open/close all folders
- Sadist Teacher: Mr. PopoKami: Mr. Popo, where did you send them?
Popo: I'll tell you where they're not—safe.
- Sanity Slippage: After realizing that Gohan stole one of his Dragon Balls, Vegeta starts to lose his mind, and his eyes become bloodshot. He snaps out of it when he senses Gohan getting his power unlocked by Guru.
- Episode 56 comes back to Vegeta apparently getting even worse, and quickly, when he goes into the Hyperbolic Time Chamber on his own.
- Gohan has a much more subtle one in History of Trunks, where living in a wasteland has clearly taken it's toll on him.
- In the same special, Chi-Chi also is suffering from this, as Gohan never visits her and losing Goku and having no chance of being a grandmother has taken its toll on her.
- Santa Claus: The Misfit Minions in "Christmas Tree of Might" are on Santa's permanent naughty list for various reprehensible acts, while Turles is mad that Santa never visited Planet Vegeta; Santa himself appears to give Goku the motivation he needs to defeat Turles and reveals that the Saiyans always tried to shoot down his sleigh whenever he approached their planet.
- Say My Name: Done by Dende to Vegeta, in a Kick the Son of a Bitch moment: Vegeta had Krillin blow a hole in his chest, banking on the Saiyan trait of growing stronger from injuries; the greater, the stronger. Dende makes Vegeta ask him by name to heal him. He didn't know it until Dende made him say it.
Dende: (smacks Krillin) You will call me Dende! Dende! Say it! Say my name!
- Used again by Dende on his return to Earth, when he finally retaliates against Krillin for calling him Little Green.
Krillin: (panicked) Dende! Dende!
Dende: No... (Evil Grin) Super Kami Dende.
Goku: Hey, Broly! Say my name!(Angelic Choir sings as Goku ends Broly with one punch.)Broly: Ka...ka...ROOOOOOT!
- Used by Broly, naturally, but is also used by Goku as a challenge to Broly after being powered up by the other Z-Fighters.
- The Scapegoat: Guru pinned the Great Drought on the Albino Namekians because he drank all the water and caused it.
- Schmuck Bait:Popo: (to Garlic Jr. who just insulted him and has no idea what he's capable of in this universe) "Oh please, do go on."
- The Scream: Krillin in episode 13, though he's prone to shrieking in horror anyway. Just usually not to the extent where it goes on longer than a minute and can be heard miles away.Vegeta: Ugh, I just got here and already this planet's annoying me.
- Vegeta gives off the granddaddy of all screams in episode 18. It can be heard from EVERYWHERE.Gohan: "Krillin, do you hear that?"
Krillin: "I feel that."
Freeza: "What the devil is that noise?"
Goku in his spaceship: "Ahh, time for a delicious sports dri—huh? The heck is that?"
King Yemma in the afterlife: "Purgatory... Hell... Denise? Denise, do you hear that? Oh God, is that my wife!? LEAVE ME ALONE! YOU ALREADY TOOK THE KIDS, WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT!?"
Trunks from 20 years in the future, on another planet, in another solar system: "Alright mom. Once that time machine is done, I can go back into the past to save Goku and my Fathe—... Daddy?"
- He gives off another after his arm is broken by Android 18.
- Vegeta gives off the granddaddy of all screams in episode 18. It can be heard from EVERYWHERE.
- Screaming at Squick: Bulma hits on Future Trunks. She flirts with him by saying "I'll be your mommy" in reply to finding out he's a "momma's boy". On the outside, Trunks looks calm. On the inside however, totally different story.
- Screw Politeness, I'm a Senior!: Pretty much any character over 50 is shown to be a Jerkass of some kind.
- And considering some of the characters are several centuries (if not several millenia) old, their unpleasantness will sometimes go over 9000.
- Kami is the only exception, who is downright polite with his original voice, and once they change voice he's rather snarky, but still civil.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: At the end of episode 10:
- As Freeza and Vegeta are fighting, Freeza's scouter keeps counting higher and higher before reading, "F**k this, I'm out" and exploding.
- In episode 49, after Vegeta compliments Bulma's work creating new Saiyan-style armor. Then Goku chimes in...
- Selective Obliviousness: Kami doesn't notice Mr. Popo's Alternative Character Interpretation, even when it's directed at him.
- Self-Deprecation: The final scenes of both (so far) Dragonball Z Kai Abridged episodes.Episode 1:Yugi: This has HOW many subscribers?Episode 2:Nappa: Aaaaand unsubscribed.
- Self-Parody: Dragonball Z Kai Abridged, which parodies the very concept of The Abridged Series by retelling the entire first season in two minutes.
- Sentai: The Ginyu Force. Vegeta lampshades this by asking Gohan if he's watched any (how he'd know of those shows on the other hand...).
- Space Hulu.
- Figures.Gohan: Vegeta, if you don't mind me asking, what are we in for?
Vegeta: Ever watched Power Rangers?
Vegeta: Ninja Turtles?
Vegeta: Sailor Moon?
Vegeta: VR Troopers?
Vegeta: Samurai Syber Squad?
Vegeta: ...Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills?
Gohan: Oh yeah!
Vegeta: God dammit!
- Series Continuity Error: Goes hand in hand with reusing certain clips for reaction shots, but a particularly noticeable instance happens in Episode 19. As part of the Wheel of Death TV show gag, the scene cuts to Freeza watching on the television Vegeta blew up in a previous episode and with a Dragon Ball behind him when all seven are currently being held by Ginyu.
- Episode 28 has a clipped-in shot of Krillin flying away, dressed in his orange gi, although he had spent the last few episodes in the Saiyan armor.
- In episode 38, Gero is never shown replacing his removed arm, but some shots show him with both anyway. This one's the fault of the source material, though.
- In episode 43, when Piccolo and Cell are having a conversation, a frame shows a hole Cell caused before he actually powers up to cause it.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Gohan manages to make this sound badass, who is usually treated with a Flat "What." before he tells them in laymen's terms.Gohan: I'M GOING TO EVISCERATE YOU, AND USE YOUR GASTROINTESTINAL TRACT AS A CONDOM WHILE I FORNICATE WITH YOUR SKULL!
Gohan: I'M GONNA SKULL*** YOU!
- Sexy Discretion Shot: Bulma and Vegeta's sex scene. They only show the outside of Bulma's house in the night while the audio is humping...and Vegeta revealing he doesn't know what a condom is.
- She's A Man In The Original Series: Dodoria.
- Ship Tease: Bulma dreamed about Vegeta coming to rape her. Okay, yeah, not the best tease, but they do canonically hook up, so...
- Shoot the Medic First: Directly from the source material, but Dende is nice enough to point out that he's the white mage and no-one fucks with the white mage, before being blown up.
- Shoot the Messenger: Freeza in Episode 18.Acai: Lord Freeza, the Ginyu Force are scheduled to arrive in five minutes.
Freeza: Thank you, Acai.
Acai: Also, after rising concerns with our personnel...exploding, we've decided to form a union.
Freeza: Adorable. (Acai explodes)
- He resorts to this in the previous episode to end a rather uncomfortable discussion regarding Zarbon's sexuality.Minion: Lord Freeza, Vegeta's broken out of the healing taAAAAAAANK-*BOOM!*
Freeza: Oh no, that minion died. Could you go and fix that, we'll continue this conversation never.
Zarbon: Um, didn't he say something about Vegeta?
- King Vegeta in Episode 25.
- Chichi threatens Krillin with this after Krillin asks what she would do if hypothetically he were to reveal the fates of Goku and Gohan after the fight with Raditz.
- Not just shooting the messenger but she threatens to "Castrate the messenger in his sleep with a rusty carving knife." Ouch.
- He resorts to this in the previous episode to end a rather uncomfortable discussion regarding Zarbon's sexuality.
- Shoryuken: Freeza performs one on King Vegeta in a flashback. He even shouted it, with accompanying an "You win!" and "Yatta".
- Vegeta pulls it on Cell, when he asks if he can have a second to collect himself.
- Cell uses one to knock out Ken himself in the Cell Games shorts when Ryu and Ken arrive to challenge him.
- Shout-Out: So many that they have their own page.
- Shown Their Work: Yes, DBZ Abridged fans. Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills is an actual series.
- In episode 19, Krillin says "I once had a crush on a little Indian boy that I thought was a girl..." This actually happened (with Upa) in Dragon Ball.
- In Season 2's Stinger, Nappa reveals that he hired a "Mark Satan" to help him do a film. "Mark" is actually Mr. Satan's real name as revealed by Akira Toriyama. Nappa also mentions that the name isn't just right and considers Hercule (the English name for Mr. Satan) as an alternative.
