Amy Louise Sedaris (born March 29, 1961) is an actress and comedian, best known as Jerri Blank on the cult TV series Strangers with Candy. She also voices regular character Princess Carolyn on BoJack Horseman. As of 2017, she also hosts her own show on, At Home with Amy Sedaris, which is an Affectionate Parody of cooking, DIY, and home-crafts programs.
She has also written two books focused on crafting and hospitality, with a humorous twist, entitled I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence (2006) and Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People (2010) (with her ex-boyfriend and frequent collaborator Paul Dinello).
She is the younger sister of the humorist and This American Life contributor David Sedaris. Despite being the Butt-Monkey in several of his tales of the Sedaris family, they are said to be very close friends as adults; they're certainly close enough to write plays together as "The Talent Family".
This actress provides examples of:
- Beauty Inversion: Sedaris wanted to avert Hollywood Homely for her character in Strangers With Candy, so she made the character into The Grotesque.
- Cloudcuckoolander: She could give Robin Williams tips in high-speed free association.
- Irony: She is currently appearing in a TV advert for a washing machine additive, and is dressed as the perfect Stepford Wife in fifties clothes and hairdo. It is obvious she's exaggerating the stereotype for laughs; and the pose becomes hilarious when you discover she is also Jeri Blank...note
- Motor Mouth: Just watch her in interviews.
- Older Than They Look: She attributes her youthful appearance to genetics.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: She stands at only five feet tall.
- She's Got Legs: At five feet, her legs make up half of her height.