo at the start of that same saga.
Mr. Popo: See you all when you get back! Except... this season... (looks to Krillin) you...
- Spoofed in episode 7, after Nappa forgot why he and Vegeta came to Earth, Vegeta says, "One of these days you're going to die. Then you'll be out of my hair forever." This is followed by the caption Epic Foreshadowing.
- A subtle one in episode 22:
Freeza: I'll dispatch of this worm and then I'll be back for you, slug!
Super Kami Guru: Leave my brother out of this!
- And another one right at the beginning of episode 30 (part one)
At last, Goku... has become... the ONE...and ONLY... SUPER SAIYAN! *pause*
Right? Narrator: Ummm...yeeaaaah
. King Kai:
You hesitated there for a second. *Beat
- After being hit with his own attack:
Freeza: Daddy, I don't want to be on Namek anymore.
- Trunks asks why Freeza has spare parts sticking out of him. Freeza says he's the ultimate union of science and nature, but Trunks is obviously unimpressed.
Freeza: Impudent little...! These are not "spare parts"! What you are looking at is the ultimate culmination of science and nature!!''
Trunks: Oh, wow! I've... never seen that before.
- At the beginning of the "Episode of Bardock" special, Bardock says a certain character's catchphrase.
Bardock: Aw, crapbaskests.
- After seeing 19's inability to dodge, Dr. Gero shouts in bewilderment as to why dodging is a subroutine. Despite the fact he programmed 19 and should know why it's a subroutine. It's pretty clear that Gero isn't as competent as he thinks, especially considering his problems with the previous three androids.
- When 18 finds 16, she asks if he's Gero's secret project. His answer: "No, he's in the base-I MEAN, YES! Very secret! DON'T TOUCH!
- Goku's reason for not teleporting to stop Freeza is he wanted to give the others a shot at saving the day. Piccolo begs him not to but Goku makes no promises. Fast forward to Goku's fight with Buu and his reasons for not beating him when he could...
- Forgot I Could Fly: Played for Laughs literally when Goku jumped out of a hospital in Episode 13 hoping to be caught by Nimbus. He could've just flown out of the hospital room.
- Nappa forgets he could fly... while he was flying.
- Forgotten Phlebotinum: Gohan wonders why Krillin never follows up his Solar Flare (which blinds and incapacitates stronger enemies for a while) with his Destructo Disk (which is slow but can cut even much stronger opponents).
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: There is one in episode 15. Try to find it. (It's at 2:27.)
- CALISSE D'OSTIE DE TABARNAC, MY EYES!
- In Episode 7, when Piccolo says the Saiyans are looking for the one with the strongest power level. After Gohan agrees with Piccolo's claim of being the strongest living person, someone else is seen laughing in the background standing on top of a mountain. Can you find it? (It's at 1:57)
- That someone I think is Mr. Popo
- Freudian Excuse: Turles hates Christmas because Santa Claus never visited Planet Vegeta, and they only got Freeza's Day (when he blew up the planet). It's actually revealed that Santa tried to visit the planet several times, but they always tried to blow up his sled.
- Subverted when Vegeta tells about how he's always lived under Freeza's rule and has lost his entire race. Goku thinks that means that without Freeza he wouldn't have been evil.
- Freudian Slip: Krillin does this with Bulma by calling her "Boobs" in the first episode. Also a reference to Naruto The Abridged Series.
- Freudian Slippery Slope: When Goku telepathically reports on his fight with the Ginyu force to King Kai:
I ran into these really weird guys. The first one was big and muscly, but he went down real easy. Then these two guys double-teamed me. One of them took it really hard in the back, but the other didn't seem that interested, so he brought this really horny guy. George Takei: Oh my! Goku:
Who's that, King Kai? King Kai:
That's George Takei. Somehow he made this into a three-way. George Takei: Oh my! King Kai: Call!
- Friendship Moment: Goku and Piccolo have a couple of these in Episode 34, in which one of them suggests going out to drive cars, with the other enthusiastically agreeing.
- More humorously his agreeing to lie to Chichi about training Gohan (and prevent Goku from being murdered)
Piccolo: What are you talking about we're just studying. [beat] Let's go drive cars again
- Frothy Mugs of Water: Mercilessly parodied, with DBZ inspiring the Trope Name.