- Toward the end of episode 30, when Yamcha's freaking out over Bulma dumping him, King Kai has Tenshinhan break one of Yamcha's legs. Yamcha screams "My good leg!" Tien broke Yamcha's left leg during the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai in Dragon Ball.
- After Sauza is killed, his last words are that he'll see his cousin Jeice in Space Hell. Video game information often says that not only are Jeice and Sauza of the same race, but they apparently hate each other (nothing about them being cousins, though).
- When Future Trunks introduces himself to Goku, his nervousness causes him to accidentally call him Sun Wukong. Sun Wukong is the name of the Monkey King from Journey to the West, which Dragonball was loosely based on.
- When Piccolo criticizes Dr. Gero's decision to incorporate pain receptors in the androids, Dr. Gero's rebuttal is actually pretty accurate (pain may not be a pleasant sensation, but it's useful).Piccolo: Ya know, I never really understood why you'd bother installing pain receptors. Kinda comes off as an intentional design flaw, if you ask me.
Dr. Gero: Don't you criticize my methods like you understand the neural system! Pain is imperative to recognizing when you are in peril, to give the human mind conte-*Piccolo breaks his arm off*-EEEEEEEXXXXXTTTT!
- The series itself seems to be full of references to inconsistencies and/or food-for-thought points that have been brought up either on this very wiki and/or on popular Dragon Ball fan forums. Such examples include Goku being an absentee father, this running in the family, Piccolo basically taking his place in Gohan's life, Gohan being psychologically messed up from everything he has to go through as a child, clues as to what goes on with members of the Planet Trade Organization when they're not being space pirates, Vegeta being a borderline-heel jerkass even when he's supposed to be one of the good guys, even the differences between all of Dr. Gero's androids in both morality and physical makeup are discussed to hell and back.
- In Episode 44, when reading the blueprints for the Androids, Trunks says that Android 17 and 18's names are Lapis and Lazuli, respectively, as well as Android 16 being modeled after Gero's dead son. These are are all from a Q&A section in one of the full color volumes.
- In the next episode, Goku mentions after waking up that he's learned all of the plot details that he missed from his "pirate dream," and that he also had a "ninja dream," but it ended. In the time between 44 and 45, Naruto had ended.
- As shown repeatedly long periods of isolation are not good for your psyche. In fact the only time the heroes enter the hyperbolic time chamber and come out psychologically ok (more or less) is when they go in together. When both Piccolo and Vegeta try to go in alone they suffer from the being alone in and empty space. This is Truth in Television as long periods of isolation in real life (without tv or external stimulus) will cause visual and auditory hallucinations.
- Shut Up, Kirk!: Freeza attempts this on Goku in Episode 30 when he interrupts his Badass Boast by shooting him in the face. Goku No Sells it and finishes anyways.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Delivered to Freeza in Episode 25.Freeza: Well, well, well. I'm legitimately surprised that I missed one of you. But that's just fine, because I've been working on some jokes. Now tell me if you've heard this one. How many Namekians does it take to—
*gets punched and sent flying*
Piccolo: Just one.
- Freeza gets it again in Episode 28.Freeza: Oh please, everyone's always on about the children. I already tried leaving them alive, but all they do is grow up under my rule or dedicate their pathetic lives to revenge. Usually both. Really, killing them this a kindess. I can retract that kindness if you wish, but then who's the villain?
Goku: (totally lost) Y... you.
- Freeza gets it again in Episode 28.
- Sibling Rivalry: Although the two are never shown interacting with each other (just as in the actual series), Freeza and Cooler really hate each other. Freeza repeatedly calling Cooler a prick and all.
- Single-Biome Planet: Namek, which is lampshaded by Piccolo as soon as he's wished there.Piccolo: Ugh... Everything looks the goddamn same on this goddamn PLANET!
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: Piccolo"Anyway, I figure, in order to unleash your hidden potential, I'd have to put you in immense physical danger, so I'm gonna throw you at that mountain."
- Hilarity Ensues when it doesn't work.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Ginger, one of Garlic Jr.'s minions in Dead Zone Abridged, is very foul mouthed. He swears just about every sentence.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: When Vegeta is training in 400G despite being hurt, Bulma starts arguing with him over a video link. They start cussing each other out. Eventually, Bulma orders him to meet her in her bedroom in 10 minutes. And that is where Trunks comes from.
- Slasher Smile: Vegeta shows a nice one, just after he gets a warm greeting by Namekian villagers who tell him where to find the next Dragon Ball. Cue the opening.
- Ginyu has a hell of a slasher smile himself after punching a hole in his own chest, Kubrick Stare and all.
- Freeza seems to have one all of the time.
- Piccolo puts on a nice one after maiming Dr. Gero.
- Sliding Scale of Villain Threat: The Christmas Tree of Might falls not only under Global Threat, but is classified as "Disney Evil" when Goku learns that it's sucking all the Christmas Joy out of the planet.
- Small Role, Big Impact: Remember that tidbit about Android 16 being modeled after Dr. Gero's son? There's now a Cerebus Retcon about it: Goku killed him during his raid on the Red Ribbon Army base. Meaning Geromade the Androids out of Revenge Before Reason for his fallen son.
- Smoke Shield: ParodiedKrillin: Did we get him?
Gohan: Krillin, we can feel his energy, why do you even bother asking?
Krillin: I'm an optimist.
Vegeta: You're an idiot.
- Smug Snake: Dr Gero tries to be one. Problem is, reality refuses to live up to his confidence, resulting in many hilarious outbursts interrupting his Hannibal Lecture.
- So Last Season: Piccolo's weighted clothing.Piccolo: Don't think you have the upper hand. I'm still wearing weighted armor.
Freeza: Weighted armor, hm? How quaint. How much does it weigh?
Piccolo: Same as it always did. One hundred kilo's... [Beat and Slasher Smile from Freeza] Oh. That concept kinda lost meaning after a while, didn't it?
- Something Else Rises: Well, Something Else Fires Off more like. During offscreen sex scenes between Vegeta and Bulma and Goku and Chi Chi, when the dude in bed fires his load, he also fires his signature Kamehame Hadoken.
- Something Only They Would Say:Gohan: Krillin, that's not my dad!
Krillin: Gohan, of course it's your dad! Goku, what's your favorite food?
Goku/Ginyu: Waldorf salad.
Krillin: See? Double Baconatohsh*t.
- Later:Goku: [dazed] Yay, I'm me again!
Krillin: Wait... Goku, what is your favorite food?
Goku: [confused] ...Favorite?
Krillin: He's him again!
- Soundtrack Dissonance: This plays while Nappa annihilates the Earth's military. From Nappa's perspective, though, the music is very appropriate, since he considers it to be his best day ever.
- Freeza's "favorite things" song.
- In Episode 27, while Freeza is terrorizing Vegeta and the others, Goku is sitting in his pod singing "Lime in the Coconut" and "Row, Row, Row Your Boat". King Kai and Tien actually join in on the last one.
- Cell invokes this trope by requesting "Video Killed the Radio Star" at a radio station before killing them in Episode 44.
- So Unfunny, It's Funny: 19's retort to Vegeta's insults.19: Registering insult... Retort: You are short and your hairline is receding.
- Space Pirate: Bojack, who was a modern criminal type in-series (or rather, movie), but here is a traditional arrrr type, possibly to make up for the fact that he is a voice-only character.
- SpaceX: From "space pods", "space armor", "space barns" and "space ducks", "space Twitter," "Space Skype," "Space Hulu," freakin' "Space Mexico" and "Old Space Yeller".
- Lampshaded by Piccolo in episode 2, providing the quote on the SpaceX page.
- Lampshaded once again when we learn that Jeice (who had an Unexplained Australian Accent in the original series dub) comes from Space Australia.Jeice: More specifically, Space Brisbane. Go Space Broncos!
Gotta be careful though Burter, or a space dingo'll eacher space baby.
- The "Space Brisbane" part was specifically to set up a donation request to help the real Brisbane, which was being ravaged by floods at the time.
- Episode 20 gives us space sodas, space burgers, and a restaurant called Spacey's.It's good food, in space
- Episode 23 mentions Space Pickles, and Krillin mistakenly says Jeice is from Space New Zealand.
- Planet Namek is the Space Boonies, according to Freeza.
- Piccolo switched from Myspace to Spacebook.
- There are even Space Eggs
- Kai Abridged 2 gives us a new swear: Space Fuck.
