Basically, the fridge is the perfect place to hide, if you don't mind the cold. It muffles any noises you make, and whomever you're waiting for is bound to show up sooner or later. And they're guaranteed not to expect you, at least not in there. Plus, hey, there's food if you get hungry!
This trope is very different from It Came from the Fridge; that's about something that grew out of old and moldy food left in a fridge, whereas this is just someone hiding in the fridge. Similarly, it has nothing to do with being Stuffed into the Fridge, which is involuntary. Also unrelated to Fridge Logic or Fridge Horror.
- Played for Laughs in Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl: Meme leaves a note that there's cake in the fridge to celebrate Makoto's discharge from the hospital, and it's close to the expiration date, so he needs to eat it quick. It's an Overly Prepared Gag — the cake is herself.
- During JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, Devo the Cursed attempts to hide in the fridge to assassinate Polnareff Polnareff just calls him out to ask what kind of imbecile tries this while leaving the fridge's contents out in plain sight.
- One of the home invaders in Cthulhu Mansion gets snatched up by a demon hiding in a fridge.
- Inspector Clouseau's manservant, Cato, hides in the fridge in The Return of the Pink Panther.
- The main character of xXx: State of the Union uses the fridge to chill himself so he can hide from the thermal imaging cameras of a SWAT team he's ambushing.
- Breaking Bad: "Bullet Points" opens with Mike riding in the back of a Los Pollos Hermanos refrigerator truck transporting Gus Fring's meth. The truck is ambushed by cartel gunmen, who kill the driver and shoot up the truck with machine guns. They then break into the cargo area of the truck...and are promptly shot by Mike.
- Resident Evil
- In Resident Evil 0, there is a zombie hiding in a refrigerator in the dining car of the train. The zombie will pop out after you solve a few puzzles. Though interestingly you find a bottle of alcohol inside, heavily implying that before he became a zombie he had hid inside, drinking his terrors away.
- Similarly, in one of the later portions of Resident Evil 4, a Ganado bursts out of an oven to try to take down Leon while on fire. If Leon examines the oven afterwards, he wonders what the guy was doing in there in the first place.
- In Luigi's Mansion, an ice ghost will attack Luigi if he opens the fridge in the kitchen.
- In Cold Fear, when you enter the ship's kitchen and get close to the fridge, a Spring-Loaded Corpse will suddenly pop out. It's actually harmless, though the protagonist will still let out a "wtf is this?".
- The Robot Devil hides in the fridge in the Futurama episode "The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings".