Martin Hayter Short CM (born March 26, 1950 in Hamilton, Ontario) is a Canadian-American actor, comedian, singer and writer. After joining the Second City theater in the late 70s, he transitioned to television starting with SCTV and later Saturday Night Live for the show's tenth seasonnote . Short's memorable characters (some of which were holdovers from SCTV) include:
- Ed Grimley: a hyper, over-optimistic, cow-licked nerd who wears black pants and a yellow plaid shirt. While the SCTV version had him as a perpetually miscast actor in TV and films, the Saturday Night Live version of Ed Grimley was a somewhat normal man who found himself in bizarre situations, such as meeting a man who constantly gets struck by lightning, being targeted by Jon Lovitz's Devil character, and having a near-death experience where his guardian angel tells him to go back to Earth and get a life. The SNL variation of Ed Grimley was used when Short created a Saturday morning cartoon (The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley) based on him.
- Irving Cohen: A songwriter.
- Jackie Rogers, Jr.: A cross-eyed, albino game show host.
- Lawrence Orback: One of the Synchronized Swimmers
Short's celebrity impressions include Jerry Lewis, Katherine Hepburn, Robin Williams, Mick Jagger, and Paul Simon.
His film career took off in the mid 80s when he appeared in ¡Three Amigos! alongside Chevy Chase and Steve Martin. Since then, he has appeared in Innerspace, Father of the Bride, Clifford, Mars Attacks!, A Simple Wish, The Santa Clause 3 and Frankenweenie, among many others.
He also continues to work in television, hosting Primetime Glick as the obnoxious celebrity interviewer Jiminy Glick, playing a rare dramatic role in Damages and headlining the Maya & Marty variety show with Maya Rudolph.
His autobiography, I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend, was published in 2014.
- SCTV (1981-1984): Various Characters.
- Saturday Night Live (1984-1985): Various Characters.
- ¡Three Amigos! (1986): Ned Nederlander.
- Innerspace (1987): Jack Putter.
- Three Fugitives (1989): Ned Perry.
- The Big Picture (1989): Neil Sussman.
- Father of the Bride (1991): Franck Eggelhoffer.
- Captain Ron (1992): Martin Harvey.
- Clifford (1994): Clifford Daniels.
- Mars Attacks! (1996): Jerry Ross.
- Creature Crunch (1996): Wesley and Dr. Drod.
- Jungle 2 Jungle (1997): Richard Kempster.
- A Simple Wish (1997): Murray.
- The Prince of Egypt (1998): Huy.
- Merlin (1998): Frik.
- Alice in Wonderland (1999): Mad Hatter.
- Primetime Glick (2001-2003): Jiminy Glick.
- The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause (2006): Jack Frost.
- Damages (2010): Leonard Winstone/Lester Wiggin.
- Weeds (2011): Steward Havens.
- How I Met Your Mother (2011-2012): Garrison Cootes.
- Frankenweenie (2012): Edward Frankenstein/Mr. Bergermesiter/Nassor.
- Maya & Marty (2016): Himself/Various Characters.