- For those who are curious, here's the complete list: Space Pods, Space Armor, Space Pirates, Space Barns, Space Ducks, Space Twitter, Space Mexico, Space Skype, Space Hulu, Space Australianote , Space Brisbane, Space Brisbane's (presumably) space rugby team the Space Broncos, Space Dingos, Space Babies, Space Soda, Space Burger, a restaurant called Spaceysnote , Space XXXXnote , Space VBnote , Space Boonies, Space Pickles, Space New Zealand, Space Cats, arguably Myspace, Spacebook, Space Eggs, Space Milk, Hot Space Potato, Space Hell, Space Frenchman, Old Space Yellernote , Space Christ, Space Radio Shack, Space Best Buynote , Space Triple A, "What the Space Fuck?", Space Police, and Space Vegas.
- In the Episode of Bardock Abridged special, Chilled's men temporarily play themselves off as the Space Police. note
- In the Broly movie, Roshi wants to go to Space Vegas.
- Spared by the Adaptation: The Kannasans, though they died in the original show, managed to miraculously repopulate, as said by Vegeta in episode 26.
- Nappa, he even makes it big in Hollywood.
- Special Edition Title: The Ginyu Force episodes use their title sequence instead of the regular.
- Special Guest: Kyle Hebert (the voice of the narrator, teenage Gohan, and Ox King from the FUNimation dub of the actual series) makes an appearance as the narrator at the end of the second movie, which was before the official formation of Team Four Star but contained most of the original voices of this abridged series.
- Hebert also provided his voice for the role of Santa Claus in the Christmas Tree of Might special.
- Christopher Sabat, the voice of Vegeta in the Funimation dub, makes a cameo as the voice of two technicians in the Bardock Special.
- Becomes utterly hilarious when you think he and Lani are in pretty much the same role, what with voicing the majority of the cast and all.
- And Christopher Robin Miller of Professor Layton fame. He gives Bubbles a classy British accent in Lord Slug Abridged.
- David Eddings, voice of Claptrap and credited as Lee Rastus, plays a robotic organ harvester in Cooler 2,.
- Spell My Name with an "S": In episode 17, Vegeta almost used the dub spelling of Freeza's name in his note.
- In Episode 33, we find out that Trunks was apparently taught the dub spelling, causing him to mis-pronounce Freeza's name as "Fry-za".
- Spoiler: Shouted constantly by the people on Freeza Planet 419 (A.K.A. Kanassa) after the native species mysteriously repopulates itself. All of these are It Was His Sled to the fandom, but the series has only adapted up to the Cell arc."Bulma and Vegeta have a kid!"
"Cell reaches Perfect form!"
"The real Buu is a child!"
"Goten and Trunks become a guy!"
"Gohan is the strongest in the universe but still doesn't do craaaap!"
- Spoofed with Their Own Words: Radtiz's infamous line, "Excuse me, has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's green!" is quoted verbatim.
- Subverted with the line "The name's Recoome. It rhymes with doom. And you're gonna be hurting all too soon." Rather than make fun of it, they turned the ham Up to Eleven and made it Recoome's Catch Phrase for his wrestling persona.
- Played straight with Piccolo's chant after fusing with Nail. He says exactly what he did in the original dub, only this time Nail (inside Piccolo's head) interrupts him to make fun of him for it.
- Subverted again with Tenshinhan's "Who knows? Maybe I'll be the next Super Saiyan!" It makes perfect sense in context, since in DBZA Tien is deliberately antagonizing Vegeta for shits and giggles.
- Squee!: Goku does one when King Kai warns him about Freeza.King Kai: He's destroyed countless planets, and slaughtered billions of people!
King Kai: Stop it! STOP-GETTING-EXCITED!
- Squick: Many moments in-universe, most notably this conversation;Dodoria: And that's why I was considered the most beautiful, and fertile, woman on my home planet. Before Freeza blew it up.
Vegeta: He tends to do that. Also, huuuugh.
17: (Looking shocked) I was not ready for today.18: (Also shocked) I don't think any of us were.
- After Dodoria says she has a thick meaty vagina, Vegeta kills her without hesitation all the while squicking over it in Dragon Ball Z Kai Abridged episode 2.
- Trunks gets freaked out when Bulma (his mother) comes on to him. When she finds out that he's her son from the future she is likewise disturbed
- Vegeta (and Freeza's) reaction to the solar flare.
- 17 and 18's reaction to 16 tearing off Cell's tail.
Cell: Hello... brother.Android 17: Come again?Cell: In a moment. And hello, my beautiful sister. [suggestive slurping noises]Anrdoid 18: Oh, fuck no.
- An extreme example in Episode 47.
- Stating the Simple Solution: Bulma suggests they find Dr. Gero before he can build the androids and "murder that son of a bitch in cold blood!"
- Stay in the Kitchen: Dr. Briefs to his wife.
- Stay Where You Are And We'll Shoot YouKrillin: Don't you mean "Or we'll shoot you"?
Mook: We know what we said.
- Stealth Hi/Bye:
- Ginyu pulls the Hi part on Vegeta twice.Ginyu: Hi Vegeta.
Vegeta: Hi Ginyu.
- In episode 43, Krillin manages to appear next to Trunks without him noticing.Krillin: I affectionately refer to it as "stealth mode".
- Ginyu pulls the Hi part on Vegeta twice.
- Stealth Pun:
- Recoome's leitmotif is "At Doom's Gate" from DOOM, punning on his famous "Recoome rhymes with doom" line.
- A pretty subtle one after the intro sequence of episode 50.Cell: All at once! Augh... Just... can I have a minute?
Vegeta: Sure you can.
Cell: Well thank you, that's apprecia-
- Stealth Insult:
- When Piccolo finds Nail on Namek, Nail mutters some Namekian language. Given how he's saying it, it can easily be translated into "Help me, douche."
- Kami issues one to Goku in Dead Zone Abridged.Goku: Stay here; don't move.
Kami: If I didn't know you better, I'd call you a smartass.
- Tien gives one to Yamcha during the Cell Games.Yamcha: I just have hope. Is that so wrong?
Tien The fact you have any hope left in your life is your most admirable quality.
- Stock Phrases: Freeza keeps count of how many times he hears these from would-be heroes. He keeps track of even more than we do due to his constant exposure to heroic speeches; phrases such as "We're... going to... f$#!k your face!", which we would consider unique ones, he counts as stock, having heard it twelve times so far.
- And as for the more common ones?Namekian Elder: That...that wasn't part of the deal!
Freeza: Aaaand FIVE HUNDRED! Dodoria, show 'em what they've won!
- In the Bardock special, Freeza complains about having to hear said speeches.
- In Episode 27, Goku finally gives one Freeza has never heard: "Imma deck you in the schnoz!"
- And as for the more common ones?
- Stock Scream: The Wilhelm Scream can be heard in the Bardock Special. Also, from the Bardock Special onwards, the dying screams of the characters from Team Fortress 2 are used for the deaths of almost all mooks.
- The Wilhelm Scream is discussed by a pair of mooks in episode 23. They're discussing it and trying (and failing) to imitate it; they get it right when Vegeta kills them.
- Stoners Are Funny: Mr. Popo after dropping a gallonnote of LSD.
- Straight Man:
- The hilariously violent Vegeta does not suffer fools lightly.Vegeta: Nappa, what are you doing?
Nappa: It's his turn, Vegeta; I have to wait for him.
Vegeta: (sputters in disbelief, as his nose starts bleeding)
Nappa: You okay, Vegeta?
Vegeta: Yes, just... just an aneurysm from the sheer stupidity.
Nappa: Huh. Didn't think you were that stupid, Vegeta!
Vegeta: (screams in rage) 9 minutes, 18 seconds. 9 minutes, 18 seconds!
Nappa: What's that, Vegeta?
Vegeta: Happiest. Moment. Of. My life!
Vegeta: I'm surrounded by idiots.
Goku: I thought you were surrounded by gumdrops and ice cream!
[Vegeta screams in anguished frustration]
Zarbon: Vegeta! How dare you ram into me when I'm thinking about Lord Freeza and my thong.
Vegeta: Yeah... just going to ignore that one entirely.
- After joining the good guys, Vegeta has become less of a straight man due to his planet-size ego. Trunks and Tenshinhan (and occassionally Cell) serve as the Straight Man to his out-of-control arrogance.
- Tenshinhan, while ironically being labeled gay, seems like a straight guy, almost on par with how he's portrayed in the English dubs of DB and DBZ.Tenshinhan: I'm the only serious character in this show. That's the joke.
- Also, Nail, especially in comparison with Butt Monkey Krillin and his senile and Ax-Crazy master, Guru.
