We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
"If I wanted a joke, I'd follow you into the john and watch you take a leak."
If I wanted to describe If I Wanted X I Would Y here, I would go to TV Tropes... wait a minute.
A common put-down
of a work/activity/food/etc., by naming a prominent aspect of that thing, and claiming that aspect is better in another thing, usually in the form of "If I wanted (aspect), I would (other thing with that aspect)."
This will almost always be said in a snarky
manner, and often has a Take That
on either side of the line (or both).
A Sister Trope
with Better by a Different Name
Compare X Called; They Want Their Y Back
, I Like My X Like I Like My Y
Not to be confused with If I Wanted You Dead...
open/close all folders
Films — Live-Action
- From Planes, Trains and Automobiles:
Where are you going? Neal:
Chicago. Cab Dispatcher:
Yeah, Chicago. Cab Dispatcher:
You know you're in St. Louis? Neal:
Yes I do. Cab Dispatcher:
Why don't you try the airlines? It's faster and you get a free meal. Neal:
If I wanted a joke, I'd follow you into the john and watch you take a leak. Now are you gonna help me or are you gonna stand there like a slab of meat with mittens? (the cab dispatcher punches him in the face)
Bill Tanner: Seems your hunch was right, 007. It's too bad the Evil Queen of Numbers wouldn't let you play it...
(M walks in)
M: You were saying?
Bill Tanner: No, no, I was just... just um...
M: Good. Because if I want sarcasm, Mr Tanner, I'll talk to my children, thank you very much.
- From Dragonheart, after Draco wonders about the ethics of their scam:
Bowen: If I wanted my conscience pricked, I would've stayed with the priest!
- Real Time with Bill Maher
"Technology businesses must cut the baby talk. It's 2007. You're a rapacious, multi-billion-dollar corporation, not a stuffed animal. This week, Yahoo! announced a deal with Bebo, which will help it compete with Google. I had to Wiki Bebo to find out it's kind of like Friendster and Woofy. Gosh, I hope they can all band together and save Fuzzleton Village from the evil Snorgs! Grow up! If I want to see uncaring money-making machines with cutesy names, I'd go to a strip club."
- Bill does this a lot in his book, New Rules: Polite Musings from a Timid Observer.
- Firefly, "Objects in Space":
Mal: If I want medical jargon, I'll talk to a doctor.
Simon: You are talking to a doctor.
- Also, quoth Jayne, "Hell, if I had wanted schooling, I would have gone to school!"
- In one episode of Friends, Phoebe is dating two men at once — a teacher and a fireman. She's out with the teacher when they see a car catch fire, and he's confused when her response to the sound of sirens is to run away (so he doesn't find out about the fireman).
Phoebe: If I wanted to see a fireman I would date one!
- In Sherlock, when Irene Adler shows up naked to meet Sherlock, Sherlock merely says "If I wanted to look at naked women I would borrow John's laptop."
- In the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "Out of My Mind", Riley thinks Buffy won't want to be with him if he's just a normal man, and she responds with, "Do you think that I spent the last year with you because you had super powers? If that's what I wanted, then I'd be dating Spike." (This becomes Hilarious in Hindsight about a year later.)
- Subverted rather cruelly by Giles against Spike: "If I want your opinion, Spike, I'll— I'll never want your opinion."
- Parodied in Fist Of Fun: During a discussion about water pollution Stuart Lee asks Richard Herring if he wants to swim in raw sewage. Herring replies "Stuart, if I wanted to swim in raw sewage I'd..." and then details a highly developed plan to break into the local sewage works. Lee quickly realises that yes, he really does.
- In the Star Trek: The Original Series episode "That Which Survives", after major seismic tremors and loss of contact with the Enterprise:
- Dr. Kelso pulls this one out a lot on Scrubs, along with the similar; "I'll tell you the same thing I told X, '[related pun]'."
- The Golden Girls when Dorothy is working on a kids' show.
: If I wanted this kind of abuse,I'd be directing the Roseanne Barr
- 30 Rock:
Liz: Don't you know the Postmaster General?
Jack: I do, but we had a falling out over the Jerry Garcia stamp. If I wanted to lick a hippie I'd just return Joan Baez's phone calls.
- In one episode of Whos The Boss, Jonathan decides he wants to be a stand-up comedian. His routine consists of a lot of unfunny and, at times, nonsensical "what is the deal with that?" style jokes. When talking about sushi, he says "If I wanted to eat raw fish, I'd bite a river".
- Some of Al’s pearls of wisdom on Married... with Children are based on this format.
‘If God had wanted women to bowl, he would have put their breasts on their backs so we would have something to watch while waiting.’
- From Just Hold Me by Maria Mena
But if I wanted silence I would whisper
And if I wanted loneliness I'd choose to go
And if I liked rejection I'd audition
And if I didn't love you, you would know
- Calvin and Hobbes, where Calvin explains why he does not like organized sports:
"I hate all the rules and organization and teams and ranks in sports. Somebody's always yelling at you, telling you where to be, what to do, and when to do it. I figure when I want that, I'll join the Army and at least get paid."
- In an episode of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, there was a round of Closed Quotes which specialized on comebacks. Among these comebacks was the lovely "If I wanted to hear from an arse, I would have farted."
- Lewis Black on the tax code:
"If I wanted to be bored by 6,000 pages of unreadable dreck, I'd read War and Peace
- Doug Stanhope mocked Moral Guardians this way:
‘If God had intended women to prostitute themselves, he would have given them a free will and a vagina.’ [Beat
- The Magic: The Gathering card Stifle has flavour text:
"If I wanted your opinion, I'd have told you what it was."
—Pemmin, Riptide survivor
- An example from Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time:
(Present Toadsworth is freaking out)
Past Toadsworth: (...) Really, if I wished to witness myself embarrassing myself, I'd belch in front of a mirror.
- During a Zerg mission in Brood War, we have this exchange when Fenix, Jim Raynor, and Arcturus Mengsk are discussing an eventual betrayal by Kerrigan.
Arcturus: If you ask me, she's completely untrustworthy. But so long as she'll help me retake Korhal, I'll work with her.
Raynor: If I wanted your opinion, Arcturus, I would've beaten it out of you! And in case you forgot, you're the reason she became what she is in the first place!
- Schlock Mercenary: When I want your opinion I'll mind-rip it out of your shattered skull, thank you
- Used in a pro-choice slogan: ‘If I wanted the government in my uterus, I'd fuck a senator!’
- Computer scientist Dennis Ritchie responded to comments for improvements to the C programming language with "If you want PL/1, you know where to find it."
- Popular joke saying often seen on T-shirts and bumper stickers: "If I wanted to hear from an asshole, I'd fart!"