- "I'm drinking OJ! *Ding* Now it's apple juice. *Ding* Now it's beer. YAY BEER!"
- Funny Background Event: While Vegeta's trying to figure out what's going on with his scouter, you can hear Goku mercilessly beating the crap out of Nappa.
Nappa: My arm doesn't bend that way! MY ARM DOESN'T BEND THAT WAY! (*snap*) Ha, now it does!
- Also used when Freeza is beating Piccolo as Goku charges the spirit bomb
- Fun with Acronyms: According to Krillin, Freeza is a F.A.G., a Freaky Alien Genotype.
- Fur and Loathing: Spoofed. Princess Snake says, "I love this fur coat. Especially since I killed all the animals myself."
- Furry Fandom: Brief joke in the first FAQ Special when Nappa mentions editor/writer Kaiser Neko.
Nappa: Well, it's edited by the TIGER KITTY!
Vegeta: Kaiser Neko, Nappa.
Nappa: Meow! *materializes cat ears on his head*
Vegeta: Oh, Goddamn it, Nappa!
- Gagging on Your Words:
Vegeta: Every fiber of my being wants to puke at once when I say this, but I need your hahh... I need your hahhaahhah...
Gohan: You need our help?
Vegeta: That, yes.
- Gag Penis: Recoome, allegedly.
- There's also a stinger scene with King Yemma:
Yemma: Next. Strip. Next. Strip. Next. Strip. Nice!
Unseen Voice: Recoome thanks you!
- Genius Ditz: Nappa. Come on, the guy at least graduated from Saiyan University with a degree in Child Psychology.
- Genre Savvy:
- In Lorg Slug Abridged, Piccolo is busy beating up some mooks when the Quirky Miniboss Squad make their entrance:
All right, what's your gimmick? Dorodabo:
Yeah, like the last guys, they were all misfit minions
and crap. What are you? Angira:
We're just here for your planet... though if I had to choose, I'd say I'm the pretty one. Piccolo:
Eh, six out of ten. Angira:
You sassy bitch. Piccolo:
(to Medamatcha) That makes you the weird one with the freaky power... Medamatcha:
I CAN SPAWN MINI-MES
! Piccolo: Spectacular
. (turns to Dorodabo) And that would make you, no doubt, the big, tough, stupid one
You take that back or I'll kill you! Piccolo:
All right, all right, you're not tough
That's better! Gohan:
Wait, didn't you...? Piccolo:
Give him a minute. Dorodabo:
- It happens again in Revenge of Cooler Abridged when Piccolo encounters another stock mook trio (only this time they get it mixed up who's supposed to be the pretty one, the stupid one, and the one with weird powers.)
- Sauza fries the bag of senzu beans with an energy blast after seeing Gohan risking life and limb to deliver them.
- Cooler himself always assumes his enemies are still alive until he sees their dead bodies and even orders his men to search the area.
- Characters reading the Once per Episode disclaimer have a tendency to be badly hurt or die. When Yamcha has to read the disclaimer two episodes in a row, he gets rather nervous.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: When Vegeta is freaking out about the Ginyu Force Guru tells Nail to slap him. And Nail slaps Krillin. Still seems to snap Vegeta out of it.
- Giant Enemy Crab:
Bulma: I FOUGHT A GIANT CRAB!
Krillin: ...They make a special shampoo for that, I hear—OW!
- Gift of the Magi Plot: "Christmas Tree of Might" has Yamcha receive a lifetime supply of gasoline at the end, after the car he spent his life savings on was destroyed.
- Gilligan Cut:
- When Goku asks where Bulma is, he figures she's just doing her hair or something. Cut to:
- Spoofed when Vegeta works out that Gohan and Krillin have summoned Porunga
Vegeta (off screen): CCCKKKKEEEERRRRSSSSS
Piccolo (also off screen): Ow my ears!
- At the start of episode 27, Goku reflects that he's sure everybody is just fine. Cut to:
Vegeta: Healer's down!
Krillin: Need a rez!
Gohan: Out of mana!
Vegeta starts screaming and they all follow suit.
- The worst of it is they are in front of Freeza's perfect form.