- Gohan has so far been this for the heroes.
- Piccolo (when not being The Loner) puts up with an awful lot of Goku's idiocy and Nail's inane small talk
- The hilariously violent Vegeta does not suffer fools lightly.
- Strange Minds Think Alike:
- After Nail makes it clear to Krillin that he doesn't appreciate the nickname Krillin tried to give him...Guru: Big Greeeeeen!
- Vegeta and Zarbon in Episode 17 try to lay low and don't want to fly around like a jackass saying "I've got a Dragon Ball!"/"Come to papa, you bald bastard!". They were going to say "Come and get me, Freeza" but what they heard works too.
- Gohan and Vegeta singing Don't Stop Me Now in episode 18.
- Chiaotzu (almost) correctly guesses that Freeza pulled a Taking You with Me when Goku proved to powerful to beat, since he tried the same thing. The almost comes from the fact that Freeza would have survived if he'd done it correctly, and Chiaotzu is instead guessing King Kai's line of thought.
- Dende and King Kai thinking up the same plan to get the living people off of Namek, save Goku and Freeza.
- In Episode of Bardock, the villagers start to sing on two different occasions. Both times they are stopped, first by Bardock and then Chilled, with both saying "No! None of that! Shame on you!"
- Popo decides in episode 56 that he's going to call Dende "Little Green", putting him on the same wavelength as Krillin.
- After Nail makes it clear to Krillin that he doesn't appreciate the nickname Krillin tried to give him...
- Stupid Chancellor: Nappa to King Vegeta.
- Stupidity Nosebleed: Nappa makes Vegeta have one in episode 9.
- Stupid Sacrifice: Even Piccolo realizes that he could have simply grabbed Gohan rather than take the hit for him.
- Sudden Humility:Gohan: With this powerup, I'm now as strong as you were when we fought on Earth!
Vegeta: Congratulations! You're still weaker than the last 3 guys I killed.
Gohan: Wow. I now know what it's like to feel like Krillin.
Krillin: Sucks, doesn't it?
- Super Senses: Namekians and hearing. Piccolo can hear people talking... from the other side of the planet.Gohan (stuck on top of a cliff) How am I supposed to get down from here?
Piccolo (from really far away) CLIMB DOWN!
Gohan: I can't even get any food or water! What should I do?
Piccolo: I SAID CLIMB DOWN!!
Gohan: If only I had some sticks or reeds lying around... I could make a makeshift ladder, or a rope...
- Similarly:Dende: He is on Namek.
Gohan: Wait, where is he?
Dende: On Namek.
Piccolo: (from the other side of the planet) You dumbass!
Krillin: Why didn't it bring him here?
Dende: You must be specific.
Gohan: Oh, so it's a sort of monkey's paw; you have to be careful what the hubris in your wish is.
Piccolo: (still distant) NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD!
- And shortly after that, when Vegeta figures out Gohan and Krillin have summoned Porunga without him:Vegeta: Oh, you mother—*cut to Krillin and Gohan*—fuckers!
Piccolo: (still distant) Ow, my ears!
- Lord Slug's weakness, which Piccolo totally exploits; Piccolo rips his ears off first so he isn't affected.What?
- In 34 when Piccolo overhears Trunks and Goku's conversation and laughing and taunting Vegeta:Piccolo: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!
Vegeta: What's so funny!?
Piccolo: Your shirt!!
- Suicide as Comedy: The fate of the space orphans in episode 12.Cutter: Everyone! Take your cyanide pills!
Shot of Yamcha's hanging corpse
- Played darkly straight in Episode 34, where Future Trunks reveals that Yamcha kills himself upon learning that Bulma is pregnant with Vegeta's child. Even Goku is taken aback.
- "Super Sentai" Stance: The Ginyu Force, as expected. In Episode 22, Goku tells Ginyu it's boring, and an offended Ginyu says that he makes these poses to raise morale.
- Surrounded by Idiots:
- Vegeta uses these exact words when he realizes Goku's no brighter than Nappa.
- Also Freeza, much to his chagrin. Except for Ginyu who, quirky as he might be, calms Freeza down with sensible advice.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial:
- Planet Vegeta was blown up by falling rocks, not a Death Ball thrown by Freeza. At least, that's what its Wikipedia entry says.
- P.S. Freeza rules you!
- Gohan's stupid-looking watch tells time, and nothing else...
- When Vegeta asks Krillin to almost kill him, we get a blend of this and Exact Words.Krillin: And there's no reprecussion for this?
Vegeta: I will not punch you.
Krillin: Oddly specific.
- Krillin doesn't listen to his instructions, so Vegeta threatens to punch him anyway.
- Mr. Popo doesn't torture cats.
- Planet Vegeta was blown up by falling rocks, not a Death Ball thrown by Freeza. At least, that's what its Wikipedia entry says.
- Take That!: The AWA special is an affectionate Take That! to the crew at Daizenshuu EX... at least, we hope it's affectionate, considering they interviewed TFS on their podcast and played the video at their panel...
- Another one is directed at Dragon Ball Evolution:Goku: Man, this is worse than that time I was in high school, and all the guys called me "Geeko", and I was Piccolo's slave, I couldn't get ChiChi to like me, and... Oh wow, I hit that rock harder'n I thought.
- And then there's this:Nappa: Wait, Vegeta! Does that mean we've offended EVERYONE?!
Vegeta: Hold on a minute, let me think... DRAGONBALL: THE MOVIE!
Nappa: Haha...aha! Aaaaah, high school!
- And then there's this:
- And then this jab at a certain dub.Krillin: I know! I'm gonna call you Big Green!
Nail: CALL ME THAT AGAIN AND I WILL SNAP YOUR NECK!
- Vegeta says this to Gohan after he runs into him in episode 18.
- There are several in the Bardock special, aimed at the later villians and the GT saga, when Bardock sees into the future as he is dying.Bardock: But wait...wait, there's more. He fights...a giant green bug...man. And then a giant...pink...manchild. Oh no, it's dark again...where is...
Para Para Brothers: *rapping and dancing*
Bardock: ...and I now welcome the sweet embrace of death...
- Speaking of GT, in Episode 20, when Vegeta introduces himself, the "Step into the Grand Tour!" rap from Funimation's GT dub (prior to the season boxsets) plays. He quickly says "Oh the f$#!k with this!" and attacks Recoome.
- Also from Episode 20...Vegeta: Wrestling's fake.
Crowd: *boos him*
- In the Lord Slug specialDr Briefs: Quick, get me Bruce Willis, Steve Buscemi, and Aerosmith!
Oolong: What about Ben Affleck?
Dr Briefs: (sharply) What about bacon? (Remember that Oolong is a talking pig)
- In the Episode of Bardock special, Bardock himself utters this towards his own plot line!
- Also in the Episode of Bardock, Lord Chilled and his minions, disguised as the Space Police, say they are there to catch evil space criminals and other ne'er do wells. What does Dre say?Dre: I can assure you we have already exiled Chris of the clan Brown from our planet.
- When Android 19 dies he says "Your 30-Day Free Trial has expired. Would you like to purchase WinRAR?"
- As Vegeta and Nappa land on earth, one of the buildings they hit on the way down reads "Saban Capital Group."
- Another one is directed at Dragon Ball Evolution:
- Take That, Audience! / Take That Me: When Recoome's introduction turns into a send-up of pro wrestling, this is Vegeta's response: "What kind of sadistic retard watches this crap?"
- At which point the scene quickly cuts to Freeza watching them...Freeza: Love this show.
- At which point the scene quickly cuts to Freeza watching them...
- Take That Me: Android 13 gets frustrated as he delivers folksy sayings that get increasingly nonsensical.
- Take Off Your Clothes: Vegeta to Krillin and Gohan in Episode 24.Vegeta: Now both of you... strip.
Vegeta: I've got body armor for you.
Krillin: Less awkward.
- Apparently, King Yemma has been having newly dead arrivals remove their clothes for laughs. In episode 28:King Yemma: Next! Strip. (stamp.) Next! Strip. (stamp.) Next! Strip. (zipping sound, King Yemma leans forward.) Nice!
Recoome: Recoome thanks you.
- Apparently, King Yemma has been having newly dead arrivals remove their clothes for laughs. In episode 28:
- Taking You with Me: Lord Slug to Goku in Lord Slug Abridged.
- Chiaotzu attempts this with Nappa, but fails to accomplish anything except killing himself.
- In "Deadzone Abridged" Kami threatens Garlic Jr. with this, but is talked out of it by Piccolo.
- Talking Is a Free Action: Averted, as Jeice found out the hard way. Several times.
