- Kim: I want to be effluent, Mum, effluent.Kath: You are effluent, Kim.
An Australian comedy show created by Gina Riley and Jane Turner, which premiered in 2002. It ran for four seasons, as well as a special Christmas episode entitled 'da Kath and Kim Code' which aired on Christmas day 2005. It follows the family relationships and mishaps of title characters Kath Day, and her daughter Kim Craig, along with Kim's second best friend Sharon Strzelecki, Kath's fiance (then husband) Kel Knight, Kim's estranged husband Brett Craig, and in later seasons, Kim and Brett's daughter Epponnee Rae.
Brought across the Pacific for an American version in 2008, which only lasted one season and wasn't too succesful(though it did get released on DVD)
The show received its Grand Finale in the form of the 2012 film Kath and Kimderella.
Provides examples of:
- Alter-Ego Acting:
- Jane Turner and Gina Riley almost never do interviews or appear at awards ceremonies as themselves. Their only instance where they did promotion for Kath and Kim as themselves was on an episode of the talk show Enough Rope. However, Gina has done promotion for other things, such as her appearances in the stage versions of The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Chicago.
- They also appeared on radio shows Tough Love and Get This as themselves, but those shows were hosted by two former guest stars of the show (and friends of the pair) Mick Molloy (Gary Poole) and Tony Martin (Mark, the violinist) respectively.
- Basement-Dweller: Kim is a rare female example, Types 1 and 2. Kim moving out only to move back in is a running gag on the series beginning in the very first episode.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Kim was this when she was a teenager, and she still acts like it now, though with less emphasis on boys (she's too busy moping over Brett).
- Butt-Monkey: Sharon.
- Canine Companion: Brett's dog Cujo, whom he's seldom seen without.
- Chewing the Scenery: Kim has a tendency to do this.
- Christmas Special: Da Kath and Kim Code
- Compliment Backfire: When Kim solves the fake tan dilemma before Kath's hens night. Kath offers rare praise to her daughter but of course it goes wrong...Kim: Hold on. Turn the top around.Kath: Ohhh, yes thank you Kim. You're a genius. You're not a pretty face...
- Decade-Themed Party / Disco Dan: Kath still perms her hair and dresses as though it's still the '80s. She doesn't even seem to realize that times, and fashions, have changed. Lampshaded in 'Da Kath and Kim Code' where Kath arrives at an 80s themed party dressed in her everyday clothes...Kim: Oh, Mum! What a great costume!Sharon: Oh wow, Mrs D. You look hilarious. You're gonna win for sure. Where'd you get that?Kath: [Wearing an over-the-top 80's style pink outfit] Oh, from my wardrobe, Sharon. Costume?Kim: Yeah, it's an 80's party.Kath: Oh, no! Nobody told me! I would have put something funny on!
- Distracted by the Sexy: Shown in a flashback, revealing how Brett fell for Kim. He was originally Sharon's boyfriend, but was so Distracted by the Sexy that said relationship apparently disappeared entirely, including from everyone's memory save Sharon's
- Fan Disservice: Kim's outfits. She makes no attempt to hide her underwear when she's bending over in a miniskirt and in one episode considered hiking up her G-string above her pants.
- Fat Girl:
- Kim. Despite thinking she is the epitome of sexiness and slimness, and often squeezing herself into far-too-small clothing, the other characters have no qualms about pointing out how chubby she is. Especially her own mother!
- Also Sharon, who was played by the (at the time) obese Magda Szubanski. It is speculated that Kim keeps her around to make herself look better by comparison.
- Foreign Remake
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Kath, Kim and Sharon often slip into moments where two of them scream at each other, while the third breaks up the problem. Almost always it's Kim and Sharon arguing with Kath as the peacemaker, though occasionally Kim will scream on her own, calming down when Sharon slaps her.
- Hello, Sailor!: According to Kel, he Experimented In The Navy. He doesn't think it's a big deal. Kath does.
- Henpecked Husband: Brett.
- Imagine Spot: Kath imagines her granddaughter Epponnee-Rae's wedding day after Kim decides to audition the toddler on the soap Neighbours. Said granddaughter in the Imagine Spot is played by Kylie Minogue.
