Martin Hayter Short OC (born March 26, 1950) is a Canadian-American actor, comedian, singer and writer born in Hamilton, Ontario. After joining the Second City theater in the late 70s, he transitioned to television starting with SCTV and later Saturday Night Live for the show's tenth seasonnote . Short's memorable characters (some of which were holdovers from SCTV) include:
- Ed Grimley: a hyper, over-optimistic, cow-licked nerd who wears black pants and a yellow plaid shirt. While the SCTV version of the character had him as a perpetually miscast actor in TV and films, the SNL version was a somewhat normal man who found himself in bizarre situations, such as meeting a man who constantly gets struck by lightning, being targeted by Jon Lovitz's Devil character, and having a near-death experience where his guardian angel tells him to go back to Earth and get a life. The SNL variation of Ed Grimley was used when Short created a Saturday morning cartoon (The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley) based on him.
- Irving Cohen: A songwriter.
- Jackie Rogers, Jr.: A cross-eyed, albino game show host.
- Lawrence Orback: One of the Synchronized Swimmers
His film career took off in the mid 80s when he appeared in ¡Three Amigos! alongside Chevy Chase and Steve Martin. Since then, he has appeared in Innerspace, Father of the Bride, Clifford, Mars Attacks!, A Simple Wish, The Santa Clause 3 and Frankenweenie, among many others.
He also continues to work in television, hosting Primetime Glick as the obnoxious celebrity interviewer Jiminy Glick, playing a rare dramatic role in Damages and headlining the Maya & Marty variety show with Maya Rudolph.
His autobiography, I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend, was published in 2014.
- SCTV (1981-1984): various characters
- Saturday Night Live (1984-1985): various characters
- ¡Three Amigos! (1986): Ned Nederlander
- Innerspace (1987): Jack Putter
- Three Fugitives (1989): Ned Perry
- The Big Picture (1989): Neil Sussman
- Father of the Bride (1991): Franck Eggelhoffer
- Pure Luck (1991): Eugene Proctor
- Captain Ron (1992): Martin Harvey
- We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story (1993): Stubbs the Clown (voice)
- Clifford (1994): Clifford Daniels
- The Pebble and the Penguin (1995): Hubie (voice)
- Mars Attacks! (1996): Jerry Ross
- Creature Crunch (1996): Wesley/Dr. Drod (voice)
- Jungle 2 Jungle (1997): Richard Kempster
- A Simple Wish (1997): Murray
- The Prince of Egypt (1998): Huy (voice)
- Merlin (1998): Frik
- Alice in Wonderland (1999): Mad Hatter
- Mumford (1999): Lionel Dillard
- Get Over It (2001): Dr. Desmond Forrest Oates
- Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (2001): Ooblar (voice)
- Primetime Glick (2001-2003): Jiminy Glick
- Treasure Planet (2002): B.E.N. (voice)
- The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause (2006): Jack Frost
- Damages (2010): Leonard Winstone/Lester Wiggin
- The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That! (2010-2018): The Cat in the Hat (voice)
- Weeds (2011): Steward Havens
- How I Met Your Mother (2011-2012): Garrison Cootes
- Frankenweenie (2012): Edward Frankenstein/Mr. Bergermesiter/Nassor (voice)
- The Wind Rises: Kurokawa (voice in the English dub)
- Inherent Vice (2014): Rudy Blatnoyd
- Maya & Marty (2016): Himself/various characters
- The Addams Family (2019): Grandpa Frump (voice)