- And when the Ginyus insult King Kai:
Yeah, all of you can just go straight to hell
Oh yeah? And who's gonna make Recoome
[Cut to a distant punch sound, followed by all four Ginyu's crash-landing into hell]
- In episode 38, Gohan wants to check up on Goku, who was taken away by Yamcha to give him his heart medicine. Piccolo assures Gohan that Goku's fine. Cut to Goku thrashing around in pain.
- Giving Up On Logic: In Christmas Tree of Might, Goku starts trying to talk to the titular tree to get it to leave Earth. Yamcha tries to explain that trees can't talk only to be cut off by Slay's voice which appears to answer for the tree since Slay is offscreen. Yamcha gives up in exasperation. The whole exchange is the page quote.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: Vegeta. Poor, poor Vegeta.
- Golden Snitch: Freeza's scavenger hunt:
Freeza: Normal human heads are worth one point. Namekian heads are worth twenty. Filthy half-Saiyan brats, fifty. And if you find any miserable, odious, insubordinate, full-blooded monkey garbage... you win.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Guru's death of being eaten alive by the Namekians who were infuriated that he had them slaughter thousands of innocent Albino Namekians during the Great Drought. Bulma, Gohan, and Piccolo are absolutely horrified by the brutality, and even Vegeta looks a little appalled.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: Vegeta's monologue at the end of episode 19.
"Son of a gum-chewing funk moster! Why the fruit does all this funny stuff happen to me? For-get my life! Always surrounded by miserable failing
clods. Like this whole world just likes to bend me over, AND FIND ME IN THE ALPS!
Like I'm some sort of schlock receptacle. Well, as far as I care, these miserable cows can have a fancy barbecue, WITH A GODDAMNED PIG
- Goku also delivers one of these as a Pre-Mortem One-Liner in Christmas Tree of Might and Lord Slug Abridged, the latter's line referencing this this trope's use in the official dub.
- Goku referencing the "kid-friendly" name for Hell.
Goku: Guess they want a Goku fanny whoopin'!
Goku: Chi-chi doesn't like us to swear.
Bulma: "Butt" isn't a swear.
Goku: The HFIL you talkin' about?
- Gratuitous Japanese:
- Gravity Is a Harsh Mistress: Vegeta ask to Dr. Briefs for a ship with an artificial gravity of 400 times earth's gravity. Lampshaded by him and Bulma how insane the request is.
- Groin Attack: Krillin is consistently worried about the harm Chi-Chi will inflict on his genitals, first for Goku's death and Piccolo taking Gohan, then later for any harm that might befall Gohan.
Krillin: I like my penis where it is.
Vegeta: He keeps kicking me in the dick.... Why does he keep kicking me in the dick!?
- Implied to happen repeatedly off-screen when Goku and Vegeta fight a huge army of Cooler clones as well.
- Gut Punch: A fairly meta example: Late into the Android arc, Cell's arrival. He enters singing a gravelly rendition of "Mr. Sandman" in a scene that quickly dispenses all of the humor of the show, and greets Piccolo with an ominous "Hello... Friend." before the episode cuts. Literally. For the first time in the series, there is no ending song or stinger
- Hands-Off Parenting: When Gohan tells Goku to hang Freeza by his entrails, Goku realizes something is up with his son... and thinks Piccolo should sit him down and have a talk with him.
- Hand Wave:
- Spoofed in the Bardock special episode. How does Chilled know about the healing spooge?
Because of Raisins! [Beat
] Raisins is my intel-guy.
- In the original series, Mr. Popo was visibly distraught at Kami's impeding fusion with Piccolo. Since that would be horribly out of character for the Abridged version, a Handwave is given that he had just dropped a gallon of LSD and is in the middle of a drug induced Freak Out.
- Happy Dance: In addition to Dragon Ball Z's Dance of Joy (which he is contractually obligated to perform by King Cold), Ginyu also does the "Daddy's Little Princess Dance" (commanded by Cooler) the "Dance of Cheering You Up", and the "Dance of Solitude".
- Harmless Villain: Garlic Jr. He's actually set up to be a pretty serious threat, he just has the incredible misfortune of running afoul of Mr. Popo straight out of the gate.
- Head Desk: Done in episode 21 when Nail, tired of Guru's orders, goes outside for twenty minutes and does this.
- The Hero Sucks Song: Yamcha the Scarfaced Bandit..