- Also averted by Freeza, who is more than happy to power up while the Z fighters are busy talking. He even lampshades how easy it is to get away with it around them.
- Talk Like a Pirate: On King Kai's planet, Bojack is given a pirate accent, it's currently unknown if this will stick.
- Talk to the Fist: Jeice repeatedly gets interrupted by being punched by Goku in Episode 21.
- Technology Levels: Unknown where Earth is, but Freeza is seen using Wikipedia, SpaceTwitter, and Space Skype.
- Vegeta watches Space Hulu.
- Vegeta watches Space Hulu.
- Teleportation Rescue: The take on Goku rescuing Tien and Piccolo adds Goku forgetting that he could teleport.Gohan: No! We CAN'T just let him die like this! You gotta save him!Goku: But I can't get him in time! There's no way I could move fast enough to grab him, get out, and--beat--Goku teleports-Gohan: Did-did he just remember he can do that?Mr. Popo: Your father's an idiot.
- Temporal Paradox: When Trunks asks Goku to keep his birth a secret from his parents or else he might not exist in the future. Goku who's an Idiot Hero, points out the Temporal Paradox.Goku: Wait, but if you don't exist; then you don't come back in time. But then you could never tell me. Which means I never know. You'd still be born and... Why does everything smell like copper?
- Tempting Fate:Krillin: It's been tough, but now we'll never have to see that rotten Saiyan ever again! [Vegeta crashes to Earth] ...Alive again. We'll never have to see him alive again. That's what I meant.
Vegeta: They've broken my body... I've failed in my mission to find the Dragon Balls... I even lost my tail... but at least it can't get any worse... from here...
Ghost Nappa: Vegeeeeta...
- Earlier:Krillin: Ow! This can't possibly get any worse.
Krillin: AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! (Krillin Owned Count: 4)
- Then later:Goku: Oh well, we won't need [all four senzu beans] on Namek!
- Still later:Ginyu: This is RIDICULOUS! But at least I'm not trapped in some useless body.
(Vegeta warps behind him)
Vegeta: Give me a minute.
- And then...Dende: "I'm your white mage. And nobody f$#!ks with the white mage." *Freeza'd*
- Freeza tests his limits as well.Freeza: If I'm so evil, then let God strike me where I stand. (cue bolt of lightning... which doesn't harm Freeza at all) Ha, nice try, jackass! Next time, give it your A-game!
- One could argue that said "A-game" came in the form of an enraged Super Saiyan and a couple of wayward Destructo-Disks. God being God and all, the lightning strike was probably just a final warning of what was to come.
- On Namek, Nail mentions that he wants something exciting to happen and doesn't care what it is. It cannot be denied that an invasion from Freeza does make things less boring.
- In Episode 32, Bulma and Vegeta both seem rather good at this.Bulma: He's probably running out of fuel soon so God knows if he'll ever make it back here!
Vegeta: (crashes to Earth) I'M BACK, BITCHES!
Vegeta: The only thing I hate more than weaklings is the color pink! (Sees the pink shirt Bulma set out for him) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
- During Piccolo and Android 17's fight, 18 groans that it couldn't get any dumber than the two in a deadlock, screaming at the top of their lungs. Next time we see them, they're punching each other in the gut and 18 corrects herself.
- Tertiary Sexual Characteristics: You wouldn't even think about it until after the reveal, but Dodoria is pink.
- And looks like she has lipstick and eyeshadow on. Not to mention her going nuts whenever someone calls her fat.
- Tethercat Principle: Invoked. During Piccolo's fight with Freeza, Freeza starts blasting him repeatedly. The scene switches to other characters and when it returns to them Piccolo is still getting blasted, painfully asking "Why is this still happening?"
- When Krillin dies, he's screaming. Four months later, he's revived, still screaming.
- That Came Out Wrong: From episode 23:Ginyu: First off, we have to touch on Freeza's balls.
Jeice: Uhhh, sir...
Ginyu: Yes, yes, realized the moment I said it...
- That's What She Said: Krillin's response to Burta's remark about being "the fastest in the universe."
- Theme Naming: Parodied in Episode 25. In DBZ canon, most characters from a certain family, race or faction are all theme-named. In particular, the Saiyan race are all named after vegetables (which "Vegeta" itself is short for), so the "smartass" Saiyan who informs King Vegeta of Freeza's plans is named "Butaraga"note .
- The primitive Saiyans in Episode of Bardock are all named after rappers.
- In the same special, Chilled decides all his minions will be named after fruits, causing some confusion when he randomly starts issuing orders to their "new" names.
- The primitive Saiyans in Episode of Bardock are all named after rappers.
- Theme Song Power Up: Subverted in Episode 29:Gohan: That last attack drained all of his energy! We've got to help him!
("Chou ★ Super Dragon Soul" starts playing)
Krillin: You're right, Gohan! It's time to get in there and throw down!
(The song abruptly stops.
Gohan: Really, Krillin?
Krillin: Ha ha! F**k no!
- Theme Tune Cameo: In Episode 17, Bulma is humming Romantic Ageru Yo, from the original Dragon Ball, when Krillin arrives with the Dragon Ball he got from Super Kami Guru.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: Happens often, but a memorable moment is after Popo knocks Krillin off Kami's lookout (Krillin Owned Count: 3)Popo: Enjoy the climb back up, bitch!
- Vegeta seems to be fond of this trope:Vegeta: [after stealing Freeza's Dragon Balls] Later, bitches.
Vegeta: [after stealing a Capsule Corp. spaceship] Sayonara, bitches!
Vegeta: [after returning to Earth] I'm back, bitches!
- In Episode 33, one of Freeza's soldiers is more eager to fight Trunks than the rest:Man, move yo' bitchin' bitch-ass over, bitch.
- Even Android 16 gets one, after Cell pushes his Berserk Button by saying that after absorbing the other Androids, he'll kill Goku. "Would you care to repeat that, YOU SON OF A BITCH?"
- Vegeta seems to be fond of this trope:
- This Is Gonna Suck: Yamcha, from the moment he realizes he's the closest one to the androids' rampage to the moment he gets a fist through his chest, is entirely (and correctly) convinced that he's walking into one of the worst experiences of his life. To his credit, he goes anyway. Also, there's this:Gohan: We have about 10 minutes before Vegeta finds out I stole this. *holds out a Dragonball*
- This Is Something He's Got to Do Himself: Played with as Piccolo insists this while Tenshinhan fights Nappa... despite the former's desperate pleas for help.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Even while Nappa and Vegeta mock Krillin, Nappa points out that, "at least you've proven that your Raditz is still stronger than our Raditz."
- After learning that in Future Trunks' timeline, Yamcha commits suicide due to learning that Bulma was pregnant with Vegeta's child, Goku tells Yamcha that he's his friend. Trunks is also trying to be nice to Yamcha, and attempts to avoid saying the word "hanging."
- Time Travel: In "Episode of Bardock", Bardock gets sent back to planet Vegeta, extremely far in the past, though he takes a while to figure this out.
- Future Trunks and Cell of course. His ship even makes the TARDIS noises
- Title Drop: Lampshaded and called out in the Christmas Tree of Might.
- Episode 29's title, "Freezer Burn", gets dropped as well.
- Too Dumb to Live: Freeza's honest view of Goku and all the nonsensical stuff he spouts out.Freeza: N-no, that was a rhetorical question.
Goku: And I gave you a rhetorical answer.
Freeza: Good Lord, I traded Vegeta for this.
Garlic: Oh god, your father's Goku. Oh my GOD, you morons stole Goku's kid?! How? How did you steal Goku's kid?!
- And then:Goku: Wow, that was a close one. I was almost out of the frying pan and into the...lava.
Freeza: How do you function?
- Later still:Freeza: I just love how easy it is to get away with this s*** with you people. I mean I want to transform and you sit there and let me; I want to blow up the planet and you sit there and let me; I want to reach 100% power and YOU JUST SIT THERE AND LET ME!.
- This is Bardock's assessment of the Kannasans. Just because they're psychic doesn't mean they're smart, a theory which turns out to hold water. Though they managed to repopulate later, so maybe they weren't as dumb as they appeared.
- Let's not forget about Nappa.Nappa: [after Krillin throws a Destructo Disk at him] Ooh, a Frisbee, Vegeta!
Vegeta: Nappa, no! It's a trick!
Nappa: But Vegeta, tricks are for kids.
Vegeta: (Beat) You know what, on second thought, catch it. Catch it with your teeth.
- Garlic Jr.'s minions in the remade Dead Zone. Upon realizing that the kid his minions kidnapped is the son of Son Goku, strongest man on Earth:
Cinnamon: Well, first we beat up his wife...
