Michael Jai White (born November 10, 1967) is an American actor and martial artist who has appeared in numerous films and television series. He is the first African American to portray a major comic book superhero in a major motion picture, having starred as Al Simmons, the protagonist in the 1997 film Spawn. White is also known for his performances as boxer Mike Tyson in the 1995 HBO television movie Tyson, Marcus Williams in Why Did I Get Married?, Why Did I Get Married Too?, and on the TBS/OWN comedy-drama television series Tyler Perry's For Better or Worse, Jax Briggs in Mortal Kombat: Legacy and the title role in Black Dynamite.
As an accomplished martial artist, White (who started training at the age of eight) holds black belts in seven different styles: Shotokan, Tae Kwon Do, Kobudo, Goju Ryu, Tang Soo Do, Wushu and Kyokushin; with a specific focus in Kyokushin (although his style incorporates aspects of many different martial arts forms).
- The Toxic Avenger Part II
- The Toxic Avenger Part III: The Last Temptation of Toxie
- City of Industry
- Universal Soldier: The Return
- Exit Wounds
- Silver Hawk
- Undisputed II: Last Man Standing
- Why Did I Get Married
- The Dark Knight
- Black Dynamite
- Blood and Bone
- Why Did I Get Married Too?
- Mortal Kombat: Rebirth
- Mortal Kombat: Legacy
- Tactical Force
- Never Back Down 2
- Android Cop
- Skin Trade
- Falcon Rising
- Accident Man
Tropes applicable to his works:
- Badass Baritone
- Genius Bruiser: His characters in Undisputed II, Blood and Bone and Exit Wounds are all highly intelligent individuals.
- Lightning Bruiser: Despite his size, he moves quite quickly.
- Mr. Fanservice: He's jacked...and usually shows it in most of the movies he's in.
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs
- Scary Black Man: Most of his roles, no matter if they're not villains.
- Shirtless Scene
- Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny
- What Could Have Been: Was scheduled to play Jax in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, but could not due to conflicts with Spawn. He would eventually land the part in Mortal Kombat: Rebirth and Mortal Kombat: Legacy.
- Younger Than They Look: He was able to teach a martial arts class at the age of 14 because of this. Due to his deep voice and large, imposing figure, most people didn't believe he WASN'T an adult.