- Heel-Face Turn: Subverted: Freeza, when he asks for and receives energy from Goku, he actually contemplates the second chance he has been given and considers changing his ways for a second...then decides against it.
- Her Codename Was Mary Sue: The Dead Zone Abridged remake turned out to actually be Krillin's pitch for a movie, mostly inverting this trope: although the narrator starts calling Krillin awesome at the end, his actual role in the movie is as humiliating as the "real" Krillin's life and so irrelevant Nappa questions why he's there at all (and why he wrote a scene where Gohan pees on him).
- Heroic RROD: After his rage-induced scream in Episode 18, when Vegeta is next seen his eyes are bloodshot and he is driven insane, talking in Hulk Speak and hallucinating Ghost Nappa. He later proceeds to pop the blood vessels in his eyes right as he is about to utterly erase Krillin from existence, but he instantly recovers upon sensing Gohan's power level and has no recollection of what just happened.
- His eyes bleeding looks similar to his nosebleed in Episode 9.
- Hesitation Equals Dishonesty: On the part of the Narrator, after Goku becomes a Super Saiyan for the first time.
At last, Goku... has become... the ONE...and ONLY... SUPER SAIYAN! *pause*
Um...yeah. King Kai
You hesitated there for a second...what?
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Lampshaded with Tenshinhan and Chaotzu. Subverted with Yamcha and Pu'er.
Chiaotzu! My partner! Yamcha:
Hey! At least I don't spend all my
free time living alone with a cat! Yamcha:
Hey! At least I
get some puss— ...wow, that did not come out right
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: While not a complete childhood, Piccolo's mentorship of Gohan can be summed up in one word: DODGE!
- Hilarious Outtakes: Good luck getting through this video without laughing at least once.
- Hiroshima as a Unit of Measure: Vegeta and Nappa measure themselves and the heroes' power levels in "Raditz" (who had a power level of 1200).
- Ginyu had a standing bet with Burter over whether or not Guldo would die, with the wager being "50 Raditz". It Makes Just as Much Sense in Context.
- Presumably, he was betting 60000 of something. Of what, of course, we don't actually know. Space Dollars, maybe?
- The ad for "Spacey's" promotes the chain's Raditz Menu, made up of items that cost only a Raditz. Whatever it means as a currency, it's evidently not very much. Oh, Raditz.
- The Raditz currency is referenced again in Episode 28: "New Game 1/2 Raditz"
- Horrible Judge of Character: Krillin, in the FAKE Namek episode. Bonus because the FAKE Namekians are inspired by the Plutonians from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
- Ho Yay: Nappa found the (male) L cosplayer hot in the AWA special.
- Holding Back the Phlebotinum:
- Hope Spot:
Piccolo's actually standing up to him (Freeza), Krillin! Krillin:
I don't believe it! We may actually win! Vegeta: Yeah, that's just
... great... if you'll excuse me though, I gotta... bye!
- How Would You Like to Die?: Freeza's closing line in Episode 24:
Vegeta: Don't you understand? If I didn't get my wish, then I'm not immortal, and Freeza is going to... going to... (stammers upon seeing Freeza)
Freeza: Oh don't mind me, by all means... Give me some ideas.
- Hulk Speak: An enraged Gohan starts speaking this while beating on Freeza for stabbing Krillin.
- Humanoid Abomination: Mr. Popo.
- Humiliation Conga: Vegeta. After having his tail cut off, being blasted by a Spirit Bomb, getting crushed by a naked child, and almost killed by Krillin of all people, he escapes to his pod, only to be greeted by... GHOST NAPPA!
Vegeta: Crushed and broken beneath a naked unconscious child...yep, I think I'm done here.
- Yamcha is subjected to one in episode 35: having to deal with Bulma having Vegeta's child, hearing his "cat loves food" song from Yajirobe's car (he did it for money and it wasn't worth it to him), getting attacked and nearly killed by the Androids (with a truck showing up playing his song no less), to Krillin's bad puns.
- Hurl It into the Sun: How Cooler goes out.
- Hurricane of Puns: Goku in Episode 30, part 3, unleashes a slew of puns based around Freeza slicing himself in half. It gets to the point that you can't tell if he's groaning because of the injury or the jokes.