Garlic: Oh my shit.
Kami: Wait so you tried to have me killed, then use the Dragon Balls.
- There's also them trying to kill Piccolo, and by extension, Kami, and THEN try to use the Dragon Balls. They both realize it. Hell, even GOKU figured it out before them.
Garlic: What? Yow, what? Oh, shit. Wow, I dodged a bullet on that one! Thank god my minions are so incompetent!
Goku: Well of course he's alive, Kami's alive. I mean, you guys have used the Dragon Balls, right?
- Then not long after, when the minions realize Piccolo is alive...
Ginger: Oh wow, yeah, thank god we're incompetent.
- And then:
- Too Funny to Be Evil: NAPPA.
- Took a Level in Badass: Played straight and lampshaded with Goku, Gohan and the 'Z Warriors' in season 1. And then subverted in season 2:Guru: [about Krillin] I see something within this young man: strength yet untapped, power yet unleashed. Now hold still, as I unleash the valley of strength hidden deep within! [nimbus of lights surround Krillin] There. I have unlocked your hidden potential.
Krillin: Huh... I don't feel that different.
Guru: It wasn't that much.
Krillin: Huh. So this is my full potential?
Krillin: So it's...
Guru: ...all downhill from here.
Krillin: Like Yamcha.
Guru: I do not know what this Yamcha is, but it sounds disappointing.
- Took a Level in Dumbass: Goku's getting stupider with every episode. And it's hilarious.
- Took A Level In Jerk Ass: Krillin in season 2. He never bothers to learn Dende's name and berates him for going on about his family's death (though since he was resurrected before and naturally knows anyone can be brought back but its still pretty cruel). He also keeps being more cowardly and refusing to fight. Possibly that this may just be a result of everyone being a dick to him but its hard to feel bad for him compared to season 1.
- Heck, compared to the source material, damn near EVERYBODY.
- Dende, progressively throughout Season 2 and especially when he returns for Season 3 - it's downright jarring to see him act so hesitant and polite in his initial appearances. Justified, as he had a pretty traumatic experience on Namek, made no better by the fact that he spent a LOT of time with both Krillin and Guru.
- Too Soon: An in-universe running gag, in which anytime Krillin makes an inappropriately-timed joke on the heels of a tragedy, or makes reference to a real-life tragic event, someone will yell back "Krillin! Too soon!"
- Totally Radical: Cell tries to get 18 to let him absorb her by projecting an image of her brother trying to convince her to "get all up in Cell" by telling her "it's downright tubular in here." However, considering Cell's version of 17 sounded as stereotypically 90s as you can get, she's not fooled at all.18: Wow, you really know nothing about us.Cell: Well, to be fair, I did just meet you.
- Training from Hell: Played straight (though hilariously) with Piccolo. Subverted with King Kai. And then there's the Training Montage. Taken to its literal extreme with Mr. Popo. Check out 2:45 for a sample.Gohan: So, how was your training, Krillin?
[Krillin freezes as he hears Popo's mocking laughter in his head]
Krillin: [weeping] First rule of Popo's training! Do not talk about Popo's training!
Gohan: Why are you crying?
Krillin: SECOND RULE OF POPO'S TRAINING!
- Training Montage: This AMV sums up the training leading up to Vegeta and Nappa's landing. And it. Is. awesome.
- Tranquil Fury: How Vegeta responds to having his tail cut off.Vegeta: [Calmly] You know... I thought I'd be angrier, what with the utter humiliation and loss of my tail... Or maybe I'm just so unbelievably enraged that I've come full circle. Oh well! Either way it's time to put an end to this.
- Then he calmly unburdens his shame of his defeat on Earth to Cui before blowing him straight to hell. It's starting to look like the only thing scarier than a raging Vegeta is a mellow one. And, of course, Mr. Popo."God, I love therapy."
- And used twice when his attempt to explain his superiority fall flat due to stupid remarks from Goku.Vegeta: I'm going to start beating you now. I don't know when I'll stop.
- [Later, as he's about to crush Goku's body like a grape]Vegeta: I'm going to enjoy this far more than I should.
- Also Bulma's answer to Krillin's "The Reason You Suck" Speech.
- And Freeza can do it too, though the tranquility isn't always stable.Freeza: Oh, I'm sorry, I'm usually more composed. I'm just a little bit absolutely livid.
- In Episode 30, it actually makes (Super Saiyan) Goku temporarily smarter.Goku: Gohan, take Piccolo, find Bulma, get back to the ship.
Gohan: But what about you?
Goku: If Piccolo dies then all of this was pointless! Take him, get to the ship, and get out of here!
Gohan: This is surprisingly well thought-out for you.
Goku: ...Gohan? Where should you be right now?
Gohan: The ship?
Goku: THE SHIP!!!
- King Cold had a rather jovial tone of voice after Freeza was killed. When Trunks says he thought Cold would be more pissed, Cold cheerfully replies "Oh, blindingly so."
- Then he calmly unburdens his shame of his defeat on Earth to Cui before blowing him straight to hell. It's starting to look like the only thing scarier than a raging Vegeta is a mellow one. And, of course, Mr. Popo.
- Transformation Is a Free Action:
Piccolo: I feel like...we should be stopping this.
- Played with. Vegeta and Freeza's first transformations happen in seconds, with our heroes too shocked to react. Nail distracts Piccolo during Freeza's second one. He only gets away with his third one because Krillin used up too much power shooting Vegeta to make a Kienzan when Gohan asks him why he doesn't do just that. Gloriously lampshaded by Freeza when fighting Super Saiyan Goku.
- Goku himself lampshades this in Revenge of Cooler, wondering why he allows the villains to do this at all. Although, like Freeza's first transformation, Cooler's transformation does happen pretty fast as well.
- Played straight again with Super Android 13, whose transformation involves the remains of his allies flying towards him and being absorbed.
Goku: Aw, I want a good fight!
- Trapped in Villainy: It gives us a fairly strong hint that Zarbon and at least some of Freeza's other men are this.Freeza: You know, Zarbon, I'm starting to think my people don't understand what I pay them for.
Zarbon: You don't pay us—
Freeza: —allow them to live for.
- [Trope Name]:Nappa: Hilariously derailing one-liner.
- True Companions: The Z-Warriors minus Vegeta by the Android Saga. Trunks, believing he was one of them, asked how the group could be friends with his Jerk Ass father. Tien notes he was assuming a bit too much there.
- The Ginyu Force, minus Guldo, serve as a villainous example. It also runs especially deep between Jeice and Burter.
- Try Not to Die: When Krillin goes out to get the Namekian Dragon Balls' password, Vegeta offers him this encouragement.Vegeta: Try not to get yourself killed out there, God forbid you make me happy.
- Twist Ending:
- In Lord Slug Abridged, Guru is Lord Slug's Evil Twin.
- During an FAQ special, Bubbles answered the question of how the episodes were scheduled. Yes, the monkey. And no, they didn't have subtitles this time.
- Uncovering Relationship Status: Krillin admits beforehand that it's probably an inappropiate time for this, but he still asks 18 if she's "seeing anyone right now" while they're desperately trying to run away from Cell in Episode 51.
- Unexpectedly Dark Episode: "The History of Trunks" in Dragon Ball Z Abridged is one of the darker episodes, with the Androids' sociopathic behavior and the deaths of the majority of the cast in Trunks' timeline played relatively seriously, especially Gohan.
- Unexplained Recovery: The entire Kanassian species miraculously repopulated after being exterminated and eaten by giant monkeys.
- The Unintelligible: Lord Slug, prior to the granting of his wish. Also Neiz (the red guy who's part of Cooler's Quirky Miniboss Squad), goes from being able to speak normally in the original movie to this.
- Unnecessary Combat Roll: Piccolo does a series of backflips to gain some distance from 17. Nail and Kami immediately lampshade how impractical this is, considering he could just fly.
- The Unpronouncable: Nobody seems to be able to pronounce the Japanese name for Piccolo's "Special Beam Cannon* ", including Piccolo himself."Makansa... Makakasappa... Mekasappaaah, Oh to hell with it. Special Beam Cannon!"
- "Makansapparappaka!!"(In Kai Abridged.)
- Goku: "So are you just stealing Krillin's attacks now or should I look out for the Tri-Beam... or the Garlic Gun... or the Makankapotamus".
- Cell manages to pronounce it properly, much to Kami's interest.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal:
"That thing's a GUY!?!?!"
- Krillin initially assumes Freeza is a woman.
- And then in episode 15, we get an inversion from Dodoria.
