In the crowded lonely night
Well I wait so long
For my love vibration
And I'm dancing with myself."
In some cases, a program - or advertisement - will show someone dancing by themselves. Typically this is a person doing a side-to-side move but depending on how well they do, it could be quite good. (Note that the music video of the eponymous song shows Billy Idol fighting off zombies, and holding onto a transformer and shooting electricity at them, but he never dances.)
See also "Risky Business" Dance.
- The Washington, D.C. area Value City Furniture shows people dancing by themselves next to the ad copy.
- Allstate insurance showed people dancing by themselves when they discovered they saved money over their previous car insurance company.
- The old Apple iPod ads iconically featured silhouettes of people dancing by themselves.
- In The Slipper and the Rose, Cinderella and the Prince both do this during the song "He/She Danced With Me", as they remember their dance with each other.
- In the film Royal Wedding, Fred Astaire does an amazing dance with a coat rack for a partner, and makes the coat rack actually look like it knows how to dance. A YouTube clip appears here.
- Tom Cruise's famous dance in his underwear to the tune of Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock and Roll" is one of the highlights to the film Risky Business.
- For some reason, in Van Helsing Dracula does this at one point.
- Hugh Grant as the Prime Minister in Love Actually... before being caught and quickly shrugging it off.
- In Harry Potter, Nevil Longbottom does this in the fourth movie. In his pajamas.
- In the Friends episode, "The One With the Ballroom Dancing", Joey is seen ballroom dancing by himself after the cleaning man (who had been using Joey as a practice partner) had to leave
- Neil from The Inbetweeners demonstrates an amazing level of dancing skill at a Caravan Club party. This skill gets a Call-Back in The Movie, where Neil starts an Accidental Dance Craze with some hilariously awkward moves.
- Artie on Glee performs the song and rehearses by himself in the auditorium in Season One episode "Wheels."
- Betty from Ugly Betty dances with herself to the song by Billy Idol in a crowded dance party while Matt looks on. This is in the episode Plus None.
- Dan from One Tree Hill is seen practicing dancing with his iPod in his ears, much to the embarrassment of Nathan who catches him.
- As he tries to calm down a midlife crisis, Hard-Drinking Party Girl Lois in Family Guy, Peter meets Mayor Adam West, who is looking for his clean laundry. Peter discovers that West has confused the nightclub with a laundry, and there's even a Cutaway Gag of Mayor West dancing wildly in the waiting area of a laundry as the staff behind the counter work as usual; the sound of the telephone chimes and West cheers, "I love this song!" and dances even wilder.
- Slow dance enthusiast Jimmy Pesto, Jr. does this a lot on Bob's Burgers.