- Hypocritical Humor:
- Guru calls Kami a pretentious prick for calling himself God* . Immediately after that, Guru tells Nail to call him Super Kami Guru.
Nail: Can't I just call you Guru for short?
Guru: Super Kami Guru allows this.
- In the Christmas Special:
Tien: (after he is revealed to be Jewish) I'm just trying to be culturally sensitive... you Buddhist ass!
Krillin: (a little offended) Well, happy holidays to you, too.
- Vegeta displayed this when attacked for the second time by Yajirobe.
Vegeta: You... you cut through my armor! This was a gift from my father!
Yajirobe: I'm sorry, I'm sure your father was a great man.
Vegeta: I hated my father!
Yajirobe: Oh, well then I'm sure he was a total prick.
Vegeta: [attacks Yajirobe]' How dare you talk about my father like that!
- Whenever someone announced the name of their special attack with grandeur, Piccolo is quick to insult it (an early example being his "Laaaaame!" response to Krillin's Destructo Disk). Then there are Nail's reactions to Piccolo's own current (Special Beam Cannon) and proposed (Hellzone Grenade) attack names.
- Krillin laughs at how little Gohan has grown in the 3 years preparing for the androids. Goku points this out in his usual fashion.
- I Am Not A Pokémon: Poor Chaotzu.
Nappa: Vegeta! Look! A Pokémon.
Chaotzu: I'm not a Pokémon, I'm Chaotzu! Chaotzu!
Nappa: Hear that, Vegeta? It's a Chaotzu! (generates PokéBall from his hand) I'm gonna catch it!
Chaotzu: I told you, I'm not a-
(Throws PokéBall at Chaotzu)
Nappa: Aww! It didn't work, Vegeta!
Vegeta: That's because you have to damage it first.
Nappa: Alright! I'll see if I can get a critical.
- If I Wanted X I Would Y: If Vegeta wanted to watch over a hundred episodes of filler, he'd watch InuYasha.
- Ignored Epiphany: Subverts the original Funimation dub of Vegeta's dying words to Goku, where he suggested that Freeza was responsible for what he became, and pretty much ignored that after being revived; in DBZA, Goku attempts to suggest that Freeza made Vegeta evil, but Vegeta insists that he'd definitely be evil if Freeza hadn't been there.
- Played straight with Freeza in the final part of episode 30, when, after being thoroughly defeated, he ponders if he should turn over a new leaf. Of course, he decides "Naaaaaaaah!" and tries to blast Goku one more time. It doesn't end well.
- I'm a Humanitarian:
You gonna eat that Saiyan? Krillin:
- And in the second blooper special, along with trying to eat Tien's arm:
Krillin: Yajirobe, what were you doing here to begin with, anyways?
Yajirobe: Well, I thought I smelled something cooking, but then it just turned out to be Yamcha's body.
Krillin: ...Wait, you didn-
- One of Bardock's teammates asks an unconscious Bardock for permission to eat a dead alien.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Burter's reason for claiming to be the fastest in the universe.
- The Immodest Orgasm: Bulma has this when she and Vegeta have sex in episode 34. Come to think of it, Vegeta ALSO has this, and has one so hard he blows a hole in the wall (with the Gallick Gun).
- Immune to Bullets: Used to hilarious effect in the cold open to episode 12.
- Incendiary Exponent:
Vegeta: *Upon sensing Gohan's power level on Namek* Hey! Show yourself before I turn this place into a barren wasteland. So basically the same, only on fire.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: After learning that Zarbon is actually straight Freeza kills a random henchman as an excuse to leave so he doesn't have to admit that he thought Zarbon was gay.
Freeza: Oh no, that minion died. Could you go fix that? We'll continue this conversation never.
- Inelegant Blubbering: Vegeta finally snaps in Episode 27 when he completely fails to do anything to Freeza.
Freeza: See? It's like I told you, Vegeta - like a bitch.
Vegeta: [voice cracking] SHUTTUP!
Freeza: Oh my god, You actually are crying!
Vegeta: [hoarsely] 'M NOT CRYING! 'M NOOOT!
- Also his tantrum when he tries to become a super Saiyan
- Infallible Narrator: Lampshaded when the narrator tries to get in on King Kai's betting pool over Vegeta and Goku's battle.