- Unstoppable Rage:
- Vegeta in episode 18. It even drives him temporarily insane, until Gohan powering up snaps him out of it.
- Also, just like in the show Gohan is known for these in general - only now they're even more exaggerated.
- Unusual Euphemism:Goku: Holy black on a Popo!
- Also "What the HFIL?" in reference to the Bowdlerisation of "Hell" from the original American import. Similarly, there's an episode where Goku is driving (badly) while singing "I'm on the highway to HFIL" (also badly).
- Bulma nearly dies, which she refers to as being "a wish".
- Vegeta has a meltdown in one episode, his words being bleeped by Jeice's malfunctioning scouter. The stinger of that episode shows his unbleeped rant, which is a string of unusual euphemisms.
- One of those euphemisms, "Find me in the Alps", is repeated by Dr. Gero a few episodes later.
- Unwanted Assistance: In episode 22, Super Kami Guru talks up Nail to Freeza something fierce...Guru: Please. Nail isn't afraid of you. He is the strongest of our race!
Freeza: Oh really?
Nail: ...uhhh, sir?
Guru: Yeah, Nail's gonna destroy your sorry ass! They wouldn't be able to air it on the news because it'll be so BRUUUTAL!
Nail: Sir, seriously!
Guru: Hush, Nail! I'm speaking for you.
- Useless Superpowers: The ability to see the future is often less than productive.Bardock: Useless-ass psychic powers! *takes giant energy beam to the face*
- Viewers Are Geniuses: Some of the jokes are quite subtle and you'd really have to be in the know to get them.
- The obscurity of some jokes was actually lampshaded at one point.Vegeta: Oh God damn it Nappa, nobody's going to get that.
Tien: As a matter of fact, I did.
- The obscurity of some jokes was actually lampshaded at one point.
- Villainous Breakdown: As of Episode 24, Freeza finally hit his when Nail tells him that while he spent an hour flying to the middle of nowhere and then spent a further fifteen minutes ripping his arm off, Dende has given the earthlings the password to the Dragonballs, shattering his polite and mocking facade for good.Freeza: I WILL F***ING MURDER YOU!
- He gets a second one immediately after when he realizes that his entire army, including his most elite fighting force, have been bested by a 26-year-old dwarf, a five year old half-breed (not present: his Saiyan father, who wiped four of the five) and a Saiyan prince (the last of which actually killed them all) he had written off as beneath his notice. Made for a bitchin' day.
- Freeza Lampshades this in episode 25;Freeza: Oh, I'm sorry. I'm usually far more composed. I'm just a little bit absolutely livid.
- Then there's his entire fight with Goku. That seriously took a toll on Freeza's patience.Freeza: That's stupid! You're stupid! Stop being stupid!
- And it just keeps going downhill after Goku becomes Super Saiyan:Freeza: You think now that you're this... so-called Super Saiyan that you're better than me—Lord Freeza?! WELL YOU'RE NOT!! I own you! I own your planet! I own this planet! In fact... F*CK THIS PLANET!!!
Freeza: You f*cked me...YOU F*CKED ME, YOU MONKEY F*CK!
- Dragon Ball Z Kai Abridged's version turns it into this gem:
- And even later:Freeza: SMASH MONKEY! SMASH MONKEY!!
- Freeza goes through another breakdown when he sees Future Trunks go Super Saiyan.Mecha-Freeza: No. No! NO! KILL! MURDER! DESTROY! EXTERMINATE! ''EXTERMINATE!''
- Villainous B.S.O.D.: Freeza literally has one when Future Trunks cuts him in half, showing an actual Windows BSOD, then the screen itself splits as he does.
- #19 suffers a similar issue when murder.exe suffers a fatal error and his eyes change to red circles with a white X (akin to the picture on error messages)
- Villain Protagonist: Let's not kid ourselves, Vegeta is pretty much the protagonist for the first half of season 2. And he's most definitely a villain. For the moment.
- Villain Song: Cell introduces his Perfect Form with one.
- Villainy Discretion Shot: Vegeta slaughters an entire Namekian village while the opening credits play.
- Visual Pun: In the Spaceys advert, the dessert shown when advertising the Raditz menu is a double sundae.
- Vocal Evolution: Quite a few.
- Vegeta's voice is still very raspy, though not as low and growly and Christopher Sabatty as it used to be.
- Krillin's voice is also much higher and goofier than in the first season.
- Goku's voice now sounds a bit more nasally.
- Megami33's performance as Bulma and Chiaotzu has improved, giving them both slightly deeper voices. Helping her is the fact that she is using a much better microphone than at the beginning of the episode.
- Voice of the Legion: "I AM CHAMPION CHRISTMAS!!!"
- "WHERE'S MY BABY?"
- Voices Are Not Mental: Goku and Ginyu, rather than keeping their own voices as they do in the original when they switch bodies, are stuck with each other's voices, but still talk like themselves, including one another's accents. Other users of this trope should learn from them.
- Goku still thinks in his own voice though, which also makes sense. As does Ginyu.
- Volleying Insults: Nail and Vegeta do this to each other in episode 18.
- A little between Freeza and Vegeta in Episode 25:Freeza: I'm impressed, Vegeta. When did you graduate from Pull-Ups?
Vegeta: About the same time you got off the rag.
- Goku and Freeza do this in Episode 30:Freeza: You're nothing but an overgrown monkey!
Goku: And you're nothing but an overgrown that thing Chi-Chi keeps in her drawer!
- Bulma and Vegeta in episode 34, as part of their Belligerent Sexual Tension. They even jumped straight to do the deed after almost 5 minutes of bickering. To put a short part:Bulma: Don't you call me stupid!
Vegeta: Well, then how about bitch!?
Bulma: Arrogant dick!
Vegeta: Spoiled sow!
Bulma: F*ck you!
Vegeta: F*ck you!
Bulma: F*ck you!!
Vegeta: F*CK! YOU!
Bulma: My room, ten minutes.
- A little between Freeza and Vegeta in Episode 25:
- Vomit Discretion Shot: Played straight, then immediately averted in episode 28. When Goku spins Freeza around holding him by his tail, Freeza doesn't make it a secret that he's going to puke. We don't get to see the actual moment... but we get to see, seconds later, Krillin getting hit by, well, the unavoidable byproduct, projected at high speed across Namek. It's just a couple frames, before it zooms out to the whole planet and we get an update to the Krillin Owned Count.
- Voodoo Shark: When Bulma asks her mother why she never seems to age, she answers that it's because Dr. Briefs won't let her. note
- When Lord Slug somehow misses Goku with a giant energy blast despite being at point blank range, the only explanation we get is Goku's "lucky wristbands".
- Warrior Therapist: Nappa claims that he majored in Child Psychology (WITH A MINOR IN PAIN!) and goes on about the values of healthy communication... right before pounding the crap out of the guy he was talking about (Tenshinhan) because they had interrupted him while he was talking to Vegeta.
- On a less literal note, Vegeta becomes something like this, though only to himself. During his finale of Episode 10 he remarks about the possible reason behind his Tranquil Fury, and later on, after revealing the depths of his humiliation to Cui and then blowing him up to ensure that he would never tell anyone of it, Vegeta says that he loves therapy, and later on deliberately represses the memory of Dodoria's revelations. Considering that his anger seemed to have broke in Episode 18, his self-therapy doesn't really seem to be working very well.
- Waxing Lyrical: Vegeta occasionally quotes lyrics from "You're the Best Around"
- We All Live in America: In episode 16, Freeza uses a turn of phrase that only makes sense if you live in (Space) America.Freeza: I'm sorry, but if this sh*t goes any further south, we're going to hit Space Mexico.
- We Can Rule TogetherDodoria: You and I, we can team up against Freeza! Rule the universe...as husband and wife.
Vegeta: Repressing in 5!...4!...3!...2!...1! *BAM* ...And repressed.
- Zarbon later tries this (minus the proposal). Vegeta tells him he's already heard it.
- We Have Reserves:(whilst watching the Namekian warriors destroy Freeza's forces)
Dodoria: ...Kinda killing our guys.
Freeza: Oh, we have more of those things back at the ship. It's not like we're losing anything valuable.
- Lord Slug goes through soldiers like copy paper.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Trunks to Vegeta. Calling the Old Man Out via a Call Back and an energy blast to the face almost worked.Vegeta: Huh, this is a new feeling. Pride in someone else. Unfortunately it's overshadowed by all the UNYIELDING RAGE!!!
- Well, This Is Not That Trope: Played straight at the beginning of the Bardock special:Narrator: Long ago, on a planet long forgotten by time, a young hero was born; a righteous Saiyan warrior who would bring peace to the galaxy. This... is not his story.
