Mephistopheles: Nnnnot exactly... You get to help people kill themselves.
Welcome to Hell follows the story of Sock, a sweet but unstable teen who commits suicide after the Accidental Murder of his own parents. In Hell, he meets Mephistopheles, the amicable manager of the underworld, who offers him a job: Sock is to become a demon, tasked with haunting humans and driving them to suicide. At first this seems like Sock's dream job—a way he can finally act on his desires without consequence—but after meeting his first target, a disinterested high-schooler named Jonathan, he finds himself with another desire that just might be stronger... and just might have a consequence.
Welcome to Hell started as a Webcomic on DeviantArt. Some pages are posted on DeviantArt and have garnered some really good responses as well as two Daily Deviations. It was then given successful funding through Kickstarter to make a fully-animated Short Film.
This series contains recurring examples of:
- Accidental Murder: This is Sock. He just killed his parents. In his sleep.
- Accidental Pun:Sock: And what if I can't do it?
Mephistopheles: Then you're fired.
Mephistopheles: That wasn't a pun.
- Aerith and Bob: Napoleon Maxwell Sowachowski and Jonathan Combs.
- Afterlife Antechamber: Mephistopheles' office.
- A Hell of a Time: Hell is under renovations right now.
- Amusing Injuries
- Animesque: Early designs for the characters were drawn in a more anime style.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse:Sock: And if I decline your offer?
Mephistopheles: You won't.
Sock: Aw, well, I can't argue with that.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking:Mephistopheles: Itll be your job to haunt, torment, pester, and be a general nuisance.
- Black Comedy
- Celestial Bureaucracy: Hell is currently undergoing renovations.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Jon has a lot of gray and muted colors, while Sock's color scheme is basically made up of a rainbow.
- Curse Cut Short: Not an actual curse word, but still treated as such:Mephistopheles: I'm going to give you an offer.
Sock: Oh, you mean like a deal with the dev-
Mephistopheles: I mean like a job offer.
- Dateless Grave: Played for Laughs: Sock's tombstones don't even have proper names on them, to the point where he marked his own tombstone as just "ME".
- Demonic Possession: Not in the short, but in this artwork drawn by the creator.
- Devil's Job Offer: After Sock kills his parents and himself, Mephistopheles gives him an offer.Sock: So, what's gonna happen?Mephistopheles: What's gonna happen is that i'm going to give you an offer.Sock: Oh, you mean like a deal with the dev-Mephistopheles: I mean like a job offer.Mephistopheles: Oh please, Mr. Sowachowski, I already have your soul, did'ya think I was gonna challenge you to a fiddling contest or something?
- Dig Your Own Grave: The opening.
- Don't Fear the Reaper: Jon towards Sock.
- Driven to Suicide: Sock after murdering his parents, and what Sock is trying to convince Jonathan to do.
- Evil Lawyer Joke: The gluttons and the lawyers are in the middle of a turf war, apparently.
- Faceless Masses
- Fangs Are Evil: When Sock tells Jon that he is a demon, Sock's teeth go all sharp for a second.
- Flipping the Bird: Jon in the page image above.
- Gallows Humor
- God Job
- Grave Humor: Sock isn't very good at making gravestones.
- Grave-Marking Scene: The opening.
- Gym Class Hell: Jonathan is seen playing Basketball in gym class.
- Happy Dance: Sock in the second montage, much to Jonathan's chagrin.
- Hearing Voices: Sock is told that only Jonathan can hear him. In turn, Sock is the only one who can hear Mephistopheles. Hilarity Ensues whenever Sock talks to Meph within hearing distance of Jon.
- High School
- Hypocritical Humor:Sock: Come on, Jonathan! A little death never killed anybody!
- Insistent Terminology:
- Lame Pun Reaction: Sock towards Mephistopheles in the office scene.
- Late for School: Jonathan is seen running for the bus with toast in his mouth.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Mephistopheles mentions that he hadn't planned on Sock's job lasting longer than a student thesis film.
- Lemony Narrator: Mephistopheles.
- Left Hanging: The animation ends without showing what Jonathan's ultimate fate will be. A sequel is in progress though.
- Long List: Meph's loooong filing cabinet.
- Lowest Cosmic Denominator
- Lyrical Dissonance: The song, I Will Never (Be Your Friend) has a very bouncy melody.
- Male Restroom Etiquette: Jonathan embarrasses himself by yelling at Sock in a restroom.
- Mathematician's Answer: Jonathan's file on his age.
- Meaningful Name: Part of Sock's name — Maxwell — is a reference to The Beatles' song, "Maxwell's Silver Hammer"... it's an upbeat song about a Serial Killer.
- Mephistopheles is named after the demon character from Faust.
- The band Jonathan listens to, Valhalla Soundbox, is named after an afterlife for heroes in Norse mythology (also named after a band the film's sound technician started in high school).
- Montages: Two in the animated short.
- Mundane Afterlife: Hell seems to be organized like a corporation.
- MyersBriggs: According to Word of God, Sock is ESFP, Jonathan is either ISTJ or ISTP, and Mephistopheles is ESTJ.
- Odd Friendship: Sock and Jonathan.
- Offscreen After Life: In the animation, we only see Sock and Mephistopheles' reactions to what Hell looks like. The webcomic shows a little more, but not in great detail.
- Opening Monologue: "Sock just killed his parents... in his sleep.
- Our Demons Are Different
- People Fall Off Chairs: Jonathan falls off his chair in class because of Sock.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Sock is the Red Oni to Jonathan's Blue Oni.
- Refrigerator Ambush: The opening.
- Signed Up for the Dental: Mephistopheles apparently offers dental.
- Ship Tease: Lots of fans for Sockathan.
- Shout-Out: Mephistopheles mentions a fiddling contest, a reference to an old folktale involving a demon.
- Suburbia: Possibly where Jon lives.
- Take That!: When Mephistopheles is showing Sock what's been going on in hell, he says that the murderers and the network executives have been hanging out and simply cannot be a good influence on the other. When Sock asks if he means the murderers or the network executives, Mephistopholes' response is "either".
- Title Drop
- Typecasting: Mephistopheles' voice actor also plays a boss character in the animated short film, Bird And Fish.
- Vague Age: Sock's age is listed as 15-20, despite the fact that he could pass for considerably younger, while Jonathan's is listed as 16-19.
- Welcome to Hell: The title.
- Wiki Rule: There's a wiki right here.