Don't you already know the outcome of the fight? Narrator: ...No...
- Informed Ability: Jeice eventually calls out Burter on his claim of being "the fastest in the universe." Especially since Guldo can stop time.
- Inherently Funny Words: Mahogany
- Inner Monologue: Freeza has a casual danger inner one in episode 27. It starts with him hating how many of his men had died on this mission and ending with him thinking on what to send to the Ginyu force families such as a nice wine, a gift basket, or maybe a gift basket with wine in it.
- Innocent Innuendo: From episode 17:
Freeza: Zarbon really screwed the pooch on this one!
Zarbon: Lord Freeza, Vegeta's really giving us a pounding!
Freeza: I'm coming Zarbon! Quick, grab my balls!
Ginyu Force: (laughter)
- Krillin and especially Super Kami Guru to Gohan. Since Guru's happened after the Acceptable Targets quote above, it's not clear exactly how innocent it is.
- And this moment from episode 31:
Chi-Chi: Alright, I demand to know who's been spreading rumours that I've been forcing Gohan to, and I quote, "POUND MY TUNA"!
Krillin: Look Chi-Chi, if it upsets you that much, we'll ALL take turns pounding your tuna okay? But, only if we get to eat it together.
Roshi: (Hysterical laughter in the background)
- In-Joke: "DO AS I SAY FOR I AM THE HEAVENLY BUDDHA!!!"
- Insistent Terminology: According to Dr. Brief, cappucino isn't coffee.
- Guru is to be addressed as Super Kami Guru... except by Nail, who is allowed to call him Guru for short.
- Insurance Fraud: Krillin manages to get a huge amount of money by taking out a life insurance policy on himself before going to Namek (he even got triple payout for dying while off-planet), then pretending to be his own Backup Twin named Juan when he's brought back to life. Too bad the government was on to him.
- Ironic Echo: Piccolo telling Gohan to "Dooodge!", as mentioned above
- "I'm back." *BAM*
- "Ooooh, I see what you did there..."
- And this exchange:
So, did you eliminate everyone on the planet? Dodoria:
Complete Annihilation. Zarbon:
...Where are all your men? Dodoria:
Complete Annihilation. Zarbon:
(later, as Bardock's pod surpasses Freeza's ship) So, "Complete Annihilation", huh
- In the same special, Freeza debates giving his brother Cooler a call because it's Cooler's birthday, but decides against it because he's a prick. At the end of the special, Goku's pod is detected by Cooler's ship. He orders his men not to fire on it. When asked why he replies "Because I'm a prick."
- "My mother's dead." "I know."
- Goku and Piccolo's dialogue in Episode 29 when Goku needs to finish up the Spirit Bomb is a slight variation of a similar scene in Episode 2, complete with "Mahnah Mahnah" song. Piccolo even lampshades it given the role reversal ("Did you just hold a grudge?")
- Unintentionally done by Goku. He spams the Kidney Punch tactic on Freeza much like how Freeza did to Vegeta.
(About to be killed by Freeza's death-ball)
Bardock: Well, I'd say 'I should have seen this coming,' but that would be ironic.*
- Kami notes to Piccolo he is basically a prisoner to his position. High on his outlook for 300 years he has been forced to watch as wars, famine, disease, and vicious villains come to slaughter thousands, lacking the power to stop any of it. And when he gets a chance to obtain power to help protect his planet, he must surrender his free will to Piccolo, becoming a prisoner inside him. Piccolo is stunned for a few seconds.
- Goku's "Freeza was Cooler and Cooler was Freeza" is a callback to Cooler claiming he was cooler at the end of Cooler's Revenge.
- Is It Something You Eat?
I'm not a Goddamn Yoshi! Goku: But you said you were
It's called sarcasm
What's that taste like? Piccolo:
Wait, you mean you two never got married? Vegeta:
What is that, some kind of food? Trunks:
No. Just listen: When two people love each other- Vegeta:
Oh wow. I'm just f*cking with you. My God. Who doesn't know what marriage is?
- Possibly a reference to the original manga in which Goku thought a bride was something you ate and the concept had to be explained to him while Chichi was demanding he fulfill his promise
- Is This Thing On?:
Ghost Nappa: *tap tap* "Is this thing on? Is it on? Okay there we go! *clears his throat* YOU ARE NOW THINKING ABOUT WHAT ZARBON DID TO YOU, WHILE YOU WERE UNCONSCIOUS. Have fun with that."