- Wham Episode: Episode 24.
- Also Episode 31. In short summary, Marron is actually an agent of the States' Fraud Bureau who put on an act to get Krillin to reveal his insurance fraud. Also, Popo kills Garlic Jr. before he got to do anything along with his minions. Looks like we're headed straight into the Androids Saga earlier than expected.
- Episode 40. The tone of the episode shifts greatly at the end as the threat of the Androids is played completely seriously. And then Kami reveals that something worse is coming. Cut to an underground lab...
Gero's Son: Well, uh— just wanted you to know that I, uh...miss you, dad. What the—?Soldier: Hey, get your ass moving! Some thing is tearing its way through the compound!Kid Goku: Ka...me...HA...ME...!
- Episode 56. Bulma has discovered a video message hidden in 16's memory, that had been previously inaccessible — a video message from Dr. Gero's own son, the basis for 16. Now, in official canon, it's said that Gero's son died from a stray bullet. TFS gives a different reason why, and it gives Gero's obsession a whole new depth. The date of this message, by the way? May 12, Age 750.
- Wham Line: Episode 17:Zarbon: Well, I need to call my girlfriend.
- Episode 30, not so much because of the line itself, but because of who said it:Nappa: Hey, it's me. Don't ask me how I got this number, I've got people.
Kami: The Androids are a threat, yes. But they are paltry compared to what I fear comes next...
- Episode 40:
Chi-Chi: I want a divorce.
- Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan
- What Does This Button Do?: Goku launching his ship by pressing the exact same button Dr. Briefs told him not to press.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Minor one: Since in this version Vegeta does kill off Captain Ginyu, why doesn't he show up at King Kai's planet with the other Ginyus? Unless he's still a frog in the afterlife of course.
- A lampshaded case is the wish to bring back everyone killed by Freeza and his men. Vegeta gleefully points out that this leaves out the villagers he killed.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: "We could use whales! WHAAAALES!" 3 episodes later, Nappa kills them.Nappa: I sank their battleship! And their whales.
- What the Hell, Hero?:
- Yamcha gets chewed out for not warning the others that 19 and 20 can absorb energy until after Goku fires a Kamehameha. Reflects his Butt Monkey status since Krillin also knew this but never warned them either.
- Piccolo chews Kami out for stalling so long in fusing with Piccolo despite a major in running loose on earth, and for trying to give his job over to Goku, whose kid Piccolo has watched more then he has.
- What Would X Do?:
- Goku contemplates what Yamcha would do while fighting with Vegeta. Cut to a flashback of his unceremonious death. He moves up to Tien and uses the solar flare.
- Gohan tries to use his father as such an example. Cut to a flashback of "Bye, son!"
- When Goku is repeatedly punching him in the face, Jeice tries to remember what Captain Ginyu told him. Just as Jeice is remembering Ginyu's advice, Goku punches him again.
- Who's Laughing Now?: Guldo, a few minutes before he's brutally murdered.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: As in the original series, Bulma makes this suggestion when Goku tells the group about the androids. Only Vegeta just shoots it down instantly, wanting the challenge.
- When wishing back Goku Shenlong suggests just wishing Vegeta and Nappa dead, while Roshi ignores his advice (originally Oolong suggests this only for Roshi to point out the in-story reason why that won't work)
- Worf Barrage: After a spiriting pep talk from Vegeta's ghost, Goku fires up his Kaioken and unleashes a devastating Kamehameha beam against Freeza, culminating in a massive explosion. Up to this point whenever Goku yelled "Kaioken!" to power up, it resulted in him beating down his opponent thoroughly. However this time when the dust settles, Freeza is shown to have withstood the attack with some effort, but is mostly unscathed.Freeza: Kaio-what?
Goku: Kaio-Oh, Crap!
- The Worf Effect: Like, every Z warrior except Goku and Gohan. Then again, justified due to the series it's based on.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Gohan proposes such scientific strategies as knocking down Ape Vegeta due to his weight ratio and escaping Dodoria due to his size and mass when it should be clear he is in the fantasy world of Dragon Ball Z.
- Even Goku thought Vegeta's Oozaru form would be slowed down due to the increased mass, and was in for a rude awakening when that wasn't the case.
- This changes later on when a bulky Super Saiyan form used by trunks inexplicably does become slower from increased mass, despite it being far less of a gain than the Oozaru form or even the mass gained by his opponent's, Cell's, transformations. This time, Goku's observation of the effect comes across as him being a genius when it comes to fighting.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Team Four Star's fake Episode 2.Vegeta: You got Vegetowned!
- Also, the end of Christmas Tree of Might. Krillin gets a girlfriend, Marron from filler, but doesn't get to keep her as she's not canon.
- Gohan got books. He also got Icarus, but lost him for the same reason. Then he got him back for the Lord Slug movie. Then Icarus gets eaten. And Icarus is back again for the upcoming Revenge of Cooler movie. Goku calls him emergency food (probably doubles as a Shout-Out to Excel Saga).
- Yet Another Christmas Carol: Parodied at the end of the Christmas Tree of Might special. Ghost Nappa warns Vegeta that he will be visited by three ghosts. They're all Ghost Nappa.
- You Didn't See That: In Broly Abridged:Goku: Cell...
Goku: Did you destroy South Galaxy?
Cell: There's a South Galaxy?
Goku: Forget you heard that.
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!: Said by Vegeta when his explosive technique didn't kill the heroes.
- Pretty much invoked by Piccolo when Cell reveals his origin.Cell: I'm sure, by now, you're more than familiar with my father - Dr. Gero!Piccolo: Oh, God damn it.Cell: But Wait, There's More!
- Pretty much invoked by Piccolo when Cell reveals his origin.
- You Keep Using That Word: Invoked by Goku (of all people) against Freeza.Goku: Do you know what a minute is?
Freeza: What? Of course I do.
Goku: I don't think you do.
Cell: What are you made of? Pure metal?16: Affirmative. I am Android 16.Cell: Oh... Errors have been made.
- Trunks says that the androids are actually cyborgs, as they are part human and part machine. It doesn't stop everyone else from calling them androids. This is then subverted when Cell tries to absorb 16, who is indeed an android.
- You Killed My Father: Dende gets a little of this when he refuses to heal a dying Vegeta because Vegeta helped annihilate Dende's entire species.Dende: Oh, I'm sorry. I can't hear you over the blood of my people on your hands.
Vegeta: Oh no, do not be that guy right now.
Dende: Oh, I'm going to be that guy right now.
- Subverted, though, in that Dende is in fact convinced to do it, if only because Freeza is busy transforming into his most powerful form and Vegeta needed the power boost from almost dying to even have a hope of matching him.Piccolo: Now go heal Vegeta.
Dende: Why would I do that?
(Freeza shown mid transformation)
Piccolo: Because that.
Dende: Oh yeah, that's happening right now.
- Subverted, though, in that Dende is in fact convinced to do it, if only because Freeza is busy transforming into his most powerful form and Vegeta needed the power boost from almost dying to even have a hope of matching him.
- Your Mom: Several. For instance, an offscreen extra does one toward Bardock when he tries to warn everyone that Freeza's going to blow up the planet.Bardock: We need to raise an army!
Random Female Saiyan: Your Mom's an army!
- Vegeta to Cui:Cui: Where are you off to in such a hurry?
Vegeta: Off to plow your mother.
Cui: Hah! Shows what you know, Vegeta! We reproduce asexually.
Vegeta: Gross. Out of my way.
- Then appears as a Call Back in the next episode:
- A similar exchange happens between Vegeta and Final Form Freeza in episode 27. It's much less funny this time.Freeza: Now that we're done here, its time to send you crying home to mommy.
Vegeta: (Badly wounded) My mother's... dead...
Freeza: I know.
- From the same episode as the second Cui/Vegeta exchange:Freeza Goon A: Damn man, you couldn't hit the broad side of a space-barn!
Freeza Goon B: Yeah well that's only because I'm too busy hitting the broad side of Your Mom! *gets pwned by Gohan and Krillin*
- Then Cell gets in on the act when announcing the Cell Games:Cell: And much like Vegeta's mother, I will accept all comers.
Vegeta: How dare...
Krillin: Why'd you take your shirt off?
- Vegeta to Cui:
- You Will Be Assimilated: What Mr. Popo did to Blue Popo.
- Add Garlic Jr. and presumably, his minions to the tally.
- As per cannon, Cell absorbs a lot of bystanders for a power up, and then androids 17 and 18 to upgrade his form.