- Adaptation Displacement: The animated short eclipses the original webcomic in terms of popularity. Understandable though since the the last posted page of the comic was before Sock got assigned to Jonathan, whereas the short is not only a complete story but getting a continuation. Not to mention Word of God states that the comic can be considered "concept art".
- Black Comedy: Some watchers of the film may take offense to the more morbid parts of the film.
- Cast Full of Gay: A common Fanon.
- Ear Worm: "I Will Never (Be Your Friend)" most definitely counts.
- Fanon: Quite a bit of it thanks to the Discord.
- Ho Yay: Between Sock and Jonathan. For all it's worth, the creator's personal headcanonnote is that Sock is bisexual, pansexual or simply doesn't care, while Jon is either straight or in denial.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: Many viewers of the short think that Sock is a girl due to his effeminate appearance, voice, and skirt.
- Trademark Favorite Food: The fandom suspects that Jon likes sandwiches, as they are the only thing he is seen eating in the animated short.
- The Woobie: Arguably Sock, especially regarding the All There in the Manual Word of God about him. He grew up with a Friendless Background save for his knife, he struggled with homicidal tendencies his whole life with his parents largely oblivious, he killed his parents in his sleep, and ended up Driven to Suicide as a result of not wanting to inconvenience everyone with a trial that he knew he'd be guilty of. And in the comic he dies a slow and painful death because he doesn't die right away when he stabs himself, and feels his "only friend" betrayed him.Comic!Sock: Is this your idea of a joke?! Watching me die?! Cuz... it's not funny. Jokes... jokes shouldn't last this long...
YMMV / Welcome to Hell