- It's Pronounced "kah-ee-oh": King Kai berates Yamcha for saying "Kaiou Ken" with the original (as in no longer used) US pronounciation of "kay-oh."
- It Was His Sled: In-universe example - Vegeta already knew that Freeza blew up his home planet. Freeza really needs to stay off the (Space)Twitter.
- Also, from episode 18, the fact that Vegeta is Trunks' father.
- Thanks to a conversation with Guldo, Vegeta already knows Freeza can transform.
- Jackass Genie: Shenron, in the Christmas Tree of Might abridged
- Justified in the Running Gag that Shenron is really tired with people asking for simple wishes, primarily by the heroes again and again and again.
- Though he tones it down in front of the actual Genie who doesn't grant wishes but certainly has the Jackass part down.
I am the eternal dragon. Speak your wish and I shall... Oh, it's you my master. Is it time to lay waste to this world
Eh, not yet. Give em a couple hundred years. See if they can clean the place up.
- Jacob Marley Apparel: Many of the dead seem to follow this, except for Vegeta. But that's because Yemma told him he couldn't take his clothes with him. Vegeta was not amused when he learned Goku kept his clothes.
- Played with in that Goku mentions he got to keep clothes he WASN'T wearing at the time.
- Jaw Drop: Krillian gives a rather over the top one when Maron reveals she's actually a government agent and has evidence of him committing insurance fraud.
- Jerk Ass:
- Piccolo. One example includes deliberately telling Gohan to let Tenshinhan fight Nappa alone to avenge Chaotzu, despite Ten's constant desperate pleas for help.
Gohan: Where's my daddy?
Piccolo: I hate to tell you kid but your dad's dead. Actually, no, I love saying that. HAHAHA your dad's dead!
Piccolo: Aw, dammit. This is why I hang out in the wastelands.
- Cooler is a prick.
- Guru and Popo to the point that even Freeza seems nicer
Super Kami Guru: I feel they've finally summoned the dragon... it would be a real dick move to die right now...hurk.
Popo: (after having explained his pecking order) Any questions?
Krillin: Yeah, how...(gets kicked off the lookout, adding another tally to his "owned" count)
Popo: Enjoy the climb back up, bitch! (to Tien, Yamcha, and Chaotzu) Any more questions?
- Dende is becoming one of these. His hatred for Krillin is so intense he gives up the location to Earth as payback for being called "Little Green". And when Krillin is stabbed by Freeza, Dende revives him, but also tells him he's immortal, probably in the hopes he'll get himself Killed Off for Real. The only person he respects is Gohan.
- Dr. Briefs seems to treat his wife poorly and called Dende a fag.
- Even with his new ally status, Vegeta is still cocky, arrogant, egotistical, petulant, stubborn, selfish, abusive, violent and downright rude.
- Jerkass Has a Point: In episode 39, while pissed at Trunks' continual pleas to wait for Goku, Vegeta screams that Goku is rarely ever present to fight the bad guys. Piccolo notes he is right.
- Jumping the Shark: In-Universe. Upon learning that he has been sent back into the past, Bardock declares it "shark jumping bullshit".
- Just a Stupid Accent:
- Just Between You and Me: Vegeta tells Cui how he got his ass kicked by Goku & Co., after explaining the Saiyans' ability to gain power from being beaten to near-death. Cui still thinks their Power Levels are the same (18,000), and doesn't get it.
"Why are you telling me this?! You'd never tell anyone this!" Vegeta:
"Easy - because I know you'll never tell anybody, Cui
"But, but I hate you! Why would I—"
* Vegeta obliterates Cui* Vegeta:
"God, I love therapy!"
- Just Eat Gilligan: When Roshi and Bulma summon the dragon to resurrect Goku, the dragon actually suggests that they just wish for him to drop the incoming bad guys off into a sun or something instead. note They don't listen.
- The Namekians could have avoided "The Purge" if they had noticed that Guru's massive weight gain coincided with the Great Drought. Of course, once Guru reveals this, they really do eat him.
- Just You Me And My Guards: Attempted by Turles in the Christmas Tree of Might special.