Lynn's life suddenly changes when the people in her village are attacked and raped by bandits after the hero of her kingdom, Prince Siegfried, was killed. She flees into the nearby forest where she finds a magical sword. This sword is possessed by the spirit of Siegfried, who takes control of Lynn's body to defeat her assailants. Her village is then saved by an army led by Brunhild, the queen of the neighboring kingdom of Burgundy.
Vowing to become a strong woman like Brunhild, Lynn is invited to enter the Rosengarten Schlacht, a tournament where the winner will be rewarded with the treasure Siegfried left behind after his death. Lynn and Siegfried then decide to participate in the tournament. Lynn wants to win to get Queen Brunhild's attention, while Siegfried needs to get his hands on one of his magic tools that can revive him.
Rosengarten Saga (ローゼンガーテン・サーガ, rōzengāten sāga) is a manga written by Fuji Sakimori and drawn by Yōsetsu Tonooka, published in Shogakukan's Monthly Hero's magazine and on its Comiplex website since August 2020.
Rosengarten Saga provides examples of:
- Anachronism Stew: The setting seems to be a medieval fantasy world with dragons, crossbows and swords, yet Arthur is a modern Idol Singer and Ali Baba is riding a motorbike.
- Black Comedy Rape: All over the place. The comedy usually comes from how absurd the circunstances are.
- Deliberate Values Dissonance: Unusual fetishes aside, the way most characters view rape and other forms of sexual harassment as no big deal reflects how things were in Medieval Europe very well. Siegfried is seen as a hero despite stealng and raping his way to power because in the past, that's what made someone a hero: getting everything they want no matter how many try to stop them.
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink: The story borrows a lot of characters from famous German epic poems like the Nibelungenlied, but mixes it up with other myths and stories like the Arthurian Legend, Arabian Nights and Beowulf.
- Fractured Fairy Tale:
- Most prominently featured is the Nibelungenlied, with Siegfried being reknowned for defeating a dragon and being murdered by Hagen von Tronje, and there are other prominent heroes like Dietrich von Bern, but everyone is incredibly perverted.
- Arthur is supported by Merlin and the Knights of the Round Table... but Arthur is a cross-dressing Idol Singer and Merlin acts as a producer.
- Ali Baba is riding a motorbike and is also a Mad Bomber.
- Gratuitous German: Rosengarten is German for "garden of roses" and the subtitles of the chapters always contain German words.
- World of Jerkass: Excluding the main character, most people in this world are either sexual deviants or highly violent psychos. Or both.