- It's All About Me: "Everyone's been acting really selfish lately. I'm the only one here thinking about me."
- Jerkass: Apart from Kim, there's Kylie and Dani Bolton, Mark, Sandy Freckle and Gary Pool.
- Jerkass Has a Point: When Kim blames her weight gain and laziness on Kath's lack of encouragement. Given how often Kath jokes about Kim's size, it's not hard to imagine that maybe Kath had been doing this for years, crippling Kim's self-esteem.
- Also when Kath and Kel are indulging in unhealthy food because it is 'fat free'. Despite Kath constantly nagging her about her diet, it's Kim that points out "look at the sugar content, Mum"
- Kavorka Man: By his own admission, Brett isn't much to look at, being a 20-something who is out of shape and has to suffer both balding and graying prematurely. Despite this he's been with Kim, Sharon and the Boltons.
- Kavorka Woman: Despite being plain and awkward, Sharon actually gets a lot of male attention, mainly because she's a sports enthusiast.
- Malaproper: The title characters were prone to this as a Running Gag. Examples include:
Kim: I want to be effluent, Mum. Effluent!Kath: You are effluent, Kim!
- Effluent (affluent):
Sharon: Where pacifically in the specific were you gonna go, Mrs D.?
- Pacific (specific):
Kim: [about their kitchen renovation] Brett and me have decided. We want solid monogamy.Kath: Oh no, Kim. Monogomy is very old fashioned, all you need is a veneer of monogomy.
- Monogamy (mahogany):
- Casting nasturtiums (aspersions)
- I'm gropeable (ropeable)
- Mistaken for Gay: Kim and Sharon in the second episode.
- Naked People Are Funny: The Series 2 premier has everyone but Kim experiment with nudism.
- Name and Name
- Nice Guy: Kel is an absolute sweetheart, but don't flirt with Kath in front of him.
- Nouveau Riche: Lampooned to a T.
- Playing Gertrude: This has been virtually Jane Turner's only role during her 40's. Kath is supposed to be around 50.
- Opposites Theme Naming: Kath Day and Kel Knight. Kel tries to propose by asking Kath if she'd like to "turn Day into Knight".
- Real Life Writes the Plot: The actress playing Sharon (Magda Szubanski) came out as gay in 2012, which led to a number of lesbian references for Sharon in the 2012 movie 'Kath and Kimderella'.
- Rhymes on a Dime: Trude and Prue tend to slip into this.Trude: Oh, that reminds me — that little man from Beechtree and Sons is coming over to talk jojoba.Prue: I hope he's sober. We've got stacks of jojoba left over from October!
- Running Gag: It's noice, it's different, it's unyoosual.
- And of course 'Look at moi'.
- Shout-Out: Kylie and Dani Bolton are obviously named after the Minogue sisters, with a possible reference to Michael Bolton.
- Spicy Latina: Angel in the U.S. remake
- Spin-Off: The three main characters of Kath, Kim and Sharon originally appeared on the sketch comedy shows Fast Forward, Big Girls Blouse, and Something Stupid before finally achieving real success with Kath and Kim. However, the sketches and the show don't operate in the same continuity, as Sharon was originally married with children.
- StealthPun/VisualPun: One so subtle it's hard to know if it was intentional: In a series 1 episode, Kath and Kim are discussing Kath's and Kel's upcoming wedding. Kim says they should just elope and save everyone a lot of effort. Kath replies that she can't elope, having just gotten a particular type of melon out of the fridge.
- Those Two Guys: Trude and Prue, the Kath and Kim doppelgangers who work at a homewares store.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: Kim. She's a horrible, HORRIBLE person. But we like her anyway.
- Why Would Anyone Take Her Back??: Brett is far too forgiving of Kim. When he first asked her out, she callously dropped her current boyfriend. did he really imagine a stable future with this woman?
- Your Cheating Heart: In series 1 both Kath and Kel suspected each other of this.
- In series 2 Mark brazenly flirts with another woman in front of Sharon. There's also hints that Kim was impregnated by a waiter turns out she wasn't.
- In series 3 there's hints that Sharon and Brett might get back together. Confirmed with a brief moment of passion in series 4.